• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
No worries, 100 posts per page master race here.

http://i4.minus.com/ibpylqcVMbPL3D.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i5.minus.com/i4CoL7SebAEXJ.jpg[IMG]

lol Murata, why you do genius.[/QUOTE]

Took me awhile to even realise what that is.

Murata is clearly the voice of our generation.

Wiseblade

http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/wsg/image/1356/40/1356408078347.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

I prefer mine:

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibv0yGxCU8OJsv.gif

Bonus:

ibg15B5x6GFiur.gif
i8hPjQwzze1GZ.gif

PsionBolt

Hello manga thread. I almost never read manga, but today I read the entirety of Sumire 16sai, and I felt the need to reccomend that everyone else do so too. Best manga I've read in a long, long while. That is all.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Toriko

Holy shit, Setsuno can go Kenshiro with her mind.
Gourmet Corp has a Nitro? Oh crap.

Shouta

Rurouni Kenshin 1-40

So I got bored and decided to finally read through this. Can't say I'm hooked yet... the plot seems rather boring, I'm somewhat familiar with the characters from catching a couple episodes of the anime. I just think Samurai Deeper Kyo used the same sort of premise, and made it interesting (and more mature) earlier.

I do suppose it was a product of its time, and while it's held up better than some (Dragon Ball), it hasn't held up as well as others (Yu Yu Hakusho).

Samurai Deeper Kyo is like 10x worse than Kenshin overall. The first handful of chapters for Kenshin is a bit boring but the Kyoto arc is fantastic really.

Atredeus

Neo Member
Oh god, fucking Samurai Deeper Kyo. Man, that's not a good series. Actually, it's one of the worst samurai manga I've ever read.

As long as you take nothing seriously in it... works out pretty well. And with as much love for Neinami around here, Hotaru has to make the later parts decently worthwhile.

Shouta

Oh god, fucking Samurai Deeper Kyo. Man, that's not a good series. Actually, it's one of the worst samurai manga I've ever read.

It's fangirl wank for the most part. A read it entirely last year and it's such a mess. There's some cool parts to it but it's basically filled with crazy, stupid fantasy shit. The amount of damage everyone takes and how short the actual journey is was so ridiculous too.

Jintor

Finally up to date on Bleach again.

Man, lol what are you doing with Kenpachi, Kubo. Whatever. I'll check back in a year and see if this whole series goes anywhere

Atredeus

Neo Member
It's fangirl wank for the most part. A read it entirely last year and it's such a mess. There's some cool parts to it but it's basically filled with crazy, stupid fantasy shit. The amount of damage everyone takes and how short the actual journey is was so ridiculous too.

Really?... We read Bleach, and think people made of iron in Kyo is somehow more ridiculous?

It's all crazy, stupid fantasy shit. But that's what makes One Piece or Berserk fun to read. None of them are a masterful work of storytelling... just entertaining romps in escapism.

Shouta

Really?... We read Bleach, and think people made of iron in Kyo is somehow more ridiculous?

It's all crazy, stupid fantasy shit. But that's what makes One Piece or Berserk fun to read. None of them are a masterful work of storytelling... just entertaining romps in escapism.

I don't really read Bleach anymore, lol. But Kyo is pretty ridiculous later on. The time frame for the entire series is very tiny after a certain point and the amount of damage and recovery they do even goes beyond what Bleach does normally. At the very least, Bleach has the excuse that their characters are spirits most of the time. Additionally, Kyo started out as more down to Earth samurai fare and was for quite a while until everyone started getting elemental powers and shit, lol.

Atredeus

Neo Member
Samurai Deeper Kyo is a mess in all accounts; plot, design, and power level wise. It's a poor man's Rurouni Kenshin.

Seems to me it's just like Kenshin with all shounen tropes turned up to 11. It's not the best thing to read if you want a serious story, but it doesn't deserve to be vilified like Gantz or Fairy Tail.

(Hell, plenty of stories have started out kinda normal just to genre shift into crazy supernatural shit - Nejima anyone?)

Seems to me it's just like Kenshin with all shounen tropes turned up to 11. It's not the best thing to read if you want a serious story, but it doesn't deserve to be vilified like Gantz or Fairy Tail.

(Hell, plenty of stories have started out kinda normal just to genre shift into crazy supernatural shit - Nejima anyone?)

You can't really vilify a story.

Anyway I was so bloody annoyed with Samurai Deeper Kyo. I honestly think it was worse than Fairy Tail. At least Fairy Tail has Juvia.

Devil’s Thoroughbred (one shot)
tumblr_mi8db7tqlE1qbxqfpo1_250.png

Interesting read. Usually not the type of relationship setting I like but by the end liked how the two characters ended up and the extra hospital scene. The gang violence type stuff and one of the participants coming back exacting some revenge led to some suspense and drama which was alright. Entertaining one shot.

Magi dj - The End of Brave Story

Gorgeous cover. Kid Jafar was interesting and the inner struggle to try to be a normal human or to be a monster that loves killing, thankfully inspired by Sinbad probably made the right choices. Whole thing was just an adventure.

fertygo

I love Kyo when I'm in middle school, always smile like stupid dumbass when the new volume out in my country.. read it in turn with my cousin and all that lol

Still fond of it because nostalgia.

Big chance if I just read it now will say its total shit lol

bigkrev

Love Stage vol 2

An interesting volume that mostly just dissolves to smut in the end, but everything before that was interesting, at least. The idea of "let's just be friends" works, with Sena trying to introduce Ryouma to otaku culture (body pillows and all!),and the emotional scenes are given enough time to stand out, giving some plausibility (well, for a BL at least) to the relationship change. There is a pretty good hook leading into the next volume (Sena's older brother really doesn't seem happy his brother was taken advantage of), and the art continues to Improve.

One Punch Man ch 4

Fun chapter, but the whole "kills everything in a single punch" is already wearing thin. Want something to happen already.

Azure J

Zenkichi and Nienami Box

How didn't I see the last two chapters of this thing when they came out? What the actual fuck at the stuff in them though. Everybody's dead? But not dead? And fucking Nienami turns out to be the one they needed most? And based Anshin'in is trolling from the not beyond beyond?

This fucking series. :lol

upandaway

Toriko

That Setsuno spread gave me flashbacks to the "Release" spread in HxH. This war is going full force.

They could probably all gang up on the Nitro to kill it but that's only if only the Nitro was there. Kind of weird that the IGO doesn't have a Nitro of its own to use though, isn't it?

Beelzebub

:lol at Furuichi appearing out of nowhere and talking smack, twice. Furuichi is seriously the best guy.

wonzo

Banned
AKB49 113

FINALLY. No more dumb Yoshinaga angst and it's back to the GOD CRUSHING!

Abnormal-kei Joshi 2

Yeah, this is pretty bad and I'd drop it but I wanna see if the girl in the next chapter can save (p. unlikely).

Binbougami ga 50

I guess the basket head dude's the next big bad for this series.

Centaur's Worries 26

Boring as fuck.

Medaka Box 182

This really does feel like it's the end game. I hope this isn't the case as these past couple chapters have been pretty good.

dumbyugi

Saki Achiga-hen 19

I like that almost everyone at the nationals has some kind of power. I can't wait to see how Achiga becomes one of the two schools to advance. I'm kind of sad that this ends next chapter but I'm also glad that it's ending because it means that the author can focus more on the main series.

Yumekui Merry

Every single chapter recently has been fantastic. Even though this seems like a final showdown I really hope it isn't because I don't want the series to end. Beserk Merry was great and Yumeji continues to be badass.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha Vivid 35

I can't believe Vivio actually lost. I was 100% sure that she would win this fight. I never thought that she would win the entire tournament but I did think she would at least make it to the finals.

Ninomae Shii no Tsukaikata END

I'm glad this ended before it over stayed it's welcome. Shii finds a place where he belongs and Jun finally joins the RRS. It was a nice conclusion but I was a little dissapointed that none of the characters actually end up together, even though most of the second half of the series was focusing on 2 of the characters coming to grips that they love each other. 7.5/10

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Why are you guys discussing Kyo?

We are better than that filth, bleh.

I have never seen a battle manga that is so as incredibly formulaic as Samurai Deeper Kyo*. So much so that it's rather offensive to me.

The battles, especially, are incredibly stale and follow the exact same formula over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. For example, I lost count on how many "HE SUDDENLY DISAPPEARS AND SUDDENLY REAPPEARS AT THE BACK TO ATTACK" the author pulled off.

It's like Gamaran's seemingly unending "Hmph", which is annoying but at the very least Gamaran's fights are okay, for the most part. Unlike Kyo and its unbearable... almost everything.

*Except maybe Fairy Tail.

upandaway

Why are you guys discussing Kyo?

We are better than that filth, bleh.

I have never seen a battle manga that is so as incredibly formulaic as Samurai Deeper Kyo*. So much so that it's rather offensive to me.

The battles, especially, are incredibly stale and follow the exact same formula over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. For example, I lost count on how many "HE SUDDENLY DISAPPEARS AND SUDDENLY REAPPEARS AT THE BACK TO ATTACK" the author pulled off.

It's like Gamaran's seemingly unending "Hmph", which is annoying but at the very least Gamaran's fights are okay, for the most part. Unlike Kyo and its unbearable... almost everything.

*Except maybe Fairy Tail.
Dear Banana-man,

When mentioning, and/or describing, and/or discussing Gamaran, I would like you to assume the past tense so that I can maintain my innocence. Thanks

upandaway

The craziest thing about it isn't that it's a hand but that it's his hand! I can barely twist my hand far enough to draw on it without it hurting.

If it was Yabuki I'd expect the inside elbow next but that's just dangerous territory.

Dear Pokemon-Dinosaur-Thingy-Man,

Not sure I understand, hahaha.

Best regards,

Banana-Man.
You sure are Banana-man!

Mael

We will still be waiting for HxH to come back.

:'(
You only say that because you're being pahsed out of the story.
Also SDK is shit on sticks and you only know that when you reach the end.
Bleach is miles better, so is Gantz and nearly everything I've read so far.

Without any transition, I started Gokinjo
What should I expect?

Foolworm

Onepunch Man 24

Another flipbook sequence, another GIF moment. I love this series.

Unrelated note: AutomaticFlowers, the official site of The Five Star Stories, just got updated as part of the series' upcoming re-serialization. Also, Gothicmade is coming out on DVD in March. So excited!

Still waiting for Acony and Sing Yesterday for Me by Toume Kei to be completed in English. My French and Chinese are rather rusty.

Also waiting for Kimi no Kakera to be completed and Yuki no Tsubasa to be started. Both are by Shin Takahashi of Saikano fame.

Finally, waiting for All-Rounder Meguru. Kotonoha has been rather quiet for a while now, which is a bit sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom