• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nope, Minato didn't come up because his soul was trapped in the Death God.

I'm not sure if this was just before Kishimoto thought up the Shinigami thing or what. I seem to remember Third hokage saying that it was what Minato had used though.

In any case, being Edo Tensei'd can't be worse than being in the equialent of Ninja Hell.

scy

Tonari no Kashiwagi-san 41 - Best girl (for the MC) has her name in the fucking manga title. Why bother introducing a new girl? I hope it just accelerates things. Otherwise, I'm going back to hoping we go to the other pairing.

Actually, I'm secretly hoping we go back to the other couple anyway.

I'm not sure if this was just before Kishimoto thought up the Shinigami thing or what. I seem to remember Third hokage saying that it was what Minato had used though.

In any case, being Edo Tensei'd can't be worse than being in the equialent of Ninja Hell.

Well it was only explained in the 2nd part of the series so you have a point.

I'll give Kishi the benefit of the doubt for this one though.

DKNGcBl.png

Lain

Emerging Vol 1
zml.jpg

Interesting horror story with an unknown disease spreading. It's told mainly from the point of view of a doctor and, as far as volume 1 goes, seems to focus mostly on how people react to such an occurrence.
Character wise it's not bad, with the focus on mostly adults. Art could be better (and I was expecting better based on the cover art), but it works well enough to build the type of atmosphere needed.

It also looks to be fully scanlated (it's only 2 volumes long) and based on the first volume, I feel like suggesting people to give it a look.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Emerging Vol 1
zml.jpg

Interesting horror story with an unknown disease spreading. It's told mainly from the point of view of a doctor and, as far as volume 1 goes, seems to focus mostly on how people react to such an occurrence.
Character wise it's not bad, with the focus on mostly adults. Art could be better (and I was expecting better based on the cover art), but it works well enough to build the type of atmosphere needed.

It also looks to be fully scanlated (it's only 2 volumes long) and based on the first volume, I feel like suggesting people to give it a look.

I would advise otherwise, actually, since it is one of those "suddenly end with a deus ex machina" thing. Not bad, but definitely not something that will make an impression too.

upandaway

Karate Minoru

That really threw me off there. Can't wait to hear the silly explanation for what he just did.

Also, Yuuto's fans all look so evil haha.

Assassination Classroom

Sonic Ninja made me think of Onepunch-man but I guess it's unrelated. Anyway, the brother really reminds me of X from first impression. And I really liked X, so that's pretty neat.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Beelzebub 177

I'm enjoying this series a lot more than I expected to, some of the twists on the premise are brilliant and it is absolutely hysterical to read while stoned.

I think playing an E chord is brilliant when stoned.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Karate Minoru

That really threw me off there. Can't wait to hear the silly explanation for what he just did.

Also, Yuuto's fans all look so evil haha.

That's just the author's style though. There's absolutely no subtlety over who's evil and good, and sometimes that is pretty hilarious to me.

Yeah, can't wait for the explanation too.

dumbyugi

Saki Achiga-hen 18

I love seeing all the magical mahjong powers in action. Lap pillow powered future sight is pretty great. Obviously Achiga and Shiratodai are going to advance so there isn't much tension but it's fun to read.

Saki 108

I'm so glad Yuuki is still wearing her cape, it makes her look so much more powerful. She's absolutley killing it so far.

Mael

It could be that Sandaime doesn't know the specific of the Edo Tensei, so he thought that he stopped it while in fact Orochimaru couldn't succeed.
Also the jutsu was perfected by Kabuto, so Oro's version was incomplete and he may have missed some particulars.
Not exactly a retcon for once, could even believe it was meant to be that way from the start.

Erigu

[Naruto]
By throwing some shuriken at the coffin?
That was the idea, yeah (even he thought that did the trick). But that was retconned into "duh, that failed because...

Nope, Minato didn't come up because his soul was trapped in the Death God.
... Yup. Except that's something Orochimaru should have noticed far before the actual fight, really.

Ah. The translation I read wasn't very clear. In it, the third said he stopped it.
Not a translation issue.

Yep. Kishimoto just hadn't thought the whole thing through, hence the inconsistencies.

Angry Grimace

|Naruto]

That was the idea, yeah (even he thought that did the trick). But that was retconned into "duh, that failed because...

... Yup. Except that's something Orochimaru should have noticed far before the actual fight, really.

Not a translation issue.

Yep. Kishimoto just hadn't thought the whole thing through, hence the inconsistencies.
Actually, I went back and looked it up and Sarutobi mentions its Minato's jutsu (what he actually says is that its "the jutsu of the person who once saved our village," which obviously refers to Minato) when he uses it in chapter 124.

He also mentions several times that Orochimaru does not know what Shiki Fuujin is and Orochimaru explicitly says and acts like he doesn't know what it is, so this is all incorrect. Orochimaru did not know that it would fail because he wasn't aware of the technique's existence prior to the fight.

Erigu

Actually, I went back and looked it up and Sarutobi mentions its Minato's jutsu when he uses in chapter 124.
Well, yeah? That's why I agreed when you said "I seem to remember Third hokage saying that it was what Minato had used though."

Orochimaru did not know that it would fail because he wasn't aware of the technique's existence prior to the fight.
Not what I was saying. He should have seen that it didn't work before the fight.

Mael

Orochimaru isn't perfect either.
It's not far fetched that he didn't know everything about Edo Tensei before perfoming it in battle, he had also no idea what the hell was the death god sandaime was summoning and what this jutsu was.
That such an oversight would escape him isn't even out of character.

Considering some egregious stuffs like that Tobito reveal...

Damn you Angry Grimace

Well, yeah? That's why I agreed when you said "I seem to remember Third hokage saying that it was what Minato had used though."

Not what I was saying. He should have seen that it didn't work before the fight.

Well to be fair, what better way to crush the last Hokage than using all the others, that's pretty much how he probably thought it.

Angry Grimace

Still doesn't make sense for Orochimaru to try and summon a third coffin: he should have realized the Edo Tensei didn't work before that.

No, Orochimaru didn't know what Shiki Fujin was - Sarutobi mentions repeatedly that Orochimaru doesn't know about the technique and Orochimaru asks what it is when Sarutobi does it.

I'm not following your logic here. Why would he know it wouldn't work? I don't think he tested them out prior to the fight.

Erigu

Orochimaru isn't perfect either.
It's not far fetched that he didn't know everything about Edo Tensei before perfoming it in battle
He didn't perform it in battle. He only summoned the coffins in battle. Besides, the actual Edo Tensei requires sacrifices, remember. That's something he had to do beforehand.

Why would he know it wouldn't work? I don't think he tested them out prior to the fight.
When the guy you have to sacrifice for the Edo Tensei doesn't turn into the guy you want to revive, it means it didn't work (for whatever reason: here, a sealing technique Orichimaru wasn't aware of). That's something Orochimaru should have noticed before the fight, before preparing the coffins.

Angry Grimace

When the guy you have to sacrifice for the Edo Tensei doesn't turn into the guy you want to revive, it means it didn't work (for whatever reason: here, a sealing technique Orichimaru wasn't aware of). That's something Orochimaru should have noticed before the fight, before preparing the coffins.

I'm completely lost at your argument here.

The coffins aren't things he prepares nor are they just the actual bodies which he then reanimates. They are what comes up when he uses Edo Tensei; which he used on the spot - in Ch. 117 - he performs the seals for Edo Tensei.

Mael

He didn't perform it in battle. He only summoned the coffins in battle. Besides, the actual Edo Tensei requires sacrifices, remember. That's something he had to do beforehand.

It's not his justsu to begin with but Niidaime's special jutsu, like the specific scroll about the shiki fujin release he probably got it from a scroll with all the specific like needing a sacrifice and all that.
It's true though that we don't see the actual edo tensei takes place (as in the living being taken over by paper...) but only the coffins appearing.
That's a retcon if you ask me or Kishi is really not that consistent.

Erigu

The coffins aren't things he prepares nor are they just the actual bodies which he then reanimates.
That's not how Edo Tensei works. You don't revive the corpses of the people you want reanimate. They're the corpses of other people that have been sacrificed. It's explained both during that one fight and when Kabuto gives Obito some pointers.
That means preparations are needed (if only for the sacrifices), and Orochimaru should have seen for himself before the fight that it didn't work for Minato.

It's not his justsu to begin with but Niidaime's special jutsu, like the specific scroll about the shiki fujin release he probably got it from a scroll with all the specific like needing a sacrifice and all that.
Sure, I never said otherwise.

It's true though that we don't see the actual edo tensei takes place (as in the living being taken over by paper...) but only the coffins appearing.
Yep. Happens quite a bit.

Angry Grimace

I think what he's saying is that Kabuto performs it later on by directly holding the bodies down right on the spot, but that hasn't so far been a requirement for any of the other summoning spells. In any case, its a pretty minor inconsistency that's literally decades apart from the first usage of it.

That's not how Edo Tensei works. You don't revive the corpses of the people you want reanimate. They're the corpses of other people that have been sacrificed. It's explained both during that one fight and when Kabuto gives Obito some pointers.
That means preparations are needed (if only for the sacrifices), and Orochimaru should have seen for himself before the fight that it didn't work for Minato.

At best, you're complaining about the fact that he performed the technique from far away as opposed to right there on the spot (which isn't entirely implausble given the way summoning techniques work). A more likely conclusion is that Kishimoto hadn't fleshed out the entire technique, which isn't really a big deal unless you're nitpicking; its an extremely minor inconsistency at best.

Erigu

In any case, its a pretty minor inconsistency that's literally decades apart from the first usage of it.
While we're on the subject of mysteriously transforming justus, here's another, more recent one, then: we were told that, in his state, trying to revive everybody after the fight would cost Nagato his life. And just a few weeks ago, we were told that technique kills the user anyway. Whoops.

Mael

This whole thing makes me think that either the shodaime's edo tensei was really incomplete and he was really powered down or something because seriously there's no way that hashirama who fought against madara is the same that needed help from nidaime to deal with sarutobi.

While we're on the subject of mysteriously transforming justus, here's another, more recent one, then: we were told that, in his state, trying to revive everybody after the fight would cost Nagato his life. And just a few weeks ago, we were told that technique kills the user anyway. Whoops.

Uzumakis have ungodly amount of chackra so Tobi's measly reserve would kill him unlike Nagato?
Or it could be that Konan didn't know the extent of the jutsu and only saw the collossal amuont of chackra used...
I'm trying.

Angry Grimace

I don't think anybody actually interpreted that line that way; Nagato did in fact die from doing the technique, Obito was all pissed off that he used it for his own sake, and if Nagato could literally revive the dead without consequence simply because his MP was full it would pretty much break everything in the series.

Erigu

This whole thing makes me think that either the shodaime's edo tensei was really incomplete and he was really powered down or something because seriously there's no way that hashirama who fought against madara is the same that needed help from nidaime to deal with sarutobi.
I think the third Hokage was supposed to be more powerful, back when the fight was told. He was "the god of the ninjas", back then. That title sure went to somebody else, since then.

I don't think anybody actually interpreted that line that way
There's no "interpretation", there. Konan specifically says that Nagato would die because of the state he's in. And then, it turns out that was irrelevant.

Angry Grimace

I think the third Hokage was supposed to be more powerful, back when the fight was told. He was "the god of the ninjas", back then. That title sure went to somebody else, since then.

There's no "interpretation", there. Konan specifically says that Nagato would die because of the state he's in. And then, it turns out that was irrelevant.

I mean, yes there is, but okay.

Mael

It's true everyone in that fight complained about sarutobi growing old though.
Still nothing the 2 kage did was on the level of what madara could do, even when madara was stealing jutsus from hashirama...

Erigu

I mean, yes there is, but okay.
You don't seem in any hurry to tell us what it is...

Uzumakis have ungodly amount of chackra so Tobi's measly reserve would kill him unlike Nagato?
That would work. Even if one could then question how Obito could possibly revive a Madara who died more than a decade ago (*), when Nagato couldn't do that for Jiraiya.

(*) While we're on the subject: am I the only one wondering what good it would do to revive someone who died of old age? Or would that be another conveniently customized/improved resurrection, like what happened for Madara's Edo Tensei?

Mael

That would work. Even if one could then question how Obito could possibly revive a Madara who died more than a decade ago (*), when Nagato couldn't do that for Jiraiya.

(*) While we're on the subject: am I the only one wondering what good it would do to revive someone who died of old age? Or would that be another conveniently customized/improved resurrection, like what happened for Madara's Edo Tensei?

The fun thing is the souls are shot back into their bodies so he probably revived Jiraiya leaving him to drown at the bottom of the sea...again :lol
Madara had it all planned, he could live forever by being tied to the Mazzou, he died when he severed the link.
So he probably wanted to relive again be linked with the mazzou and since he would be the vessel of the jûbi the chackra would heal him somehow.

Angry Grimace

The Rinne Tensei seems to resurrect the actual body. There presumably was jiggery-pokery involved if he was going to use it on Madara in the first place. Perhaps if he used it on the Black Zetsu or something? I don't know. In any case, if he tried to use it on Jiriaya he probably would have resurrected at the bottom of the ocean. It's probably safe to assume there are chakra based limits to how the technique can be used.

I mean, while we're at it we might as well as how Kakashi's chakra is drained by Obito's sharingan but the drain magically stops when his eye is closed.
KuGsj.gif

Erigu

The fun thing is the souls are shot back into their bodies so he probably revived Jiraiya leaving him to drown at the bottom of the sea...again :lol
Hahahaha!

Madara had it all planned, he could live forever by being tied to the Mazzou, he died when he severed the link.
So he probably wanted to relive again be linked with the mazzou and since he would be the vessel of the jûbi the chackra would heal him somehow.
But whoever revived him would have to be linked to the Jûbi/Mazô/whatever at that time, right? Sounds... complicated.
Then again, after this week's "I have to sacrifice myself, by which I mean sacrifice this convenient new body I just got myself a few hours back (*) while I survive just fine in my true snake-shaped one"...

(*) Remember when getting now bodies was super complicated, for Orochimaru? Things sure have changed, right?

Mael

Or the amount of chakra it uses is dependent on the how long the person in question has been dead or something.

that might also be the case, then again Konan spend the whole fight worrying about the chakra level of Nagato (when he used Chibaku Tensei and again when he used the resurection jutsu) so yeah not exactly a good way of knowing if it's Konan being Konan or something else.

Erigu

that might also be the case, then again Konan spend the whole fight worrying about the chakra level of Nagato (when he used Chibaku Tensei and again when he used the resurection jutsu) so yeah not exactly a good way of knowing if it's Konan being Konan or something else.
The entire fight pretty much consisted of her going "no, Nagato! don't! not that jutsu!"... So supportive! ^^

Mael

Hahahaha!

But whoever revived him would have to be linked to the Jûbi/Mazô/whatever at that time, right? Sounds... complicated.
Then again, after this week's "I have to sacrifice myself, by which I mean sacrifice this convenient new body I just got myself a few hours back (*) while I survive just fine in my true snake-shaped one"...

(*) Remember when getting now bodies was super complicated, for Orochimaru? Things sure have changed, right?
Also true that checks out with how they control the jûbi and it's Orochimaru him doing the whole changing body thing is part for the course.
It's supposed to be longer though, then again he's in Zetsu body now, hardly ideal.
Also it's confirmed that he never used any jutsu between sarutobi's battle and just now?
I mean in part 2, so him getting Sasuke's body would have served no purpose at all then, no?
The entire fight pretty much consisted of her going "no, Nagato! don't! not that jutsu!"... So supportive! ^^

Kishi and women....

Erigu

I mean in part 2, so him getting Sasuke's body would have served no purpose at all then, no?
Aside from simply surviving (but there again, it looks like Orochimaru isn't having such a hard time getting new bodies, now), without his arms, I don't know... I guess there would still be the Sharingan, but...
Still not sure why he was so focused on that when it turns out there would be other ways of getting Sharingan, by the way. Do you think Kishimoto will ever come around and explain what was up with Danzô/Orochimaru/Obito? They knew and apparently worked with each other, but...

Kishi and women....
Yeah...
Reminds me... "Oh, man! Naruto and Hinata are holding hands on the last page! It's happening!" The following week: Naruto goes and touches everybody's hands. Oh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom