• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it depends on how enjoyable the world building is.

I think One Piece's problem, at times, is that there's a pretty big quality gap between some arcs :( Of course, it's bound to happen but ... still. Not really an issue if you're playing catch up rather than waiting week-to-week though. This applies to a lot of other manga, though (e.g., Ippo >>).

Do people even judge stuff by weekly format ?
I don't judge a manga\ arc off it's weekly schedule .
I might bitch about it but i do read over stuff before i judge it .

Hunter X Hunter volumes 9, 10, 11, 12
Why is this manga so good?
The whole York Shin City arc is one of the best things ever. The more I read this manga, the more I think it's flawless.

Two flaws: Hiatus X Hiatus and scribbles. Without it constantly being on hiatus I could even excuse the scribbles.

Kurita

Two flaws: Hiatus X Hiatus and scribbles. Without it constantly being on hiatus I could even excuse the scribbles.

Well, it seems that there are no scribbles in the volumes I've read so far. And I think I would not be that bothered since the dialogues and what not are really good.

scy

Do people even judge stuff by weekly format ?
I don't judge a manga\ arc off it's weekly schedule .
I might bitch about it but i do read over stuff before i judge it .

Well, I think it's what gets a lot of the responses when a new chapter comes. I don't really try to judge things based off them but I do occasionally get into, "Not feeling this arc, I'll let it stack up some" moments.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
chicken_george_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5q6ouv.png
lupin_3_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5q6ov0.png

Any others?

I'm Neoriceisgood on deviantart.

Thank you so much bro!

The worst offenders being atrocious pacing (Bleach), ass-pulled power ups (Fairy Tail) and a big and potentially great but underused cast (mainly Naruto but Bleach to some extent as well). That's why FMA is such a masterpiece.

FMA is extremely overrated and is in no way a masterpiece. Under used cast in Bleach?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Actually, I have a different kind of request, neorice. I think you should stream the creation of one or two of these avatars.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
Wasn't one of the main complaints about the fake Karakura Town war was that it was focusing too much on side characters? Now people complain the cast is under used. Love it.
Edit: Yay, livestream.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wasn't one of the main complaints about the fake Karakura Town war was that it was focusing too much on side characters? Now people complain the cast is under used. Love it.
Edit: Yay, livestream.

It really depends on what characters. Ichigo's friends get no love and the Captains get way too much. The cast is too big is the main problem.

YAWN

I think the only character who could stand more love is Chad, but he's too busy with the floor nowadays.

I won't say that , i have seen some popularity polls where characters rank high and hardly do anything for certain show \manga .

Gin was popular before even doing anything at the beginning of Bleach.

Yes, to an extent. The only characters who are used properly in Bleach are the ones ranking at the top of the popularity charts.

Not true. Soi Fong, Shunsui, the vizards, Yamamoto, Barragan, Wonder Wiess, Tousen, Isshin, Youruichi, Yamichika, Ikkaku, Momo, Rangiku. All of them got a spot light in the war against/for Aizen and IIRC none of them (most of them in case i don´t remember correctly) were popular in Japan.

Akito

Not true. Soi Fong, Shunsui, the vizards, Yamamoto, Barragan, Wonder Wiess, Tousen, Isshin, Youruichi, Yamichika, Ikkaku, Momo, Rangiku. All of them got a spot light in the war against/for Aizen and IIRC none of them (most of them in case i don´t remember correctly) were popular in Japan.
If by spot lights you mean landing one (most likely uneffective) attack or taking out some thrash mobs, than sure.

Gradivus

Huh ... Horimiya is monthly, not weekly. So I have this and Last Game to taunt me endlessly month-to-month?

... T.T

Well, it depends on how enjoyable the world building is.

I think One Piece's problem, at times, is that there's a pretty big quality gap between some arcs :( Of course, it's bound to happen but ... still. Not really an issue if you're playing catch up rather than waiting week-to-week though. This applies to a lot of other manga, though (e.g., Ippo >>).

For me, I tend to feel some of One Piece's problems is that the cast doesn't really get their fair 15 minutes of fame compared the the monster trio.

While its easy to understand with Naruto's friends group (forgotten the name of the group..the ones with Neji, Kiba, Hinata,etc) and Ichigo's school friends along with the Captains that it was far too hard to spread out a decent amount of screentime between everyone, due to the huge crowd of good guys.

For 9 main strawhats, Luffy, Zoro and Sanji tend to only get the focus out of the group, being the only ones with haki, it just makes the others seem useless now besides their jobs/dreams for end of the story.
(Franky has at least improved at least with Z movie, fighting against 2 enemies in Punk Hazard).

Lucky, Ussop, Nami and Chopper had a decent amount of screentime due to early recruitment, but Robin (Hasn't had a decent one on one fight for a long time) and Brooke (Just doesn't feel like he has contribute much to the party) don't really seem to do that much at all.

Well thats my opinion at least.

YAWN

Japan has absolutely god-awful taste. Fucking Hinamori beating out Kenpachi in a popularity poll. What the shitballs?

Your new years resolution should be getting a better taste. FMA, especially the ending was so damn weak that it soured the whole manga for me. Not that it was that special to begin with.

Really i thought the FMA ending was good .
It on the happy side but i like happy endings .

For me, I tend to feel some of One Piece's problems is that the cast doesn't really get their fair 15 minutes of fame compared the the monster trio.

While its easy to understand with Naruto's friends group (forgotten the name of the group..the ones with Neji, Kiba, Hinata,etc) and Ichigo's school friends along with the Captains that it was far too hard to spread out a decent amount of screentime between everyone, due to the huge crowd of good guys.

For 9 main strawhats, Luffy, Zoro and Sanji tend to only get the focus out of the group, being the only ones with haki, it just makes the others seem useless now besides their jobs/dreams for end of the story.
(Franky has at least improved at least with Z movie, fighting against 2 enemies in Punk Hazard).

Lucky, Ussop, Nami and Chopper had a decent amount of screentime due to early recruitment, but Robin (Hasn't had a decent one on one fight for a long time) and Brooke (Just doesn't feel like he has contribute much to the party) don't really seem to do that much at all.

Well thats my opinion at least.

Truth is since the time skip the other SH have hardly done anything which hopefully will get fix in the new arc with doflamingo .
Even the monster trio fights were a push over for them .

YAWN

If by spot lights you mean landing one (most likely uneffective) attack or taking out some thrash mobs, than sure.

Actually, Soi Fon and Hachi took out Barragan, the 2nd Espada, and one of the most hax characters in the universe. Pretty sure neither of them are popular, and damn sure Barragan isn't just some useless fodder.

But each of these characters got multiple chapters fight scenes. There were whole chapters dedicated to them. So how is that not a spot light?
Japan has absolutely god-awful taste. Fucking Hinamori beating out Kenpachi in a popularity poll. What the shitballs?

Kenpachi will always be a shit character to me as long as he´s a one dimensional character with no depth. Luckily Kubo will develop his character soon enough.

Really i thought the FMA ending was good .
It on the happy side but i like happy endings .

Don´t remind me man, don´t remind me.

YAWN

Kenpachi will always be a shit character to me as long as he´s a one dimensional character with no depth. Luckily Kubo will develop his character soon enough. .

Better than Momo at least. Well, seeing as we're both Bromamura fans, how did she beat out him? Or Kyoraku, or Urahara, or Tousen, or Hisagi, or even bloody Renji...

YAWN

I swear I could just go to Japan and draw a manga about cute little girls doing stupid things and earn milli- Oh, wait.

Better than Momo at least. Well, seeing as we're both Bromamura fans, how did she beat out him? Or Kyoraku, or Urahara, or Tousen, or Hisagi, or even bloody Renji...

It happens don't bother to much about it plus it is also a small part of the fan base that votes anyway .
For eg Luffy got first in 4th popularity poll with 7000 plus votes and OP fan base at the time was 1.5 million plus .

Gradivus

Truth is since the time skip the other SH have hardly done anything which hopefully will get fix in the new arc with doflamingo .
Even the monster trio fights were a push over for them .

Yeah I'm hoping so aswell. Oda stated on at jump festa that One Piece is about 60% done, so all the big names will be coming out soon. Hopefully the means the other members can do a bit more than just taking care of mooks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom