• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wan Pisu Spoilers said:
- In the cover the old lady appears and attacks the guys from last week.
- Little flashback continues but I don´t understand
- Party ends, Marine and the children say goodbye to Luffy and the other.
- Children don´t want separete from Mugiwara crew but Marine force them (all cry).
- Doflamingo continues his trip but he finds something in the sea.
- It´s a boat with Baby 5 and Buffalo heads (they are alive, Law uses his powers), a Den Den Mushi with Law´s appearance and a bomb.
- Law and Doflamingo talk, chapter ends with a very angry Doflamingo.
Nothing mindblowing then.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kenshin's Tomoe arc was amazing, one of the best in the manga. The OVA upped it up to amazing new heights too.

It's funny though how Watsuki openly displayed his displeasure about how the OVA ended. The guy's in love with his happy endings after all :)

After all the shit he put Kenshin through in that final arc I'm not shocked. If anyone deserved a good end...

Piecake

Is Pixel God still doing requests? If so, do you mind making a Rak Wraithraiser (Tower of God) avatar for me?

images

images

Raleader!!!.png

Soon, all you stupid turtles will bow down before me

Thanks a bunch!

Its pretty funny that those 3 pictures basically encapsulate his character, lol

One Piece stuff

I think the villains of the Fishman Island arc were pretty lame. In terms of power-level, probably the weakest bunch of scrubs since Long Ring Island and Amazon Lily. In terms of character importance and personality, probably just above Long Ring Island and maybe equal to Impel Down (aside from Blackbeard's appearance).

It feels like the villains here were all mostly engineered out of convenience (read: pulled out of the ass) to have some opposition in a story arc meant to show off other more important non-conflict stuff (the underwater world, the Fishmen backstory, Poseidon, the path to the New World, etc).

At the same time, most of the action is clearly meant to show off how much stronger the characters have become, so there's very little tension at all, but it does make the action more enjoyable to read in a sense that the reader is just cheering on the heroes as all the baddies get serious beat downs.

Let's look at the sample of pathetic villains offered in the arc:

- A bunch of scrub pretenders to try to steal the Straw Hat's identities, serving as comic relief at the start of the arc.

- Rookie lamer pirates who join up with said pretenders, only to get pissed later and go after the real deal for "revenge", serving as comic relief for the rest of the arc as the captain has caught and beaten up every step of the way.

- Crazy stalker loser whose only power is to lock-on to anything. Has no training, sucks at real combat.

- Gang of super racist Fishmen who are racist for no reason than the fact that they were written to be racist (wow, this was even an actual plot point at the end where they acknowledge they had no reason to be racist at all!) and they suck so much they have to take steroids to actually beat anyone up. Steroids which make them... get older and older each time they use them! Lulz.

Fucking awful bunch of lamers! Lol.

Thanks for the answer and i agree they were lame and basically used as fodder to show the growth of the Straw Hats, but i also wonder if that was a good thing since FI was hyped for a bit.

As for the fake straw hats it was funny for a chapter then it got annoying when real straw hats thought they were real plus it showed that those pirates are fucking idiots. The good thing about it was showing how the reputation of the SH's and Straw Hat Luffy had increased (to the point that fakes appeared to reap the benefits)

Honestly I'm glad they were just racist to be racist instead of having some sort of tragic back story ala Arlong who had reasons for his hatred of humans that we learned about during the arc. Plus it fit with the theme of the arc

it was cool to see where Arlong was coming from and i did like the fact they were racist for no reason due to having a villain that had no redeeming features whatsoever, but my problem was that THEY FUCKING SUCKED ASS.

They were weak as shit and the leader had nothing to keep him interesting (no charisma, no leadership qualities, not even maniplative enough to sucessfully push an agenda to his benefit), it was pathetic

IHaveIce

Banned
I don't think it's actually something we'll ever see again. The thing with Thriller Bark is that at the end of the arc you think that Moriah and his ship were behind the disappearances that made the Florian Triangle famous. But then NOPE. There is actually a giant monster. End of that plotline.

It would be much more awesome if he doesn't reveal it actually. Make it so that in the vast ocean word there are just many enigmas that cannot be answered.

Yeah didn't thought about these possibilities. But I'm just a really curious guy and this kind of stuff is hard for me :(

I'm still so angry that nobody talked already about what they experienced in the 2 years.. I mean Robin could possibly met Dragon :(

Full One Piece spoilers incoming.

Chapter 697: Deal
coverstory, the old lady throws rocks at the soldiers, chasing them away

Continuation of the flashback from last week.
Law tells Luffy although they share the same interesting, to claim he'll take on all of the Four Emeprors is underestimating them.
They are Emperors that competed with Whitebeard for piece of this ocean, and the Kaidou of Hundred Beast is known as the "strongest creature in this world".
Nami in Franky body: What!? He's not even a human!?
Law says the rate of success in their plan to take down Kaidou is approximately 30%.
But Luffy agrees regardless

Back to the party
Law tells Smoker there's no deep meaning behind letting him live.
He plans to head to "Green Bit", but he can't be sure he can manage the Straw Hats.

Due to Nami and Chopper's plea, Luffy has the kids board the tanker and G-5 Marines will take them with them.
Little drama with G-5 as they draw the line again to separate them from kids, barricading at the line to keep the kids from saying farewell.
They scream about pirates being evil, and marines are the justice, but all just to convince themselves and not admit they actually like the Straw Hats
The kids say they'll be a pirate when they grow up lol.

Doflamingo is still running in the air, saying the brats are lucky... the "road of sky" was ended short unexpectedly.
He finds a yacht with the heads of Buffalo and Baby 5. Heads are severed by they are alive, due to Law's ability.
They apologize to the boss how they failed the mission.

He tells them not to worry, it wasn't their fault... they were just following his orders.
The den-den mushi Law left there speaks out to Dofla. I'm surprised to see the boss-man show up himself!
If you're looking for Caesar, he's with me. Dofla demands the body of his crewmates back, but Law offers to strike a deal with Dofla.

Law notes Dofla's most important client is Kaidou, even Dofla couldn't afford to piss off that man.
If he learns that you can't create SMILE anymore, he will kill you.
Dofla tells him to stop fooling around, what do you want for Caesar.

Law tells him to quit the Shichibukai.
Throw away the position that took you a decade to build, and return back to piracy.
Of course, doing so will put you at the wrath of the Admirals. Time limit is tomorrow's morning newspaper.
If he doesn't see the news of you leaving the Shichibukai, this deal is off.

Doflamingo is clearly upset, an also sweating in worry...!

End

D. Gray Man Vol. 2 (Chap. 8-16)

I enjoyed this arc. The fights were fun, and Allen's new weapon was neat. Relationship between the doll and the human was nice. Kanda is a pretty cool character as well so far, I feared he would end up like this, but so far, so good. Happy to see that Viz is still publishing this, both physically and digitally. Hopefully they keep going 'til the end. Or maybe I'll stop reading after the switch from weekly to monthly since I hear it's so awful, but I'll find out myself.

Also, I'm overjoyed to find out I'm not the only one who thinks Reborn is a huge piece of shit. I'll admit I liked the Mukuro and Varia arcs, but goddamn. Everything else was painful to read.

The first 150-160 chapters of D Gray-Man are so damn amazing. You will see.

Kaidou being the strongest creature in the world didn't get him OP or beat Whitebeard did it? :p

I always liked Law and this is another moment of his badass manipulations. His devil power is also my favorite besides Aokiji's Ice powers.

Kaidou being the strongest creature in the world didn't get him OP or beat Whitebeard did it? :p

I always liked Law and this is another moment of his badass manipulations. His devil power is also my favorite besides Aokiji's Ice powers.

It's possible he's stronger NOW that WB is dead

Maybe he got it after WB died still there is more to getting the OP that being strong .
You have to find a way to get to Raftel , i expect Oda to come with some sort of crazy way to get there .

one piece spoilers are interesting. Isn´t Kaidou a Fishmen?
Well it wouldn't be just between them. All the emperors lock one another down.
Wrong. Kaidou tried to stop Shanks from stopping the war and he failed. Not all the emperor are at the same level. Whitebeard was standing on top of the pile of course.

Mr. Fix

IIRC Shanks stopped him from taking over WB's turf while WB was going for Ace.

True. Though I doubt it'd be wise to lose some of his crew and then move onto WB so soon. It was supposed to be a back attack as well, right?

one piece spoilers are interesting. Isn´t Kaidou a Fishmen?

There's been nothing on his appearance so far.

Wrong. Kaidou tried to stop Shanks from stopping the war and he failed. Not all the emperor are at the same level. Whitebeard was standing on top of the pile of course.

That's precisely my point. I assume crimson expected Kaidou to be the strongest.

You are wrong Kaidou try to attack WB and Shanks stop him from doing it .
Truth is i don't even think WB was still the strongest during the war .

Probably. He's probably had a good chunk of practice with the Gura Gura fruit by now. However I don't think his attracting ability works on non-DF users.

It really depends we know that Kaidou was going to attack WB and he had the Gura Gura fruit for years .
Now we find out Kaidou is the strongest creature in the world , these guys got to be crazy if they could have keep up with WB .

No I'm sure without a doubt that Shanks is the strongest Yonkou for the most part even with his arm missing. Of course with Blackbeard's broken ability it might be different now.

It would be insane if Oda reveals that Mihawk used to be part of Shanks crew and he rejoins just to fight Zoro when Luffy and Shanks clash.

It isn't as simple as who is the strongest Yonkou of the 4 considering resources and crew size to each other.

I mean Shanks has only 1 ship from what we saw while the others have multiple crews and ships. Each Yonkou has their own sizable territory and advantages. The Straw Hats are in for a tough fight.

Mr. Fix

It really depends we know that Kaidou was going to attack WB and he had the Gura Gura fruit for years .
Now we find out Kaidou is the strongest creature in the world , these guys got to be crazy if they could have keep up with WB .

I'm sure they are. Strongest Creature could still be 2nd only to the Strongest Man though. I don't think they would have attempted that if the WB pirates weren't caught up/on their way to fight the marines.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Note that Law says he's the strongest creature, not man or woman. Perhaps Kaido is similar to Bepo or Pekoms? A talking animal that isn't Devil Fruit related (I know Pekoms has one, but he's a lion that ate a turtle devil fruit, it's different).

I'm sure they are. Strongest Creature could still be 2nd only to the Strongest Man though. I don't think they would have attempted that if the WB pirates weren't caught up/on their way to fight the marines.

True but i also think the other Yonkou could have taken out WB at that point in time.
The war made rather clear that he was far from what he used to be .

Note that Law says he's the strongest creature, not man or woman. Perhaps Kaido is similar to Bepo or Pekoms? A talking animal that isn't Devil Fruit related (I know Pekoms has one, but he's a lion that ate a turtle devil fruit, it's different).

Maybe he can somehow morph into a hundred different animals.

Or maybe he ate the Mythical Zoan: Model Hydra or something.

It would be something if Kaido was something like Chopper...an animal that ate a fruit that allowed it to be intelligent. I'm not sure what other fruit but a Human Human fruit could do that though, unless there's ones for other races...like a Giant Giant fruit

Mr. Fix

one of us, one of us.

one piece

Is it likely that the Whitebeard crew are now part of Shanks´s crew? I´m thinking yes, since Shanks helped them and Whitebeard appreciated him.

a) Part of Shanks' crew
b) Revolutionaries
c) On their own, in hiding

I'm banking on one of the last two though.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Or they all started their own crews. Roger's crew did the same thing when he died. Well, at least Shanks and Buggy did. Crocus returned to Laboon and Rayleigh just did whatever he wanted.

Kusagari

Or they all started their own crews. Roger's crew did the same thing when he died. Well, at least Shanks and Buggy did. Crocus returned to Laboon and Rayleigh just did whatever he wanted.

I doubt it since the family aspect was such a huge part of Whitebeard's crew.

I'm pretty sure they're just under Marco now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Naruto

Holy fucking shit; this totally makes no sense but I don't care I totally need to see Naruto fight Minato. I mean, its practically a deus ex machina, but Hiruzen woooo

What does this mean for the other half of Kurama's chakra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom