• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I always thought Oda doesn't give Robin proper one on ones due to her powers. She's like the Fugo of the Strawhats.

Yeah I'm hoping so aswell. Oda stated on at jump festa that One Piece is about 60% done, so all the big names will be coming out soon. Hopefully the means the other members can do a bit more than just taking care of mooks.

I hope so as well Doflamingo crew or Big Mom crew should have enough fighters to give them 1 on 1 fights or maybe 2 on 1 for some .
With out them having to fight more fodder.

TLRD 27

I'm amazed the mouse survived all that pussy.

joseph_joestar_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5q6910.png
luffy_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5q6915.png
morgiana_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5q6917.png
shin_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5q691i.png
afro_samurai_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5q691u.png
blackgoku_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5q691x.png
bonkurei_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5q6alo.png
chicken_george_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5q6ouv.png
lupin_3_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5q6ov0.png
Goddamn man, the thread can't contain all this awesome. I'd watch you stream again but sleep, work etc.

Tower of God 78-81

Really? That's where you make a jump in the narrative? Dammit!!!

Not really feeling this prince guy so far. At first glance he seems a lot like Androssi.

scy

For me, I tend to feel some of One Piece's problems is that the cast doesn't really get their fair 15 minutes of fame compared the the monster trio.

While its easy to understand with Naruto's friends group (forgotten the name of the group..the ones with Neji, Kiba, Hinata,etc) and Ichigo's school friends along with the Captains that it was far too hard to spread out a decent amount of screentime between everyone, due to the huge crowd of good guys.

For 9 main strawhats, Luffy, Zoro and Sanji tend to only get the focus out of the group, being the only ones with haki, it just makes the others seem useless now besides their jobs/dreams for end of the story.
(Franky has at least improved at least with Z movie, fighting against 2 enemies in Punk Hazard).

Lucky, Ussop, Nami and Chopper had a decent amount of screentime due to early recruitment, but Robin (Hasn't had a decent one on one fight for a long time) and Brooke (Just doesn't feel like he has contribute much to the party) don't really seem to do that much at all.

Well thats my opinion at least.

I think that was part of the goal of the time skip: To give the non-monster trio upgrades for their fighting ability. Hopefully this pans out.

Hopefully... :|

Gradivus

I always thought Oda doesn't give Robin proper one on ones due to her powers. She's like the Fugo of the Strawhats.

I wouldn't mind her in more 2 on 1 battles ( Her fight with Franky against the Spider Monkey was pretty decent) with some of the other straw hats if that means she could get some more screentime. Its just with 1 on 1s, the said characters get more focus on their personalities, new attacks/weapons etc.

Just being left with the fodder just makes the character/s feel unimportant if its a continuous thing. Her role of the party doesn't help that much either. If say... Franky or Chopper aren't fighting, they will be showing off their technology or doctoring skills to give them other uses. While the world history will be important towards the end of the story, there just hasn't been enough of it the last 690+ chapters to make me feel like Robin done a decent amount for the team.

I think that was part of the goal of the time skip: To give the non-monster trio upgrades for their fighting ability. Hopefully this pans out.

Hopefully... :|
It could be, its just that many people were expecting everyone to gain haki over the timeskip since it was finally explained. With it being confirmed that only the monster trio got it, it just seems like the power between the top 3 and bottom 3 has expanded once again.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Full Metal Alchemist 65-108 Fin

I really enjoyed seeing all the various plot lines come together in the end and how they gave all the major characters a good fight in the finale. Only character who really got screwed out of one was Al but he has the best moment in the finale when he gives up his iron body to restore Ed's hand. If I had any problems with the finale it would of been that it got hard to follow at times. I got the general gist of what was going on but on a whole it seemed rather fuzzy.

Overall the series was top notch, great art and writing that kept me pretty glued the whole way though. Roy and Al were my two favorite characters, my bottom two characters being Ling and Mei, especially the latter. The only time I enjoyed Ling as a character was when he was possessed by Greed.

So with that finished my next project is going to be another classic I've never read

Rurouni Kenshin

Gradivus

Full Metal Alchemist 65-108 Fin

I really enjoyed seeing all the various plot lines come together in the end and how they gave all the major characters a good fight in the finale. Only character who really got screwed out of one was Al but he has the best moment in the finale when he gives up his iron body to restore Ed's hand. If I had any problems with the finale it would of been that it got hard to follow at times. I got the general gist of what was going on but on a whole it seemed rather fuzzy.

Overall the series was top notch, great art and writing that kept me pretty glued the whole way though. Roy and Al were my two favorite characters, my bottom two characters being Ling and Mei, especially the latter. The only time I enjoyed Ling as a character was when he was possessed by Greed.

So with that finished my next project is going to be another classic I've never read

Rurouni Kenshin

I was happy with Al's fight with Pride/Kimberly. For me Izumi was one who didn't get enough at the finale (she was pretty much my favorite female character in the story).

I would agree with you on the bottom two characters (only difference is that I like him when he wasn't possessed by Greed).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Her problem is that she's either totally overpowered (against any non-logia user), or completely underpowered (any logia and some paramecia). If she actually trained to fight like the others, and developed Haki, she would be nigh unstoppable.

El Sloth

Banned
Nanatsu no Taizai/Seven Deadly Sins: 6-7

I say it every time I read a chapter, but dat art.

I've been wondering about something: at first I thought some sort of anti-aging thing happened to Diana and Meliodas and the rest of the 7, but it's looking like maybe the new guy has aged a bit. I wonder if it's just something specific to Meliodas and Diana did age and just still looks fairly young.

Azure J

Her problem is that she's either totally overpowered (against any non-logia user), or completely underpowered (any logia and some paramecia). If she actually trained to fight like the others, and developed Haki, she would be nigh unstoppable.

Robin would be beyond fucking busted with Haki. It's criminal how under explored her power is specifically. It's in my trinity of best powers in that manga as #2.

I would also say that she has a problem with people that much stronger than her physically .
for eg she could not stop Zoro zombie and he was nothing but power and physically strength.
Hurting her limbs which in turn hurt her is a huge weakness vs certain characters .

I was happy with Al's fight with Pride/Kimberly. For me Izumi was one who didn't get enough at the finale (she was pretty much my favorite female character in the story).

I would agree with you on the bottom two characters (only difference is that I like him when he wasn't possessed by Greed).

For sure that was a good fight, especially when Al came out wielding the philosophers stone. Al really didn't beat either of them though, his group ended up retreating and Pride ate Kimberly which was horribly disappointing. Kimberly was such an ass though the series I wanted him to get the shit kicked out of him.

Wiseblade

I still really want to know what the deal is with Jewelry Bonney. That's potentially one of the most interesting threads Oda has going right now.

Lain

Well then, you're even more awesome than I already thought you were ^^.

Drifters vol 2
6kk.jpg

I don't know what you people think of Toyohisa, but I pretty much agree with Nobunaga, Toyohisa is a crazy motherfucker perfectly fit to be a leader.
His fixation with honor kills could become tedious in the hands of some other author, but Hirano is really using it well, sometimes with great comedic results, sometimes to great payoff. Seeing Toyohisa's change in behaviour with the surrendering soldiers after they find the evlish women was fitting. More than fitting even, deserved!

Naturally, with the way volume 2 ends I simply had to, so I went ahead and looked at the scans of the next translated chapters and so....

Drifters ch 23-33

The fact Jeanne didn't die because it isn't honorable to kill women... Hirano I love you! Now make her change sides and I'll love you even more!

Also, this manga keeps adding great historic characters I simply love. First Jeanne, now Hannibal and Scipio. who's going to be next?! I'm hoping for Alexander the Great!

Haly

She could just materialize a giant hand and flick someone with a finger now.

Kusagari

I still really want to know what the deal is with Jewelry Bonney. That's potentially one of the most interesting threads Oda has going right now.

She's probably going to be the most important SN besides Kidd/Law because of her weird connection with the World Government.

Mr. Fix

With Kizaru as No. 1? I can get behind that.

Oda balances that out by making him completely slow-minded. I'd say Enel is probably the most broken one.

I hope we'll see some more Eustass Kid in OP. He's a pretty cool dude...

I'd be all for him being involved in the next arc. Oda should continue to include those outside characters for each one from now on.

I'd love to see Buggy's fruit in the hands of someone powerful.

Fuck Buggy. Sucks that he might actually be a Warlord (or ex maybe).

Desmond

From my slow catch up of HxH I've realised that maybe Shueisha puts it on hiatus on purpose. If this shit ran every week no one would read anything else in Jump. Magnificence thy name is Togashi.

Wiseblade

Oda balances that out by making him completely slow-minded. I'd say Enel is probably the most broken one.

I'd be all for him being involved in the next arc. Oda should continue to include those outside characters for each one from now on.

Fuck Buggy. Sucks that he might actually be a Warlord (or ex maybe).

Enel is balanced out by being totally crazy. I think being worldly give Kizaru the edge. What would Enel do when faced with a Haki user?How would he deal with not being able to use Mantra? Kizaru has to know all these things already or he would never have made Admiral.

Wiseblade

Isn't Blackbeard the most broken character?
I mean, he has two powers... I wonder if he can steal another one.

Yeah, but unless he became gdlk with The Earthquake power and the Darkness power, he still loses to a fast Haki user. It's an instant win if he can actually get his hands on someone, though.

Haly

Blackbeard's default power is kind of meh, anyone with a respectable amount of haki would roflstomp him. As he is now... he could be a lot stronger, or not much stronger at all.

Mr. Fix

Enel is balanced out by being totally crazy. I think being worldly give Kizaru the edge. What would Enel do when faced with a Haki user?How would he deal with not being able to use Mantra? Kizaru has to know all these things already or he would never have made Admiral.

Wouldn't Mantra always work? And good point. I wonder if they actually found 2 replacement Admirals, or if the system's changed and they're just winging it with Kizaru. No more legendary birds. :I

I hope he actually keeps the Gura Gura. Jimbe mentioned that he'd taken over WB's turf without it. Maybe it's temporary.

Gradivus

Blackbeard still can get hurt easily unlike most logia types (He was still too weak to fight off against Sengoku and such at the war). Its going to be interesting to see the Blackbeard pirates actually do something in the new world.

For me, Kizaru seems to be the most broken one at least for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom