• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurita

Halfway through the first volume of Silver Spoon. Loving everything so far. The characters, the setting... And it's hilarious.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't know what he's smoking for Ryushika Ryushika, then, because I did not peg that as drawn by the same dude who did Lain.

I think he only did the character art for Lain? Even though he's been credited so much for the show.

Meanwhile for haibane Renmei he was a lot more involved, doing the story, scenarios and character design.

I can totally see how the person who wrote haibane renmei could write something like ryushika ryushika.

Also he's one of my favourite artists so don't talk shit man. I will fight you. :p

Jintor

Sparring match! Chinese Northern Shaolin v Japanese Karate! Admittedly I've yet to read Haibane Renmei so idk. But seriously come at me bro, we'll sort out our tiers lists THROUGH FORCE

I absolutely adore the Ryushika imagination scenes though. Yotsuba is all about finding the beauty in the mundanity of life (well, that's how I see it, anyway) but Ryushika is more about this girl's wild and vivid imagination. It's very charming.

They should team up and fight crime or something.

Antiwhippy

I use to study aikido and wushu so come at me. Though granted I'm pretty damn rusty at the moment.

Also haibane renmei is an anime, though there's a bunch of doujinshi that abe did before the anime happened and expanded to a full complete story.

Yeah, the imagination parts are what I love about ryushika ryushika.

Jintor

I should really look into doing martial arts again once I move out of home :-/ Feel so unfit now even with a regular running schedule... I used to do Taekwando as well, but that was just high school stuff...

Antiwhippy

Yeah, I feel pretty much the same. Thinking of taking up juijitsu.

Sun ken Rock 117

I don't even know why Ban Phuong want to fight ken anymore.

Torikago Syndrome 2
tumblr_mibfelbgHB1qbxqfpo1_500.jpg

I guess quickly becoming one of my favorite shoujo of sorts. The game for this academy, accomplishing random tasks that carry some sort of danger to increase your rank in this school to end up earning freedom feels like a unique concept. Ayase trying to get through it through alternative means, the Oscar, the king being a bully, and Light, our savoir, are all interesting personalities. Mark feels the weakest among the cast, but he and Ayase to team up would be good. Though still, would want Light and Ayase.

Good color page and art direction for the characters.

TWGOK

This chapter was saved by tits, ass and panties. Again.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just that this is not what this manga was about. Now it's turning into Super Interesting, or what?

I think this is becoming my weekly F- manga.

Akito

Joshikousei Kagishi Saki v1-2 (end)

Saki is a girl blessed with the ability to open any kind of locks and she puts it to use when someone asks for it, it could be the police or even the yakuza. Needless to say that things tend to get a little out of hand. Short and mildly entertaining story with decent art and amusing albeit stereotyped characters, nothing outstanding here. I also had the feeling that the story was constructed to last a little longer but got cut short for whatever reason.

MCD

Medaka Box

I had to skip the horrible Medaka hunt test arc.

Is a miracle they didn't cancel this manga yet.

Tizoc

Naruto 608
Guess Obito doesn't care why Kakashi killed Rin anymore,which is all good. I'd say Obito and Madara are the best Uchihas tho lol.
I can get that the Rin'negan is the final form of the Sharingan, but Madara having given it to Nagato at a young age just sounds...shoehorned.
Which brings me to the next question, why did Obito reveal himself with the Tobi persona then switch to a more rutherless persona later on?

Moosichu

Death Note

Just blitzed through all of it. Enjoyed it a lot and some of the plans unraveling were quite cool. The second half of it with Near and Mellow really slowed it down though imo.

Fairy Tail

Enjoyed it a lot. On one hand I like the fact this manga series doesn't gimp female characters in terms of strength, on the other the levels of fan-service are a bit extreme. (Though you could argue it goes both ways with Grey undressing all over the place :p )
The plot also advanced quite rapidly and I still have no idea where its heading (in a good way.)

I'm interested in Zeref as a character though, the motivations are so unclear at the moment and too much is hidden.

Naruto 608
Guess Obito doesn't care why Kakashi killed Rin anymore,which is all good. I'd say Obito and Madara are the best Uchihas tho lol.
I can get that the Rin'negan is the final form of the Sharingan, but Madara having given it to Nagato at a young age just sounds...shoehorned.
Which brings me to the next question, why did Obito reveal himself with the Tobi persona then switch to a more rutherless persona later on?
Maybe it was the zetsu clone at times, taking control of his body while he refuses to give a shit.

Tizoc

Naruto 614-615
NEJIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!
WHY YOU GOTTA KILL HIM, KISHIMOTO, WHY?!!?!? HE BARELY HAD DID ANYTHING AFTER THIS DAMN TIME SKIP AND NOW YOU GET RID OF HIM?!
They're all gonna be revived after Sasuke's defeated and he uses the 'revive people jutsu' huh?

EDIT: Well that's as far as I've read so far. Worth catching up now or should I wait a while for the manga to end first?

Sun-ken Rock 1-5

I expect that most of you know this already, but this manga is fantastic.

The story is about Ken Kitano, a young Japanese delinquent, who moves from Japan to South Korea, to follow the girl he loves. But in an non-stalker and non-molester way. While she achieved her goal and became a police woman, Ken ended up unemployed and lived for about a year in a tiny 1-room apartment as a shut-in. Then, one night, Ken clashes with a Korean underground gang and things start to get serious ...

bVnm8Sy.jpg

OR SO I THOUGHT!

9l6buIz.jpg

This manga, damnit. It switches from a total serious and badass tone in an awesome double spread panel to some absolute comedy style in the most unexpected moment and within one panel. While I'd say the fighting and character art is pretty well done, you can see that the backgrounds are mostly just brushed and traced photographs. Not a bad thing per se, but I'm not a fan of it.

Kurita

It's ok. It does feel very weighed down by Black's gimmick and White's job or whatever. But, it looks like it finally switches it up later on so I look forward to whenever those volumes get released.
I need to continue reading it.
Not as good as the Gold/Silver arc but still good.

upandaway

I need to continue reading it.
Not as good as the Gold/Silver arc but still good.
Are we talking about Adventures? It's counter-intuitive but I liked RS the most. RBG was pretty amazing too.

I should get back into it.. how does the manga work now? I was so confused by the parallel arcs going at the same time in different magazines, I had to back off and come back to it later with a clear head. If it's still doing that nonsense I'll have to come up with a battle plan.

Are we talking about Adventures? It's counter-intuitive but I liked RS the most. RBG was pretty amazing too.

I should get back into it.. how does the manga work now? I was so confused by the parallel arcs going at the same time in different magazines, I had to back off and come back to it later with a clear head. If it's still doing that nonsense I'll have to come up with a battle plan.

Well basically each magazine runs their own arc based off a set of games. They are their own story with their own set of characters and there are little crossovers between them if any.

It only gets confusing when you toss in the remakes as they have their own story as well but are just the sequels to the original games arcs.. For example Heart Gold/Soul Silver just finished their arc in Japan and it is just the sequel to the Gold/Silver arcs.

Fairy Tail

Enjoyed it a lot. On one hand I like the fact this manga series doesn't gimp female characters in terms of strength, on the other the levels of fan-service are a bit extreme. (Though you could argue it goes both ways with Grey undressing all over the place :p )
The plot also advanced quite rapidly and I still have no idea where its heading (in a good way.)

I'm interested in Zeref as a character though, the motivations are so unclear at the moment and too much is hidden.

I'd call the bathing suit contests a strenght gimp somehow.

Atredeus

Neo Member
I have never seen a battle manga that is so as incredibly formulaic as Samurai Deeper Kyo*. So much so that it's rather offensive to me.

The battles, especially, are incredibly stale and follow the exact same formula over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. For example, I lost count on how many "HE SUDDENLY DISAPPEARS AND SUDDENLY REAPPEARS AT THE BACK TO ATTACK" the author pulled off.

kIE4ctN.jpg

Glad to see Kenshin is so different from Kyo, guiz.

scy

Glad to see Kenshin is so different from Kyo, guiz.

Kyo literally did it every fight.

I enjoyed Kyo, don't get me wrong, but it was very much a lot of lethal injuries leading to power-ups into surviving their wounds somehow. It was enjoyable just because of how ridiculous the fights got and the variety of abilities.

I said earlier and stand by that the Kyoto arc was the worst part of Kenshin. It forgot half way through that as a series kenshins strength is the struggle of the main protagonist to remain the ruroni instead of falling back into the ways of the burosai. Instead it just because a bunch of standard shonen fights which while really well done and enjoyable just aren't as good. Best arc is the step brother arc because it did a good balance of shonen fights while confronting the past kenshin so desperately wanted to bury

Medaka Box

I've been catching up the last few chapters and I don't know what's going on anymore except for the fact I'm constantly getting trolled.

AKB49 111-113

The Yoshinaga stuff is so lame. But then chapter 113 gave us AURA FROM YOUR NOSTRILS!

Is not that bad but since we didn't get much Okabe it makes it more lame.

We want Okabe back!

I said earlier and stand by that the Kyoto arc was the worst part of Kenshin. It forgot half way through that as a series kenshins strength is the struggle of the main protagonist to remain the ruroni instead of falling back into the ways of the burosai. Instead it just because a bunch of standard shonen fights which while really well done and enjoyable just aren't as good. Best arc is the step brother arc because it did a good balance of shonen fights while confronting the past kenshin so desperately wanted to bury

Kyoto has Saito Hajime vs Usui though, which is my favorite fight in the series.

Also, Hiko Seijuro who could probably kill Shishio in one hit.

upandaway

Onepunch-man

That ended way too soon :( but oh well.

Genos is really endearing when he tries so hard to look cool, haha. I need Saitama to pat him on the head and tell him he looked really cool there!

Also, don't get me wrong here, I love the animation spreads, but.. every chapter is a bit... y'know. Especially when it means we're getting half-chapters like this one.

Kurita

Onepunch-man

That ended way too soon :( but oh well.

Genos is really endearing when he tries so hard to look cool, haha. I need Saitama to pat him on the head and tell him he looked really cool there!

Also, don't get me wrong here, I love the animation spreads, but.. every chapter is a bit... y'know. Especially when it means we're getting half-chapters like this one.

Genos is genuinely cool yo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom