• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
animepaper.net_picture_standard_anime_world_embryo_youhei_(world_embryo)_169745_yuukine_medium-94e4b5b0.jpg

World Embryo 1-8

This is really good so far. Interested in the story and about the whole being infected by the cell phone thing. Main character seems likable, the caretaker is funny, and the little girl(?) is absolutely adorable. The best friend seems like such a nice guy and his woman friend is tolerable but she does seem to kinda be denying her feelings for him.

Question for anyone else reading this but will there be a lot of deaths of named characters in this manga? Seems like there's going to be alot of blood so I want to know if I shouldn't get attached to some of them like in Akame ga Kiru.

Don't really want any spoilers please.

dramatis

It's a strange coincidence that the first time I've heard of Sakamoto desu ga was just yesterday, but then again it was because I was looking at the Oricon charts and the first volume was on sale like 2 weeks ago. The title sounded strange at the time but it looks quite interesting.

Still waiting for a volume of Tsukikage Baby to come out though.

Big 3 Good versions

Some of the jokes in Bleach like the shinny boobs made a lot more sense and as a whole the chapter was funnier for it. One Piece made the action much easier to follow once the old man showed up (he's for sure the new admiral). Naruto was basically the same.

Wiseblade

Hey, you ever seen Ratatouille? You know that scene at the end where they serve the food critic that simple meal (I forget the name of it) and it's so delicious that it transports him back to his childhood? I bet it would be fun to read that over and over again, except instead of an old French man, it's scantily clad Japanese schoolgirls.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hey, you ever seen Ratatouille? You know that seen at the end where they serve the food that simple meal (I forget the name of it) and it's so delicious that it transports him back to his childhood? I bet it would be fun to read that over and over again, except instead of an ol French man, it's scantily clad Japanese schoolgirls.

This sounds amazing and I wish there was a manga like this featuring cooking showdowns in the vein of Yakitate Japan.

Hey, you ever seen Ratatouille? You know that scene at the end where they serve the food critic that simple meal (I forget the name of it) and it's so delicious that it transports him back to his childhood? I bet it would be fun to read that over and over again, except instead of an old French man, it's scantily clad Japanese schoolgirls.

And instead of reliving their childhood they orgasm and we see NSFW pics, man that would be the life

Big One

Banned
Just some passing thoughts on Berserk, without spoiling too much for new readers.

Berserk used to be a big part of my teenagehood, basically my babysfirstseinen manga gateway into other manga series out there. Because of this, it'll always have some special place in my heart as a solid favorite, no matter what direction the series takes itself.

Without the nostalgia glasses on, I still think Berserk has some of the best art a manga can possibly offer and the Golden Age Arc is still amazing and one of the best stories of it's decade.

Berserk gets sidetracked after that, but it's still pretty much on the level of quality you'd expect it to be despite going in a different direction than the Golden Age Arc.

In recent years, a lot of people say Berserk has dropped in quality, but I think it has more to do with the release schedule more than anything. Berserk hasn't been as good as the Golden Age arc since the introduction of the Retribution arc, so that'll probably never really change until the series actually gets some closure on the Guts/Casca/Griffith arc at the end of the series.

Despite all of this, it's still a good manga, just for the fact that Guts actually develops in almost every chapter he's in as a character, which adds a lot of layers that a manga like Berserk doesn't really quite deserve.

Great series and definitely worth reading, if you're ok with making Berserk a lifetime experience.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Just some passing thoughts on Berserk, without spoiling too much for new readers.

Berserk used to be a big part of my teenagehood, basically my babysfirstseinen manga gateway into other manga series out there. Because of this, it'll always have some special place in my heart as a solid favorite, no matter what direction the series takes itself.

Without the nostalgia glasses on, I still think Berserk has some of the best art a manga can possibly offer and the Golden Age Arc is still amazing and one of the best stories of it's decade.

Berserk gets sidetracked after that, but it's still pretty much on the level of quality you'd expect it to be despite going in a different direction than the Golden Age Arc.

In recent years, a lot of people say Berserk has dropped in quality, but I think it has more to do with the release schedule more than anything. Berserk hasn't been as good as the Golden Age arc since the introduction of the Retribution arc, so that'll probably never really change until the series actually gets some closure on the Guts/Casca/Griffith arc at the end of the series.

Despite all of this, it's still a good manga, just for the fact that Guts actually develops in almost every chapter he's in as a character, which adds a lot of layers that a manga like Berserk doesn't really quite deserve.

Great series and definitely worth reading, if you're ok with making Berserk a lifetime experience.
You forgot "Naruto F"

The movie had made me want to check out the series, cause Griffith was pretty awesome character all the way through and Guts.
tumblr_mebpd796cj1rd1sxzo1_500.png
tumblr_mebpd796cj1rd1sxzo3_500.png

But I was always afraid the source material would be super gorey and etc. Guess, Ill eventually read it some time, or once the movies are done being made.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think of all the series I've read in full, I am the most aggravated by Claymore. I don't even know what's supposed to be going on.

5 centimeters per second(manga): Chapters 1-3
Rereading it but this time in English. I remember not liking it as much as the movie before but now, I'm really enjoying the first 3 chapters. Never heard of the publisher Vertical but I think they did a good job with it so far. Can't wait to read Kanae's part.

I really hope Kinokuniya gets copy of The Girl by the Sea vol. 2 already. I need that conclusion to the series!

One Piece 701

A new island and it was quite a mess in everything going on.

While it is a new arc I guess, definitely doesn't feel like it, but more of an extension of the past one which is pretty cool.

Whatever, One Piece Musou 2 time!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece 701

A new island and it was quite a mess in everything going on.

While it is a new arc I guess, definitely doesn't feel like it, but more of an extension of the past one which is pretty cool.

Whatever, One Piece Musou 2 time!

To be fair, a number of One Piece arcs were like that. Alabasta was the finale lead up from three previous arcs. Enies Lobby was a massive extension to Water Seven.

Lain

Superinteresting Darkness volume 1
0qm.jpg

Superinteresting indeed! The harem plan is more funny than anything, especially considering that the person this plan revolves around is Rito.
As usual, great character art, nipples everywhere and also sexy looking feet.

PK Gaming

Wait...

That last Medaka Box chapter...

was the last chapter in the series...

I re-read the chapter, and it says "...end" rather than the usual ".../end"

I AM SERIOUSLY FREAKING OUT HERE, THAT CAN'T BE THE LAST CHAPTER ;_;

wonzo

Banned
Urgh, those goddamn terrible CGIs, the main reason why I still didn't watch the second movie yet.
The CG's still pretty bad in the second movie but the second hillside duel with Guts and Griffith was absolutely gorgeous and had some fantastic animation, so too did the extended sex scene so it's not all bad!

Wait...

That last Medaka Box chapter...

was the last chapter in the series...

I re-read the chapter, and it says "...end" rather than the usual ".../end"

I AM SERIOUSLY FREAKING OUT HERE, THAT CAN'T BE THE LAST CHAPTER ;_;
If you're talking about 184 then don't worry as
a whole new arc's starting with this weeks chapter.

One Piece 701

I love the bait and switch with the whole "do you have any idea who you're talking to!?" trope get turned on its head by making the dangerous one the guy Luffy helps out.

Berserk is an absolutely incredible series, but with that said I stop reading at about chapter 286 several years ago and I doubt I will pick it back up.

Erigu

Normal size volumes, so slightly under 10 per volume. There is 333 chapters out and 37 volumes according to a scanlator.
Volume 37 is due for the end of the month, actually.
Also, we're at "episode 333" at the moment, but that's the Young Animal numbering. Berserk was serialized in another magazine at the very beginning, so there's actually... 16? I think? more episodes total.

You got trolled by Nisio.

I think we all did considering quiet a few of us thought this might be the final chapter, if what I read is true and this weeks chapter is the start
of a new arc
I seriously have no idea how that's going to be possible. I mean what is left?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I think we all did considering quiet a few of us thought this might be the final chapter, if what I read is true and this weeks chapter is the start
of a new arc

College!

Kusagari

of a new arc

It's the second time he's done it now if you count chapter 140. I hope he keeps doing these fakeout endings until it eventually gets canceled by Jump.

Atredeus

Neo Member
Welp... finally finished Rurouni Kenshin. Have to say the last fight was mostly pointless to anyone's character development but Enishi's... felt like it was a waste of time. Either way, once it got to the Kyoto arc it picked up nicely.

Well now that I have some more free time, I think I'll start up Planetes or Pluto. Both seem to be highly regarded around these parts.

Speaking of Claymore and its mass of confusing mind-fuckery, my list of dropped manga:
Freezing
AIKI
Cavalier of the Abyss
Blood Lad
Blazer Drive
Witch Hunter
Needless

Mostly because of unpredictable release schedules, frozen releases, or general confusingness (like not being able to tell half the characters apart)

Articalys

Manga Translation Pioneer Toren Smith Passes Away
Writer James Hudnall reported and ANN confirmed that Toren V. Smith, one of the earliest English translators of manga, passed away on March 5.

Smith has been involved in manga and anime since before 1986, when he organized the first major convention room for anime at BayCon in California. He worked at Viz Communications in its first year before translating The Legend of Kamui, one of the first manga ever translated into English, in 1988.

Smith then founded Studio Proteus, the outfit which collaborated to bring such titles as Appleseed, Outlanders, Lone Wolf and Cub, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Astro Boy to North America. Studio Proteus once said that he co-translated over 23,000 pages of manga. Since Haruka Takachiho's Dirty Pair novels did not have manga in Japan, he and Adam Warren created Dirty Pair comics in English. Smith later sold Studio Proteus to publisher Dark Horse Comics in 2004.

Smith, Gainax co-founder Toshio Okada, John McLaughlin, and others created AnimeCon 1991, the predecessor to Anime Expo. Gainax paid homage to Smith by naming the character Smith Toren in its Aim for the Top! Gunbuster anime in his honor.
Condolences to his family.

Mostly because of unpredictable release schedules, frozen releases, or general confusingness (like not being able to tell half the characters apart)

You dont keep a sticky note or have fanart of the characters to be able to tell them apart? At least in viz shonen jump I always have the initial page open that has the important characters so I can keep track of them (well mainly for nisekoi, all the girls seem the same).

Atredeus

Neo Member
You dont keep a sticky note or have fanart of the characters to be able to tell them apart? At least in viz shonen jump I always have the initial page open that has the important characters so I can keep track of them (well mainly for nisekoi, all the girls seem the same).

You try keeping all the Claymores straight. All have the same hair color, similar faces, and are only distinguishable by the specific cut and the logo on their sword.

Frozen isn't much better. Most of the girls aside from the couple mains are just generic female designs. The release schedule isn't constant, so 20 chapters later they bring back a character expecting the reader to know them when they haven't been seen in almost a year and they weren't that memorable to begin with.

Those are really the only two where I have trouble remembering/differentiating characters.

smurfx

get some go again
one piece

i don't want that blind swordsman to be an admiral. hopefully he enters the coliseum and wrecks shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom