• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Sloth

Banned
Edit: ^Japan, huh.

She is Zenkichi's mother. That's the guy breathing out his soul in the lower panel.
Now I understand. That makes perfect sense. Thanks, Haly.
I don't appreciate your tone. What are you trying to imply?
I'm not judging your fetishes, upandaway. It's cool.
It's Medaka Box, don't question it. Just understand that it gets more and more insane.
Last time someone told me something like this I ended up reading Freesia.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Edit: ^Japan, huh.

Now I understand. That makes perfect sense. Thanks, Haly.

I'm not judging your fetishes, upandaway. It's cool.

Last time someone told me something like this I ended up reading Freesia.

LOL

If you think having a loli mom is insane you ain't seen nothing yet. It's not like Freesia though.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the fisherman arc and the beginning of the vegapunk factory arc (or whatever the fuck that was) were extremely boring, one of the reasons why I dropped the manga, but then again I stopped reading the big 3 altogether.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why are you guys so obsessed with assigning quality levels to various shonen?

Stulaw

the fisherman arc and the beginning of the vegapunk factory arc (or whatever the fuck that was) were extremely boring, one of the reasons why I dropped the manga, but then again I stopped reading the big 3 altogether.

And that's exactly why I stated in my post, "up until the recent arcs".

Naruto and Bleach are very good Manga themselves, in fact, I don't understand the hate of the current arc in Naruto, it's been pretty consistent and pretty damn good throughout, although I think the Animé will benefit more because it'll fill in the parts that weren't explained in the Manga (which was on purpose).

Bleach has also been pretty consistent, it's had its good moments and really felt like it could have ended pre-timeskip, but I'm glad it didn't and I'm glad that Kubo is using the current arcs to explain things and shuffle things around, and like Naruto, I don't really get the hate other than the pacing, although I guess if anyone read the whole thing through without waiting every week for the next chapter, I'm sure the pacing would seem fine.

That might also be the reason why in my mind, One Piece was (read "was") better than Bleach and Naruto, because I started reading it a few years after I started the other two.

Both Fishman Island and Punk Hazard suffer from many of the same fundamental problems; boring antagonists, too many subplots for too many characters, too much time spent setting up future plots. This ruins the pacing, confuses the audience, and forces the arc to stretch way too long in order to resolve all the subplots. The good moments don't get their due and there's too much shit you just don't care about.

For example the samurai on Punk Hazard is just completely unnecessary, we've known that we're eventually going to Wano Country ever since Thriller Bark. You could omit him from the story entirely and not lose much, but I assume that Oda has some master plan for him down the line and so he must be inflicted upon us.

I suspect that it may take years for the New World stories to pick up steam while Oda gets the cluttered foreshadowing out of the way.

Mr. Fix

Both Fishman Island and Punk Hazard suffer from many of the same fundamental problems; boring antagonists, too many subplots for too many characters, too much time spent setting up future plots. This ruins the pacing, confuses the audience, and forces the arc to stretch way too long in order to resolve all the subplots. The good moments don't get their due and there's too much shit you just don't care about.

For example the samurai on Punk Hazard is just completely unnecessary, we've known that we're eventually going to Wano Country ever since Thriller Bark. You could omit him from the story entirely and not lose much, but I assume that Oda has some master plan for him down the line and so he must be inflicted upon us.

I suspect that it may take years for the New World stories to pick up steam while Oda gets the cluttered foreshadowing out of the way.

Agree with the bolded, except for the rest (assuming you mean side-characters like Law and co.). Unless you're referring to stuff like Shirahoshi and their flashback, then I'd also agree. Flashbacks for crew members and other established characters in the OP-verse are a must though. Besides, I like the fact that he gives some attention to the island-specific characters. It's really apparent in Water 7 (the King), but every island would have been extremely boring if it were just the crew zooming through. If I wanted side characters that were brushed off like nothing, then that's what Naruto's for.

Articalys

Liar Game 166

THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP

Well, not exactly, but close enough. I wonder if they'll wrap up this game in the next chapter.

Agree with the bolded, except for the rest (assuming you mean side-characters like Law and co.)

I actually think that Law is the strongest part of Punk Hazard and I've argued before that Oda should have focused more tightly on the weird alliance between the Straw Hats and the Heart Pirates. I actually think that Smoker should have been saved for later. As it is we have three protagonist factions, each of which need their own enemies and shit to do. Then we have the samurai. Then we have the kids. And Brownbeard. And the blob. And now Doflamingo. Most of that could have been trimmed.

Punk Hazard should have been about the Straw Hats discovering the shit going down at the lab and forming an alliance with Law against Ceasar, with Doflamingo being the surprise twist at the end. Instead it is now about a dozen different things, not all of which seem to be related.

Mr. Fix

Naruto vs. Bleach vs. One Piece is basically Wii vs. 360 vs. PS3.

will_smith_no_gif.gif

Kinda.

Beam, more things doesn't mean it's better. For example, Obito was the biggest reveal, sure, but at the same time it's so cringeworthy that it actually was him.

The stuff that happened in Naruto pushed the plot. Most of one piece´s arc was crap and did not push anything. Reveal of Obito is a huge plot point for the manga. Not to mention return of the boss Madara to the manga. Neji´s death, Kabuto´s defeat, the return of Orochimaru dwarf anything that happened in one piece. And as far as cringeworthy the manufacturing of DF and how DF transfer from a dead guy to fruit is as cringeworhty as Obito being Tobi, except most people know about the Obito thing. I just refused to believe this fact until the reveal.

Bleach is "Rule of Cool" the manga. There are some straight up BOSS shit in the series.

Naruto is the "Could've been something special, but failed" the manga personified. Chunin Exam arc is still one of the best manga arcs...ever.

One Piece is "How the fuck do you categorize this shit". The art is either pretty good or completely atrocious. Not Molester Man atrocious, but good lord. And you all complain Bleach and Naruto where you sometimes can't tell what's going on?

lol

Mr. Fix

The stuff that happened in Naruto pushed the plot. Most of one piece´s arc was crap and did not push anything. Reveal of Obito is a huge plot point for the manga. Not to mention return of the boss Madara to the manga. Neji´s death, Kabuto´s defeat, the return of Orochimaru dwarf anything that happened in one piece. And as far as cringeworthy the manufacturing of DF and how DF transfer from a dead guy to fruit is as cringeworhty as Obito being Tobi, except most people know about the Obito thing. I just refused to believe this fact until the reveal.

Different strokes, I guess. Doflamingo's always been one of the ones I figured would have been an end-game opponent. Luffy's on sudoku watch after having been broadcasted, and there's the chance that he's picked a fight against another yonkou. Especially after having found out how much of an influence Doflamingo has in the New World, personally it's much bigger than the impact Tobi himself has.

Beam, more things doesn't mean it's better. For example, Obito was the biggest reveal, sure, but at the same time it's so cringeworthy that it actually was him.

I thought the reveal was cute.

85Rnq.jpg

Lol, people hating on both Korra and Bleach.

Most of the reasons to have on fake anime like Avatar are valid, though. Just look at Wiseblade's gifs. Terrible, every single one of them.

Naruto vs. Bleach vs. One Piece is basically Wii vs. 360 vs. PS3.

I agree, if One Piece is the Wii. Both have clearly the same target audience.

I don't think FI had to much subplots , Punk Hazard on the hand had to much and was to long for a set up arc .

My deepest condolences.
The question is, who didn't do that? I initially brushed off OP due to the art style in favor of the cool looking anime (Bleach and Naruto) when I was a naive teenager.

I did that, too. Almost dropped the manga at the awful Skypiea arc and then definitely dropped it at the end of fishmen island. I've been trying to get back into it, but it just happens that Punk Hazard is another shit arc. What a coincidence! Reading One Piece is simply a chore.

Different strokes, I guess. Doflamingo's always been one of the ones I figured would have been an end-game opponent. Luffy's on sudoku watch after having been broadcasted, and there's the chance that he's picked a fight against another yonkou. Especially after having found out how much of an influence Doflamingo has in the New World, personally it's much bigger than the impact Tobi himself has.

The thing with Deflamingo is it´s early for him to fight Luffy and co. Luffy has already declared war on Big Mom. Sure Luffy will fight them all eventually, but sending all big shots at the beginning of the new world does not seem wise to me. The war with big Mom, if it ever happens, will be in a few years, a la fishmen island announcement in water 7, which means that the war will happen in a few years because all of the obstacles. Luffy defeating Big Mom in his first major battle in the new world will throw the whole world in chaos, and it would be great seeing how the new world reacts, and how the other emperors would react. One would say Emperors>shishibukai in strength, but we only know about WhiteBeard and BalckBeard strength. Besides Daflamingo has a bigger role in the story than Big Mom since he runs the whole illegal underground industry. Deflaminga might not lose now, but unless he finishes off Law, or the SH, than his attack will not mean anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom