• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

Tower of God

Not really a WOW chapter, but a great set up for the next arc. Good explanation for wtf happened, and its going to be fun seeing Baam and Koon with their new teams, Koon especially.

And I didnt know that pockets could do something like that, protect people. Well, that explains why Baam was talking through the lighthouse

He was the artist of Eyeshield 21, the (american) football manga, which was published in the WSJ.

I can see why then. Was never interested in football, be it American or European. I'm glad he's doing something that caters more to me, like OPM. His art is fantastic. I also need to check out his oneshit.

So I know Psyren got a rushed ending due to being canceled, what other long running (IE made it past the 17 chapter death mark) do we know for sure got canceled? Also for what reason was Psyren dropped did it just slip in terms of interest/sales for too long?

I don't think I get Beam's post.

I think BatDan and him have some history. I vaguely remember them fighting a bit in this or the previous thread. I guess this time he was mad that Bleach's intro didn't get cut, like it happens with other anime on Toonami and Beam was making fun of it.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I think BatDan and him have some history. I vaguely remember them fighting a bit in this or the previous thread. I guess this time he was mad that Bleach's intro didn't get cut, like it happens with other anime on Toonami and Beam was making fun of it.

I was just pointing out the inconsistency of Bleach having the full intro while the other shows don't. That's it.

upandaway

So I know Psyren got a rushed ending due to being canceled, what other long running (IE made it past the 17 chapter death mark) do we know for sure got canceled? Also for what reason was Psyren dropped did it just slip in terms of interest/sales for too long?
Psyren didn't actually get flat out canceled BAM (aka "pack it up in 4 chapters"), it was deliberately rushed by the author, I assume from a combination of: being pressured into it by his editor (imagine Psyren having Medaka Box rankings except not jumping up once in a while) + the fear of being told to end it out of the blue, and having no chance to end it decently.

Magico and Enigma both got canceled fair and square. The internet is pretty certain that Mx0 got canceled too but Kano likes to pretend sometimes that he ended it himself, so I don't know what's going on there. And there's always Shaman King, that was just ridiculous!

Psyren didn't actually get flat out canceled BAM (aka "pack it up in 4 chapters"), it was deliberately rushed by the author, I assume from a combination of: being pressured into it by his editor (imagine Psyren having Medaka Box rankings except not jumping up once in a while) + the fear of being told to end it out of the blue, and having no chance to end it decently.

Magico and Enigma both got canceled fair and square. The internet is pretty certain that Mx0 got canceled too but Kano likes to pretend sometimes that he ended it himself, so I don't know what's going on there. And there's always Shaman King, that was just ridiculous!

Yeah I heard Shaman Kings manga had a rushed BS ending too. Thanks for the clarification on Psyren, I plan on reading that series eventually. I read the first few chapters in US Jump magazine when I had a subscription thought it was good.

I guess the recent ones got cancelled unless manga writers write weekly stories to not last >25chps...
ST&RS, Pajama na Kanojo,Koisome Momiji, Kurogane

upandaway

Yeah I heard Shaman Kings manga had a rushed BS ending too. Thanks for the clarification on Psyren, I plan on reading that series eventually. I read the first few chapters in US Jump magazine when I had a subscription thought it was good.
Shaman King doesn't really qualify for a "rushed BS ending", it's more like "okay this random chapter is the final one, I guess lol" reinforced by like, 5 whole pages.

And yeah Psyren is pretty good for a while, at the very least I really really like the first half of it. If you can brush endings aside like me then you'll enjoy it a lot.

Akito

Emma v1
I shouldn't have read Otoyomegatari first because Emma's art looks so bland in comparison haha. Aside from that I like what I've read so far.

Oh so it's just tsundere love stuff? Kay.

Tower of God S2 52

This recent lead up to the workshop battle arc was completely unexpected. I guess Horyang is dead then? Everyone is in FUG and the religious fanaticism side of the organisation comes to the forefront. He acknoledged that this chapter was short so hopefully we'll get more next week.

Piecake

Tower of God S2 52

This recent lead up to the workshop battle arc was completely unexpected. I guess Horyang is dead then? Everyone is in FUG and the religious fanaticism side of the organisation comes to the forefront. He acknoledged that this chapter was short so hopefully we'll get more next week.

I dont think he's dead. Why take his body along if he's dead? Well, I guess if they can extract the devil from his dead body it would make some sense, but I think its more likely that he is alive

Akunin o Nakaseru Houhou 0

Brief prologue of the start, think it has potential but the dude has a wife so, I guess it is limited in how far they could to try to stimulate and start a relationship or something.

Funniest part was when he stepped across a crying kid in the middle of the store and the ladies expression.

upandaway

Magi

Aladdin's speech in the beginning was full-on god mode there.

I'm still not certain, because it might just be a translation thing, but Aladdin pretty much directly referred to the "One King" concept that En talked about, if you guys remember that. That's huge. Looks like Aladdin knows a lot more about the behind the scenes than I thought.
I'm really interested in knowing just what Ugo told Aladdin back then, hopefully we'll get a continuation of that this arc/in the post-arc.

Also, I've lost track of what Aladdin really wants to do now. He said Mogamet's doing things wrong but it doesn't sound like he wants Reim to get anything positive out of the war.. so I don't even know.

Anyway stage is set for Alibaba to jump in now that Aladdin became the center of everything. Can't wait for that one.

(lastly... judar? really? that doesn't seem right...)

Magi
Where's the next chapter, I'm curious about Aladdin's method to stop the war without needing to kill anyone.

Rukh No Jutsu :p

Magi

Aladdin's speech in the beginning was full-on god mode there.

I'm still not certain, because it might just be a translation thing, but Aladdin pretty much directly referred to the "One King" concept that En talked about, if you guys remember that. That's huge. Looks like Aladdin knows a lot more about the behind the scenes than I thought.
I'm really interested in knowing just what Ugo told Aladdin back then, hopefully we'll get a continuation of that this arc/in the post-arc.

Also, I've lost track of what Aladdin really wants to do now. He said Mogamet's doing things wrong but it doesn't sound like he wants Reim to get anything positive out of the war.. so I don't even know.

Anyway stage is set for Alibaba to jump in now that Aladdin became the center of everything. Can't wait for that one.

(lastly... judar? really? that doesn't seem right...)
Maybe it´s true. Judar means wall in Arabic.

Magi 174

Aladdin finally reveals to the world that he is a Magi, this series is just too good

Black Cat Fin

While I feel there is far too much potential in this world for the story to end here, I understand why the author did. The story was about Train's quest for freedom and solving the demons of his past and at the end he found this in defeating and redeeming Creed. Eve and Sven got to kick lots of ass in the finale though I feel the Time Guardians got the shaft only showing up in the end and only fighting scrubs that were barely worth the effort to off panel.

---

Not sure what to read next, Toriko continues to stare at me and now that I'm reading food smut I feel I might be able to endure it's food tempting ways. I did plan to read Deadman Wonderland and now that it's not on hiatus might have to catch up on that. Any thoughts/suggestions?

dumbyugi

Shaman King, Magico, Kurogane, MxO, Enigma, Muhyo and Reiji and Busou Renkin are the ones I can think of that got canned after going for a while. There are quite a few series that last past the 17 chapter death mark simply because there were other series getting canceled first, it's why it took so long for Kurogane to be canned. Psyren got canceled because it was ranking like shit and it didn't sell.

upandaway

Magi

Surfing around and I just stumbled upon the character stats. Immediately looked into Sinban and En, they are both so hax :lol
Sinbad is 5/5/4/5/5/4 and En is 5/5/4/4/5/4, holy shit!

Judar has 2/5 wisdom haha, and Hakuryuu has.. 1/5 leadership oh god I can't breathe this is comedy gold

Shaman King, Magico, Kurogane, MxO, Enigma, Muhyo and Reiji and Busou Renkin are the ones I can think of that got canned after going for a while. There are quite a few series that last past the 17 chapter death mark simply because there were other series getting canceled first, it's why it took so long for Kurogane to be canned. Psyren got canceled because it was ranking like shit and it didn't sell.

Is Magico any good?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Magi

Surfing around and I just stumbled upon the character stats. Immediately looked into Sinban and En, they are both so hax :lol

Judar has 2/5 wisdom haha, and Hakuryuu has.. 1/5 leadership oh god I can't breathe this is comedy gold

Where did you find them?

upandaway

Where did you find them?
I stumbled upon untranslated pics with them so I was about to say that, but it seems like they're all in the Magi wiki (in every character's page), so I guess we're lucky there!

retcon: Masrur has 2/5 technique, I mean I guess I can see it, but whoa (4/5 fighting ability too, he's weaker than i thought)

Thank you as well, of those the only one I recognize besides Shaman King is Buso Renkin which I know is from the author of Ruroni Kenshin.

Kreed

Liar Game 169:

I didn't see the point in pretending everything was "all wrapped up" in this chapter prior to the ending anyway. Nao and Akiyama have been trying to shut the entire Liar Game down. Removing Harimoto from the game was good but the author set things up as if the story could have ended if the second game had gone well (unless Akiyama and Nao's intentions changed somewhere).

smh @ the hiatus.

Magi 174:

Where the hell is Alibaba? How long is his and Aladdin's reunion going to be delayed, especially with Aladdin performing a Shingeki No Kyogin laser light show? There's no way Alibaba didn't see that.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I stumbled upon untranslated pics with them so I was about to say that, but it seems like they're all in the Magi wiki (in every character's page), so I guess we're lucky there!

retcon: Masrur has 2/5 technique, I mean I guess I can see it, but whoa (4/5 fighting ability too, he's weaker than i thought)

Cool, I'll check out the wiki then.

Akito

Emma v2
Thing were going much faster than I initially expected, especially after the slow first volume. Emma and Williams had a proper date and are fully aware of each other's feelings and their relationship is not even a secret to Williams' family anymore but FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU at the end, worst timing ever.

Maedhros

Magi

WTF is this shit? Status? I mean, really? Are these official or just something out of some fan desilusional, wet dream? It seems so strange for Magi to actually have ranks of power like Dragon Ball or some other battle shonens...

dumbyugi

Thank you as well, of those the only one I recognize besides Shaman King is Buso Renkin which I know is from the author of Ruroni Kenshin.

Even though both of those series were cancelled they are also both did get an ending. Shaman King came back years later and got a few more volumes to properly finish and Busou Renkin got an extra long final chapter in Monthly Jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom