• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
TWGOK 214

goddamn, wakaki

monster waifu's 10

easily the smuttiest chapter yet.

papi x slime otp and bring on the spidergirl

Not Popular 33

Don't worry, there's always next year!

Assassination Classroom 26

ehh, can't say i'm really feeling this little arc tbqh

Just caught up to One Piece...dat final page. Oda' speeding things up, but it's about time we see
the extents of Donflamingo's power/strength. Also i suspect he is a D

Oh and-
ie2drZaQ0jiqH.gif

This is amazing.

Oh, come on!

hHeSB.jpg

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Any particular genre or some manga you want a recommendation similar to?

I think I can read anything, except horror manga. I'm not in mood for horror manga right now.

Well, you should first start off by telling us what you've already read and what you're into before we can start properly giving you recommendations.
Gaffers' Suggestion
Hoshin Engi
Pumpkin Scissors
Team Medical Dragon
Metamorcode
Neon Dimension Ascension
Kimi Note
A Bride's Story: good historic slice of life manga set in central Asia during the 19th century. Very relaxing and enjoyable read with amazing art
Planetes: still the best sci-fi manga I ever read.
REAL: fantastic sports manga about wheelchair basketball.
Solanin: best manga ever written
Takemitsu Zamurai: excellent samurai manga with a unique art style
Pluto: great sci-fi crime mystery manga
Ressentiment: the best take on the whole MMO virtual reality type of stories.
Flame of Recca
Kongou Banchou is nice little cheesy battle shounen with likable characters and good art. It just finished too.
Nanatsu no Taizai/The Seven Deadly sins is a new series from the same author and the art really is awesome. 8 chapters in last time I checked.
Worth following!
Beelzebub is a pretty amazingly funny comic. Well, it's not as been as funny lately as it mixes in more battle elements, but it's still a fun comic.
Sket Dance is another fun comedy comic with some surprisingly quality story arcs (I can't really say more without spoiling).
Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru - A seinen mixed martial arts comic with a big focus on karate.
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer - It's really fucking good. Check it out.
Slam Dunk - A classic. Awesome sports comic from Inoue Takehiko that ended far too soon. It's beginning is a bit rough, but trust me when I say
that the payoff from sticking with it is amazing. It's also fun watching Inoue's art evolve.
Any comic by Adachi Mitsuru. I few of my favorites are Touch, H2, and Cross Game.
Boys on the Run - An awesome slice-of-life comic. READ IT
REAL - Another awesome series from Inoue Takehiko about wheelchair basketball. READ IT
Suicide Island - A seinen survival comic about suicidal people that get dumped off on an island by the Japanese government. Like a more a mature
version of Cage of Eden you could say, except the only monsters are other people.
The World God Only Knows - A fun comic that a lot of folks here enjoy. Give it a shot
Onani Master Kurosawa
Solanin
Magi
FOURTEEN
Tetsuwan Girl
Green Blood
Teppu
7 Seeds
Kekkaishi
Dorohedoro
Iris zero

7 Seeds
Pumpkin Scissors
Ratman
Team Medical Dragon
Bowling King

Bowling King have been on break for long time, so I'm still waiting for next chapter.

Firefighter! Daigo of Fire Company M

I borrowed this manga from my friend. I really love first volume but it's hard to find 2nd volume anywhere here. I hate how underrated manga books are hard to find.

stryke

GE 156 END

An ending fitting of the title. It's not anything extravagant, surprising, exciting or whatnot, but good enough. Then again, it's kinda difficult for romcoms with this kind of tone to come up with some sort of unique or eccentric happy ending for all characters. Fastforwarding so much into the future was unexpected though and was a nice touch. Overall though, I do recognise it was kinda generic and predictable and relies on tropes known to work on people like me lol.

This was a series I discovered halfway through 2012 and had me pretty engaged (I'm a sucker for manga romcoms) and it did pretty well to last as long as it did, probably won't see any with a length of Ichigo 100% anytime soon (I forever despise Kawashita-sensei for that ending).

I'm interested to see where Kasuga-sensei goes next, but hopefully it is something that will provide some sort of identity,since GE is so generic, I don't think it achieve that. It is easily a series the manga industry would not have missed.

survivor

Banned
I think I can read anything, except horror manga. I'm not in mood for horror manga right now.
A Bride's Story: good historic slice of life manga set in central Asia during the 19th century. Very relaxing and enjoyable read with amazing art

Planetes: still the best sci-fi manga I ever read.

REAL: fantastic sports manga about wheelchair basketball.

Solanin: best manga ever written

Takemitsu Zamurai: excellent samurai manga with a unique art style

Pluto: great sci-fi crime mystery manga

Ressentiment: the best take on the whole MMO virtual reality type of stories.

El Sloth

Banned

From that list, I recommend:

Kongou Banchou is nice little cheesy battle shounen with likable characters and good art. It just finished too.

Nanatsu no Taizai/The Seven Deadly sins is a new series from the same author and the art really is awesome. 8 chapters in last time I checked. Worth following!

Beelzebub is a pretty amazingly funny comic. Well, it's not as been as funny lately as it mixes in more battle elements, but it's still a fun comic.

Sket Dance is another fun comedy comic with some surprisingly quality story arcs (I can't really say more without spoiling).

Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru - A seinen mixed martial arts comic with a big focus on karate.

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer - It's really fucking good. Check it out.

Slam Dunk - A classic. Awesome sports comic from Inoue Takehiko that ended far too soon. It's beginning is a bit rough, but trust me when I say that the payoff from sticking with it is amazing. It's also fun watching Inoue's art evolve.

Any comic by Adachi Mitsuru. I few of my favorites are Touch, H2, and Cross Game.

Comics I wanna recommend just because:

Boys on the Run - An awesome slice-of-life comic. READ IT

REAL - Another awesome series from Inoue Takehiko about wheelchair basketball. READ IT

Molester Man - A surprisingly endearing slice-of-life doujin based on some threads made on 2Ch. Don't let the name scare you away, it's not anywhere near as bad as it sounds. READ IT

Suicide Island - A seinen survival comic about suicidal people that get dumped off on an island by the Japanese government. Like a more a mature version of Cage of Eden you could say, except the only monsters are other people.

The World God Only Knows - A fun comic that a lot of folks here enjoy. Give it a shot.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Thanks for a lot of awesome recommendation. I really hope that those manga recommendations would last several months for me to catching up.

To whoever recommended Molester Man, I already read it and finished it in a day. It was very very good manga with impressive ending. Most of manga don't know how to give a good endings nowaday.

Thanks for a lot of awesome recommendation. I really hope that those manga recommendations would last several months for me to catching up.

To whoever recommended Molester Man, I already read it and finished it in a day. It was very very good manga with impressive ending. Most of manga don't know how to give a good endings nowaday.

Why 7 Seeds isnt on the gaffer suggestion list? Its an awesome manga, dont let the shoujo look turn you away.

One Punch Man 21

The chapter was too short! But it was nice finding out more about the hero association and seeing other heroes. I wonder how long it will take until the new ones are getting stomped and I also wonder why Genos wasn't doing anything about the monsters. He could clearly sense something.

Also, every chapter without Saitama is a sad chapter.

Why 7 Seeds isnt on the gaffer suggestion list? Its an awesome manga, dont let the shoujo look turn you away.

I'm not far enough into it yet to recommend it.

flawfuls

I was going to say read Dorohedoro -- and then I read no horror. :(

But I think of it more as a "slice of life", just in a fucked up world.

Yeah I won't call it horror it just has it's share of gore and striking masks. I wouldn't call it slice of life either though. I mean it was sort of like that in the beginning, but certainly not anymore.

IHaveIce

Banned
Why is the scanlation team of Baby Steps so slow :(

I mean the RAWs are out to 238 or so.

I'm really spoiled due to the fast scanlation of Magi, OPM and Molester Man.

suzu

and boy is that world fucked up.

cant wait for the next volume.

I'm looking forward to seeing whatever dumb stuff Ebisu will do with Dokuga as her slave. :)

Yeah I won't call it horror it just has it's share of gore and striking masks. I wouldn't call it slice of life either though. I mean it was sort of like that in the beginning, but certainly not anymore.

Yeah, not sure what I'd call it.. fantasy/action with a nice dose of gore and comedy? haha.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Why is the scanlation team of Baby Steps so slow :(

I mean the RAWs are out to 238 or so.

I'm really spoiled due to the fast scanlation of Magi, OPM and Molester Man.

If you followed Bowling King, Gamble Fish or Liar Game. You are more likely to develop better patience. :\

I was going to point out that its DTL and he's probably aware nobody actually thinks that, but then I remembered that earlier in this thread Beam actually posted both that FMA wasn't very good and that Bleach was his manga of the year in 2012.

There probably is someone like that.

This is wrong. It was always about that, you're construing old Naruto in a way that's beneficial to your memory feels.
And? What's your point? You did not refute anything from what I said about FMA. I had plenty of manga of the year including Noblesse and Magi. But that narrative that you are trying to make is tempting for you I guess.

Big One

Banned
As overrated FMA can be by it's fans it's Beethoven compared to Bleach's 50 Cent. The quality difference is so drastically different I'm not even sure how you can rank the two together. FMA was a defining shonen series while Bleach's only saving grace in the annuals of manga history is it's popularity. No one is going to remember Bleach for it's quality impact on the manga industry. And not only that, but Bleach being one of the most mediocre shonen manga of all time really makes this comparison off. Everything Bleach has done, FMA has done better ten times fold, and this won't change even when Bleach ends and becomes a completed story like FMA is.

There's solid work like FMA...and then there's Bleach. Nothing to say anything else about it.

dumbyugi

As overrated FMA can be by it's fans it's Beethoven compared to Bleach's 50 Cent. The quality difference is so drastically different I'm not even sure how you can rank the two together. FMA was a defining shonen series while Bleach's only saving grace in the annuals of manga history is it's popularity. No one is going to remember Bleach for it's quality impact on the manga industry. And not only that, but Bleach being one of the most mediocre shonen manga of all time really makes this comparison off. Everything Bleach has done, FMA has done better ten times fold, and this won't change even when Bleach ends and becomes a completed story like FMA is.

There's solid work like FMA...and then there's Bleach. Nothing to say anything else about it.

I agree that FMA is far better then Bleach but to say that FMA is genre defining is a load of crap. It will be remembered for being a great series by the people who like it, much like Bleach will be remembered as a great series by the people who like it. Also I hate Bleach but to say it's one of the most medicore shonen manga just shows how little manga you've actually read.

Good ol BO is back. :')

You're my favorite poster Big One-kun <3

I agree that FMA is far better then Bleach but to say that FMA is genre defining is a load of crap. It will be remembered for being a great series by the people who like it, much like Bleach will be remembered as a great series by the people who like it. Also I hate Bleach but to say it's one of the most medicore shonen manga just shows how little manga you've actually read.

Pretty much this, well not the Bleach hate part. The thing he only reads like 5 manga and he goes to say that Naruto is the worst shit ever. It´s funny how AG mentioned me because i had serious issues with FMA, and that i enjoy Bleach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom