• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yonafunu

Dogs: Bullets & Carnage 79

Interesting, I guess. There were some more revelations than usual.
The beginning with Magoto and Naoto 1/Fruhling training with Fuyumine threw me off, thought it was Naoto 2. Doesn't help she looks kinda similar. It doesn't match up age-wise though.
I guess Magoto really is Fruhling's little brother.
Also, every chapter ends the same. Always.

God I love Miwa Shirow's art.

Haikyuu! 45

What I love about this series is that the opponents aren't all portrayed as bad guys, on the contrary, they are really the same as Karasuno.
They're trying their best and love the game. This series has no bad guys so far, not a single antagonist, apart from two characters, I'd say.

Haikyu 2-5

I have to admit, when Kageyama finally set it up for Hinata it was pretty cool. It was set up in a decent way to make it not seem so friendship-y/forced/hammed up.

Where the hell is their sixth person?

Edit: "Throw the game=Lose the game on purpose." Did that really need to be pointed out? :lol

Black cat -80

Maybe I'm an odd cat but I find Janus really annoying. Glad we're getting introduced to the rest of the numbered assassins quickly so that we can begin to whack them and the apostles off one by one. With where the plot is going I'm not sure how many more vignette chapters we'll be able to fit in.

Unbreakable Machine Doll 29

I've heard that this series fades farther into the LNs, as it becomes a "hero saves/haremizes one girl per volume" thing, but in the manga at least it's pretty good so far... so yeah, it IS a show where he seems to rescue girls, but so far it's also an often serious series with good writing. In this episode he wins the fight, but still the situation is bad... I like this series so far, but we'll see if it continues to be good. So yeah, Fray's almost saved, I guess. As long as they can get through the aftermath of this that is. So yeah, good chapter.

Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Iliya 3rei 3

3rei so far is much more serious than the first two... there's not much fanservice, and the humor is darker too. Well, Iliya IS in an alternate, somewhat unhappy world, and is desperately trying to find Miyu, so that's understandable. So far this third series is great. The change in tone fits well with the end of the seires, and it's still plenty light and funny -- this is just darker than the first two, not actually depressing or something. How they get through the Ainsworth's crater, for instance... good stuff. :) Yes, this chapter has some pretty silly moments in it...
and seriously, it still takes some getting used to Gilgamesh as a nice young boy... :p
And that ending to the chapter! Surprising...
So Gilgamesh has a rival! She looks like she'll be tough to beat.
So yeah, overall, Fate/Kaleid is better than ever. This series is quite different in tone, setting, and characters from the first two, but it's just as good, or better.

Majikoi 28

Finally, as of a couple chapters ago, the manga caught up to where the anime started (midway through the game)... nice to see that fight from the manga's perspective. The anime got bad near the end though, I wonder if this will too... but the next few parts should be good anyway.

Witchcraft Works 19

The situation keeps getting tougher... though I imagine they'll pull through somehow. The Tower witches sure do seem to have the upper hand at the moment though... it'll obviously be up to the main characters to save the day.
Will those tower witches they're keeping in the house really help out against the other tower witches, though? That might be interesting. :)

Inuyasha 559

Nice to see the characters again, but it's still funny that she chose the final chapter (558) to FINALLY have Kagome start dressing in clothes from the period... it fits well, but I never could quite understand why (beyond the obvious "it's anime/manga", which is surely the only reason) she dressed in her school uniform while in the other world through almost all of the first 557 chapters... I liked Inuyasha, but really, that made no sense.

Started reading Love Hina from the beginning and am enjoying it alot.
Keitaro is more of a loser in the manga than I remember in the anime.
The first half is the good half, unfortunately... most of the second half of the manga isn't that good (there's one good arc, but that's about it). I actually think that the anime is more consistently good... though yeah, I like both for sure.

2013 seems be the year of return of manga from hiatus!

Deadman Wonderland, Black Lagoon, High School of the Boobs/Dead, Sailor Moon reboot, DBZ movie and just maybe a return of Hiatus X Hiatus in latter half of 2013. Oh and that one Saint Seiya movie that might be coming out this year.

upandaway

So if I actually wanted to play a Japanese visual novel adventure game, where should I start? What are the best ones available in English?
OH
AH
OH

The one TWGOK seems to take the most from is Ever17 (somewhat 999 too), if that's the reason for your interest. It's also really good. I was never confident in predicting your taste but I think you'll like F/SN too, at least for the 2nd and 3rd routes.

OH
AH
OH

The one TWGOK seems to take the most from is Ever17 (somewhat 999 too), if that's the reason for your interest. It's also really good. I was never confident in predicting your taste but I think you'll like F/SN too, at least for the 2nd and 3rd routes.

Aha, I give this answer five stars.

I do like Unlimited Blade Works because it does something interesting with the otherwise contemptible main character.

Majikoi 28

Finally, as of a couple chapters ago, the manga caught up to where the anime started (midway through the game)... nice to see that fight from the manga's perspective. The anime got bad near the end though, I wonder if this will too... but the next few parts should be good anyway.

Really interested to see if they decide to bring in Otome from the Visual Novel or Tsubame when battling Momoyo.

I do still hope she decides to turn Yamato down after the battle, since I rather have a Yuki end.

wonzo

Banned
Food Smut 10
shokusoma10.png

The ecstasy tanned girls can produce!

Aku no Hana 42

Ahahahahaha shit. My NTR sense is tingling so bad after the end of this chapter. Kasuga breakdown imminent!!!

AKB49 111

If only Yoshinaga got run over by a car after the spat with her father.

Kiruko 9

jesus christ someone please just put this out of its misery

Fox318

Food Smut 10

The ecstasy tanned girls can produce!

Aku no Hana 42

Ahahahahaha shit. My NTR sense is tingling so bad after the end of this chapter. Kasuga breakdown imminent!!!

AKB49 111

If only Yoshinaga got run over by a car after the spat with her father.

Kiruko 9

jesus christ someone please just put this out of its misery

USA USA USA

I'll never get the appeal of Gundam.

Giant Robots and explosions... nuff said. That and the amount of action most Gundam pilots get, see Kira and Amuro.

But after you watch Gundam for a while you see the plot repeat like it does for long running shows. Made me dislike Gundam AGE very much but its probably the worst Gundam show after SD Gundam imo and by most fans.

Good thing Unicorn exists. Which reminds me to order Gundam Origin!

upandaway

Back when you used to see FSN everywhere I took a look. The anime was pure torture, but then I read about Unlimited Blade Works and wondered why they didn't use that instead.
Well Saber is like, the most popular character ever.
You should see Heavens Feel too sometime! The common opinion (mine too) is that it has the best Shiro.

The first half is the good half, unfortunately... most of the second half of the manga isn't that good (there's one good arc, but that's about it). I actually think that the anime is more consistently good... though yeah, I like both for sure.
Yeah I read some of the later stuff back after I watched the anime for the first time.
having not rewatched it in a while haven't noticed much difference yet.

Kusagari

Aku no Hana 42

Holy shit. I'm legitimately beginning to feel bad for Kasuga. The last thing he needed was Saeki's batshit insane ass showing up and doing that. And dat ending!

Vinland Saga Volume 1

This doesn't feel very Viking. I'm sure they got all their facts straight, and made sure the people were dressed were right way, but the way the characters talk, the way they act, and the story itself all scream historical tourism. You could take one of these guys and drop them into Planetes and, once you switch the armor for a space suit, he would fit right in.

wonzo

Banned
Abnormal-kei Joshi 1

This was kinda shit but I guess I'll keep on following this thanks to the utterly insane setup.

Medaka Box 181

FUCK YEAH NIENAMI

Not Popular 35

Tomoko totally deserved that. What an awful person she can be.

Really interested to see if they decide to bring in Otome from the Visual Novel or Tsubame when battling Momoyo.

I do still hope she decides to turn Yamato down after the battle, since I rather have a Yuki end.
I thought that the anime took a steep downhill turn once it hit the part where the other girls all got equalized, a couple episodes from the end... I assume that the original game is similar though, in terms of story. Majikoi, the anime, had some pretty good comedy episodes, but the serious/action episodes, those I didn't like as much... and the end part was all that.

Yeah I read some of the later stuff back after I watched the anime for the first time.
having not rewatched it in a while haven't noticed much difference yet.
The arc in Suu's home country is pretty good, and two other arcs are mostly okay (one of which ended up getting adapted in the Summer Special anime), but the rest of the stuff in the manga after the end of the original anime season... I didn't like most of it much. There were some very long arcs that really weren't any good... the anime's great beginning to end (I still like it a lot!), but I think the manga's more uneven in quality, just like the Love Hina Again 3-ep anime, which adapts one of those bad arcs, and was by far the worst Love Hina thing in animation... The better parts of the manga I certainly like, though.

dumbyugi

Dracu-Riot! Honey! 1

Seems to be comedy focused side-stories of the main series. This chapter was more to introduce the main characters so there's not a lot to go on.

Dethrone 1-4

Girls beat each other up and the winner gropes the losers boobs to get Dragon Queen spirit or some shit. It's the same type of series as Ikki Tousen but not as good.

Kurogane Hime 1-5

It's about the Iron Princesses, who are schoolgirls who were altered to strengthen their body by replacing their bones with steel and artificial muscles. The main character is a Toui, who are doctors who repair the Iron Princesses. I actually had a hard time following this for some reason. There's nothing too complex about the story but it seemed to flow badly. I'll keep reading because I like the setting but I may drop it if it doesn't get better.

Jashin-chan Dropkick 1-6

A comedy about a chuuni college girl who summoned a snake tailed demon girl. The demon is trying to kill the chuuni because it's the only way for her to get back to hell, of course it always backfires because it's a gag manga. I found it pretty funny and the characters are cute.

Another Kiss web5-6

I wish a full chapter of this would come out instead of these shitty 3-4 page pointless chapters.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Vinland Saga Volume 1

This doesn't feel very Viking. I'm sure they got all their facts straight, and made sure the people were dressed were right way, but the way the characters talk, the way they act, and the story itself all scream historical tourism. You could take one of these guys and drop them into Planetes and, once you switch the armor for a space suit, he would fit right in.

I dunno though, what more can he do to make it more "viking"? There a certain "manga" feel to it but I find that it captures the mood of the period pretty well.

I dunno though, what more can he do to make it more "viking"? There a certain "manga" feel to it but I find that it captures the mood of the period pretty well.

It's an accumulation of small things that bug me. Like having a character ask the main guy "Are you a thrall?" and him replying, "no, I'm a jarl," which you know is phrased that way just so you can get a footnote saying, "Thrall means x, jarl means y." Or having the dead father think like an abolitionist, because that's what a modern day reader would see as a good guy. Or having our hero take out like ten guys with a pair of knives. When I think of Vikings, I think of a society of mean bastards who were probably all scarred up and ugly as hell and most likely to die before they reach 30, who came from villages where no one bathed and there was always the danger of starvation and half the women died in childbirth and half the children died before they reached six. Building an engaging world requires more than drawing two bunches of guys and writing Franks under one of them and Normans under the other. Showing a fight we've seen a hundred times before, in a hundred different series, where an old bad-ass uses his mastery of aikido or whatever to beat up on a cocky kid has the exact opposite effect of world-building; it's such a familiar scene that it makes the world it takes place in generic.

I'm not saying that it has to be hyper-realistic; I don't care if it plays fast and loose with the historical record. All I want is, if you're going to write a series that hinges so much on the exoticism of its setting, make that setting something other than everything we've seen before but with a different hat on. To me, the mark of really great world building is when you're so drawn in that you feel like you see that world from the same perspective as someone who lives in it, if that makes any sense.

Edit: Also, now that I think about it, at least half my problem comes from how dull the art is.

Antiwhippy

It's an accumulation of small things that bug me. Like having a character ask the main guy "Are you a thrall?" and him replying, "no, I'm a jarl," which you know is phrased that way just so you can get a footnote saying, "Thrall means x, jarl means y." Or having the dead father think like an abolitionist, because that's what a modern day reader would see as a good guy. Or having our hero take out like ten guys with a pair of knives. When I think of Vikings, I think of a society of mean bastards who were probably all scarred up and ugly as hell and most likely to die before they reach 30, who came from villages where no one bathed and there was always the danger of starvation and half the women died in childbirth and half the children died before they reached six. Building an engaging world requires more than drawing two bunches of guys and writing Franks under one of them and Normans under the other. Showing a fight we've seen a hundred times before, in a hundred different series, where an old bad-ass uses his mastery of aikido or whatever to beat up on a cocky kid has the exact opposite effect of world-building; it's such a familiar scene that it makes the world it takes place in generic.

You should read more of the manga. It gets incredibly dark, and dark in the way of some really brutal viking shit happening. Pillaging and rape and murder and war, those kind of stuff.

Also of course they're going to introduce some basic viking/norse concepts early on, because it's not a setting familiar with most of the japanese, or most people in the world actually.

I should go back and reread the early parts though. I can't remember if it's a slow starter.

Edit: Also, now that I think about it, at least half my problem comes from how dull the art is.

Really? It has some of the best art in manga that I've seen.

Antiwhippy

Hmm, actually going back and reading the early parts the art is kinda bland, but it improves incredibly later on.

Problem with this series is that it takes such a goddamn long time to update that it's pretty easy to forget the early parts.

So I thought a bit more about what gods beard said and I can agree that the first few arcs can feel rather copy paste. The first 4 arcs are all recruitment arcs that do follow the same formula of "luffy is looking for a (position on pirate crew) and finds (character) who is perfect but doesn't want to join because (reason here) but when (villain) causes problems and luffy saves the day (character) has a change of heart, reveals there dream to (dream here) and they sail off.

Honestly though the series stops this after the baratie arc, from Arlong on no other arc follows this recruitment template. Honestly though while those first few arcs may drag for some I feel they're important to help build the relationships of the straw hat pirates so you understand while they'll go to such extremes at times for one of there own.

stryke

Break Blade 60

The build up is getting pretty good but I really expect more pages from a manga that releases so infrequently.

dumbyugi

Strike Witches: Suomus Misfits Squadron vol1

It's not a manga but this is the best place to post about light novels. This was an enjoyable read. The main character, Tomoko, is pissed that she got sent to Suomus, where there hasn't even been a single Neuroi attack, instead of Karlsland where all the fighting is happening. Tomoko meets the witches she has to team up with and is is not impressed in the slightest, all of them were sent to Suomus because they were untalented or misfits. The Neuroi eventually attack and Tomoko decides that everyone in her team is useless and decides to attack alone. Of course this is a story about teamwork so Tomoko eventually starts working with everyone. I was suprised that unlike the anime which only had subtext there is an actual full on lesbian character in this, two actually but only one of them is properly featured in this book. In the final fight of the book the lesbian, Haruka, refuses to put on her glasses because they make her look ugly and the only way she will put them on is if Tomoko will sleep with her. She says yes but of course never actually does, but it certainly suprised me that it wasn't just yuri subtext like the anime. The art shows Tomoko wears a skirt and it makes me wonder why almost no other characters do, I understand they can't wear pants because of the striker unit but clearly a skirt is fine. But whatever, overall I enjoyed this light novel and I wish the others were translated. 8/10

Kreed

Deadman Wonderland 52:

This chapter illustrates why I hate long hiatuses, especially with monthly mangas. Besides having to catch up/refresh your own memory in regards to what happened up to the point when the series went on a long break, the whole pacing of the story is thrown off when the series comes back and not because of the break. In this chapter for example, it seems like we got the contents of 3-5 chapters combined into one. The main characters have jumped right into finding the Mother Goose System in only a few pages, with a few pages used to remind the audience of what the main characters are trying to do. Meanwhile the tension that was built up in the previous chapter of Ganta having to use his ability/probably dying from it, is only an annoyance for Ganta in this chapter when he finally activates the switch.

Then we get Mockingbird coming back patched up ready to battle after being on the verge of death/being repaired last chapter (competing with Pain from Naruto for the worst manga cyborg title). This would have definitely been a "chapter ending surprise" under normal circumstances. But no, we get this surprise a quarter of the way through the manga, leading to a major battle between Mockingbird (and "older sister") and the heroes. The portion of the battle shown in this chapter should have been two chapters, with the heroes getting some major injuries and more build up to the counter attack before the end of Mockingbird (which will likely happen half way through the next chapter). And the counter attack felt too weak/fast, like something out of Fairy Tail.

I know many authors who come back from long breaks feel like they owe the fans after such a long break (in the case of Deadman Wonderland, a sped up story/more content in one chapter), but I'd rather the pacing had kept so that when the story is read as a whole, it flows together properly. As much as I complain about Hunter X Hunter taking breaks, Togashi seems to be the only hiatus author that has that part figured out (probably because of all the practice).

Haikyuu!! 43 - 45
tumblr_mi0d04k1fQ1qbxqfpo1_400.gif

Tsuki makes me laugh so much. I wish we do get back story on him and he gets a chance to shine in this match or something. Really deserves it. Hopefully Asahi can deliver and I kind of want sugawara to play in the next match.

I really want to see the surprising quick strike animated just to see how fast it truly is.

Haikyu!! 43-45
Karasuno playing like bosses.

Really good match, cant wait to see who they may be up against if they can win this match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom