• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Aku no Hana 38:
Rapidly approaching Oyasumi PunPun territory.

I can't wait until he turns into a pyramid.

Stranger 1
tumblr_mhnvmo5atc1qbxqfpo1_500.png

First country or western themed manga Im reading, I think. Good start with the sheriff getting stuck in the desert struggling and failing to get back after the death of his horse. Wonder if that is truly his horses spirit, etc. Toto is interesting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shit Eating Flowers

I almost feel bad for Kasuga. Almost. The only problem is that its going to go to shit because he's gonna buy into Ax Crazy girl's bullshit again soon enough.

Kusagari

Aku no Hana 38

Fuck, this is actually getting cringeworthy now. This whole thing seems vaguely grounded now instead of the ridiculousness of the beginning part.

It's kind of sad knowing that crazy chick is going to come back and turn it all into another shit eater fest.

IHaveIce

Banned
Usopp still has a father, he's just a deadbeat out on the seas getting drunk with Shanks.

When they meet Usopp should really kick his ass.

Just thinking about it, the Luffy and Usupp's Fathers are the only parents of the strawhats we know of and who are still alive right?

Just thinking about it, the Luffy and Usupp's Fathers are the only parents of the strawhats we know of and who are still alive right?

Zeff might count as like a surrogate father for Sanji. Zoro also has his old teacher. But biologically speaking yeah I think that's accurate.

Oh and Chopper has Dr. Kureha. His reindeer parents might still be out there but would that count?

Also, we don't know if Luffy's mom is still alive.

Magi 172

Very good strategy. Aladdin´s powers as a magi at the end is sure something. He does not seem too happy about it. Mu will be pissed and attack with his metal weapon. I wonder what type it is.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece

Luffy: His father (Dragon) and grandfather (Garp) are still alive. Mother is MIA, possibly dead.
Zoro: Parents are unknown, closest was his teacher Koshiro.
Nami: Both of her parents were killed by pirates. She was adopted by Bellemere who was later killed by Arlong.
Usopp: Father (Yasopp) is still alive, mother (Banchina) died of sickness.
Sanji: Parents are unknown, closest was Chef Zeff.
Chopper: It's possible his reindeer parents are still alive, but want nothing to do with him. Dr. Kureha adopted him and she's still alive.
Robin: Her mother is dead, it's possible her father is dead too. Hell, everyone in Ohara is dead.
Franky: Zambai mentioned his father was a great pirate, so it's likely he's still alive. Mother is unknown. The man that adopted him, Tom, is dead.
Brook: He's 90, it's very likely his parents are dead.

Akito

Magi
It will take more than a little electricity to stop the Finalis but it seems like Aladdin is charged up again.

Aku no Hana 1-2

This is painful to read. How can you stand this?

If you're saying this already, I'm looking forward to your reaction as you get further in.

EDIT: The art in Aku no Hana has gotten way better from the beginning. Those were some weird looking heads in the first few chapters.

Cwarrior

Aku no Hana 35

Jeezz this so lame did this manga go to shit? worst chapter of them all, it's now your typical emo highschool sucky boy life after the most popular girl in school.

Aku no Hana 36

I can't even read this crap it's outputting too high levels of Lame for me to read, painfully cringe stuff.

What a waste of time, crazy girl nakamura isn't even in this, no one gives a damn about emo boy, people only want to see batshit Nakamura bitch slap people.

This should of ended in chapter 34 with the death pact unfortunately pussy-ed out.

Dropped R.I.P Aku no Hana your dead to me.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
7 Seeds 117 - 120
I literally cried, and not just because I've nearly finished catching up.
:(

One Piece

Luffy: His father (Dragon) and grandfather (Garp) are still alive. Mother is MIA, possibly dead.
Nami: Both of her parents were killed by pirates. She was adopted by Bellemere who was later killed by Arlong.
Chopper: It's possible his reindeer parents are still alive, but want nothing to do with him. Dr. Kureha adopted him and she's still alive.
Robin: Her mother is dead, it's possible her father is dead too. Hell, everyone in Ohara is dead.
Franky: Zambai mentioned his father was a great pirate, so it's likely he's still alive. Mother is unknown. The man that adopted him, Tom, is dead.

I'm betting that Franky's father is Kaidou.

Hetakoi 1-59 (END)

Sometimes, when I consider dropping a series after the first chapter but decide to stick with it, I get rewarded with something that far exceeds my expectations.

This was not one of those times.

Wiseblade

One Piece

I don't remember Zambai saying anything about Franky's father being a great pirate. Odds are he's dead too.

upandaway

Magi

For how paranoid Yamu and Aladdin were about his identity being discovered if he so much as REVEALED his gem, he's getting by pretty well. Unless I'm missing something no one found out he's a Magi yet, after all this. I was kinda hoping for "OH MY GOD HE'S A WHAT" everywhere but, next chapter I guess!

wonzo

Banned
OPM 21

The Bang guy's pretty goddamn cool but not as cool as dat collection of double page spreads. :bow Murata :bow

Aku no Hana 38

I wonder how he's gonna cope in a den full of SHITEATERS.

Magi 171-172

magi172.png

Chapters without Mor: 28 ) - (

Fuck yeah, it was pretty neat to see Aladdin put an end to that magical nuke and stop the Fanalis corps dead in their tracks. I guess Alibaba's gonna appear and save the Fanalis stuck in the frozen (Well, I think it's frozen) water with his ownage fire skills before Aladdin has a chance to finish what he's doing and put an end to the war.

To Love-Ru Darkness 28

+1 Harem member. Almost had forgotten about Kyouko.

And goddamn at the reflection on the water faucet, looks like Yabuki managed to sneak one in there again. Was basically obvious they were going to lose their clothes after Lala helped them, though being stuck in the locker naked was hot.

There was also a Yui appearance so I can say I'm satisfied after reading the chapter.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Aku no Hana 38

Fuck, this is actually getting cringeworthy now. This whole thing seems vaguely grounded now instead of the ridiculousness of the beginning part.

It's kind of sad knowing that crazy chick is going to come back and turn it all into another shit eater fest.

The only way the plot redeems itself is if he realizes how incredibly pretentious and assholish Nakamura is and rejects her but its Aku no Hana. It isn't going to happen.

Akito

Magi 171-172

magi172.png

Chapters without Mor: 28 ) - (

Fuck yeah, it was pretty neat to see Aladdin put an end to that magical nuke and stop the Fanalis corps dead in their tracks. I guess Alibaba's gonna appear and save the Fanalis stuck in the frozen (Well, I think it's frozen) water with his ownage fire skills before Aladdin has a chance to finish what he's doing and put an end to the war.
Looks like lightning to me. Note how the two Finalis in the bottom panel were showing a shock reaction even though the water around them was clearly not frozen.

Azure J

Toonami just announced they'll be airing the Soul Eater anime.
Is the manga worth checking out?

It's a very fun action romp with great stylized art. Think early Bleach.

Meanwhile:

Fresh Box

I can't believe I didn't see that coming. NisiOwned.

Beelzebub

Another brawl arc huh... I hope the characters are fun at least. This also needs 100% more Furuichi.

Magi

Oh shit, the gloves are off. I wonder what kind of magic Aladdin's capable of solo with that stone out.

Tangent: I'm also thinking about picking up Sumomomo[...]momomo from the same author, anyone have anything to say about it?

Aku No Hana

The second true trainwreck is back?

2XGa3.gif

One Punch Man 21

Bang is soooo cool looking. Can't wait to see how Saitama deals with this one.

Slam Dunk 8 - 15
Kind of a few boring chapters of intro to basketball basics but the freshman v the other players on the team game was fun.Thought Rukawa would perform better than Akagi though, captain gori didnt seem that impressive. Rukawa sleeping and waking in class was favorite minor part. Now if only Sakuragi would work together with him.

Articalys

The market research firm Oricon reported that sales of compiled book volumes (tankōbon) of manga dipped 1.5% to 267.5 billion yen (about US$2.886 billion) in 2012, compared to the year before. This is the first recorded sales drop since Oricon began taking annual statistics on book sales in Japan in 2009.

Sales of compiled book volumes of manga totaled 270.31 billion yen in 2009, 270.67 billion in 2010, and 271.71 billion yen in 2011.

According to Oricon, overall book sales also dropped 5.4% from 1.112 trillion yen to 1.0528 trillion yen (US$11.359 billion). This is the three straight annual drop, and the first time that the total went below 1.1 trillion yen. Bunko (trade paperback book) sales also fell 2.1% to 128.5 billion yen (US$1.386 billion)

For 2012, Oricon surveyed sales in the 52 weeks from January 2, 2012 to December 30, 2012. For 2011, Oricon surveyed sales in the 53 weeks from December 27, 2010 to January 1, 2012.

For the second year, Shueisha was the publisher with the highest market share with 14.5% of the overall books sold (178,210,000 books). Its market share dipped by 0.2 points compared to 2011. Kodansha increased its market share by 0.1 points to 10.8%, and Shogakukan rounded out the top three with 7.9% (an increase of 0.5 points).
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ume-sales-dipped-1.5-percent-in-japan-in-2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom