• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

Bleach 525
Just so we're clear, Ichigo is now part human, part soul reaper, part hollow, part
full-bring
, and part
quincy
. Is there anything I'm missing?

I'm pretty sure Kubo just doesn't care anymore. Rule of Cool. Summary: Unohana was proclaimed to be one of the worst criminals Soul Society has ever had. The flashback was going great. And it turned out kid Zaraki was stronger than her and sealed his strength to be on even ground. Back to the present, Unohana is now killing/healing him because Kenpachi grows stronger every time he comes close to death. What Kubo did was... wow, I don't even know how to describe it. You decide to hype the power levels of this one character to that of "Old Man Genocide" Yamamoto, and then it turns out Zaraki was stronger than her. Then again, with the old Soul Society going around killing people, Zaraki's strength could be a product of his environment.

Naruto 618
Pretty nice allusion to the beginning of Part 2. I'll overlook the fact that all it took to break the Demon Seal was a Uzumaki mask. The Zetsus seem like sometime Obito would do. I love the fact that there are conviently six: four for the Edo Tensei, one for Oro's new body, and the last one to probably run away and nark to Obito. Pretty much nothing else is going on besides the upcoming history lesson with the four Hokages. I'll laugh if after story time, Hashirama runs out and beats the crap out of Madara. Though, wasn't the Third Hokage supposed to be the strongest Hokage ever?

One Piece 697
And so the journey continues. The ambiguity between the Strawhats being the good guys or the bad guys was nice. Vegapunk was brought up again. I just have to say this, Law was great. Seeing Doflamingo squirm like that gets me really hyped about Kaidou. But this best thing is that this arc is finally over. It was definitely dragging after the novelty of centaurs and dragons wore off. Caeser was better than Hody, but not by much. The Strawhats being stronger than Doflamingo's crew was anticlimatic. I was totally expecting another confrontation with a Shichibukai like the one from Thriller Bark. But what can you expect.

Honestly comparisons of the Hokages has been very tough to judge. I haven't seen any info stating one was stronger than the other.

Kusagari

Honestly comparisons of the Hokages has been very tough to judge. I haven't seen any info stating one was stronger than the other.

We had conflicting quotes in Part 1 about Minato or Hiruzen being the best. Then Part 2 has done nothing but hype up Hashirama as the most amazing ninja besides Rikudo.

So who knows.

Kreed

One Piece 697:

Hopefully this chapter's ending takes care of the "Straw Hats vs Doflamingo" talk for a little while, at least until Oda actually gives more hints that there is actually going to be a fight in the near future. The "OMG the Straw hats are going to fight x opponent next chapter/next arc" discussions every time an enemy is shown is getting almost as bad as the "who's joining the crew" talk, but thankfully Jinbei not joining pretty much killed any serious crew joining discussions.

Regarding the chapter, I was surprised to hear Vegapunk would be working to undo what Ceasar did to the children. I figured he'd end up being just as bad as Ceasar but smarter, but looks like we'll be getting another marine fighting for "justice" while doing "not so just" things.

As others said, Law was obviously the highlight again this chapter, this time for his brains vs his powers. As much as I enjoy Luffy and his antics, I could get used to Law "leading" the Straw Hats for an extended period of time, in addition to his fights. Not going to try to guess what Law's plan is but I doubt he's giving Ceasar back without getting more out of Doflamingo first.

Qvoth

One Piece

OqPMXYi.png

FEsbB29.png

xO78uG1.png
:O
Shits were bricked
I guess those theories about the man in the last page of few chapters ago being mihawk is right
The last pic, who said the line "this is the age of smiles now..."?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You went from arguing Bleach with me to arguing Bleach with Big One, what a downgrade.

I'm not sure I was reading Bleach in 2007 (although I probably was). At least you actually read something other than the three most popular series in the most popular shonen magazine.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
That's an interesting catch. But curiously enough, while checking the One Piece Wikia, I noticed the anime pics for the two characters in those scenes don't have that X band at all. So either it is unimportant, or the Toei staff missed out on a detail again and messed up. Wouldn't be the first time! Lol.

The anime actually included it on Doflamingo in a separate shot from that same scene. But its just a rubberband or armband on his arm rather than anything significant.

One Piece 697:
Regarding the chapter, I was surprised to hear Vegapunk would be working to undo what Ceasar did to the children. I figured he'd end up being just as bad as Ceasar but smarter, but looks like we'll be getting another marine fighting for "justice" while doing "not so just" things.

it was hinted otherwise in Ceasar's flashbacks imo, especially when Ceasar laughed at Vegapunk's failure of his version of the giant experiment and Vegapunk apparently also ignored Ceasar's advice of using children.

Should be interesting whenever he is revealed.

Mr. Fix

it was hinted otherwise in Ceasar's flashbacks imo, especially when Ceasar laughed at Vegapunk's failure of his version of the giant experiment and Vegapunk apparently also ignored Ceasar's advice of using children.

Should be interesting whenever he is revealed.

He also granted Kuma's last request before he went full-mecha.

cntr

Banned
Toriko

Weird that it didn't focus on anything except Toriko's fight, but it's good to see a villain that doesn't just shrug off the hero's attacks in their first battle.

Toriko

Toriko went nuts on Starjun, and he is already tired.

Witch hunter

South meeting East is so very interesting.

Bleach

I'm not buying the argument that Bleach is full of plot holes. It has a shonen adventure time plot, but I'm not going to take it at face value that its totally contradictory without some kind of example.
Oh yeah, show the plot holes. Most here talk out of their ass without backing it up. Back up what you say.

I once had a very long list of outright contradictions and continuity errors which I threw away after I stopped giving a shit.
Show me this list.
I have a knack for remembering small details in narratives, you can imagine my suffering back when I still followed Bleach and slowly began to realize that Kubo is chronically incapable of remembering his own story.

I was happy to hear that Kubo had his own fashion store now because it gives me hope that he will finally embrace his true calling and stop attempting to write manga.

Except for the fact that Kubo destroys Oda with regards to characters, art, character interactions. Vomited? And yet you like the explanation of every fluff explanation of every back story in one piece, which they all turn out very similar, if not copy paste of each other.

Some really good battle pairing stuff. Nothing award winning but interesting highlighting each characters strengths.
Thanks.
I'd be willing to be cash you don't even remember the circumstances of me saying you were flipping out way too early.

Also, "B" for a Bleach chapter where nothing happened? I don't think anyone is fooled. I'm assuming the "B" is to throw us all off the trail of secretly just being the manga version of Armond White.
So everyone should like what you like. What happened with Kenpachi is very consistent with his character since he showed up.

Bleach 525
Just so we're clear, Ichigo is now part human, part soul reaper, part hollow, part
full-bring
, and part
quincy
. Is there anything I'm missing?

I'm pretty sure Kubo just doesn't care anymore. Rule of Cool. Summary: Unohana was proclaimed to be one of the worst criminals Soul Society has ever had. The flashback was going great. And it turned out kid Zaraki was stronger than her and sealed his strength to be on even ground. Back to the present, Unohana is now killing/healing him because Kenpachi grows stronger every time he comes close to death. What Kubo did was... wow, I don't even know how to describe it. You decide to hype the power levels of this one character to that of "Old Man Genocide" Yamamoto, and then it turns out Zaraki was stronger than her. Then again, with the old Soul Society going around killing people, Zaraki's strength could be a product of his environment.

Yeah, because a kid destroying a very powerful opponent is very new in shonen. Jesus, some of you need think before spouting bullshit.

What Kubo did is consistent with the very foundation of Bleach. Urahara explained that in the beginning. Every time a soul gets close to death it becomes stronger. But keep the hubris and ignorance going on fella.

One Piece 697
And so the journey continues. The ambiguity between the Strawhats being the good guys or the bad guys was nice. Vegapunk was brought up again. I just have to say this, Law was great. Seeing Doflamingo squirm like that gets me really hyped about Kaidou. But this best thing is that this arc is finally over. It was definitely dragging after the novelty of centaurs and dragons wore off. Caeser was better than Hody, but not by much. The Strawhats being stronger than Doflamingo's crew was anticlimatic. I was totally expecting another confrontation with a Shichibukai like the one from Thriller Bark. But what can you expect.
ahahahah, lol.

Damn dp.

Mr. Fix

Except for the fact that Kubo destroys Oda with regards to characters, art, character interactions. Vomited? And yet you like the explanation of every fluff explanation of every back story in one piece, which they all turn out very similar, if not copy paste of each other.

It's all opinions anyway, including this statement. I just hope you know that what you're saying is subjective. This whole Kubo > Oda thing is such a knee-jerk reaction which doesn't even hold any truth. Same goes in reverse.

I personally don't find any interest in the interactions between the characters in Bleach aside from the handful of main players. Same for most of the cast. Hell, I think Vergo was much more interesting than a lot of Bleach characters. Opinions dude.

scy

Toriko 220 - Goddamn. So much stuff happened. Toriko went crazy, Zaus' is most definitely not dead, and Mansam is apparently a monster when he goes all out.

Oh yeah, show the plot holes. Most here talk out of their ass without backing it up. Back up what you say.
UIqwj04.png

Except for the fact that Kubo destroys Oda with regards to characters, art, character interactions.
U mad.

Like an eruption of human misery, yes.

And yet you like the explanation of every fluff explanation of every back story in one piece, which they all turn out very similar, if not copy paste of each other.
I have only pity in my heart for you. If I weren't atheist you'd be in my prayers.

So everyone should like what you like.
That would be a wonderful world indeed.

Big One

Banned
You're taking one argument and substituting if for a different argument. I never said there was a problem with a "cliche" - you just made that up.
Then what exactly are you complaining about?

She cares enough to help him get stronger, stunning. The only way that could be considered a development is if you thought she entered this battle hoping to kill him off.
Besides, I don't get it - how is it character development that she's doing exactly what we thought she was doing and that her personality is pretty much just the same as Kenpachi's, exactly as we inferred when they revealed she was....also a Kenpachi.
Again, this is slow development, but it's there. It just depends on whether the next chapter will provide some form of closure to it, but knowing how Kubo can be this is just a tease and next chapter will go back to swords clanging with each other with dumb power-ups and shit.

Again, this is slow development, but it's there. It just depends on whether the next chapter will provide some form of closure to it, but knowing how Kubo can be this is just a tease and next chapter will go back to swords clanging with each other with dumb power-ups and shit.

I finally got you to be on the same side of a Bleach argument as Beam. How's the scenery from over there?

Big One

Banned
I finally got you to be on the same side of a Bleach argument as Beam. How's the scenery from over there?
Beam's argument is completely different from mine.

I thought this chapter was decent.

Beam thinks every Bleach chapter is the best manga ever and shits all over everything else.

Do not compare me to him, ever.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Then what exactly are you complaining about?
Maybe you should try reading it before just making some shit up that sounds easy to argue against. Its not difficult to avoid outright misattribution.
The entire chapter this week was swords clanging against each other with Unohana vaguely clarifying things she's been saying for the last two chapters. Unless you thought Unohana was planning to murder Kenpachi, I don't see how you think this is some development in her character.

Big One

Banned
Maybe you should try reading it before just making some shit up that sounds easy to argue against. Its not difficult to avoid outright misattribution.
I've read everything you've said about this chapter and I'm still unsure what you're complaining about. "Nothing happens," I guess? Cause a chapter can still be good without anything happening in it.

The entire chapter this week was swords clanging against each other with Unohana vaguely clarifying things she's been saying for the last two chapters. Unless you thought Unohana was planning to murder Kenpachi, I don't see how you think this is some development in her character.
Unohana was planning to murder Zaraki. Or in the very least, any obstacle in her way, but Zaraki change that, ergo character development.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Toriko

Aw yeah! Adrenaline rush with a Nail Punch! Boom!

Man, I long for the day when a Jump release day doesn't devolve into a bloodbath.

Wait so Unohana planning to murder Kenpachi would be considered development? Why not what happened this chapter where she expanded on her past? We learned quite a few things, she had subordinates and did not like fighting fodder. Kidpachi injured her at first strike. Her "SIN" was being weaker than Kenpachi and causing him to seal away his power. The guilt was apparently enough to make her quit being Kenpachi Yachiru and become Retsu Unohana captain of 4th division. I dunno what passes for development these days, but that is certainly some development that happened this chapter.

Defuser

Nisekoi
Chitoge's mom is getting more badass. We all know where this plot will head.

-Raku give a solution.
-Chitoge will fall harder.

Angry Grimace

I've read everything you've said about this chapter and I'm still unsure what you're complaining about. "Nothing happens," I guess? Cause a chapter can still be good without anything happening in it.
Its an actively bad/uninteresting plot reveal to say that Kenpachi was secretly super powerful but got weak over time. Its a cop-out to avoid the character having to actually have character development (i.e. figuring out his zanpakuto) because Kubo is just ascribing his "growth" to doubling down on being the same exact character all the time.

This was readily apparent in both my posts and the posts of everyone else who was talking about it. As you're so fond of noting - its a discussion forum. It's not an echo chamber. Spend the 10 seconds to figure out what's going on before you post, really.

Unohana was planning to murder Zaraki. Or in the very least, any obstacle in her way, but Zaraki change that, ergo character development.
Except this theory revolves around buying into a totally absurd assumption. Right, after Kyoraku told her to train him, she was actually planning to go murder him for no apparent reason.

Water Cube 1-4
O4gYcWF.jpg

A guy with a swimsuit fetish cross-dresses and joins a girl's water polo team. Surprisingly little fanservice.

Edit:
Apparently a remake of My Heart is Beating. I going to read that instead.

Big One

Banned
Its an actively bad/uninteresting plot reveal to say that Kenpachi was secretly super powerful but got weak over time. Its a cop-out to avoid the character having to actually have character development (i.e. figuring out his zanpakuto) because Kubo is just ascribing his "growth" to doubling down on being the same exact character all the time.

This was readily apparent in both my posts and the posts of everyone else who was talking about it. As you're so fond of noting - its a discussion forum. It's not an echo chamber. Spend the 10 seconds to figure out what's going on before you post, really.
Why would I read something I was never involved with in the first place? You chose to challenge me, not vise-versa. I didn't just jump into whatever conversation you were having before I made that post, I put up my initial impressions of the chapter and that was it, nothing else.

Now anything afterwards, it's fine, but you can't expect someone to know what you're talking about if you're planning on bringing them into a discussion they had no part of.

Except this theory revolves around buying into a totally absurd assumption. Right, after Kyoraku told her to train him, she was actually planning to go murder him for no apparent reason.
No Unohana was ready to kill anyone in her way in the backstory, not the current storyline. When Zaraki came into the picture, she soften up and got someone who was a real challenge for her, giving her a new desire to bring out his power to his fullest potential. That's character development.

dumbyugi

Tonari no Seki-kun 1-21

I don't know why I didn't read this earlier. It's bloody hilarious. I like that it breaks it up a bit by having some chapters not in normal class.

789shadow

Banned
No Unohana was ready to kill anyone in her way in the backstory, not the current storyline. When Zaraki came into the picture, she soften up and got someone who was a real challenge for her, giving her a new desire to bring out his power to his fullest potential. That's character development.
And now Big One is just making shit up. Did Beam hack your account?

Angry Grimace

Why would I read something I was never involved with in the first place? You chose to challenge me, not vise-versa. I didn't just jump into whatever conversation you were having before I made that post, I put up my initial impressions of the chapter and that was it, nothing else.

Now anything afterwards, it's fine, but you can't expect someone to know what you're talking about if you're planning on bringing them into a discussion they had no part of.
Uh, so you would have a clue what you're talking about? I hardly see how being addressed means you're absolved from responsibility of having a clue what you're responding to, unless you just like saying things that don't follow the conversation.

Except I'm fairly certain this you know, didn't actually happen and besides we already knew what she was doing. The chapter speaks more to Kenpachi than Unohana, really, and the point is that he never changes to the point of just weakening himself subconsciously because he likes fighting. Which has been pretty much his character from the second he was introduced.

Big One

Banned
Uh, so you would have a clue what you're talking about? I hardly see how being addressed means you're absolved from responsibility of having a clue what you're responding to, unless you just like saying things that don't follow the conversation.
I have every clue what I'm talking about, and that's the chapter itself. If you wanted to share your opinion with me, then establish it. You can't expect anyone to just know what's going on like it's their business. I don't read everyone's posts before I post, unless I'm responding to something, and I wasn't.

Except I'm fairly certain this you know, didn't actually happen and besides we already knew what she was doing. The chapter speaks more to Kenpachi than Unohana, really, and the point is that he never changes to the point of just weakening himself subconsciously because he likes fighting. Which has been pretty much his character from the second he was introduced.
What do you mean it didn't happen? Are you honestly telling me Unohana wasn't just treking around killing shit? So what the fuck was happening then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom