• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

AC is full of Japanese word-play style jokes. It's why every chapter has translation notes at the end. Gag manga are difficult to translate well plus they probably don't sell well enough in the US.
But there's a difference between the sneakier jokes that can't be literally translated and the jokes that actually had to do with the series being popular slash good. And even if I do admit that the untranslatable puns are integral to the quality of AC (we have no proof against it, but c'mon), it's not like if you remove their emphasis the series suddenly sucks and no one wants to read it, and that's what I mean when I say I don't see what he's talking about. It's the "all or nothing" thing, man.

I mean I hope I'm not being too crazy here, tell me if I am. Because I'm kinda arguing alone here.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Real Clothes 6

Something about the message of how the fashion represents you rubs me the wrong way, but I kind of enjoy this look into a fashionista retail world.

dumbyugi

But there's a difference between the sneakier jokes that can't be literally translated and the jokes that actually had to do with the series being popular slash good. And even if I do admit that the untranslatable puns are integral to the quality of AC (we have no proof against it, but c'mon), it's not like if you remove their emphasis the series suddenly sucks and no one wants to read it, and that's what I mean when I say I don't see what he's talking about. It's the "all or nothing" thing, man.

I mean I hope I'm not being too crazy here, tell me if I am. Because I'm kinda arguing alone here.

You're not being crazy, I would love if this came out in english. The main problem is that some of the word-play is important to the story, Koro ensei's name is a pun that loses part of it's meaning if you just translate it to Kill sensei/teacher. Plus as I said these are really just excuses because gag manga simply don't sell well enough in the US. There are a few gag manga released but most of them have had an anime that was released in the US with some form of popularity, like Azumanga Daioh or Excel Saga.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Bleach

Scene cut away before clear and obvious death, I bet she survives. We still gotta see what that Bankai does. It'll have to be in an inevitable flashback to the founding days of the Gotei 13 or something between her and the Royal Guard guy who taught her healing, if she ends up actually kicking the bucket.

Her shikai can always just vomit on her.

Kenny can finally learn his sword is a little girl at least.

So my latest highdea is to read the scanlated chapter of Beelzebub which hasn't been released yet and then imagine that I'm a foreigner taking the English literally. It's pretty funny, try it in a bit.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Even without full context and understanding of the Japanese language which may result in puns and the like not transferred properly, Assassination Classroom is still superb.

I really like Koro-Sensei; haven't seen a character like him (or if I have, can't remember). I love the... roundness, of his face.

One Piece

azxroNE.png

So am I the only one who's freaked out by that random face in the middle there?

the best thing about this panel is Kinemon referring to his own son as "son of a.."

Kurita

Even without full context and understanding of the Japanese language which may result in puns and the like not transferred properly, Assassination Classroom is still superb.

I really like Koro-Sensei; haven't seen a character like him (or if I have, can't remember). I love the... roundness, of his face.

I agree, it's still really funny even when you don't get the puns.

You're not being crazy, I would love if this came out in english. The main problem is that some of the word-play is important to the story, Koro ensei's name is a pun that loses part of it's meaning if you just translate it to Kill sensei/teacher. Plus as I said these are really just excuses because gag manga simply don't sell well enough in the US. There are a few gag manga released but most of them have had an anime that was released in the US with some form of popularity, like Azumanga Daioh or Excel Saga.
Well I guess assassination classroom could be released by viz if tons of people request it, but I think most people are simply still voting and begging for series like medaka box, gintama to resume, beelzebub to come first and be added to the shonen jump lineup.

Antiwhippy

Beelzebub 193

So either a ruse or we start seeing demon power of friendship sharing nonsense. Which could be pretty cool.

Antiwhippy

Zenkichi box 183

Fuck yes zenkichi, that was boss as hell.

I can really see a everyone dies ending now though, which would be hilarious.

arkon

Maybe they're just not up for it after what happened with Gintama. They stopped publishing that after volume 23. AC doesn't have the same level of popularity I would say, so it's going to be an even harder sell.

Honestly, I would rather they resume Gintama than start up AC. Obviously we don't know if it's a case of one or the other, but if it was I would be going with Gintama every time. I haven't read enough of AC to be as enamoured with it as I am with Gintama

scy

Zenkichi Box 183 - And then they all died.

The End.

Edit: Though the panel on the professor means that he probably had some out that'll keep everyone alive.

Akito

Beelzebub
I almost expected a training arc for everyone once again but that'll work.

Medaka Box
The end is near.

Silver Spoon
Bloodline Limit of the Hachikens: Suffering

Stinky

Holy fuck this is one of the best manga I've ever read

Prison School

There are two things a manga can do that earn it a special place in my heart:

Be genuinely funny (Examples: Cromartie High School, Boku to Issho)

Beloved Hips, Andrei, when the glasses guy
shits himself, oh my god.
, and all the "gay" misunderstandings.
taking a dump mp3

Make me so excited at a devolopment/reveal that I feel like standing up and going OOOOOOH (examples: Boys on the Run when Tanishi's girlfriend finds him behind the door at the prostitutes house, Ciguatera when the MCs girlfriend finds out the old man totally deceived her)

When Kiysohi pees on the girl and the next page is piss streaming into a girl's mouth, but you find out on the next page its just a water fountain, fucking lol.
When Kiyoshi fell out of the tree and the whole page is just a girls bare ass. Wow
And of course the double spread of colour-inverted classroom with the guy in the back doing a big poo.

CHECK OUT THIS MANGA IF YOU HAVENT

upandaway

Zenkichi Box

Really? You're gonna bring back Fukurou NOW? Hahahaha wow. I really did not see that coming. What did he do?

Beelzebub

Oh wow. Did Beelzebub Part 2 start somewhere and I didn't notice? It sure seems like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom