• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

Yeah, but the Catapult Turtle thing is what made that stuff fun! If you want strict adherence to the rules, watch real games or something (I spend way too much time on the weekends watching tournament coverage of Magic on Twitch).

Speaking of Magic, I want to someday read the early Duel Masters manga where they played Magic, as the Duel Masters card game didn't exist yet. Has that ever been translated?

I'm just annoyed that Cardfight Vanguard gets a relatively grounded show where people follow the rules and are actually good at the game, while YGO is stuck with people using impossibly specific cards in impossibly specific scenarios.

Kurita

I'm just annoyed that Cardfight Vanguard gets a relatively grounded show where people follow the rules and are actually good at the game, while YGO is stuck with people using impossibly specific cards in impossibly specific scenarios.

Well, since the TGC didn't exist when YGO introduced the cards the author could do whatever he wanted. The following arcs followed the official rules.
IMO it was funner when there were no real rules.

Ignoring the occasional abundance in lucky draws and psyqualia, cardfight vanguard (engDub) is as fun as or even funner than yugioh to me.

Real 4

Was going to read more than one chapter but this just had to be a depressing and disheartening chapter. Characters were all doing so well winning getting their life on track but then all of a sudden a dumb truck appears to sour the mood. Why would he write such a tragic event. Takahashi had much potential to be a good character (well with a bit of work on that personality).

Kurita

Real 4

Was going to read more than one chapter but this just had to be a depressing and disheartening chapter. Characters were all doing so well winning getting their life on track but then all of a sudden a dumb truck appears to sour the mood. Why would he write such a tragic event. Takahashi had much potential to be a good character (well with a bit of work on that personality).

Because that's how life is DTL.

Wiseblade

Well, since the TGC didn't exist when YGO introduced the cards the author could do whatever he wanted. The following arcs followed the official rules.
IMO it was funner when there were no real rules.

I know all about that, I'm talking about the trend in the newer shows.

Slam Dunk 2 - 6

That was just plain incredible for Sakuragi who doesn't even know how to play basketball. I thought he'd have Sakuragi lose and then go through some arc of trying to get him on the team, to think he'd actually get serious and defeat him. I want more Rukawa Sakuragi moments, Rukawa is easily the best design so far and must have epic skills. Though the other players on the team so far...seem like throwaway characters, unless theres more like the captain.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Medaka Box

I know we all got spoiled but

3WLjaJ7.gif

that shit's FRESH!

upandaway

Medaka Box

Hey guys, there's this manga called Medaka Box. It has chapters.

I mean, I guess. Maybe. I'm kind of confused right now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I dunno, I felt the election arc was a lot more coherent than the current arc.

Then again I read that when it was completed so maybe it's just having to wait throwing me off.

bigkrev

Moreover, the first Yu-Gi-Oh video game featuring cards was released before the TGC. The rules were really different, it was like in the manga. There were only monsters, you could summon cards without tributing...

I was fine with the GBC game that was like that.

I was NOT fine with the GBA RPGs they put out (Sacred Cards/Reshef of Destruction) using this ruleset, after they had already started making games with the real rules.

upandaway

Medaka Box

I dunno, I felt the election arc was a lot more coherent than the current arc.

Then again I read that when it was completed so maybe it's just having to wait throwing me off.
I felt like he threw away the concept of planning somewhere through Kumagawa's arc (I'd say Zenkichi getting a skill was 'the moment' if there ever was one). Ever since then every chapter has been a rollercoaster for the sake of being a rollercoaster.

Outside of SoL, Medaka Box is probably my favorite manga to read weekly because it's just so crazy on a per chapter basis. I know when I start a chapter that my world will be upside down 20 pages from now, guaranteed (or at the very least, I'll be smiling the whole way). It's the best thing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Medaka Box

I felt like he threw away the concept of planning somewhere through Kumagawa's arc (I'd say Zenkichi getting a skill was 'the moment' if there ever was one). Ever since then every chapter has been a rollercoaster for the sake of being a rollercoaster.

Outside of SoL, Medaka Box is probably my favorite manga to read weekly because it's just so crazy on a per chapter basis. I know when I start a chapter that my world will be upside down 20 pages from now, guaranteed (or at the very least, I'll be smiling the whole way). It's the best thing.

Eh, I guess, it's just that I'm still reading it with the mindset that this is going to be a manga which is actually trying to establish a story, which is what is really throwing me off. :p

Medaka Box 180

I don't read much battle shounen, so it still amuses me when the characters manage to have a lengthy explanatory discussion in what should be a fraction of a second.

Anyway, I can get behind this development. Guess they've now got a fresh fight on their hands.

Atredeus

Neo Member
I know I'm late on this. But here goes.

Breaker New Waves
Best. Rampage. Ever. Seriously loving this, and I'm sad it's probably going to end.

Historys Strongest Actually Good Fights
Is it weird that we have a chapter with no fanservice and actual good fights/developments? Seriously, I'm kinda impressed.

Fairy Stale
Future Lucy is a whiny bitch. This whole arc is just becoming annoying.

Medaka Box
Yeah, Nisio. You win. And I still love you. I'm proud to be a nuthugger.

upandaway

Shokugeki no Soma

Okay I could have done without that orgasm. What the hell :lol

It's been a while since we had a bad food reaction. Those were the best ones.

scy

History's Strongest Fans--wait, no fanservice?! Kenichi 508 - Suddenly, Sei Ki.

One more chapter for the end of this fight. I see that Kenichi's fight has been reduced to cover pages only.

Stinky

Magi volume 10

Dungeon exploran'.

Very action oriented but good volume. Mor is a freakin powerhouse haha. It was great when Alibaba came around and he was being carried by her. Oh and his Djinn being pregnant made me WTF so badly.

Alibaba and Sinbad should be careful when fighting Onix, fire isn't very effective against rock type Pokémon

Niccce. "Real" has been on my to read list for so long.

Non-english releases always have nice rounded spines.

Aku no Hana 36-37

Uh oh. Girl is starting to fall for him. Bailout.gif!

Edit: Also I think the lesson this manga is trying to teach is that reading is evil and drives kids insane.

Shokugeki no Soma 9

Liked the cover page, for Isshiki Soma there, otherwise ready to see the meat assassin. I wonder if Soma will ever seriously challenge Isshiki again or if his target will be someone else. Though I dont think he has anything to wager, so needs to work on that.

Kusagari

Medaka Box 180

Nisio, you are such a FRESH troll.

And the Fresh Maker is seriously the perfect villain for this series. He's basically the equivalent of a Godmoding cheater who refuses to admit he's lost. Always a new trick up his sleeve.

Kreed

Medaka Box 180:

I was disappointed "Final Fantasy boss" got taken out in one blow after killing a main character with over 1000 techniques, but then that chapter ending happened and I laughed, so all is forgiven.

I read through a Korean Manwha called SIESTA today (well up to it's latest chapter...).

34344345.jpg_02_16_2012_10_01_45.jpg

Normally not my cup of tea but It was pretty interesting. It's about a Girl with powers who somehow has to defend a jerk (who also has powers...) due to reasons. She initially isn't supposed to be really strong but apparently she is. Like I said not normally my thing, but it was interesting enough...I expect it to fall into the normal romance subplot tho which will be when I drop it. But so far it is interesting and if it somehow doesn't go for that and goes for what could be an interesting plot and stuff, we could be in busienss...doubt it tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom