• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess we can add another to the soon to be canceled column.

Medaka Box remains safe.

Unless it goes the Reborn route. Though I always wondered why the writer writes Medaka Box, looking at his wiki lists of works...he seems quite well established among novels and light novels, that four manga (is that two currently running?) seems like an odd addition to his resume.

Kurita

Unless it goes the Reborn route. Though I always wondered why the writer writes Medaka Box, looking at his wiki lists of works...he seems quite well established among novels and light novels, that four manga (is that two currently running?) seems like an odd addition to his resume.

Maybe he just wanted to try something else.

Reknoc

Well as far as Zelda manga go (I've only read LA, LttP and MC) I thought it was the best one, but as far as manga in general go.. it's not the most amazing cup of tea ever written ever made. But it's nice, especially with nostalgia bonus. I thought the ending was the best it could ever be.

Just like with the games (I swear it's not by choice!), I ended up liking the MC manga more even though it's "worse". That's just me though.

Sounds like you haven't read the WindWaker gag manga which is a mistake you need to rectify right now.

Desmond

Naruto
Christ, even I thought this chapter was a load of wank. I'm disappointing we never saw any of the (dilapidated) Uzumaki Village before, though it wouldn't really be relevant at the present. Reminds me of the Bell Shrine thing on the outskirts of the village Jiraiya and Naruto briefly went to when he was learning the Rasengan.
I did believe see the Death God/Hokages again but I assumed Naruto would do it not. While the scroll was shoehorned into the plot, the whole thing doesn't seem too farfetched tbh. I hope the Hokages don't fight, just converse, but you never know. I dunno what to predict, I no way expected that last chapter.

Bleach
Chapters like this make me really wish the anime wasn't canned for the meantime. I enjoyed the flashback, but I never seem to be able to grasp the aging process in Bleach. How long does it take for a child like Zaraki/Toshiro to become an adult in the Soul Society.
Like many have said, I hope Zaraki learns his sword's name, who knows if that wil happen now.

Beelzebub
Meh. Not really feeling this arc so far. Not too fond of Authors introducing new cronies who have never been hinted at before whatsoever. Hope Oga deals with them quick. More Comedy please. (I liked the small Naruto reference)

Assassination Classrooom
Enjoyable. Really enjoy when the focus is just on Nagisa (stupid haircut)/Karma and Koro-sensei. Anxious to see his 'brother' and who that hooded chap is.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
For those wondering, here's the current line-up in Weekly Shonen Jump USA (formally Alpha). Chapters are now simultaneous in Japan (since Jump officially comes out Mondays).

Weekly:
One Piece
Naruto
Bleach
Toriko
Nisekoi
Cross Manage
One Punch Man

Monthly:
Blue Exorcist
Rurouni Kenshi Restoration
Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal

Coming next week:
Dragon Ball Z in full color.

If you can tolerate "Zolo" (something I have to learn to do until Viz finally releases special editions of One Piece that fix their stupid stupid translations. Now they're blaming the Zorro comics, even though their last excuse was "consistency". Just release the special editions already! Sorry...), then it's worth it.
I do find it dumb that Zexal is there, only because of their Yu-Gi-Oh card promotions. It's sad how Yu-Gi-Oh turned out, the early volumes were actually pretty good, when they weren't all about card games.

As for other series, I would like to see Medaka Box and Beelzebub. I really want Assassination Classroom, but translator Stephen Paul (the same Stephen from Arlong Park) said that's not likely thanks to parts like "Bitch-sensei" and other crass jokes.

Kurita

As for other series, I would like to see Medaka Box and Beelzebub. I really want Assassination Classroom, but translator Stephen Paul (the same Stephen from Arlong Park) said that's not likely thanks to parts like "Bitch-sensei" and other crass jokes.
Oh silly USA...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Oh silly USA...

I know... our culture of "violence and guns are okay but sex is baaaad" is really backwards.
It's very likely we won't get Shokugeki no Soma either. If they find "Bitch-sensei" bad, the food-gasms certainly wouldn't fly.

upandaway

TWGOK

Well that escalated quickly.

That's so silly, just translate away from it. "Witch-sensei" or whatever (considering her assassination style it fits pretty well actually.. man I'm good). Not to mention, like half of the other manga they DID get, also have boob jokes and such all the time. And actual nudity, unlike AssClass.

Did I miss something? The manga seemed a lot more tame compared to other stuff in Jump (including One Piece).

Kusagari

I don't understand why they couldn't just translate Bitch-sensei and other jokes into something less offensive.

And I can't see them ever bothering with Medaka Box. The Jet Black Wedding Arc's incomprehensibility to non-Japanese readers probably assured that.

Kurita

That's so silly, just translate away from it. "Witch-sensei" or whatever (considering her assassination style it fits pretty well actually.. man I'm good). Not to mention, like half of the other manga they DID get, also have boob jokes and such all the time. And actual nudity, unlike AssClass.

Did I miss something? The manga seemed a lot more tame compared to other stuff in Jump (including One Piece).
Well, we do see Bitch-sensei on top of a naked dude.

upandaway

But there's still those kinds of things everywhere. In the end I don't see any nudity and no openly (or even disguisedly) obscene speech or any gore or whatever, and the other manga do have those stuff.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
TWGOK

wWBfvaO.jpg

Hell of a thing to take a break on, damn son it's gonna be a long wait.

For those wondering, here's the current line-up in Weekly Shonen Jump USA (formally
I do find it dumb that Zexal is there, only because of their Yu-Gi-Oh card promotions. It's sad how Yu-Gi-Oh turned out, the early volumes were actually pretty good, when they weren't all about card games.

Why? the Yugioh manga actually charts on the weekly charts here whenever it comes out, missed opportunity it would be to not have it even in the jump for the us. Yugioh mangas 5D's/Zexal has really nice page spreads and card strategies.

I dont think theres much hope for Beelzebub or Medaka Box...cant really see them starting something that late as they would nearly be committed to releasing 18 - 20 volumes of either of those series...and well with a record of series like Reborn and other manga be dropped or stopped...well not much hope. Be better hoping for some monthly lower volume series, or one of the new series coming up, I think.

Assassination Classroom would be hard for them to market I think, didnt think people in the west were that warmed up to tentacles...maybe if it gets an anime...

Kurita

Are there any set release dates for the two Assassination Classroom volumes coming to the US?
No.

About Yu-Gi-Oh!, does Takahashi still writes/draw it? Or are the spin-offs made by other people? Still don't know why he didn't stop after the original series...

Wiseblade

TWGOK

Well that escalated quickly.

As first I was all "What are you talking about? She doesn't use magic!"...

But then it clicked.

No.

About Yu-Gi-Oh!, does Takahashi still writes/draw it? Or are the spin-offs made by other people? Still don't know why he didn't stop after the original series...
Because as long as Konami have any say in the matter, there will always be a Yu-Gi-Oh! Manga and Anime.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
TWGOK

It took me like an hour to realize what was going on in TWGOK - Urara got possessed by the Runaway Spirit and it made her older due to her obsession with being an adult. The whole time I thought like her present body got sent to the past or something nad I was really confused.

TWGOK 217-218

I was so used to skip TWGOK releases, that I completely ignored the one from last week.

Now I remember why I used to do that.

Keima drowning was funnier than him getting stripped. And yes, she did become big. Definitely not bad.

Interval (1-5.5 end)
tumblr_mbqnobw7ZH1qhmfheo1_250.jpg

One of the benefit for at least the digital manga is they do keep the color pages in color. Low purchase cost for this fast read. Interval followed the typical type of rules for the story of the guy gets taken advantage of and forced into it or else having his secret exposed then eventually starts to like the oppressor, but it had the added benefit of both of them being in love with someone else but unable to to get with them since the person was already in love with someone else. I thought that was a bit of the tragic part to it, but at least they had a good end. Bonus chapter really closed out the experience well and perhaps the final pages to the final chapter were nice for role reversal..

Kusagari

OPM 23

Can't wait for Genos to get the credit when Saitama destroys the meteor. Bang reminds me of Killua's grandpa.

TWGOK 218

Well...Urara certainly filled out as an adult.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I NEED MORE PM 30 PAGES IS TOO LITTLE AAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom