• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atredeus

Neo Member
Yes, it is. The argument is Kyo does it at almost EVERY fight. Honestly, don't try to defend Kyo, it's a lost cause.

But hey, enjoy it. We might hate it but it doesn't mean that it should matter much if you do.

Oh, just trolling a bit. Honestly the two are too different to compare. Kyo caters to the lowest common denominator, and after the first arc, it has no ounce of reality. Still a fun read though, and some good fights.

I just haven't gotten to any interesting fights in Kenshin yet. And 70 chapters for a manga to really pick up is a bit long, IMO.

Hungry Joker 13
tumblr_mic1scbaKl1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Consistently the worst part of the series is the atrocious english and proofreading, I hope that Viz picks this up assuming the series picks up in popularity thanks to these shocking events of the last chapter and this one. Though am hoping Haichi pulls out some new trick or something against Dodo.

Kuroko no Basket

The fuck. Get on with it. Man the pacing is horrible, and i thought main characters fight in Shonen drag on. This has been dragging on for way too long.

2San

D-Frag! - 44
New chapter, new character reveal. Probably the only series where I don't mind getting so many characters. We still haven't seen the childhood friend though. xD

GManDH

my top three this week.
Toriko
AWESOME!! so happy to see setsuno in action. zaus needs to show up. more battles soon. they better not rush through anymore.
Fairy tail
stop confusing us. just tell us who the bad guy is and let them die.
HSDK
SO MUCH MOE!!! at least its violent.

Sun-ken Rock 6-8

85LGHFX.jpg

Now this was a sudden change in tone and felt a bit disconnected after the previous chapter. I didn't expect this at all. The tea house got attacked, the prostitues got raped and one of them even got kidnapped. It feels a bit like I'm missing a chapter or two.

Chapter 8 also has an extreme example of the "pictures as background" issue I talked about earlier.

wsG0if0.jpg

It's usually not this bad, but feels totally out of place, compared to the rest of the, IMO, pretty good art.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So... who are the big manga publishers in the USA?
I know of Viz, Kodansha USA, and Dark Horse. Are there others?

Jintor

Ah, forgot about Seven Seas probably because never bought anything from them.

Toradora, Girl Friends, and I've been looking at that I Have No Friends manga too. Excellent releases. I'm largely publisher neutral - I go where the quality is - but seems good to me.

Now if Yen would just bloody bring Yandere Kanojo over...

dumbyugi

Viz had FMA long before Yen became a major player. Yen doesn't have exclusive rights to the Squeenix stuff but I think they might have a first dibs thing going, much like Del Ray had with Kodansha.

Moosichu

Fairy tail
stop confusing us. just tell us who the bad guy is and let them.

Its going to be Mavis. Hehehe >:D

Seriously though, who are the bad guys at large?
- Princess?
- Shadow thingy
- Acnologia
- Zeref?
- Raven Tail? (I loved the part where they got obliterated by Laxus)
- Sabertooth?

Sun-ken Rock 9-11

Tae-seo and the rest are such bros.

fTI89dl.jpg

This was a ton of action and awesome bundled together. Even the few panels with humor didn't feel out of place. I don't want to post them, because they're place too well, IMO, and it would kinda ruin the moments for new readers.

Since Ken is building his own "gang", I'm really starting to smell some sort of shonen formula in this, even if the Vietnamese didn't join them. When it comes to new members, Ken is seems like the anti-Luffy and refuses to let anyone join at first. I like that, even if the outcome might be the same. And now that they lost, I'm expecting some sort of training arc. I wonder what tropes it will contain.

At the end of volume 2, the mangaka also explained that he pretty much does all the action scenes by using reference material from photos and if necessary, like for the fight scenes, he'll take them himself. I hope I'll get used to it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There's nothing wrong with using references I feel, as long as the references used makes sense for the scenes. Artists use real life reference to draw poses all the time.

Also I wonder how you'll feel when the manga shows how it deals with women in the action scenes.

Moosichu

Sabertooth is bad? Sting wasnt, Rogue wasnt, Rufus wasnt. I bet minerva isnt either...

That's what the question mark is for. Minerva and the Guild Master are power-hungry sadists (Minerva is a 'baddy' for all intents and purposes, beating up Lucy for fun in water sphere). Sting looks like he could flip and go Darth Vader on everyone and Rogue is possessed by a crazy shadow.

It could go either way at this point tbh. :p

Sun-ken Rock 12

XZPmHED.jpg

It's the start of a training arc.
On a mountain.
At a temple.
With a former street fighter turned monk (obvious reference).
And a slutty woman.

I'm okay with this.

Just like Ken, I'm starting to get curious about Tae-seo's background.

There's nothing wrong with using references I feel, as long as the references used makes sense for the scenes. Artists use real life reference to draw poses all the time.

Also I wonder how you'll feel when the manga shows how it deals with women in the action scenes.
I don't really have a problem with the references, I find it rather interesting. It's just some of the panels that are clearly blurred pictures that bother me. It feels a bit lazy. Considering how women are portrayed in other scenes, I think I can already imagine it.

Keylow415

Sun-ken Rock 12

XZPmHED.jpg

It's the start of a training arc.
On a mountain.
At a temple.
With a former street fighter turned monk (obvious reference).
And a slutty woman.

I'm okay with this.

Just like Ken, I'm starting to get curious about Tae-seo's background.

I don't really have a problem with the references, I find it rather interesting. It's just some of the panels that are clearly blurred pictures that bother me. It feels a bit lazy. Considering how women are portrayed in other scenes, I think I can already imagine it.

Sun-ken Rock is awsome

Sun-ken Rock is awsome
Absolutely. I'm glad I preferred it over Magi or JoJo. After so much magic, time travel and mystery, it's nice to read a manga in a realistic setting for a change. I still wonder how the mangaka got away with name dropping all those brands like Armani and D&G. Don't they usually try to avoid stuff like that?

Antiwhippy

It has the same problem as HSDK though. Awesome fights but holy shit the fanservice makes it hard to take it seriously at all.

Absolutely. I'm glad I preferred it over Magi or JoJo. After so much magic, time travel and mystery, it's nice to read a manga in a realistic setting for a change. I still wonder how the mangaka got away with name dropping all those brands like Armani and D&G. Don't they usually try to avoid stuff like that?
You should Black Joke as well

It has the same problem as HSDK though. Awesome fights but holy shit the fanservice makes it hard to take it seriously at all.
The (semi-)nudity in the chapters was always in context, as far as I can remember, so I didn't feel like it was that much "in your face". And the rape scene also didn't take 20 chapters, like in Wolf Guy. Only the panty girl at the temple has felt like she was only there for the fan service.

Antiwhippy

The (semi-)nudity in the chapters was always in context, as far as I can remember, so I didn't feel like it was that much "in your face". And the rape scene also didn't take 20 chapters, like in Wolf Guy. Only the panty girl at the temple has felt like she was only there for the fan service.

It gets SO MUCH WORSE.

I won't say which part, but there was a fight where throughout the scene I was going "Really?" constantly.

I still enjoy it though.

It gets SO MUCH WORSE.

I won't say which part, but there was a fight where throughout the scene I was going "Really?" constantly.

I still enjoy it though.
That sounds like the mangaka and his editors found a good source for reference material.

But seriously, that's annoying to hear. I love the change of tone within the chapters and the various funny panels, even during serious events and I won't say no to some nicely drawn boobs and butts, but it really doesn't feel like it needs to go that route and have half naked women in every chapter.

I said earlier and stand by that the Kyoto arc was the worst part of Kenshin. It forgot half way through that as a series kenshins strength is the struggle of the main protagonist to remain the ruroni instead of falling back into the ways of the burosai. Instead it just because a bunch of standard shonen fights which while really well done and enjoyable just aren't as good. Best arc is the step brother arc because it did a good balance of shonen fights while confronting the past kenshin so desperately wanted to bury
I vehemently disagree with this post, though I love the step brother arc

Antiwhippy

That sounds like the mangaka and his editors found a good source for reference material.

But seriously, that's annoying to hear. I love the change of tone within the chapters and the various funny panels, even during serious events and I won't say no to some nicely drawn boobs and butts, but it really doesn't feel like it needs to go that route and have half naked women in every chapter.

Well, it doesn't quite go as far as that.

Eh, if you enjoy what you're reading now you'll still enjoy it, just be prepared for female characters who might as well just be sex dolls.

There's a point where context is thrown to the window and ends being just fanservice. Personally...I don't mind.

I have to say that at least a good chunk of it is mixed with humor and is often quite funny.

Keylow415

I know it's a korean manga so maybe thats why they can get away with that stuff

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Onepunch-man

That ended way too soon :( but oh well.

Genos is really endearing when he tries so hard to look cool, haha. I need Saitama to pat him on the head and tell him he looked really cool there!

Also, don't get me wrong here, I love the animation spreads, but.. every chapter is a bit... y'know. Especially when it means we're getting half-chapters like this one.

The only upside is knowing that the punch line will be awesome.

Sun-ken Rock 6-8

85LGHFX.jpg

Now this was a sudden change in tone and felt a bit disconnected after the previous chapter. I didn't expect this at all. The tea house got attacked, the prostitues got raped and one of them even got kidnapped. It feels a bit like I'm missing a chapter or two.

Chapter 8 also has an extreme example of the "pictures as background" issue I talked about earlier.

wsG0if0.jpg

It's usually not this bad, but feels totally out of place, compared to the rest of the, IMO, pretty good art.

Sun-Ken-Rock has an an amazing art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom