• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Dont even know what the fuck happened in Bleach this week, Kubo's reached new lows. I also guess we've suddenly decided Sasuke is redeemable even though he's done heinous shit for years. Oh and Oro is sweet on the leaf now too. Because its time for a history lesson while the world ends. THE LONGEST FLASHBACK.

Oda please stop having breaks.

Mael

Currently, Toriko dwarfs OP/Bleach/Naruto. Well, maybe not Naruto for me since I like it the most subjectively.

I read some chapters from time to time but the incredibly stupid premise and the art kinda stop me from taking it seriously.
For all the people shitting on Bleach and Naruto, Toriko seems way more generic to get a pass on everything it does.
It doesn't hold a candle to OP or HxH that's for damn sure.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I read some chapters from time to time but the incredibly stupid premise and the art kinda stop me from taking it seriously.
For all the people shitting on Bleach and Naruto, Toriko seems way more generic to get a pass on everything it does.
It doesn't hold a candle to OP or HxH that's for damn sure.

Hahaha well, different strokes for different people I guess. Now that the big people are starting to show up then maybe OP can be exciting again--the arcs after the New World begins just bored me.

And boy, do I disagree with your "incredibly stupid premise" assessment. If anything, out of the big players Toriko is probably the one with the most creative in terms of premise. The manga also delivered many creative scenarios too, like that fruit that gets more delicious the more people can surprise them, hahaha.

The mangaka's fondness for truly out of the world scenario fascinates me too; the sense of scale and power levels in Toriko is really astounding, and often dwarfs even One Piece in my eyes (seriously, Toriko has a pudgy old man that can scoop mountains with ease and he's not even remotely close to being the strongest character)

Bleach

Unohana unleashes her bankai but we dont know what it does. I doubt she is dead.

Naruto

Talk no jutsu. The First shitting everyone pants was cool.

Flashback time next week.

Naruto

Really enjoyable chapter, nobody fucks with the First. Also the reactions to realizing Medara was back was good too.

Bleach

I enjoyed it, chapter felt really short again I guess when all you do is have tons of pages of no text just fighting it's easy to breeze though. Would really be shocked if this is the end of Unohana.

Mael

Hahaha well, different strokes for different people I guess. Now that the big people are starting to show up then maybe OP can be exciting again--the arcs after the New World begins just bored me.

And boy, do I disagree with your "incredibly stupid premise" assessment. If anything, out of the big players Toriko is probably the one with the most creative in terms of premise. The manga also delivered many creative scenarios too, like that fruit that gets more delicious the more people can surprise them, hahaha.

The mangaka's fondness for truly out of the world scenario fascinates me too; the sense of scale and power levels in Toriko is really astounding, and often dwarfs even One Piece in my eyes (seriously, Toriko has a pudgy old man that can scoop mountains with ease and he's not even remotely close to being the strongest character)

I'm all for pulp cheesy stuffs, after all I read and like Bleach and Naruto but even I have my limits.
The scenarii are outa this world but I didn't see any explanations for this either, I'm not putting my money in this (like I do for Bleach for example).
The premise is really that stupid between a cross from OP and HxH but....with food.
That seems so limitating and the art...really can't stand that.

Kurita

Wanting to create the best meal ever is stupid? Huh, I really think it's original and pretty cool.
It's basically "Gourmet hunters from HxH : the manga".

Mael

Wanting to create the best meal ever is stupid? Huh, I really think it's original and pretty cool.
It's basically "Gourmet hunters from HxH : the manga".

I was getting to that, I'm not saying it's uninteresting scenario, I'm saying it's not enough to carry a whole manga.
Gourmet hunters are kinda lame anyway.
It's kinda like Lawyer Hunters, can be cool but really you'd do a whole scenario based on that?

Westlo

So just finished the yorknew arc for hunter x hunter 2011, dies kurapika appear much from now on in the following manga arcs after greed island?

So just finished the yorknew arc for hunter x hunter 2011, dies kurapika appear much from now on in the following manga arcs after greed island?

No he pretty much falls off existence, he appears in a few panels during a phone call during Greed Island and appears in a few panels in the second to last chapter of the most recent arc looking more dark and gloomy.

Leorio also gets forgotten about until the Election arc where he plays a much larger role.

IHaveIce

Banned
Shit I forgot that OP was on a break.

Bleach was really stupid, does Unohana have maybe a bankai what instant heals her or revives her from the dead? Because other way I'm really let down how shitty Kubo decides which character to push.

Everytime the same stupid characters..

Did not read Naruto yet

Westlo

No he pretty much falls off existence, he appears in a few panels during a phone call during Greed Island and appears in a few panels in the second to last chapter of the most recent arc looking more dark and gloomy.

Leorio also gets forgotten about until the Election arc where he plays a much larger role.

FML

I guess he'll eventually return to prominence whenever the Troupe reappear but who knows how long that will be considering Togashi being a boss and taking time off whenever he wants.

Naruto

The first just don't give a fuck does he, nobody can stop him thats why everyone wants a part of him lol, good chapter looking forward to the flashback for once

Westlo

I think what most people who laugh @ Toriko's sales are pointing out that JUMP clearly tried to push it as the next One Piece and it's nowhere near that. You see manga series in JUMP like Kuroko and AC outdo what Toriko did with nowhere near the same push. Same thing happened with Ao no Exorcist, yeah it wasn't WSJ but it was JUMP Square.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
11th best selling manga of 2012 = nobody buying it?

I think he means in relation to how much Jump is pushing it. TV cross overs with One Piece and DBZ, a manga cross over with OP, one of the first characters announced for Project Versus J along with Goku and Luffy... They're clearly trying to make it the next big thing like OP and DBZ, but it just isn't selling like those, despite deserving to.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I think he means in relation to how much Jump is pushing it. TV cross overs with One Piece and DBZ, a manga cross over with OP, one of the first characters announced for Project Versus J along with Goku and Luffy... They're clearly trying to make it the next big thing like OP and DBZ, but it just isn't selling like those, despite deserving to.

To be fair, that's mostly because Toriko doesn't have generations of readers yet to build up its sales. We should be watching to see if Toriko's volume sales gradually increase over the years.

Westlo

To be fair, that's mostly because Toriko doesn't have generations of readers yet to build up its sales. We should be watching to see if Toriko's volume sales gradually increase over the years.

And Ao no Exorcist, Kuroko and AC have these generations of readers? Toriko's been pushed by Shueisha more than those 3 combined.

Naruto

That was a pretty good chapter. Probably because Naruto wasn't in it. Sasuke seems to be on his path of redemption, but even if he shows up at the war, he will ultimately fight Naruto. I don't think there's a way around it. Maybe it was mentioned, but do we know what Orochimaru's actual plan is? "I'm on the boy's side" is not really an explanation. He's probably the best villain in this manga (mostly because the others all sucked) and now that he's back and in possession of his full powers, he's suddenly Uncle Orochimaru, who helps little Sasuke to solve the mystery of the Uchiha?

grandjedi6

And Ao no Exorcist, Kuroko and AC have these generations of readers? Toriko's been pushed by Shueisha more than those 3 combined.

I expect Kuroko to get pushed more soo since its clearly a real rising star. AC is too new for such a push yet I imagine (wait for the anime?). And Blue Exoricist is in Jump Square and no one cares about them.

Anyway, I'm not really arguing that Shueisha will be victorious in promoting Toriko so much, just that its unfair to compare it to the older popular series.

Also I'm betting Toei plays a large part in why Toriko is promoted so heavily. In fact, most of the promotion comes from Toei in the first place so....

dumbyugi

Kuroko was pushed quite a bit in Jump before it took off. It was often in the bottom 5 in the TOC but would suddenly get a colour page for no reason. When the anime started it got a large fanbase of mostly women/fujioushis. Blue Exorcist had a succesful anime that got it a fanbase of, once again, women/fujioushis. AC is the only outlier in that it's success came from good word of mouth, much like Attack on Titan. The Toriko anime is popular, it rates really well for an anime, but it just didn't transfer into manga sales. While putting Toriko in everything is probably partly to do with wanting it to sell more, that's certainly what it was at first, it's also because kids like it so it will help sell it a little bit more.

dramatis

Updated OP with clarifications for leaks and spoiler images. If you guys feel like there should be something more specific, discuss away and I'll add reasonable suggestions to the OP if there's a clear and present problem.

Not today though. It will get drowned by WednesdayGAF.

I expect Kuroko to get pushed more soo since its clearly a real rising star. AC is too new for such a push yet I imagine (wait for the anime?). And Blue Exoricist is in Jump Square and no one cares about them.

Anyway, I'm not really arguing that Shueisha will be victorious in promoting Toriko so much, just that its unfair to compare it to the older popular series.

Also I'm betting Toei plays a large part in why Toriko is promoted so heavily. In fact, most of the promotion comes from Toei in the first place so....
I think if sales don't pick up after the second Toriko movie, then editorial should just let it slide. Nowadays it seems you can't become a top 5 seller from Jump without the female audience, and it's unlikely lightning will strike twice and raise Toriko to maybe even Bleach levels of sales.

Naruto

That was a pretty good chapter. Probably because Naruto wasn't in it. Sasuke seems to be on his path of redemption, but even if he shows up at the war, he will ultimately fight Naruto. I don't think there's a way around it. Maybe it was mentioned, but do we know what Orochimaru's actual plan is? "I'm on the boy's side" is not really an explanation. He's probably the best villain in this manga (mostly because the others all sucked) and now that he's back and in possession of his full powers, he's suddenly Uncle Orochimaru, who helps little Sasuke to solve the mystery of the Uchiha?

There has been a while in which the Oro/Sauce storyline stopped making sense.

Oro wanted the sauce body, and somehow it turned to this relationship. I just don't get it.

I'm sure that Kishi meant to prop up itachi as always with the itachi > First comment, but I want to believe that the first meant to say that itachi was a better shinobi in the sense of how much he gave for the village. That's my interpretation and I'm sticking with it.

Is good (or bad) to see how DBZ tradition is still going strong of power levels being meaningless. If a char seems weak at some point, they were handicapped. So, yea... Even now the hokages are power handicapped. I wonder if it will be revealed later that madara was also handicapped.

Kusagari

There has been a while in which the Oro/Sauce storyline stopped making sense.

Oro wanted the sauce body, and somehow it turned to this relationship. I just don't get it.

Oro's getting redeemed like Sasuke and getting a sob story. The panels where Sasuke said he knew Oro had real reasons for attacking the Leaf and Oro just remained silent said it all.

I think if sales don't pick up after the second Toriko movie, then editorial should just let it slide. Nowadays it seems you can't become a top 5 seller from Jump without the female audience, and it's unlikely lightning will strike twice and raise Toriko to maybe even Bleach levels of sales.

Well Toriko has been ranking in the top five or so for a while...so perhaps this year 2013 will be the year of Toriko, and it'll explode in sales. Were they really expecting the ~five year old Toriko series to reach the same level of sales as Naruto and One Piece in a much shorter time frame?

dumbyugi

Well Toriko has been ranking in the top five or so for a while...so perhaps this year 2013 it'll explode in sales. Were they really expecting the ~five year old Toriko series to reach the same level of sales as Naruto and One Piece in a much shorter time frame?

I think they were aiming more for Bleach level sales. They would have to be crazy to think any series would reach Naruto or One Piece sales in a shorter time frame.

Oro's getting redeemed like Sasuke and getting a sob story. The panels where Sasuke said he knew Oro had real reasons for attacking the Leaf and Oro just remained silent said it all.

I don't mind Sasuke going that route, but Orochimaru ...? He doesn't really need it. We saw him once or twice as a cute little snake kid during a flashback with the third, where he got told that everyone is going to die one day, so he went "nope" and did whatever he could to achieve immortality and learn all the jutsu in the world. It's fine as it is, it doesn't need some new sad and sobby story on how his parents were killed by some leaf anbu or whatever.

Lain

Gamaran volume 12
LAl.jpg

Gamaran keeps delivering on the manly fights (and the creepy, looking at the excited baldy toward the end).
Just like Gamaran, I don't have much respect for Ginki's strength.

Zetman volume 17
MAl.jpg

Oh man, they can't do that. They can't fucking do that. Poor Hanako, reduced like that. And fucking Koga, wtf is wrong with him and his twisted concept of justice.
If morphed Jin ends up hurting Hanako and not saving her, my seething hate will reach critical mass.

Kusagari

I don't mind Sasuke going that route, but Orochimaru ...? He doesn't really need it. We saw him once or twice as a cute little snake kid during a flashback with the third, where he got told that everyone is going to die one day, so he went "nope" and did whatever he could to achieve immortality and learn all the jutsu in the world. It's fine as it is, it doesn't need some new sad and sobby story on how his parents were killed by some leaf anbu or whatever.

I don't think he needs it either, but Kishimoto seems obsessed with giving every major villain a sob story and reasons for why they turned evil.

Wiseblade

I was getting to that, I'm not saying it's uninteresting scenario, I'm saying it's not enough to carry a whole manga.
Gourmet hunters are kinda lame anyway.
It's kinda like Lawyer Hunters, can be cool but really you'd do a whole scenario based on that?

Well, Capcom made a series of games about it, so...

Naruto

Very good chapter. I liked how Hashirama put Tobirama in his place. I laso liked how Orochimaru put Tobirama in his place. Next week the fight between Madara and Hashirama should be good.

Bleach

dramatis

Well Toriko has been ranking in the top five or so for a while...so perhaps this year 2013 will be the year of Toriko, and it'll explode in sales. Were they really expecting the ~five year old Toriko series to reach the same level of sales as Naruto and One Piece in a much shorter time frame?
Sales of a manga don't continue increasing over time. Somewhere along the line it hits a peak and then either plateaus or declines. If they've given it all this push, an anime, and two movies and it still sells below 500k, then it's probably time to give up, even if it has 'only' been 5-6 years.

grandjedi6

Toriko is consistently one of the most watched animes... mostly because its riding off of One Piece's coattails. But as long as that stays true, they'll probably continue pushing the series for Toei's sake

Why do you guys keep saying talk no jutsu? That's used when Naruto flips a bad guy, Sasuke's willingly asking for this info to make his decision. You can't just say talk no jutsu because people are having a conversation.

Why do you guys keep saying talk no jutsu? That's used when Naruto flips a bad guy, Sasuke's willingly asking for this info to make his decision. You can't just say talk no jutsu because people are having a conversation.

I remembered when Rurouni Kenshin used it. They called it mind-rape in a site I read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom