• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bentles

One Piece

Finally found it, phew.
OqPMXYi.png

FEsbB29.png

If you ask me that's pretty suspicious.
In the process I also found Doflamingo talking about the "New era of Smiles" back in Sabaody. I have NO recollection of that, I could swear this wasn't there back then what the hell. I guess that answers my comment about the new era!
xO78uG1.png

This stuff is awesome. Oda is so good at juggling all these plot points and details.

Kusagari

One Piece

Finally found it, phew.
http://i.imgur.com/OqPMXYi.png[/IMG
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FEsbB29.png[/IMG

In the process I also found Doflamingo talking about the "New era of Smiles" back in Sabaody. I have NO recollection of that, I could swear this wasn't there back then what the hell. I guess that answers my comment about the new era!
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/xO78uG1.png[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Holy shit I've never seen that Mihawk/Doflamingo thing mentioned before. Oda kills it with stuff like that.

I remember that Doflamingo quote but I figured it was just something related to his Jolly Roger at the time. Punk Hazard definitely sheds new light on it.

Cajun

Neo Member
One Piece

First half of the chapter is classic One Piece, even if it was dragged out a bit. Second half is going to drag any non-believers onto the Law bandwagon. This character is on another level of scheming if he can make the leader of the underground market scared. Since all of Doflamingo's options are bad, it makes his reaction all the more unpredictable. This is pretty damn exciting.

Also to note, for a manga like One Piece where I've grown used to the childish appeal, Baby 5 and Buffalo's head hung up on the raft like that (even though they're alive) was sort of unsettling. Props to Law for making that possible.

Now that Doflamingo is out of the picture for a bit, next week I need to see who that mystery character on the water was.

scy

Scy that's called dropping things.

Well, I mean, I think of "dropping" as in actively going, "Not reading this any more, I'm done."

I just forget things unless I see it mentioned or I happen to see that a new chapter was released. For the longest time (e.g., like a month or something), I completely forgot about Sore wa Totsuzen, Unmei no Aite ga and then suddenly saw it and hey, I had like a volume and a half to catch up on!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Something just occurred to me, Smoker should have cancer by now. Or emphysema at least.

Maybe his Devil Fruit powers prevent him from getting sick? His smokey body destroys all the nicotine and other harmful substances.

The real question is, why doesn't Sanji have cancer or emphysema?

rouken

One Piece

Finally found it, phew.
OqPMXYi.png

FEsbB29.png

xO78uG1.png

this is the first time i've seen this. maybe its a shichibukai thing? or they're member of a secret society of some kind. but it is awesome that there's a subtle detail like that. i love Oda so much. :3

One Piece

Second half is going to drag any non-believers onto the Law bandwagon. This character is on another level of scheming if he can make the leader of the underground market scared. Since all of Doflamingo's options are bad, it makes his reaction all the more unpredictable. This is pretty damn exciting.

There were Law non believers?

upandaway

None of the other Shichibukai have it?

Maybe they came from the same crew.
Jinbei and Boa both don't seem to have it when I glanced around looking for Doflamingo and Hawkeye. But then again Jinbei's sleeves are pretty long and maybe Boa took it off for her bath. Blackbeard also never added it after becoming a Warlord, so there's that. I didn't go far enough back to find out about Crocodile and Moria is always fully clothed on his arms.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why doesn't he ever try to choke anyone anyway? Ceasar used his gas abilities like that. If Smoker had tried that maybe Law wouldn't have wrecked him.

I think he tried that during his first appearance, but it's not as fast as Ceasars due to the fact it's just a bit of smoke and not sucking oxygen out of the area.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Why doesn't he ever try to choke anyone anyway? Ceasar used his gas abilities like that. If Smoker had tried that maybe Law wouldn't have wrecked him.

Smoker has a sense of honor and justice. Unlike Marines like Sakazuki or Morgan, he doesn't believe in deadly force unless needed.

upandaway

There's about 5 trillion things Smoker could do theoretically that he just doesn't do. I think Smoker's point is to prove logia aren't automatically able to pull off the feats we see logia pull off on a regular basis (Ace's huge flames, Aokiji's huge freezes, or basically every logia ever except Smoker and Caribou).

Korosenai

One Piece

Finally found it, phew.
OqPMXYi.png

FEsbB29.png

xO78uG1.png
so smiles/smilies (therefore Kaido) play a big part in the new era? Sounds like Kaido is gonna be one tough dude.

Smoker has a sense of honor and justice. Unlike Marines like Sakazuki or Morgan, he doesn't believe in deadly force unless needed.

Against a Shichibukai I wouldn't pull any punches.

I think Smoker's point is to prove logia aren't automatically able to pull off the feats we see logia pull off on a regular basis (Ace's huge flames, Aokiji's huge freezes, or basically every logia ever except Smoker and Caribou).
That's probably it. Smoker has a long ass way to go before he's ready to be promoted again.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Naruto F

Remember when Angry Grimace said to give this manga some time to explain the asspulls?

Yeah I want an apology for that.

Bleach B

Solid chapter, but this backstory would've been better juxtaposed on a character we actually care about. I don't get why Unohana has to have more than a bankai reveal.

One Piece A

Boss ass chapter. Great closure to the arc. Fantastic character interactions and manly tears. What more can you ask for?
I'd be willing to be cash you don't even remember the circumstances of me saying you were flipping out way too early.

Also, "B" for a Bleach chapter where nothing happened? I don't think anyone is fooled. I'm assuming the "B" is to throw us all off the trail of secretly just being the manga version of Armond White.

I'd be willing to be cash you don't even remember the circumstances of me saying you were flipping out way too early.

Also, "B" for a Bleach chapter where nothing happened? I don't think anyone is fooled.

Yeah actually the B should be like F- he has terrible taste.

I think I must be the only person who actually enjoys Big One.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah actually the B should be like F- he has terrible taste.

I think I must be the only person who actually enjoys Big One.

Big One sometimes gives random chapters of Bleach and Naruto totally arbitrary "B"s or "A"s to keep up the facade he's giving some kind of neutral evaluation system.

Wiseblade

So like I'd give you 10 bucks if you even remembered why I said that.

I'm assuming the "B" is to throw us all off the trail of secretly just being the manga version of Armond White.

IIRC, you said it was pointless to get angry about something that hadn't been explained, or to assume that the explanation would be underwhelming. All you do is create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Angry Grimace

IIRC, you said it was pointless to get angry about something that hadn't been explained, or to assume that the explanation would be underwhelming.

I said it was pointless to bitch about Rin being killed by Kakashi on the grounds that Kishimoto derailed Kakashi's character by making him evil because its not very likely that the explanation is just Kakashi is evil.

Wiseblade

I said it was pointless to bitch about Rin being killed by Kakashi on the grounds that Kishimoto derailed Kakashi's character by making him evil because its not very likely that the explanation is just Kakashi is evil.
But the explanation we got did harm his character though. Unless Kishimoto plans to back to that scene and extensively prove that Kakashi had exhausted all possible alternatives, then he comes across as looking like a jerk.

Angry Grimace

But the explanation we got did harm his character though. Unless Kishimoto plans to back to that scene and extensively prove that Kakashi had exhausted all possible alternatives, then he comes across as looking like a jerk.

So what?

Big One

Banned

Also, "B" for a Bleach chapter where nothing happened? I don't think anyone is fooled. I'm assuming the "B" is to throw us all off the trail of secretly just being the manga version of Armond White.
Nothing happening isn't really the problem with Bleach usually.

B is a fair score cause the chapter in question makes an effort in explaining some vital plotpoints in the series that needed to be address (mainly Kenpaichi's backstory). The Unohana stuff is just fluff, but there's nothing wrong with Kubo trying to explain some shit that would've been explained already if he didn't spend 80% of his time drawing his manga like an anime storyboard.

bigkrev

Angry Grimace

B is a fair score cause the chapter in question makes an effort in explaining some vital plotpoints in the series that needed to be address (mainly Kenpaichi's backstory). The Unohana stuff is just fluff, but there's nothing wrong with Kubo trying to explain some shit that would've been explained already if he didn't spend 80% of his time drawing his manga like an anime storyboard.

Sure, except that its total BS where Kenpachi was secretly stronger than the strongest captain when he was just some crazy kid and he magically got weaker as an excuse to give him powerups without actually making him do anything.

Its totally arbitrary to just say "this chapter is good because a thing was explained."

I went and read the Bleach chapter that is the subject of such debate and I think I projectile vomited at the end. The "explanation" here about what the fuck Unohana and Kenpachi were talking about is so half assed that you can tell Kubo probably came up with this shit on the toilet five minutes before drawing it using his own fecal matter.

F- would be generous and Big One enjoys shitty manga apparently.

Yonafunu

Sure, except that its total BS where Kenpachi was secretly stronger than the strongest captain when he was just some crazy kid and he magically got weaker as an excuse to give him powerups without actually making him do anything.

Its totally arbitrary to just say "this chapter is good because a thing was explained."

Nobody ever said she was the strongest captain.

So shouldn't it rather get an E for effort?

Nothing was reasonably explained and Zaraki not learning anything new is highly disappointing. But I think I side with Beam on this one, where he might learn something by the end of the training. Not that Unohana showed great kendo skills either, but Kyoraku picked her for a reason. So it might be just Kubo half-assing this fight.

Let's not nitpick. Strong enough she's racking up giant piles of bodies and is the worst criminal of all time, etc. etc.

Page 16 on the Mangastream version, "I am strong... stronger than anyone... but you."

And then I vomited some more. An eruption of half digested food spewed forth and flowed down into the gutter like a great river of human misery.

Yonafunu

Let's not nitpick. Strong enough she's racking up giant piles of bodies and is the worst criminal of all time, etc. etc.

I'm not trying to nitpick, but the pile of bodies was actually made by Zaraki, if you're talking about the today's chapter. And still, worst criminal doesn't really say all that much. I mean, Mayuri was called the same, if I'm not mistaken.
Zaraki at his max being stronger than Unohana isn't that big of a deal. I can live with him being the strongest aside from maybe Kyouraku.

Page 16 on the Mangastream version, "I am strong... stronger than anyone... but you."

Forgot about that. I guess that could be just talk. I mean, she's not stronger than Yamamoto.

7 Seed Volume 3

n3pIMCr.png

God I hate our 3 lead protagonist so much -.- I'm going to stick with this though at least until I get past the first team winter section.

Angry Grimace

And then I vomited some more.

I just think its lame that instead of getting stronger, it just turns out he's been weak the whole time for a highly implausible reason. That whole "I just LOVE the thrill of battle" shit is practically a dead-horse trope at this point.

duckroll

One Piece

Finally found it, phew.
OqPMXYi.png

FEsbB29.png

xO78uG1.png

That's an interesting catch. But curiously enough, while checking the One Piece Wikia, I noticed the anime pics for the two characters in those scenes don't have that X band at all. So either it is unimportant, or the Toei staff missed out on a detail again and messed up. Wouldn't be the first time! Lol.

Kusagari

Kid Kenpachi with no actual training or legit skill being stronger than Unohana is horrendously bad writing and just Kubo wanking it to Kenpachi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom