• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

Clearly what this means is that Yoko (or Yoko drawn) manga are the one thing with enough potency to unify MangaGAF. Too bad they come around as often as the Olympics (but feel like the time between Haliley's Comet sightings).

wonzo

Banned
Nijigahara Holograph
nijigahara.jpg

I feel as if this just took my brain, fucked it into a trillion little pieces and stitched it all back together as I think I kinda get it and yet feel like I have no fucking idea what I just read. Incredible, I feel like this is something I'm gonna end up reading again and again and still pick up on new things each and every time. Bravo Asano.

Yumekui Merry 40-45

Y'know, I thought this twist was pretty cool and it still is really but that was just before I started reading Holograph and now... it just ain't the same.

upandaway

Yes its a shounen sport manga about bowling. MC is crazy.
Is it the one where the MC needs to take a crap and spends the entire game just avoiding little pieces slipping out to his pants?

If it is, man, I think I read that like... back when One Piece was at Enies Lobby and NULL was releasing it. That was a long time ago. All I remember was the game he needed to shit really bad, that was so funny.

Clearly what this means is that Yoko (or Yoko drawn) manga are the one thing with enough potency to unify MangaGAF. Too bad they come around as often as the Olympics (but feel like the time between Haliley's Comet sightings).
I may finally read Koganeiro today maybe. Maybe. I'm just scared to remove that from my wishlist, it's basically a free trap card to save any one day I choose.

stryke

While Molester Man was all the rage here, I decided to hold out so I can read it in one sitting.

ManGaf, you have not disappointed me.

survivor

Banned
Basara vol 12-13
tQM7s.jpg
ZXXSd.jpg

Fuck, I really tried to hold those tears, but the ending of volume 13 really got me :( Not to mention all the shit Renko went through and Hozumi's suffering. I'm very surprised at how evil and dickish they made Momonoi appear to be. The Emperor will probably end up being an even more brutal version of him. Oh yeah, and after this small battle done, I'm sure Shuri is gonna and try to take his city back, but Sarasa has already called for support from Chacha. I wonder if the two armies will clash or if Sarasa will retreat and let Shuri take back Suou.

The prison arc was full of surprises. It also made me realize that this series seems to have a habit of giving every beautiful male character some tragic backstory and then letting them join Sarasa's side. The escape plan was enjoyable and I liked the plot twist with the prisoner that escaped 20 years ago.

And now, I'm gonna go and watch K-On to cheer myself up

OceanBlue

The World God Only Knows 214

Edit: Aww, I thought I was special for catching it first. I didn't realize everyone refers to it as TWGOK. No need for spoiler tags or dramatics then.

I like how this feels un-TWGOK-like, but at the same time fits into the visual novel motif. I like these types of time-travel stories too and the very clear cut failure-and-redemption setting that it creates (I really liked Higurashi and Tatami Galaxy because of this too). This chapter definitely raised more questions than it answered, as typical of this type of story, but it also gives us an endgame to look forward to. That should appease some people who have been slightly turned off from this arc.

Big One

Banned
I agree that FMA is far better then Bleach but to say that FMA is genre defining is a load of crap. It will be remembered for being a great series by the people who like it, much like Bleach will be remembered as a great series by the people who like it. Also I hate Bleach but to say it's one of the most medicore shonen manga just shows how little manga you've actually read.
I never said FMA was genre-defining, I said it was a defining shonen manga. Or well, the anime was at least. When the anime aired it really inspired a whole new generation of anime fans, lining up quality with popularity for the first time ever pretty much. In the very least, I don't think you realize how popular FMA actually is if you believe otherwise.

And Bleach is really legitimately one of the most mediocre shonen manga ever. I'd rather read Buso Renkin than Bleach. I've read loads of old (and new) shonen manga, a lot of them mediocre, but nothing like Bleach. Bleach is definitive mediocrity in manga form and basically acts for many as baby's-first-manga.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
Haven't read TWGOK, Yamada, Bleach, or Fairy Tail for about two months. Need to catch up some time.

If anyone is wondering where Silver Spoon is I just asked and the answer is everyone outside the core teams have been slacking off for the Holidays and New Year. Give it another week and they should start catching up.

survivor

Banned
Nijigahara Holograph

I feel as if this just took my brain, fucked it into a trillion little pieces and stitched it all back together as I think I kinda get it and yet feel like I have no fucking idea what I just read. Incredible, I feel like this is something I'm gonna end up reading again and again and still pick up on new things each and every time. Bravo Asano.
I have always wondered if Holograph was a 2deep4u manga or if it's just Asano trying to fuck with us as much as he can while we try to decipher what the fuck we read.

I never said FMA was genre-defining, I said it was a defining shonen manga. Or well, the anime was at least. When the anime aired it really inspired a whole new generation of anime fans, lining up quality with popularity for the first time ever pretty much. In the very least, I don't think you realize how popular FMA actually is if you believe otherwise.

And Bleach is really legitimately one of the most mediocre shonen manga ever. I'd rather read Buso Renkin than Bleach. I've read loads of old (and new) shonen manga, a lot of them mediocre, but nothing like Bleach. Bleach is definitive mediocrity in manga form and basically acts for many as baby's-first-manga.

Saying Bleach one of the most mediocre shonen mangas ever is pushing it, seeing as there's thousands of shounen series (completed, cancelled, or ongoing) available. Hell, I think we are lucky since most of us non-Japanese reading fans don't have to waddle through shit to get good mangas, there's scanlators picking the good ones out for us.

Now if you have said 'Bleach is one of the most mediocre popular shonen manga for the past 2 years' however, I'll agree with you.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I have always wondered if Holograph was a 2deep4u manga or if it's just Asano trying to fuck with us as much as he can while we try to decipher what the fuck we read.
Are those two mutually exclusive?

Surely he can fuck with you using 2deep4u shenanigans.

dumbyugi

So you're saying it's a demographic defining manga then. I still think my point that it is no more defining then Bleach still stands. I'm also well aware of how popular FMA is both in Japan and worldwide and Bleach is at least as popular worldwide and will be more popular in the long run in Japan simply because it's a longer series, so more people will have read it.

A "baby's-first-manga" would actually be more likley to be a defining shonen manga because that would mean it's accesable to people who don't already like manga. My point also stands that you clearly haven't read many mediocre manga if you think Bleach is definitive mediocrity in manga form. In your opinion Bleach is mediocre, which is fine I think it sucks too, but you keep trying to act like your're opinion is the only one that matters and that everyone elses are meaningless.

Ao No Exorcist

Damn, Yukio has some darkness that´s going to surface.

So you're saying it's a demographic defining manga then. I still think my point that it is no more defining then Bleach still stands. I'm also well aware of how popular FMA is both in Japan and worldwide and Bleach is at least as popular worldwide and will be more popular in the long run in Japan simply because it's a longer series, so more people will have read it.

A "baby's-first-manga" would actually be more likley to be a defining shonen manga because that would mean it's accesable to people who don't already like manga. My point also stands that you clearly haven't read many mediocre manga if you think Bleach is definitive mediocrity in manga form. In your opinion Bleach is mediocre, which is fine I think it sucks too, but you keep trying to act like your're opinion is the only one that matters and that everyone elses are meaningless.

He´s been doing that for a long time.

dumbyugi

W Change!! END

This was a pretty good series, I liked most of the characters, the art was nice and the story wrapped up nicely. I have a real soft spot for mulitple personality stories so that helped with my enjoyment of the series quite a bit as well. Overall I'd give this an 8/10. My one big negative was that the final confrontation was a bit of a let down and it really should have been Maki who got the last shot in.

Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou 10

Papi x Slime Girl 4eva.

Those Who Chase the Ageha 1-16

This is actually pretty funny, though it is a little ugly. I thought this was going to be more serious after reading the description but except for a bit of drama it's mostly a comedy. It's nearly fully scanned and I'm fully expecting a happy ending for Ageha. It's also very similar to the authors other work, Those Who Hunt Elves, which I refuse to put on my reading list because the last chapter was scanned two thousand six hundred something days ago.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
As overrated FMA can be by it's fans it's Beethoven compared to Bleach's 50 Cent. The quality difference is so drastically different I'm not even sure how you can rank the two together. FMA was a defining shonen series while Bleach's only saving grace in the annuals of manga history is it's popularity. No one is going to remember Bleach for it's quality impact on the manga industry. And not only that, but Bleach being one of the most mediocre shonen manga of all time really makes this comparison off. Everything Bleach has done, FMA has done better ten times fold, and this won't change even when Bleach ends and becomes a completed story like FMA is.

There's solid work like FMA...and then there's Bleach. Nothing to say anything else about it.

Reads nothing but the Big Three

Talks about annals of Manga history

Solune

Everyday Monster Girl 10

I've been witnessing WAY too many orgasms in manga lately :lol what the hell. Is this a new trend?
I don't believe in a thing called "too many" orgasms.
Have you read Monhan no Erohon?
Stop reading all that Bleach man.
I'd read more Bleach if that was really the case!
Ore ga Doutei o Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite 7 aka Smutterfly Effect 7 - Just fuck her and then do your best to make sure the friend gets laid. If all else fails, run away!. I do wonder if he'll just gradually make the friend a "nicer" person who eventually gets a girl on his own. Seems like it might go this way. I can't imagine the friend becoming a killer with the way he's acting (outside of the occasional creeper panel of him, anyway), though.

I just want more history changing events, though we may be completely outside that entirely. Maybe a BAD END with another reset to happen? Whatever, just get with glasses girl and worry about the rest of this shit later!
Ha, I KNEW you'd come over.
You're also kicked off the cool kids table.
Foolishness Sloth, Foolishness. You need more pixels. Pixels control everything, and without them you cannot protect anything, let alone your waifus.
Haqua's the best, man.
Aside from Chihiro
Good Pixel skills. Good Waifu picks. I see a direct correlation here!
I kinda prefer making new characters tho, to add my big badass compilation!

Pfft. As if.

*cough* Although, if you wouldn't mind, I'd like one of the main character of Boys on the Run as seen here in a fighting pose looking worried but resolute like he does here. Reference for the jacket.*cough*

My will is unshakeable.
Now's your chance to strike hot Neoriceisgood!
upandaway's gimmick of putting comments in edits and titles is the best one.
upandaway has the best reactions to manga chapters in this thread. no contest.
Monster Musume

Oh god this chapter was so hot. Oooooohh~~

Not surprised that a Mermaid is the next addition. I imagine the next one will be some sort of Ghost or a Spider-Girl.
Oh, did you get your laptop fixed? Didn't see you for a long time!

wonzo

Banned
the disappearance of yuki nagato 1-9

yukichan9.png

i've been meaning to check this out since that scene from the haruhi movie and so far it's simply 9 chapters of yuki being moe as hell so i approve

No reason it can't be both!

As overrated FMA can be by it's fans it's Beethoven compared to Bleach's 50 Cent. The quality difference is so drastically different I'm not even sure how you can rank the two together. FMA was a defining shonen series while Bleach's only saving grace in the annuals of manga history is it's popularity. No one is going to remember Bleach for it's quality impact on the manga industry. And not only that, but Bleach being one of the most mediocre shonen manga of all time really makes this comparison off. Everything Bleach has done, FMA has done better ten times fold, and this won't change even when Bleach ends and becomes a completed story like FMA is.

There's solid work like FMA...and then there's Bleach. Nothing to say anything else about it.

Unless one only reads four shounen mamga in the genre, I do not think I would pin down bleach as being one of the most mediocre Manga in the genre...bleach at least has better character designs and outfis than fma and most series, and I think it could be safe to say, Kubo has at least delivered some actually good looking fights and swordfights in the genre.

Bleach will probably be remembered as being one of the influential series of the 2000's decade of anime and Manga.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I can't for the life of me think of a single thing Bleach has influenced, except perhaps Meta Aizen jokes.

Pretty much. Jojo has better outfits hands down, Bleach character designs are honestly kind of boring. No matter what group of people you see there will be emo kid, big tits and fat fuck.

Until Death Do Us Part

Mamoru continues to god mode these poor bastards. This is like what, the tenth arm he's cut off? Everyone else is just now figuring out they don't stand a chance against him, you'd have thought this would have been obvious after he cut off his fourth arm. Old Man didn't stand a damn chance. Good-bye Black Brigade.

Reknoc

Oh, did you get your laptop fixed? Didn't see you for a long time!

Got it replaced. Now I have a PC that can actually play games. Which probably wont help with any manga reading but oh well. Also need to try and remember what I was reading and where I got to. Only two series I know for I was trying to catch up with were Akama ga Kill and Ubel Blatt

Bleach is better than Yawn Piece and DragonBall Zzz. Real Talk
Yeah Dragonball was pretty underwhelming and didn't live up to the hype and praise that people had for it, unless it was because I had read so many other Manga before finally reading it in 2012. At times One Piece makes me want to just gaze at the art and skip most of the text, I miss how exciting it was when we were in Alabasta, Goa, Marinford...works better as an anime than a Manga.

dumbyugi

Yeah Dragonball was pretty underwhelming and didn't live up to the hype and praise that people had for it, unless it was because I had read so many other Manga before finally reading it in 2012. At times One Piece makes me want to just gaze at the art and skip most of the text, I miss how exciting it was when we were in Alabasta, Goa, Marinford...works better as an anime than a Manga.

That's very possibly why you didn't care for it much. Dragonball created a lot of the tropes that modern action shonen uses so if you've read a lot of current stuff then Dragonball can seem pretty by the books. I personally love it, but that's probably because it was the first manga I ever read.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If I don't like naruto would I like Bleach?

I keep thinking that I should get into the big 3 but then I keep hearing massive amounts of bitching about them every week. :p

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
If I don't like naruto would I like Bleach?

I keep thinking that I should get into the big 3 but then I keep hearing massive amounts of bitching about them every week. :p
Well, Bleach is a lot better than Naruto but there's a good chance you still won't like it. Shit pacing, predictable battles, retcons ahoy, morequestionsnoanswers, empty panels, etc.

But if you can get over the cons, you'll really like Bleach. If you balance the pros and cons, you probably won't like it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Honestly though I might check out bleach sometime in the near future. Hearing that it might end soon has kinda piqued my interest. (or is that naruto?)

Plus I always thought that its volume covers were pretty slick.

Meanwhile one piece is way too damn long for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom