• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
New OP cover

iHlR6ZKf1xmm1.jpg

A little too busy even by OP's standards

hahaha, part of the logo got cut in half by law

whats with the little blue haired girl/boy to the right of Zoro?

duckroll

One Piece Film Z

Just got back from the movie. It was so fucking good. I enjoyed Strong World despite the somewhat weak script and the weakass overhyped villain mostly because of the animation and the art. But Z not only corrects all the problems I had with Strong World, but surpasses it in every single way. Great direction, amazing music, solid villain, outstanding cameos, and fight after fight after fight TO DIE FOR.

The difference between Z and Strong World is that while Strong World felt like an average filler-tier side story with movie-tier production values and a really great cinematic touch in the opening and ending set pieces, Z is a ONE PIECE MOVIE from start to end. There are no leisurely scenes of the crew getting to a village in a new island and just chilling, and there's a lot less of the usual slow build up to a single climatic fight. Instead the entire movie is high kinetic action and major dramatic beats bridged by scene after scene of stuff which any One Piece fan would love to see.

Instead of introducing completely new characters and framing a film around the main characters interacting with them, this movie creates a very compelling original character, and then frames the movie around both Luffy's crew and all the Marine characters reacting to this character as a major event. It makes it much more exciting, and the stakes feel great.

I enjoyed the story, was blown away by the art and animation, and the direction is fucking amazing. The action in particular is really exciting and thrilling to way. Everything feels so fast, and yet there's tons of impact. The ending was pretty surprising too. I didn't expect it, but it was done really well. If Oda is going to keep improving on each movie he produces, I can't fucking wait for the next one.

Animation - AA+
Music - A+
Direction - AAA+
Story - A+
Overall - One Piece Anime of the Forever

One Piece Film Z

Just got back from the movie. It was so fucking good. I enjoyed Strong World despite the somewhat weak script and the weakass overhyped villain mostly because of the animation and the art. But Z not only corrects all the problems I had with Strong World, but surpasses it in every single way. Great direction, amazing music, solid villain, outstanding cameos, and fight after fight after fight TO DIE FOR.

The difference between Z and Strong World is that while Strong World felt like an average filler-tier side story with movie-tier production values and a really great cinematic touch in the opening and ending set pieces, Z is a ONE PIECE MOVIE from start to end. There are no leisurely scenes of the crew getting to a village in a new island and just chilling, and there's a lot less of the usual slow build up to a single climatic fight. Instead the entire movie is high kinetic action and major dramatic beats bridged by scene after scene of stuff which any One Piece fan would love to see.

Instead of introducing completely new characters and framing a film around the main characters interacting with them, this movie creates a very compelling original character, and then frames the movie around both Luffy's crew and all the Marine characters reacting to this character as a major event. It makes it much more exciting, and the stakes feel great.

I enjoyed the story, was blown away by the art and animation, and the direction is fucking amazing. The action in particular is really exciting and thrilling to way. Everything feels so fast, and yet there's tons of impact. The ending was pretty surprising too. I didn't expect it, but it was done really well. If Oda is going to keep improving on each movie he produces, I can't fucking wait for the next one.

Animation - AA+
Music - A+
Direction - AAA+
Story - A+
My hype level is now off the chartsss

Akito

One Piece Film Z

Animation - AA+
Music - A+
Direction - AAA+
Story - A+
The hype is strong with this one
Now the waiting for the disc release will be more painful, thanks duckroll

One Piece Film Z

Animation - AA+
Music - A+
Direction - AAA+
Story - A+

Well, now I really really need to see this.

duckroll

Remember how Strong World opened with
Shiki fucking up the entire Marine HQ fleet with his stupid floating powers, and you kinda wonder why there wasn't some high level Marine there to at least try to stop him?

Well in Z, the movie opens with
Z and his two subordinates fucking up an army of marines to steal the Dyna Stones, and it ends with Z fighting Kizaru one on one until Z blows the ENTIRE island up.

Yeah. :D

One Piece Film Z

Animation - AA+
Music - A+
Direction - AAA+
Story - A+

I was trying to forget this was already out :( Now my hype level is even higher

Magi

I did not like this chapter. It´s way too easy of a solution. At least Mu will get serious. And i wonder if Alibaba will interfere to stop the fighting.

Remember how Strong World opened with
Shiki fucking up the entire Marine HQ fleet with his stupid floating powers, and you kinda wonder why there wasn't some high level Marine there to at least try to stop him?

Well in Z, the movie opens with
Z and his two subordinates fucking up an army of marines to steal the Dyna Stones, and it ends with Z fighting Kizaru one on one until Z blows the ENTIRE island up.

Yeah. :D
Damn, that looks interesting.

After volume 2? Join the club and good luck with that. I've been waiting 3 years for volume 3 now.

Depends on country I guess. (I can't make out what country that edition is from) In Japan things have been pretty steady (11 vols+) but in North America Del Rey threw in the towel so anything past vol 2 has been forever canned. (Kodansha has a US arm now but for a long time it was an embarassment.)

Stinky

That OP cover is incredible. love the colour and the juxtaposition.

I thought Oda was making his recent covers too busy - some of them looked pretty bad. But this one managed to pull it off. to a tee.

One of my favourite covers was volume 59, during the war:

Stinky

There is an article on just the 20 best selling Shonen Jump manga. (though it links to something in late 2012, that I dont think no one mentioned before).

Didnt know Dragonball was #1 worldwide. I wonder when (or if?) One Piece will catch up. Its got like 30 more volumes! Step up your game, Oda. (Yeah, yeah I know, its because of One piece vs. Dragonball's appeal in western countries)

Kochikame is so weird to me, because its this huge manga in Japan, longest running series ever, but there isn't scanlations or english prints of it as far as I'm aware. Its this national treasure that nobody outside of Japan really cares about.

Kurita

Well, One Piece will catch up, it just needs 5 or 6 years to have be number 1 if we look at its yearly sales.
Kochikame wouldn't appeal to non-Japanese I think since it's heavily influenced by the pop culture and the society.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Rage Town

So last week it looked like something would happen, but it didn't. Nothing fucking happens in this manga! NOTHING! Why the FUCK do I read it?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
WSJ US TOC for 2/25/13

One Piece
Toriko
Naruto
Nisekoi
Bleach
World Trigger
Cross Manage
One Punch Man
Dragon Ball
Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal

Previews for next week: Blue Exorcist and Rurouni Kenshin: Restoration.

Alyosha 1-33

Neat series about a foreign girl from a third world country that was raised as a top assassin trying to become an ordinary high school girl. Lots of comedy, but even more action and drama.

There's also a couple of crazy American/British otaku culture fans. I imagine animegaf could get mileage out of this page.

Akito

Rage Town

So last week it looked like something would happen, but it didn't. Nothing fucking happens in this manga! NOTHING! Why the FUCK do I read it?
I decided to drop it after this week's chapter, raging about nothing happening can only get you this far. I might be back if something relevant, read rage-inducing, happens again. Yes, it's late but not too late.

I decided to drop it after this week's chapter, raging about nothing happening can only get you this far. I might be back if something relevant, read rage-inducing, happens again. Yes, it's late but not too late.

You'll be back. They all come back. There's no escape from Rage Town.

Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome 09

Messy in storytelling, but eh, doesn't take that long to get caught back up. I did laugh at that last page though.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
KNIM

I can't believe nothing happened. Actually. Nvm. lol. Can anyone tell me when was the last time something actually happened?

duckroll

Magi - Latest chapters

After catching up on One Piece and getting on a One Piece high, it's kinda hard to enjoy this as much as I should. It's still fairly interesting, but I think my shounen barometer is kinda broken at the moment. :(

Magi - Latest chapters

After catching up on One Piece and getting on a One Piece high, it's kinda hard to enjoy this as much as I should. It's still fairly interesting, but I think my shounen barometer is kinda broken at the moment. :(
The same thing happened to me the first time I caught up with one piece, I couldnt enjoy any other shounen fora while after.

Kusagari

What?! Dude, that's a massive spoiler for something like KNIM! I can't imagine how awkward that must've been. Now I really feel like catching up ... :lol

It actually wasn't that awkward.

And ever since then they have sex all the time and there's more fan service.

That's all that has "happened" since besides more Haruto misunderstandings with other girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom