• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
That's definitely a good option too, I'm just recommending what I know that works well.

I tend not to trust anything android that doesn't use stock android. :p Also being from australia a lot of their services are locked away for me.

The nexus 7 is the same price.

Also I don't really like anything above 7 inches. 7 inches is perfect for one handed usage.

Reknoc

Pick ups:

BCq8fA3CIAA4-zq.jpg

One Piece vol 3-6
"Struggling" to read this would be an understatement. I really want to keep at it till it gets "good", but this really is trying my patience.

Thank God someone with fresh eyes is reading One Piece. There is no jump in quality in the series, it's the same story over and over and over. Oda found a mad lib that he likes, and plugs it in with a random word generator. If that's not your thing, you're never going to like One Piece. There's no point in waiting for it to get better, because it doesn't.

789shadow

Banned
Thank God someone with fresh eyes is reading One Piece. There is no jump in quality in the series, it's the same story over and over and over. Oda found a mad lib that he likes, and plugs it in with a random word generator. If that's not your thing, you're never going to like One Piece. There's no point in waiting for it to get better, because it doesn't.
Don't listen to this man's falsities.

But it's fun.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Rereading Jojo.
Shame only part III has been localised. What I wouldn't give for a part V and VI collection on my bookshelf. Wonder if they'll ever get around to it once All-Star Battle is released in Europe.

Stinky

I do think you should stop reading One Piece if the earlier volumes aren't your thing, but it really does get a lot better. You would be an idiot to think not. The art gets improved tons and there is some great world building.

One Piece is my favourite manga but if it stayed the same since the beginning it definitely wouldn't be.

And lol at the complaint that the arcs are derivative. Welcome to every shonen manga. And even One Piece changed it up during Impel Down and the Marineford War (though we're back to the Next Island Ahoy arcs)

The art isn't improved to the point of being a bullet for One Piece. It's still Disney meets Bobobo with pirates. The quality of writing has also not improved significantly, there are just more concurrent characters to work with. In fact, there are so many running jokes and tired plot sequences at this point that I'd argue that the writing is worse by virtue of being less creative.

Who was complaining about One Piece being derivative? That's the least of its problems.

Kusagari

I find it ridiculous to tell someone to skip Arlong Park because it's the arc that basically sets the tone and formula for the rest of the series. I can see someone hating everything up to that point beginning to like the series with Arlong, but if you hate Arlong Park I find it hard to believe you'll suddenly love the series at Alabasta.

I find it ridiculous to tell someone to skip Arlong Park because it's the arc that basically sets the tone and formula for the rest of the series. I can see someone hating everything up to that point beginning to like the series with Arlong, but if you hate Arlong Park I find it hard to believe you'll suddenly love the series at Alabasta.

The Episode of Nami is an excellent take on Arlong Park spread across nearly two hours of up to date visuals.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Pretty much, everyone is down on the series until Arlong Park. It's really at that point where everything clicks.

One Piece is one of those series where Oda could literally milk the entire universe for the rest of his life IF he wanted too, because of the way he set it up. A true-honest- to god adventure manga.

1000 chapters doesn't seem farfetched at all in hindsight.

Well this would be amazing so I don't know what you're complaining about.

Again, I didn't make a judgment about whether the artstyle was good or not, I said it wasn't improved enough to be worth talking about the difference.

It's important to not bother addressing points the other person isn't arguing. Speaking of clarity...

Gods beard's criticisms of one piece is worse then big ones hating on naruto or bleach, heck it's worse then beams criticism of one piece

I gave a lot more reasons for my opinions than you did for not liking mine. This thread doesn't do well with negativity, does it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Pretty much, everyone is down on the series until Arlong Park. It's really at that point where everything clicks.

It's funny, like some people here I discovered One Piece through Shonen Jump. Even when it started out I thought it was the best of the series. This is a magazine that also included Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho and pre-card games Yu-Gi-Oh.

Guess something about it stood out to me.

But yeah, Arlong Park is where the series really takes off.

bigkrev

So i guess I'm just going to read a summary of everything up till arlong park and then start with that. Anyone have a link to a good synopsis?

upandaway

So i guess I'm just going to read a summary of everything up till arlong park and then start with that. Anyone have a link to a good synopsis?
I think you're overestimating how much you have to read until then, if you suggest reading a synopsis. Or I'm underestimating just how much you hate what you're reading.

Either way I'm gonna second the "watch Episode of Nami instead of reading the arc" suggestion. Not only is it right up your alley in your situation, it's also the best choice in any situation period.

I think you're overestimating how much you have to read until then, if you suggest reading a synopsis. Or I'm underestimating just how much you hate what you're reading.

Either way I'm gonna second the "watch Episode of Nami instead of reading the arc" suggestion. Not only is it right up your alley in your situation, it's also the best choice in any situation period.

Is it really that good? I think I may need to watch it then I always love the music in One Piece anime.

arkon

Honestly if you've read 6 volumes of One Piece and you say struggling to read it is an understatement, then you might want to stop reading.

I certainly got more invested in it when I got to the Arlong Park stuff, but there was at least enough enjoyment for me in the early stages that I never really questioned dropping it.

Kusagari

It really condenses the arc that well?

Big One

Banned
Episode of Nami is pretty damn good (better than Movie 8), but there's a certain charm to reading the original manga. Considering how many chapters it is, it isn't really that much time to invest. Though Arlong Park does serve as a basis to what you'll be seeing later in the series.

upandaway

Is it really that good? I think I may need to watch it then I always love the music in One Piece anime.

It really condenses the arc that well?
I really, really, really really liked it. It was pretty great. *cough* It was really great, in my opinion.

At the very least, I don't think it's arguable that they did beautiful justice to the flashback. I do think the march wasn't the most exhilarating of creations, but it was still amazing.

It also has the best intro I've seen for those "arc remade into a thing" things.

Big One

Banned
As for the situation on One Piece getting better.

In terms of tone, setting, characters, etc. it pretty much never changes. What changes is how the story develops. Unlike Naruto, Bleach, or most shonen manga there is a grandiose world in One Piece that you actually give a shit about.

One Piece is a series full of feel-good stories that bury the more interesting shit that develops and expands throughout each arc. It isn't just a bunch of card-games-on-motorcycles garbage you see in every other shonen, though it has that type of stuff for the people that want that type of stuff.

It took me until the CP9 arc (literally hundreds of chapters) to really appreciate One Piece, so I can't promise you anything. And by appreciate, I mean I start to really realize why every other chapter before what I was reading at the time purpose was and how much it affected and built up to this. It may take you till Alabasta, or even Marineford to feel the same way, it's really up to the person and how they feel about things.

It gets better, however if you don't like Arlong Park you probably won't like anything else in the series.

Kreed

Shingeki no Kyojin 42

Holy FUCK. I KNEW IT. I FUCKING KNEW IT.

I know there's no "rule" for this, but you should mark when you're talking about an actual chapter release or just spoilers, just so people know not to look for a chapter that may or may not be out yet.

Inuyasha 559:

And Koga continues to no longer exist. Really pointless chapter too, they could have at least skipped ahead a few years, otherwise it serves less of a purpose than the final chapter did.

Inuyasha 559:[/B]

And Koga continues to no longer exist. Really pointless chapter too, they could have at least skipped ahead a few years, otherwise it serves less of a purpose than the final chapter did.

Who?

seriously though yea its just some creature who was really late to the party.

i see Deadman Wonderland has returned.

Team Medical Dragon

Nonononono! I can no longer accept this manga as any form of valid criticism of the Japanese medical system. There was some slight hypocrisy earlier with saying recommending Japanese patients to American hospitals was a sickness when they spent so much time making turning away foreign patients such an evil. But this is horrifying.

YOU DON'T FUCKING ABANDON A BABY IN THE MIDDLE OF SURGERY TO HELP SOMEONE ELSE BECAUSE THEY'RE RELATED TO YOUR CO-WORKER.

This isn't even a malpractice issue, this is abandoning the entire principle of your story and just throwing it out the window.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the last naruto chapter was great, for once I'm glad the manga switched to Sasuke and co. I was getting tired of the Jyuubi fight.

bigkrev

Alright, I guess I'll give Episode of Nami a try. Shame it isn't on Crunchyroll though, means I'll probably have to wait a day to see it.

Team Medical Dragon

Nonononono! I can no longer accept this manga as any form of valid criticism of the Japanese medical system. There was some slight hypocrisy earlier with saying recommending Japanese patients to American hospitals was a sickness when they spent so much time making turning away foreign patients such an evil. But this is horrifying.

YOU DON'T FUCKING ABANDON A BABY IN THE MIDDLE OF SURGERY TO HELP SOMEONE ELSE BECAUSE THEY'RE RELATED TO YOUR CO-WORKER.

This isn't even a malpractice issue, this is abandoning the entire principle of your story and just throwing it out the window.

This makes me want a manga about a Tea Party crazy who wants to take down Obamacare. Along the way he must fight the Death Panels who have marked his grandmother for death.

Picture it as one big Republican Acid Trip.

Team Medical Dragon

I knew you would hate that part. There is no way it would happen in real life.

How? How could you even write that into the story? It's incomprehensible. It's insulting. If I was the editor on Team Medical Dragon I would have blown my lid. I thought the whole point of the section when she rolled into the ER was do have his mom die and go deeper into his madness of blaming and worshipping Asada because he wouldn't be able to leave. Instead we get this bullshit.

I only watched a few episodes of the anime. Is the manga better?

Not so much. The manga is a quicker read though, but the anime is a great adaptation of it. In the anime, the added scenes and the movement of some of the events makes it flow much better.

Kurita

Not so much. The manga is a quicker read though, but the anime is a great adaptation of it. In the anime, the added scenes and the movement of some of the events makes it flow much better.

Yeah the fight scenes were great. Maybe I'll continue watching it...
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom