• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How? How could you even write that into the story? It's incomprehensible. It's insulting. If I was the editor on Team Medical Dragon I would have blown my lid. I thought the whole point of the section when she rolled into the ER was do have his mom die and go deeper into his madness of blaming and worshipping Asada because he wouldn't be able to leave. Instead we get this bullshit.

Thing is the original writer for the mangaka (Akira Nagai) who is a successful doctor himself died in 2004. I'm sure he'd be rolling in the grave on that one.

Cwarrior

Thank God someone with fresh eyes is reading One Piece. There is no jump in quality in the series, it's the same story over and over and over. Oda found a mad lib that he likes, and plugs it in with a random word generator. If that's not your thing, you're never going to like One Piece. There's no point in waiting for it to get better, because it doesn't.

If it's the same thing over and over then why is mangagaf unable to predict what happens next but is continuously surprised by the turn of events in the plot.

-why was mangaf caught by surprise by the end part of thriller park
/kuma/laboon
-why was mangaf left baffled after Sabaody Archipelago
-why was gaf like wtf when blackbeard should up in
impel down
-why was gaf like holyshit after luffy made it over the wall to face three
admirals
-Why did mangaf melt down after
ace died

If it's the same thing surly everyone shouldn't be so surprised.

If your going to say this then you at least provide us prediction for the next chapters/arc/ events that take place for your argument to have more weight and make the discussion more interesting.

Personally myself I hate predictable story's I certainty wouldn't be reading one piece if I felt it was, am usally able to predict nearly all mangas and where there storys are going very easily yet am unable to do the same with one piece.

If it's the same thing over and over then why is mangagaf unable to predict what happens next but is continuously surprised by the turn of events in the plot.

-why was mangaf caught by surprise by the end part of thriller park
/kuma/laboon
-why was mangaf left baffled after Sabaody Archipelago
-why was gaf like wtf when blackbeard should up in
impel down
-why was gaf like holyshit after luffy made it over the wall to face three
admirals
-Why did mangaf melt down after
ace died

If it's the same thing surly everyone shouldn't be so surprised.

If your going to say this then you at least need provide us prediction for the next chapters/arc/ events that take place for your argument to have more weight.

It's almost like you didn't read the part where I said "random word generator". I've been battling reading comprehension more than people's opinions with this thing. My point was that the structure of the storytelling is an endless loop of one arc, not that it was predictable on an event-to-event basis. Only Oda could do that. It's also why I can predict Naruto on an event-to-event basis, because I'm the writer. Endless loop is also the only valid criticism of GTO, which is a much better story with a similar structure to One Piece.

Alright, I guess I'll give Episode of Nami a try. Shame it isn't on Crunchyroll though, means I'll probably have to wait a day to see it.
Its worth watching.

Though personally if Im following a series and the first arc doesnt grip me, unless theres a genre shift, Ill drop it.No point trying to plow through something uninteresting when theres thousands of other series out there, like psyren.

Big One

Banned
It's almost like you didn't read the part where I said "random word generator". I've been battling reading comprehension more than people's opinions with this thing. My point was that the structure of the storytelling is an endless loop of one arc, not that it was predictable on an event-to-event basis. Only Oda could do that. It's also why I can predict Naruto on an event-to-event basis, because I'm the writer. Endless loop is also the only valid criticism of GTO, which is a much better story with a similar structure to One Piece.
What does this even mean?

I really doubt you've actually read One Piece here. This sounds like arguments I've made in the past about why a series like Naruto sucked without actually reading/watching it.

Reading Team Medical Dragon is really depressing me. I was slowly building into it, but after the baby thing and knowing the researcher died it's tainted. I'm not really enjoying myself anymore.

What does this even mean?

I really doubt you've actually read One Piece here. This sounds like arguments I've made in the past about why a series like Naruto sucked without actually reading/watching it.

Damn, I got found out. Soemone finally figured out that I've never read One Piece. You win.

Cwarrior

It's like you don't read your own post.

Thank God someone with fresh eyes is reading One Piece. There is no jump in quality in the series, it's the same story over and over and over. Oda found a mad lib that he likes, and plugs it in with a random word generator. If that's not your thing, you're never going to like One Piece. There's no point in waiting for it to get better, because it doesn't.

Right here you said it was the same story not the same structure.

I interrupted random world generator as different backdrops/setting as most would I imagine.

Ninth Life Love 1-6 end)
tumblr_mhyzl9DrQH1qbxqfpo1_250.png

About three different stories in here with good art. Another good purchase ultimately. Anyway the cover story is really good and ones such as it always get to me. Using pets that sudden die then are reincarnated as humans, people who had such strong attachment to their pets, is always so well done when they start friendship and such. Really emotional and a great conclusion. The other story was a widowed dad and daughter and having difficulty expressing love, as well as the first story, my second favorite in this, two people who randomly met at a part and also struggle with communicating their feelings. Would have liked to see it a bit more so that we can see how one of them finally tells the other about himself, but good overall.

K - Living Daylights

Expansion on their the highschool days of Mikoto and Munakata, really good personality for them back then.

Right here you said it was the same story not the same structure.

Don't be disingenuous. It's pretty obvious that I didn't mean it's fucking groundhog day.

I guess it's been a long enough slumber that people start paying attention to GB again...

Whoo, I make arguments based on critical thinking and try to back my reactions and interpretations with examples, but let's pay more attention to straw men and pedantry guys! Who needs constructive discussions! I can't wait until this thread is nothing but plot summaries again!

It's been like this since OT1.

• I post something negative about a manga
  • "oh boy, here's GB again"
  • *someone gets mad at me for something I didn't argue*
  • I try to pull them back into the argument
  • *goes back to what they thought they were arguing about*
  • *nobody winds up posting a counter-argument to what I was actually saying*
  • *someone brings up half of something I said 7 months ago out of context that doesn't relate to the topic at hand*
  • "That GB sure is a dumbass attention whore"
  • Next week's comics come out

• *someone brings up half of something I said 7 months ago out of context that doesn't relate to the topic at hand*

You are so misunderstood.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I guess people don't have ability to turn their logic off while they are reading Shonen Jump. Shonen Jump mangas occasionally don't follow logic because the books are targeting children/teenagers. That's my opinion.

It must be rough being such a martyr.

Keep fighting the good fight. Love your impressions.

Stinky

Food Smut

Prepare for battle. Busty black girl? Oooh yeah.

Aku No Hana 41-42

Seems like Kasuga is more depressed than crazy now but Saeki is still NUTS. I still feel bad for his parents

scy

To be fair, One Piece arcs do follow a similar structure. I mean, it's entirely why we keep saying things like wanting another Water 7/Enies Lobby or Alabasta arc and not more Thriller Bark or Skypiea ones. They do follow a general trend in their impact.

That said ... is this really a bad (or even unexpected?) thing?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Foodsmut 10:
Aw yiss.

Motha.
Fuckin.
Brown Skinned Girls.

Kusagari

To be fair, One Piece arcs do follow a similar structure. I mean, it's entirely why we keep saying things like wanting another Water 7/Enies Lobby or Alabasta arc and not more Thriller Bark or Skypiea ones. They do follow a general trend in their impact.

That said ... is this really a bad (or even unexpected?) thing?

Yeah, I completely get what God's Beard is saying.

I just don't see think it really matters if you find that structure enjoyable. Which is of course subjective.

You know what was another fun argument? I liked people's reactions when I said Attack on Titan is Bad-Art Gantz. Which is true. I don't really remember why, because that series is dead to me, but it's true.

Yeah, I completely get what God's Beard is saying.

I just don't see think it really matters if you find that structure enjoyable. Which is of course subjective.

Exactly. The whole point is that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who didn't like the first few arcs because the manga never makes a major change. I personally think the manga is garbage for people with short attention spans(like little kids), but you'll notice that I never told anybody to stop reading it.

Cwarrior

I guess people don't have ability to turn their logic off while they are reading Shonen Jump. Shonen Jump mangas occasionally don't follow logic because the books are targeting children/teenagers. That's my opinion.

That's not just shonen it's the same for senien,shojo and josei.

I don't believe any manga follows logic, you have to be willing to adjust your Suspension of disbelief,one example characters are always behaving illogicaly and nothing like someone with a brain would.

Come at me mangafbros.

bigkrev

Its worth watching.

Though personally if Im following a series and the first arc doesnt grip me, unless theres a genre shift, Ill drop it.No point trying to plow through something uninteresting when theres thousands of other series out there, like psyren.

Oddly enough, its normal for me to like something in the beginning, and then dislike it after the genera shift or "main plot" starts. Yu-Gi-Oh (up until Duelist Kingdom/all cards) and Yu Yu Hakusho (when it was just about a guy who was dead and brought back to life to deal with rouge demons) are 2 examples of series I dropped once the big stuff started to happen.

I actually thought that One Piece has an awesome first chapter, but haven't liked anything since then.

Exactly. The whole point is that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who didn't like the first few arcs because the manga never makes a major change. I personally think the manga is garbage for people with short attention spans(like little kids), but you'll notice that I never told anybody to stop reading it.

Having a short attention span is exactly what you can't have with OP. There's sooooooooooo much shit to remember.

To be honest, he's kind of right.
Still love One Piece though, one of my fav mangas.

According you, of course. One of the major draws of OP - the overarching world and narrative - takes a while to kick in, and thats when I think the series ratchets up a notch.

I agree that one piece has a pretty clear structure at it is most basic level, but there is a great deal of creativity each situation plays out and how characters interact, never mind the visuals. There is a vibrancy to OP that I don't see in many other manga.

It'll never be as good as Terra Formars. There are some walls that can't be scaled.

Also, "According to you" is a really annoying phrase. Why would you need to remind someone that it's their opinion? It goes without saying.

It'll never be as good as Terra Formars. There are some walls that can't be scaled.

Also, "According to you" is a really annoying phrase. Why would you need to remind someone that it's their opinion? It goes without saying.

So you keep bitching about how no one wants to have a discussion. Then someone makes an argument about why One Piece improves as you go along, and you nitpick about a phrase he used that has nothing to do with his actual point.

So you keep bitching about how no one wants to have a discussion. Then someone makes an argument about why One Piece improves as you go along, and you nitpick about a phrase he used that has nothing to do with his actual point.

But I'm not arguing against his point. I just see that phrase used a lot.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Can't we all just agree Bleach is the best running Shonen and move on? Bloody hell.

scy

*someone gets mad at me for something I didn't argue*
I try to pull them back into the argument
*goes back to what they thought they were arguing about*

Are we moving on to Phase 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom