• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 3

This one took me a while to go through as I just read it in chunks randomly. It really was stand of the week over and over again until they finally got to Dio and shit just got real. This series is really at it's best when Dio is around. I'm sad to see him finally dead though unless that blood transfusion does something in the future...which at this point wouldn't shock me.

Jotaro as the protagonist rates just under young Joseph now. He wasn't as cool as Joseph but him never really losing his cool and just coming off as cocky was pretty awesome.

As I said the final battle with Dio was pretty awesome. The steamroller was fantastic.

Anyways onto part 4, it's at this point onwards I know nothing about the series other then pictures I've seen. Oh and I think a stand in this part is confusing as fuck or something?

Ratings as it goes forward:

Series: Part 2 > Part 3 > Part 1

Main character: Joseph > Jotaro > Jonathan

Biggest and truest bros: Speedwagon

Yep.

Jotaro is alright but he just doesn't have that bombastic swagger like Young Joseph so he loses to him on that account.

Watch out for the crappy translations for Part 4 which are apparently still not remedied yet :(

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I just watched Caesar die today so no, Speedwagon is not the truest bro.

You wouldn't understand, you are not a gentleman.

Yep.

Jotaro is alright but he just doesn't have that bombastic swagger like Young Joseph so he loses to him on that account.

Watch out for the crappy translations for Part 4 which are apparently still not remedied yet :(

Yeah I'm a few chapters in and already struggling with these translations.

Josdar family.

TokiDoki

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure part 3

This one took me a while to go through as I just read it in chunks randomly. It really was stand of the week over and over again until they finally got to Dio and shit just got real. This series is really at it's best when Dio is around. I'm sad to see him finally dead though unless that blood transfusion does something in the future...which at this point wouldn't shock me.

Jotaro as the protagonist rates just under young Joseph now. He wasn't as cool as Joseph but him never really losing his cool and just coming off as cocky was pretty awesome.

As I said the final battle with Dio was pretty awesome. The steamroller was fantastic.

Anyways onto part 4, it's at this point onwards I know nothing about the series other then pictures I've seen. Oh and I think a stand in this part is confusing as fuck or something?

Ratings as it goes forward:

Series: Part 2 > Part 3 > Part 1

Main character: Joseph > Jotaro > Jonathan

Biggest and truest bros: Speedwagon

The final battle is probably the best fight in shonen manga ever IMO that I had the Japanese Manga Vol.28 just for that .
Stopping and starting heartbeat with stand ? faking the ability to move in time with magnet ?
So so cool . And yes , the steamroller . That fight alone overshadow the other fights in Part 3 , but they were still great .

VS Granma Enya (emperor stand)
VS J.Geil (Hangman)
VS Yellow Temperance
VS Anubis
VS Vanilla Ice
VS D'arby brothers

all were very very good fights . Jojo fights were always the best because its about outwitting the opponents and not about bullshit "friend spirit" powerups . I've read Part 1 to Part 5 at least 3 times and to me , Part 3 is still the best .

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I just watched Caesar die today so no, Speedwagon is not the truest bro.

You wouldn't understand, you are not a gentleman.

Yep.

Yeah I'm a few chapters in and already struggling with these translations.

Josdar family.

Houkago x Ponytail 1-6 (END)

Trying to build up my tolerance of shoujo a bit more. This was a short 'n' sweet little romance between a manga-obsessed girl and a mangaka. First half was more entertaining than the misunderstanding ridden second half, but overall I consider it a successful experiment.

Ume-chan's Friends (oneshot)
48397350tccok.jpg
Katteni Kaizo is now added to my backlog.

Shokugeki no Soma 12
tumblr_miqpd90k9a1qbxqfpo1_500.png

I cant wait for the expressions and spectators comments when Soma wins with such economically priced foods. I guess its the preparation and sides that make the food and not the A5 quality itself. Though the way the food Mikumi prepares was being described made me so hungry during the chapter, and how it looked and stuff, really well done. Soma's meat must look and taste super good though, I want. Cause when the slight smell came...

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Honestly, I can't think of a bad fight in Jojo.
They're all littered with strategy, table turners, surprises, brutality, unique powers, and victories that actually make sense. Basically, everything you want from a fight. No wonder the series basically turned into "Stand of the Week" when Araki is so good at writing them. I think my favourite would probably be Passione vs Prosciutto and Pesci.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
PSA: Food Smut is WRONG.

1) You do not brown meat in butter.

Butter's smoking point is only around 200-300F. The Maillard reaction (the "browning" that comes from food caramelizing) happens at >300F. By the time your pan gets hot enough to brown the meat the moment it's set into the pan, the butter's chemical composition is already changing and gaining bitter flavors from exceeding its smoking point. Use other vegetable oils, but don't use butter. Only use butter toward the end of cooking to baste your meat, along with any aromatics you might have.

2) Searing does not seal in juices.

Kenji Lopez-Alt said:
This is the oldest one in the book, and still gets repeated—by many highly respected cookbook authors and chefs!—to this day. It's been conclusively proven false many times, including in our own post on How to Cook a Perfect Prime Rib, where we found that when roasting a standing roast, it in fact lost 1.68% more juice if it was seared before roasting rather than after! The same is true for pork roasts, steaks, hamburgers, chicken cutlets, you name it.

On the other hand, searing does improve flavor by catalyzing the Maillard browning reactions, a series of chemical reactions that rapidly take place when proteins and sugars are heated to around 300°F or so, improving the flavor and texture of the dish. But in almost all cases, it's better to sear the food after it's roasted, not at the start.

NomarTyme

Butter's smoking point is only around 200-300F. The Maillard reaction (the "browning" that comes from food caramelizing) happens at >300F. By the time your pan gets hot enough to brown the meat the moment it's set into the pan, the butter's chemical composition is already changing and gaining bitter flavors from exceeding its smoking point. Use other vegetable oils, but don't use butter. Only use butter toward the end of cooking to baste your meat, along with any aromatics you might have.

I suggest using ghee.

upandaway

Hahaha okay. I do expect her to make at least one mistake that will cause her loss, but I doubt this is it!

Did you research this or are you a secret cooking guru?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hahaha okay. I do expect her to make at least one mistake that will cause her loss, but I doubt this is it!

Did you research this or are you a secret cooking guru?

I just do a lot of reading on cooking, I'm no match for IronGAF's seasoned veterans.

SappYoda

Bartender: Saving the world one glass at a time.

This manga sure feels fresh. It's a simple feel good manga. I'm really liking it.

Is it your plan to have all books be day and date digital?

Yes, we made that conscious decision that we wanted to do day and date print and digital. Sometimes we do releases digital-only where we don’t have the book rights, as with Nisekoi. The demand for that was so high, we are going back to negotiate the print rights.

Where exactly does Nisekoi have high demand in the US? Is it worth them fighting for the book rights? People here make it sound like it's pretty ehh

Where exactly does Nisekoi have high demand in the US? Is it worth them fighting for the book rights? People here make it sound like it's pretty ehh

Their doing that huge popularity poll for it, it must be getting tons of votes each week in their weekly poll, I guess, even I vote for it occasionally, and I guess its v1 sales digitally must be high, and on their site, their Nisekoi posts have "huge" numbers of facebook likes, so I can only assume its really popular to us readers. Oh and those occasional comments of people begging for it, claiming its the perfect mix of shonen and shoujo concepts, and its amazing etc. etc. etc.

Kurita

"Huge" in the US doesn't really mean high numbers.

Still don't get how manga sales can be this low with 300 millions people in the country.

upandaway

It's been a while since there's been such a mainstream-isized romcom in Jump that lasted so long. People are probably looking at it with the same eyes as Ichigo 100% and all those stuff, purely due to no competition (and those kinds of manga were pretty popular).

And it's not that bad, it's just... obvious.

Actually It Kind Of Is My Fault That My Friend's Not Popular 2

4koma format almost inevitably means this'll be less cringeworthy and more comedic than the original. Not that I mind.

Hinatama 6
tumblr_miqxu8G9XA1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Really touching chapter by the end, I didnt think Hayato was the type to feel that bad about taking his anger out on Ayato the previous chapter, but to think about it the whole chapter, and then feel all bad to even think back to his own childhood. So glad they made up and got closer. Easily becoming my favorite josei.

Saiyaku wa Boku o Suki Sugiru 10

Misfortune averted successfully, though they actually did take the bullet last chapter but thanks to that thermos. Like how Ichiyou and Kagura are drawing closer, writer almost made them kiss even, it seemed, though Kagura still keeping distance. Maybe progress can be made in the next four misfortunes.

Tales of the Abyss 09-19

We see the many stages of Luke:

Whiny Luke
Assbassador Luke
Emo Luke

Have you read the Asch manga that was released with the special edition of Volume 1 and 2 of the DVD? They were actually a lot better then I was expecting, check em out if you haven't.

Sawattemo Ii kana 1

A good and intriguing start so far surrounding that concept. The two brothers are pretty alright and hope we continue to follow them along as Tetsu tries to get Yuuji to fall for him. For Shirou and Masami, hope they dont fall apart. Seemed the writer made Shirou suffer from something to which he is extremely afraid and over sensitive of seeing his brother and friend like that and overpanicking. Wonder how he will recover.

Good color page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom