• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One Piece

azxroNE.png

So am I the only one who's freaked out by that random face in the middle there?

No, but that face shows up a few times throughout the chapter. I assume it's Kaido's spies or something.

One Piece 699
tumblr_mij9lx86mu1s19rm2o4_400.jpg

Kind of a disappointing start to the chapter and overall as a whole. I was looking forward to a really big fight and beat down of either Aokiji or Doflamingo instead of, once again, a tepid showdown that is quite unmemorable. Really dull chapter too (even the animals thought it was a major snoozefest) as it feels unfocused as if trying to set Doflamingo as a final boss of the series instead of say Blackbeard, perhaps time ought to be spent on clarifying what Doflamingo is after and his true goals instead of leaving it to unclear speculation.

Oh well seeing Kidd's face again, and at least Traffy on the cover of the newspaper was definitely worth it and probably my favorite part of the whole chapter.

One Piece

Fun chapter, that kid face is hilarious.

I wonder what's Aokiji doing....

Bleach

Can I shit on this chapter or is "as bad as any other shonen!" argument to be made here?

Because fuck, I can't believe how you could have a half decent character like Unohana and broke it like that.

What's everyone's guesses?

I'm putting my money on Unohana.

Two-handed

Obviously....

Stinky

Is it pretty much 100% guaranteed Kenpachi has a shikai now?

I really am curious what it is going to be. If its something completely unrelated to him it would be lame.

I bet its something like growing two more hands to hold the sword four-handed. And then his bankai is the thing from the latest Naruto chapter.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

I really am curious what it is going to be. If its something completely unrelated to him it would be lame.

I bet its something like growing two more hands to hold the sword four-handed. And then his bankai is the thing from the latest Naruto chapter.

It'll be putting his back into it.

FYC

Banned
D. Gray-Man Vol. 4 (Chapters 27 - 36)

t4mUkhP.png

Enjoying the Vampire story so far, unfortunately ended on a bit cliffhanger. Bah!

Lavi is an awesome character. Great character design and fun personality, and a giant ass hammer to boot. I have to mention I really like how the author draws little easter eggs in the background, like Timcanpy smoking a cigarette with the Bookman. The comedy tickled my funny bone this volume most of the time as well. I realize now I am horrible at writing my thoughts out on manga.

I ordered up to Volume 16 just a few minutes ago, which ends around chapter 160. That's when the huge drop in quality happens, right? Regardless, I'm excited to read more, but for now, Trigun time!

Stinky

One of the reasons I really liked Kenpachi is that he didnt have a shikai.. He is like those old characters in manga (Whitebeard, Yamamoto) who are really strong but they used to be EVEN STRONGER in their prime. Zaraki has a massive handicap but he makes up for it by being even more broken than the main character.

His sword is ragged as fuck because he loves battling.. that is so cool.

The mangastream translation for One Piece was really bad. Like, worse than pandas. They screwed up both Donflamingo saying he was changing plans and Smoker saying he nearly died.

I thought like with Ichigo his spirit energy was so strong his sword was permanently in shikai form?

Stinky

I thought like with Ichigo his spirit energy was so strong his sword was permanently in shikai form?

You're right. I dont know why I thought he would have a unique shikai ability. He has a constant release like Ichigo.

We'll probably get a bankai and maybe another miscellaneous ability like being able to control so or so because his sword and him are best buds now.

GG-Duo

Great One Piece chapter - a little bit of action, plenty of imagination (Aokiji's peguin), lots of intrigue, and outrageous humor.

Cuticle Detective Inaba 1
tumblr_mgmpbzWeoN1r5x3w6o1_r1_400.gif

LOL The manga even had the cuticle dance, so great to see Nozaki Kei in action and this chapter was just really hilarious and crazy. Hope it continues to come in english as its just as awesome as the anime.

Don Metabolic and Nozaki Kei's punch were the best moments.

Bleach 527

And she's dead. Maybe it'll stick this time. But Byakuya "died" too, so who knows. Unsurprisingly, Renji won offscreen. Then it turned out Ichigo's training was a waste of time. Maybe he'll go back to his dad and find out about why he was part human/full bring/quincy. Maybe we'll even hear about Aizen. Hopefully Zaraki's zanpakuto is something fun.

Naruto 621

It's a flashback. Madara and the First Hokage fight. Madara used Susanoo as armor for Kurama. That's pretty smart. Harashima changed the trajectory and then the blast reached the other side of the river. This reminds him of the first time the two met. And then hey, it's Kannon Bodhisattva. Young Madara and young Harashima are laughable plotwise. It's an attempt to tie in the Naruto/Sasuke dynamic into the overarching story. All this is going to do is give doujin artists more material, Kishi.

One Piece 699

Doflamingo and Kuzan don't fight. But it's clear from his servants' expression that Kuzan could one-shot him if he wanted to. Doflamingo gave up his title quicker than I would have expect but, hey, it's moving the plot along. Onward with the hostage exchange.

So I been reading JoJo lately and I'm about to finish part 3.

So far I must say Battle Tendency is the best part so far, Part 3 drags like hell but I think it has great moments, mainly towards the end.

Big One

Banned
One Piece - B

Decent chapter, some lulz, prime example of what a good manga chapter is supposed to be.

Bleach - F

Awful chapter, nothing happens, lolnope moments and more training arc bullshit, prime example of what a good manga chapter isn't supposed to be.

Naruto - C

Decent so far but kind of slow paced. Interested in this development, but like most flashbacks in Naruto will lead to nothing most likely.

Am i the only one that was more excited bout the manga than PS4?

I mean the PS4 looked cool and had some unique features but nothing blew me away and made me go "wow I need to go out and buy this day 1". Very much like the Vita cool tech but no exclusive games that I want (Killzone and Infamous doesn't do it for me)

I mean the PS4 sounds cool and had some unique features but nothing blew me away and made me go "wow I need to go out and buy this day 1". Very much like the Vita cool tech but no exclusive games that I want (Killzone and Infamous doesn't do it for me)

fixed.

And as usual it will be a wait and see thing for me.

Where did you see the PS4?!

I mean the console box itself is pretty irrelevant in the end, unless the system is shaped like a giant dildo.

They had a semi-reveal today. They didn't show the console or price tag, but we got everything else. It's all on gaming side.

Nope. All very pretty, but no games I'd really want. Other than the cross-plats.

Yeah Watch_Dogs continues to be the only "next gen" game I'm excited for, and I'll be playing that on my WiiU. Honestly I don't expect to see any exclusive PS4/Nextbox only multiplat games for awhile simply due to how expensive they will be to develop and how easy it will be to downport them to 360/PS3/WiiU... heck I wouldn't be surprised if 3rd parties develop first for 360/PS3/WiiU and up-port to PS4/Nextbox

Am i the only one that was more excited bout the manga than PS4?

HAHAHAHAHA, I was just coming here to post this! I had more fun reading through the last few pages of this thread than I did for anything in that conference. :|

Naruto

So, what's the over under on chapters the First is done telling his tale? I'm thinking 10.

One Piece

It's almost kinda sad to see Momo just shit on Sanji's dreams like that. Almost.

Can't wait to see what happens next week.

GManDH

i think my point is that i dont care bout video games. didnt know micro unveiled theirs. ill stick to my comp games and pokemon!!!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah Watch_Dogs continues to be the only "next gen" game I'm excited for, and I'll be playing that on my WiiU. Honestly I don't expect to see any exclusive PS4/Nextbox only multiplat games for awhile simply due to how expensive they will be to develop and how easy it will be to downport them to 360/PS3/WiiU... heck I wouldn't be surprised if 3rd parties develop first for 360/PS3/WiiU and up-port to PS4/Nextbox

If the rumor that nextbox is going to be closer to WiiU than what people are expecting plays out then Sony will be the odd man out this gen.

That said, my money is on this Naruto flashback lasting about 15 chapters considering it's a flashback in a flashback. By the time it's over we'll have no idea what Naruto (or even the Sause) was even up to originally. That said it's more fun than what's going on in the present anyways.

Bleach

Wow what an ending to the battle. I doubt Unohana will die yet. I don't think Isane is ready to take over as 4th division captain. Kenpachi knowing his Zan's name is huge because his power will be even more like a monster. Ichigo was pwned and kicked out, ouch. Still it will lead to Isshin and Masaki's past which is what I'm really excited for now that Kenpachi has been taken care of by Unohana.

Naruto
Ehh the action was good but it was almost OP level messy. Kinda hard to read the flow of combat and the Susanoo + Kyuubi armor wasn't the best. Disappointed that Hashirama dived into childhood flashback when they should be finishing off the battle. I wonder if Hashirama and Madara kiss by accident like Sasuke and Naruto? lol

One Piece
lol Momo is a boss but very disappointed about Aokiji vs Don. Overall the end bit made up for it but an average chapter this week imo.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Jojo's bizaare adventure: Stardust crusaders: a long journey ends

Wait, eat it was in the same time period as this?

Dio vs jotaro was pretty freaking awesome, I gotta say.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Naruto

I wouldn't call it a "flashback within a flashback" really, it's more just that Hashirama is telling a story, and it'll probably jump all over the place timeline-wise.

Sure loved that Susano'o armor for the nine-nails though.

Bleach

Scene cut away before clear and obvious death, I bet she survives. We still gotta see what that Bankai does. It'll have to be in an inevitable flashback to the founding days of the Gotei 13 or something between her and the Royal Guard guy who taught her healing, if she ends up actually kicking the bucket.

One Piece

YOU STILL EXIST

[/URL]

I just want to say that I love GAF's new "who quoted me" feature. Yeah, I'm still here and still read every post. I usually only post nowadays unless there's something interesting to talk about. Posting weekly comments about a chapter gets kinda boring, especially if no one really pays attention to them.

Now I'm confident that you sometimes post those kinds of pics to mess with us. Kudos DTL, kudos.

I think that everyone goes through a phase of denial in regards to DTL before accepting that he is what he is.

One Piece:
Pretty awesome chapter. Interested to see where things go from here, with the Kidd alliance and Doflamingo's stuff. Aokiji was awesome, too. This had a good mix of plot revelations and funny character moments.

Naruto:
Who gives a shit?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/24840.html This interview with Jump editor Hisashi Sasaki brings up why Kuroko's Basketball, Assassination Classroom, Haikyuu, and PSI Kusuo Saiki won't be in US Jump. Censorship or translation issues, noting the difficulty of gag manga.

He also gives the official names for the latter two series. "High Kyuu!!" and "The Disaster of Psi Kusuo Saiki". Thought this part was interesting.

I still do want to see an official release of AssClass somehow.

Korosenai

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/24840.html This interview with Jump editor Hisashi Sasaki brings up why Kuroko's Basketball, Assassination Classroom, Haikyuu, and PSI Kusuo Saiki won't be in US Jump. Censorship or translation issues, noting the difficulty of gag manga.

He also gives the official names for the latter two series. "High Kyuu!!" and "The Disaster of Psi Kusuo Saiki". Thought this part was interesting.

I still do want to see an official release of AssClass somehow.

No Assassination Classroom in the US makes me sad. Does this also mean it won't get released in volumes here either?

upandaway

Toriko

Just as full force as before, pretty crazy stuff with Livebearer. We've seen both sides demolish the other side's bottom half dudes so it'll be nice to see the big guys actually fight now.

Assassination Classroom

The poker face killed me, haha. That was great. Still no clue what's going on but oh well.

I still don't get why AC can't be in WSJ US. What he said makes no sense for this series.

I just want to say that I love GAF's new "who quoted me" feature. Yeah, I'm still here and still read every post. I usually only post nowadays unless there's something interesting to talk about. Posting weekly comments about a chapter gets kinda boring, especially if no one really pays attention to them.
Aww but we do pay attention to them, not replying to impressions doesn't mean the opposite!
But it's nice to see you around either way.

Assassination Classroom 31

I still don't get why AC can't be in WSJ US. What he said makes no sense for this series.

For the simultaneous releases of Shonen Jump in English, we are thinking that we actively want to release new series from chapter one.

Probably too late now, anyway, and doesnt it occasionally have gags/refs/wordplay in there that are like lost in translation (just look at the notes they provide every single chapter for example),
tumblr_mijz5vx65d1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mijzd6uBBr1qbxqfpo1_500.png

as well as Psi Kusuo...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece

Momo is a player. He knows what he's doing and he enjoys it.
I liked Franky's little comment about how smoothly things were going and that it's really strange.
Chapter 700 next week. Milestone.

Toriko

In this universe, you can recover from getting chopped in half. Jeez.
So Chiru really is a girl. Shimabukuro seems to have a thing for women disguised/looking like men (Melk the 2nd comes to mind).

Assassination Classroom

Korosensei has legitimate non-comedy weaknesses after all. Interesting.
I have a strong feeling this is going to last the initial "year" he set to destroy the world.

As for why these four series won't show up in US Jump. AssClass and Kusuo Saiki are gag series, both with jokes that are difficult to translate into English, or references that wouldn't make sense at all.
As for Kuroko and High Kyuu, Viz thinks nobody likes sports manga. ... Granted they serialized Cross Manage but that series isn't doing so hot right now.

Nekoka Danshi no Shitsukekata 2
tumblr_mijzunUDwo1qbxqfpo1_250.png

Really enjoyed his modeling scene, though I dont understand how he is doing bad when he was pretty stunning there and what not, and he even has tons of fans. Potential for good scenes when emotional later in the series seems to be high thanks to the licking aspect introduced to stop the feline transformation stuff.

upandaway

As for why these four series won't show up in US Jump. AssClass and Kusuo Saiki are gag series, both with jokes that are difficult to translate into English, or references that wouldn't make sense at all.
I'm looking at this as hard as I can but I honestly don't see how this applies to AC. We're talking about the most popular new series Shueisha's had in years! "Too late" at chapter 31 or a bit of difficulty translating (which I still don't see but will put here anyway) seems a bit nonsensical to me.

Hell the references I've seen from AC are more western than any of Jump's other series.

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru 01-03

Started this up in preparations for the anime in two months and I love it. Does feel like another version of Hanagai expect I like the female protag and the male protag actively hates on the world.

I'm all ready for the anime now.

dumbyugi

I'm looking at this as hard as I can but I honestly don't see how this applies to AC. We're talking about the most popular new series Shueisha's had in years! "Too late" at chapter 31 or a bit of difficulty translating (which I still don't see but will put here anyway) seems a bit nonsensical to me.

Hell the references I've seen from AC are more western than any of Jump's other series.

AC is full of Japanese word-play style jokes. It's why every chapter has translation notes at the end. Gag manga are difficult to translate well plus they probably don't sell well enough in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom