• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
Sure, except that its total BS where Kenpachi was secretly stronger than the strongest captain when he was just some crazy kid and he magically got weaker as an excuse to give him powerups without actually making him do anything.

Its totally arbitrary to just say "this chapter is good because a thing was explained."
None of that is really relevant to the quality of the chapter. In this Bleach chapter we got good character interaction and some nice, but slow, character development, which was a nice change of pace form the usual shit Kubo gives. It doesn't matter if Zaraki is more powerful than Unohana as a child, when the quality is actually pretty decent. It wasn't some type of A+ spectacular chapter, but it wasn't awful and actually had some strong moments in it. Especially since we're in the middle of a training arc, to have actual character interaction play a role in that is pretty decent manga.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
None of that is really relevant to the quality of the chapter. In this Bleach chapter we got good character interaction and some nice, but slow, character development, which was a nice change of pace form the usual shit Kubo gives. It doesn't matter if Zaraki is more powerful than Unohana as a child, when the quality is actually pretty decent. It wasn't some type of A+ spectacular chapter, but it wasn't awful and actually had some strong moments in it.
Its completely relevant. This is what I mean in saying your grades are arbitrary; one week the quality of a reveal matters and then the next week it doesn't.

Forgot about that.

I have a knack for remembering small details in narratives, you can imagine my suffering back when I still followed Bleach and slowly began to realize that Kubo is chronically incapable of remembering his own story.

I just think its lame that instead of getting stronger, it just turns out he's been weak the whole time for a highly implausible reason. That whole "I just LOVE the thrill of battle" shit is practically a dead-horse trope at this point.

I was happy to hear that Kubo had his own fashion store now because it gives me hope that he will finally embrace his true calling and stop attempting to write manga.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh yeah, cause obviously I've been dropping F's at Unohana's reveal, obviously.
Its completely relevant and there isn't any reason at all it isn't relevant other than arbitrarily declaring it "not relevant." This is all very vague - what "good character interaction" is there and what makes it any different than any other bit of dialogue, say, last week or the week before that?

I have a knack for remembering small details in narratives, you can imagine my suffering back when I still followed Bleach and slowly began to realize that Kubo is chronically incapable of remembering his own story.
I don't think that's true. He remembers the story just fine, he just doesn't know where he's going with it. The fact that we're fighting some random Ghost Nazis kind of solidifies that line of thinking.

Big One

Banned
Its completely relevant and there isn't any reason at all it isn't relevant other than arbitrarily declaring it "not relevant." This is all very vague - what "good character interaction" is there and what makes it any different than any other bit of dialogue, say, last week or the week before that?
Last's week's dialogue: I activate my ultimate attack, ULTIMO BUSO RENKIN BANKAI YU GI OOOOH!
This week's dialogue: This kid has potential.

There's a severe difference here. When you get actual communication involved it completely changes the tone of the manga from the standard garbage shonen tripe. It isn't spectacular, but it's noticeable. Unohana talking about Zaraki is infinitely more interesting than Yamamoto beating up Floyd and Loyd.

Angry Grimace

I once had a very long list of outright contradictions and continuity errors which I threw away after I stopped giving a shit.

I can't think of a bunch of them off the top of my head, at least. You can write a bad, consistent story.

Last's week's dialogue: I activate my ultimate attack, ULTIMO BUSO RENKIN BANKAI YU GI OOOOH!
This week's dialogue: This kid has potential.

There's a severe difference here. When you get actual communication involved it completely changes the tone of the manga from the standard garbage shonen tripe. It isn't spectacular, but it's noticeable. Unohana talking about Zaraki is infinitely more interesting than Yamamoto beating up Floyd and Loyd.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious quality difference between "I activate my ultimate attack" and "this kid has potential?" Arguments are made in analysis, not conclusions.

The line of reasoning you're throwing out here doesn't say anything. All you're doing is pointing out the factual issue of what the character said last week and what the character said this week and throwing in some vague references to "standard garbage shonen tripe" as though that's demonstrative of your point. Explain to me with some kind of analysis why the character interaction was good in this chapter - from my perspective, her dialogue wasn't special at all and Kenpachi practically had no dialogue himself.

Bleach

I thought Unohana being a Kenpachi and the worst criminal was a nice reveal, but it just came to me how Kubo ruined that, by letting a 10 year old boy beat her. Seeing Zaraki on top of that pile of bodies was cute, in a weird way, and I probably would've accepted that event being his origins that inspired and shaped him. But him wielding a zanpakuto, in shikai form, from a shinigami he must've killed before, and slashing Yachiru? Eh.

7 Seed Hana/Arashi Bitching

Holy shit can someone smack these two characters? Particularly Hana she's depicted as both the strong/independent type and at the same time "how do I live without Arashi" AHHHHHHHHHHHH STOP! I

Angry Grimace

I wish Kubo had done that much at least. Would've shown he cares.

Are we still talking about Bleach here?

I'm not buying the argument that Bleach is full of plot holes. It has a shonen adventure time plot, but I'm not going to take it at face value that its totally contradictory without some kind of example.

I'm not buying the argument that Bleach is full of plot holes. It has a shonen adventure time plot, but I'm not going to take it at face value that its totally contradictory without some kind of example.

Four years ago I would have written you an essay, but nowadays I put as much effort into my criticisms as Kubo does in his consistency.

7 Seed Hana/Arashi Bitching

Holy shit can someone smack these two characters? Particularly Hana she's depicted as both the strong/independent type and at the same time "how do I live without Arashi" AHHHHHHHHHHHH STOP! I

Hana is pretty spoiled from all the reactions and attention she gets. It made me dislike her in the last few chapters.

Kokonoe

Banned
Naruto 618

Oh my goodness.

This is the first time in awhile that the manga has caught me off guard, I can't wait to see what's going to happen in the next chapter.
I wonder if the souls are permanently saved or is it just for this talknojutsu?

Angry Grimace

Naruto 618

Oh my goodness.

This is the first time in awhile that the manga has caught me off guard, I can't wait to see what's going to happen in the next chapter.

There wasn't any indication that it was anything other than a bog standard Edo Tensei. It would have been much better if the souls themselves literally just starting talking like ghosts rather than even more Edo Tensei.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Naruto 618

Oh my goodness.

Well at least we know where Naruto's next power-up is coming from.

Yonafunu

Bleach

I thought Unohana being a Kenpachi and the worst criminal was a nice reveal, but it just came to me how Kubo ruined that, by letting a 10 year old boy beat her. Seeing Zaraki on top of that pile of bodies was cute, in a weird way, and I probably would've accepted that event being his origins that inspired and shaped him. But him wielding a zanpakuto, in shikai form, from a shinigami he must've killed before, and slashing Yachiru? Eh.

Why do you think it's not his own?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Let's not forget Ichigo is owning bitches left and right and he's not even 20 yet.

Big One

Banned
Thanks for pointing out the obvious quality difference between "I activate my ultimate attack" and "this kid has potential?" Arguments are made in analysis, not conclusions.

The line of reasoning you're throwing out here doesn't say anything. All you're doing is pointing out the factual issue of what the character said last week and what the character said this week and throwing in some vague references to "standard garbage shonen tripe" as though that's demonstrative of your point. Explain to me with some kind of analysis why the character interaction was good in this chapter - from my perspective, her dialogue wasn't special at all and Kenpachi practically had no dialogue himself.

The character interaction was good because I was emotionally invested in it in some form or another. Kubo drew facial expressions right for once, making his characters show emotion at appropriate times in the course of telling it's story. If you try to think about logic in terms of, "I can't believe Zaraki is more powerful than Unohana as a child." is completely missing the point of the backstory taking place.

Obviously it isn't anything special, but it's there, so it gets a B, cause it's nothing more than that. A B quality chapter, not a C quality chapter, a B quality chapter.

Character development happened, and character development practically never happens in Bleach.

Angry Grimace

The character interaction was good because I was emotionally invested in it in some form or another. Kubo drew facial expressions right for once, making his characters show emotion at appropriate times in the course of telling it's story. If you try to think about logic in terms of, "I can't believe Zaraki is more powerful than Unohana as a child." is completely missing the point of the backstory taking place.

Obviously it isn't anything special, but it's there, so it gets a B, cause it's nothing more than that. A B quality chapter, not a C quality chapter, a B quality chapter.

Character development happened, and character development practically never happens in Bleach.

I'd be inclined to let it go but for the fact you're apparently arguing that the quality of a plot point story development has no impact on the quality of the story so long as you subjectively declare the dialogue was good. Besides, I really don't see where you're finding this emotion, deep character interaction - Kenpachi only had dialogue on like two pages and he didn't say anything more than "I like fighting." Where's the character development in Kenpachi loving fighting - his entire character has been defined by loving fighting since the first chapter he appeared. That isn't character development at all.

I always thought he mentioned it once. Where else would a kid get a released zanpakuto from, if not from a dead shinigami?
Let's not forget Ichigo is owning bitches left and right and he's not even 20 yet.
Again, powerful kids are nothing new in Bleach. Yachiru is a kid and already vice captain for whatever reason. We never saw her fight, much like Unohana before, which is pretty ironic. And Hitsugaya is the youngest captain ever. But the gap between kid Zaraki and Unohana seems way too big.

Big One

Banned
I'd be inclined to let it go but for the fact you're apparently arguing that the quality of a plot point story development has no impact on the quality of the story so long as you subjectively declare the dialogue was good.
Because what you're complaining about is the cliche of Zaraki being more powerful than Unohana as a child rather than the content itself, which should never be even mentioned in any form of critique. Cliches aren't bad, but the way they're depicted can be.

What character development.
Besides, I really don't see where you're finding this emotion, deep character interaction - Kenpachi only had dialogue on like two pages and he didn't say anything more than "I like fighting." Where's the character development in Kenpachi loving fighting - his entire character has been defined by loving fighting since the first chapter he appeared. That isn't character development at all.
It wasn't Zaraki who got character development, it was Unohana who got character development. Which despite the fact that giving Unohana character development is pretty unnecessary as I mentioned in the initial review post.

Only Shinigami have them. Or at least that's the way it was when the manga started, Kubo might have forgotten. I'm reading on Wikia that he decided the Zanpakutō gain their forms slowly as people train with their Asauchi which ignores how Zangetsu sprang fully formed from Ichigo's ass but whatever. If we start asking those kinds of questions then we start to wonder where Zangetsu came from in the first place if the Zanpakutō are not just extensions of a soul but actual items that need to be created by this Ōetsu guy, and that's the kind of question Kubo has never asked himself and never will.

It wasn't Zaraki who got character development, it was Unohana who got character development.
What part of her character was developed again?

michael-jackson-eating-popcorn.gif

Well she starts showing compassion and care, for one, when in that mode she's supposed to be some type of ruthless and vile warrior.

She cares enough to help him get stronger, stunning. The only way that could be considered a development is if you thought she entered this battle hoping to kill him off.

Angry Grimace

Because what you're complaining about is the cliche of Zaraki being more powerful than Unohana as a child rather than the content itself, which should never be even mentioned in any form of critique. Cliches aren't bad, but the way they're depicted can be.

It wasn't Zaraki who got character development, it was Unohana who got character development. Which despite the fact that giving Unohana character development is pretty unnecessary as I mentioned in the initial review post.

You're taking one argument and substituting if for a different argument. I never said there was a problem with a "cliche" - you just made that up.

Besides, I don't get it - how is it character development that she's doing exactly what we thought she was doing and that her personality is pretty much just the same as Kenpachi's, exactly as we inferred when they revealed she was....also a Kenpachi.

7 Seeds Volume 4

Hana is still the most annoying character ever. The Team Winter story was actually well done focusing on only 3 characters (even if only 1 survived). My only complaint with this story arc was the beginning where the art was rather messy and it took me a moment to realize the tiger had attacked the guide. The puppies named after his fallen comrades were a nice touch.

Whoa mangaGAF moves fast.

Its obvious to see the bias people have towards certain manga from their posts and avatar for the most part.

I dunno why BigOne's grade for Bleach this week is cause such a stir lol.

Now that the better translations have come out I can give my opinions on the chapters this week.

Bleach 525: Kid Zaraki is pretty amazing for being that powerful. Restraint for the sake of having an equal. Must have been harsh to realize that no one can match you so the mental chains and the eyepatch comes in to negate his natural abilities. Haven't seen this in a long time in a manga so this was nice. I got Shotacon vibes from Unohana during the fight between her and Kid Zaraki lol.

I don't think its as simple as Zaraki being a Saiyan and its more like Zaraki is a permanent Super Saiyan at a young age who had his powers locked. Makes for an interesting "power-up" as its more along the lines of "power-release". Closest event similar to this I can think of is when Gohan had his hidden potential unlocked by Elder Kai. In other words, Zaraki is gonna pwn some Quincy ass in the near future. But I'm more focused on the current fight. I doubt Unohana will die already. She has barely revealed anything except for some of her inner thoughts. I really did like how Kubo developed Unohana a tiny bit during this chapter. Need more background on her though. Overall a very good chapter imho.

One Piece 697: WTF almost 700 chapters? Oda will you reach the end in the next 300 chapters? Or do you plan on passing 1000 chapters? Anyways boring send off the first half. Its the very end pages when Don comes flying in that things get interesting. Law is a boss threatening Don like that. I think Law is keep the SHs around for his own protection lol. Not much to say beyond that except that Don will probably give up his position so that we see more of Don in the next arc. A decent transition/setup chapter because of the lackluster first half.

Naruto 618: Ummm not much to say that I didn't say before even with the translation. Just waiting to see what happens.

BTW you think with 6 Zetsu clones why not bring back Kushina and Jiraiya as well? Also why is Hiruzen an old man? Doesn't Edo Tensai bring you back at your prime? Otherwise Madara would be old as hell. The chapter was alright since Kishi just changed the rules completely and the 4 hokages is a nice touch even though its a bit of an asspull/plothole imo.

Looking forward to next week chapters. Now to wait for Beel, FT and Kenichi.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
7 Seeds Volume 4

Hana is still the most annoying character ever. The Team Winter story was actually well done focusing on only 3 characters (even if only 1 survived). My only complaint with this story arc was the beginning where the art was rather messy and it took me a moment to realize the tiger had attacked the guide. The puppies named after his fallen comrades were a nice touch.

Hana does get over it (pretty fast too from where you're at now), but I dunno man. If you're tossed who knows how many years into the future and have no idea what happened to the person you love, you're bound to be in shock for awhile.

Hana does get over it, but I dunno man. If you're tossed who knows how many years into the future and have no idea what happened to the person you love, you're bound to be in shock for awhile.

It would be one thing if we were only following Team Spring or Summer B and had no idea that Hana/Arashi were both alive. As it stands though the audience knows they're both alive, and outside of the 4 Team Winter chapters literally every chapter has dedicated multiple pages to this "I hope the other is alive" or Natsu's "he has a gf...". Either they need to meet up quickly or they need to drop this point because I'm sick of seeing it over and over again.

Antiwhippy

It would be one thing if we were only following Team Spring or Summer B and had no idea that Hana/Arashi were both alive. As it stands though the audience knows they're both alive, and outside of the 4 Team Winter chapters literally every chapter has dedicated multiple pages to this "I hope the other is alive" or Natsu's "he has a gf...". Either they need to meet up quickly or they need to drop this point because I'm sick of seeing it over and over again.

They don't meet up but I think it's safe to say that they do get over it pretty soon from where you are, though them trying to find each other is still a through-line that carries the plot forward in some ways, though not as focused as early on. From then on most of the manga deals with micro situations like the team winter arc in both the past and present that plays into the bigger overall plot.

Bleach 525
Just so we're clear, Ichigo is now part human, part soul reaper, part hollow, part
full-bring
, and part
quincy
. Is there anything I'm missing?

I'm pretty sure Kubo just doesn't care anymore. Rule of Cool. Summary: Unohana was proclaimed to be one of the worst criminals Soul Society has ever had. The flashback was going great. And it turned out kid Zaraki was stronger than her and sealed his strength to be on even ground. Back to the present, Unohana is now killing/healing him because Kenpachi grows stronger every time he comes close to death. What Kubo did was... wow, I don't even know how to describe it. You decide to hype the power levels of this one character to that of "Old Man Genocide" Yamamoto, and then it turns out Zaraki was stronger than her. Then again, with the old Soul Society going around killing people, Zaraki's strength could be a product of his environment.

Naruto 618
Pretty nice allusion to the beginning of Part 2. I'll overlook the fact that all it took to break the Demon Seal was a Uzumaki mask. The Zetsus seem like sometime Obito would do. I love the fact that there are conviently six: four for the Edo Tensei, one for Oro's new body, and the last one to probably run away and nark to Obito. Pretty much nothing else is going on besides the upcoming history lesson with the four Hokages. I'll laugh if after story time, Hashirama runs out and beats the crap out of Madara. Though, wasn't the Third Hokage supposed to be the strongest Hokage ever?

One Piece 697
And so the journey continues. The ambiguity between the Strawhats being the good guys or the bad guys was nice. Vegapunk was brought up again. I just have to say this, Law was great. Seeing Doflamingo squirm like that gets me really hyped about Kaidou. But this best thing is that this arc is finally over. It was definitely dragging after the novelty of centaurs and dragons wore off. Caeser was better than Hody, but not by much. The Strawhats being stronger than Doflamingo's crew was anticlimatic. I was totally expecting another confrontation with a Shichibukai like the one from Thriller Bark. But what can you expect.

Have you noticed that I hate Bleach, I've been dropping hints but I'm not sure it's getting across properly.

Saying Kubo is a terrible writer and ridiculing him? Yeah unless you are trolling I think you got your position/thoughts about Bleach across fast. ;P But I see no problem with it. It happens in nearly all if not all forums where a certain user or users hates one or more manga/s over the rest.

7 Seeds Volume 5

Oh god please don't tell me there is going to be more time jumping back and forth, the last thing I want to do is look up a time table of when chronologically the chapters take place.

It's not really an issue.

Alright good I was getting concerned because within 3 chapters we had Summer B go to a place Spring had already been to only to find out that Summer B actually arrived first, that Winter actually took place 15 years ago. Winter is still the best team, dog team is legit

Antiwhippy

Alright good I was getting concerned because within 3 chapters we had Summer B go to a place Spring had already been to only to find out that Summer B actually arrived first, that Winter actually took place 15 years ago. Winter is still the best team, dog team is legit

Fuck yeah. Winter team is the boss. Aramaki is probably the best character in the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom