• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yuuko_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5qjvu1.png
eternal_sailor_moon_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5qjvu7.png
gutontherun_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5qjvu8.png
maka_soul_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5qjz8r.png
mysteriousgirlfriendx_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5qjvue.png

Next batch done, you know if you asked for it.

Sweet, thanks!

I tend not to include humor as a pro or con because that's one of the most subjective things. I hardly find anything funny in OP when everyone else is like "that was absolutely hilarious omg" (not exaggeration) at the same time. Some of the humor in these latest Bleach chapters has been hit or miss, but I did find myself chuckling at some of the stuff. I don't know if that's cause of the translations, though. That part when Ichigo, Renji, and Kon spit their shit out after Hikifune became a dime was goddamn funny to me, though.

True , humor also depends how much you like certain characters also .

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I tend not to include humor as a pro or con because that's one of the most subjective things. I hardly find anything funny in OP when everyone else is like "that was absolutely hilarious omg" (not exaggeration) at the same time. Some of the humor in these latest Bleach chapters has been hit or miss, but I did find myself chuckling at some of the stuff. I don't know if that's cause of the translations, though. That part when Ichigo, Renji, and Kon spit their shit out after Hikifune became a dime was goddamn funny to me, though.

I have 0 doubt Kubo is gonna go in on that. I'm kind of worried about whether or not he's gonna flesh out any of the Quincy enemies not named Bach. Not because I care about Quincy, but because it would just help the war have some meaning.

Whether something is any good in any manner is subjective, period. Calling something "objectively bad" is by its terms contradictory and non-sensical. It makes just about as much sense as using the word "literally" figuratively, i.e. saying "my head literally exploded when I read that chapter of Naruto."

I also can't remember the last time I laughed at anything that occurred in either Naruto or Bleach, at least not when it was intended to be funny.

PK Gaming

Ain't nothing funny breh.

Naruto is OBJECTIVELY bad. Part 2, that is. Part 2 of Naruto is absolute garbage. There were a couple of good moments; that's all. Compared to part 1?

If we were speaking strictly part 1, then maybe you'd have a point, but no, Naruto isn't even close to Bleach right now.

If someone were to say that they liked One Piece more than Bleach, I'd accept that. Whatever. If they thought it was just better, cool shit breh. I think it's boring as fuck, but I can see the reason some people like it. Naruto, ever since Part 2 happened, has been consistent trash. With inconsistent moments of non-trash made up of three total parts: Shikamaru Arc - Jiraiya Arc - 1st half of Pain arc. Everything else was just "Wtf?" garbage.

No

No matter how many times you say it, naruto can never be "objectively" bad. It's literally Impossible.

I'm wondering though; stat how did you put up with Bleach this year? The fullbring arc was putrid garbage, and the quincy arc started abruptly and had a rocky start. It's only been good recently, but a string of good chapters does not make up for a years worth of garbage. like, when the quincy's first invaded, it was shitty how a bunch of captains "supposedly died" but ended up reviving a few chapters later. You can't defend that, it's almost as bad as Naruto's DBZ wrap up of the pain arc!

(for what its worth, I thought Naruto was decent this year)

Atredeus

Neo Member
yuuko_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5qjvu1.png
eternal_sailor_moon_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5qjvu7.png
maka_soul_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5qjz8r.png
mysteriousgirlfriendx_avatar_by_neoriceisgood-d5qjvue.png

Hooray!... I was honestly wondering how you were going to do this one, and I really don't think you could have gone more badass with it. I'm extremely happy to have (in my opinion) your best work yet. :D

PK Gaming said:
No matter how many times you say it, naruto can never be "objectively" bad. It's literally Impossible.

Leaving my opinion aside, yes it can be. Bad storytelling mechanics, bad art, and bad anything else can make a manga bad. Not saying Naruto has any of these, just saying it's possible for even the big 3 to be "objectively" bad by some critics.

On to real stuffs. Has anyone found it hard to get into Mixim?... I've been powering through Anzai's stuff, and it's all been great. I really enjoyed the similarities between Flame of Recca and MAR, and I could easily have seen MAR stretched out into typically shonen trope-junk, but he did a good job of moving through it. I just haven't been able to enjoy Mixim the same. The characters aren't as deep, the pairings have been obvious from the beginning, and the powers aren't terribly interesting. That said, I'm only 30 chapters in, so hopefully it's all up from here.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No

I'm wondering though; stat how did you put up with Bleach this year? The fullbring arc was putrid garbage, and the quincy arc started abruptly and had a rocky start. It's only been good recently, but a string of good chapters does not make up for a years worth of garbage. like, when the quincy's first invaded, it was shitty how a bunch of captains "supposedly died" but ended up reviving a few chapters later. You can't defend that, it's almost as bad as Naruto's DBZ wrap up of the pain arc!

(for what its worth, I thought Naruto was decent this year)

I personally don't think the Quincy arc is very good at all; pretty much all of it just feels like a totally arbitrary excuse to go through the motions of resolving a series of lingering plot lines such as the Spirit King, etc. and none of it really feels like it has any greater connection to anything else that has happened in the plot so far. Hell, I thought the Fullbringers arc was better than this arc, because at least Aiz3n and Ai2en were trolling the shit out of Ichigo the whole time (i.e. I have some kind of recollection of their characters and what their deal was) I'm actually quite baffled what people like about it beyond the fact that Kubo actually stops to insert plot points rather than just a billion fights without explaining anything.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
When anyone says something is objectively bad, you aren't supposed to take it seriously.

"Objectively [Subjective Quality]" is auto-sarcasm/exaggeration. It's like when you say "well that's your opinion"...come on brehs.

PK Gaming

Hooray!... I was honestly wondering how you were going to do this one, and I really don't think you could have gone more badass with it. I'm extremely happy to have (in my opinion) your best work yet. :D

Leaving my opinion aside, yes it can be. Bad storytelling mechanics, bad art, and bad anything else can make a manga bad. Not saying Naruto has any of these, just saying it's possible for even the big 3 to be "objectively" bad by some critics.

keh

fair enough

I personally don't think the Quincy arc is very good at all; pretty much all of it just feels like a totally arbitrary excuse to go through the motions of resolving a series of lingering plot lines such as the Spirit King, etc. and none of it really feels like it has any greater connection to anything else that has happened in the plot so far. Hell, I thought the Fullbringers arc was better than this arc, because at least Aiz3n and Ai2en were trolling the shit out of Ichigo the whole time (i.e. I have some kind of recollection of their characters and what their deal was) I'm actually quite baffled what people like about it beyond the fact that Kubo actually stops to insert plot points rather than just a billion fights without explaining anything.

Well plot is a good part of it along with seeing characters that we heard about for a long while .
There also the sense of finding out stuff which also makes it more enjoyable .

Who here has read Ghost Sweeper Mikami? It caught my eye as it's quite a long series.

Good series IMO , i thought it was a fun read .
It should be note that the manga is case base but they do add to the overall character development .
I would say if don't like the characters you not going to like it , there also a anime for it but it is old came out in 1993.

EDIT wow the series much older than i thought it was.

Angry Grimace

Well plot is a good part of it along with seeing characters that we heard about for a long while .
There also the sense of finding out stuff which also makes it more enjoyable .

Good series IMO , i thought it was a fun read .

The fact that plot points are being delivered doesn't mean that the context in which they are delivered is any good or that they're delivered in a natural way. There isn't any sensical progression from Aizen to Fullbringers to Ghost Nazis. People rag on Kishimoto for ignoring side characters, but let's not forget Kubo literally made an arc about Ishida's supposedly extinct people and as of yet hasn't even put him in the arc at all. Now, I'm sure he's getting there eventually, but its kind of ridiculous.

When anyone says something is objectively bad, you aren't supposed to take it seriously.

"Objectively [Subjective Quality]" is auto-sarcasm/exaggeration. It's like when you say "well that's your opinion"...come on brehs.

The thing is, I would have assumed this but for the fact that Big One spent pages and pages in MangaGAF arguing why things can be objectively bad and that character development is factual, etc. so nobody knows what to believe anymore.

The fact that plot points are being delivered doesn't mean that the context in which they are delivered is any good or that they're delivered in a natural way. There isn't any sensical progression from Aizen to Fullbringers to Ghost Nazis. People rag on Kishimoto for ignoring side characters, but let's not forget Kubo literally made an arc about Ishida's supposedly extinct people and as of yet hasn't even put him in the arc at all. Now, I'm sure he's getting there eventually, but its kind of ridiculous.

I do agree with what you saying but anything better than fights .

The most relevance he has gotten so far was from a throwaway line some mook blurted out because he couldn't keep his fucking mouth shut LOL

Luckily that line makes things interesting so i will see how Kubo decides to deal with it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Who here has read Ghost Sweeper Mikami? It caught my eye as it's quite a long series.

It's a lot of great fun times. It's never not funny, there's legit character growth and the fights are clever. It's not the whole "my power is higher than yours" shit, the best power in the whole series is sort of like the styles from Medaka Box except much simpler. When it was coming out we'd get like 6 or so chapters a day so that was cool. Definitely worth a read, just be warned that it takes a bit to heat up for some people.

Come on, the ending was fun. Or do you mean that single story after the ending?

The most relevance he has gotten so far was from a throwaway line some mook blurted out because he couldn't keep his fucking mouth shut LOL

Luckily that line makes things interesting so i will see how Kubo decides to deal with it.

What exactly did he say again? I don't remember this at all.

dumbyugi

I don't count that as last the chapter that's a side story that took place before the last 2 chapters lol .

If it had been an omake in the last volume it would have been fine with me, but the fact that it was the last chapter really ticked me off. Of course it doesn't make the rest of the series bad, in fact it's one of my favourites.

If it had been an omake in the last volume it would have been fine with me, but the fact that it was the last chapter really ticked me off. Of course it doesn't make the rest of the series bad, in fact it's one of my favourites.

Yeah I agree i recommended it to few of my friends already , it's a good series to read .

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah I agree i recommended it to few of my friends already , it's a good series to read .

For reals it a lot of fun. We should have like a list of complete manga as suggestions for people to read in the OP. I'm sure we could easily agree on 12 diverse and completed series.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Opie attacks Ichigo. Ichigo deflects/blocks arrow.

Ichigo: Well, huh. Your arrows are a lot stronger than Ishida's.

Opie: You mean Uryu Ishida?

Opie: My arrows, stronger? That's impossible.

Angry Grimace

One of the Quincy mooks dropped a line that Arrowlad's arrows should be super powerful or whatever after Ichigo said the mook's arrows were stronger than Arrowlad's.

For reals it a lot of fun. We should have like a list of complete manga as suggestions for people to read in the OP. I'm sure we could easily agree on 12 diverse and completed series.

That is good idea to tell the truth , a few series that finish that people should try out .
I would suggest Ghost Sweeper Mikami , Nodame Cantabile and few others for certain .

Opie attacks Ichigo. Ichigo deflects/blocks arrow.

Ichigo: Well, huh. Your arrows are a lot stronger than Ishida's.

Opie: You mean Uryu Ishida?

Opie: My arrows, stronger? That's impossible.

Thank you. Then I guess there's no other option other than Uryu being involved with them, which makes his father's position even more interesting.

Or the Ishida family is Quincy royalty or some shit, so Opie was just surprised Uryuu would be weak.

The same was thought about Ichigo, but why would they both be on earth with their fathers? I think we know Isshin's reason, but Ryuken's still pretty much in the dark.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That is good idea to tell the truth , a few series that finish that people should try out .
I would suggest Ghost Sweeper Mikami , Nodame Cantabile and few others for certain .

Something like Kenshin or YYH would be a safe choice (but we probably want less well known choices). Angel Densetsu is great. Ushio and Tora was fun too.

Angry Grimace

Or the Ishida family is Quincy royalty or some shit, so Opie was just surprised Uryuu would be weak.

Sounds like bullshit just to retcon Ishida into being on par with Ichigo when its been established from the beginning that he a shitty Worf just like Renji and every other character that isn't Ichigo or a Captain.

Slayven

Shouldn't the "Boot up" be mirrored, so the silly man in red can read it? Or is that supposed to be a warning for the enemy, so he can surrender between the moment it shows and the moment he dies, which is probably like less than a second? So he can't even surrender? Isn't that against human rights? Are you saying you're against human rights?

And what is it with the explosions? Are they made of petrol? Do the enemies in Avatar and Korra explode as well?

Why are you always watching the bad stuff, man? I just want the best for you. We all do.

tumblr_m7aj2ukp1n1rpgs10o1_500.png

squall23

Alright GAF, I've been going around various places for recommendations and they all gave different answers, now I'm going to ask here.

I need a happy manga. I need Mahoraba levels of happiness. No major conflicts, a major background story is OK but nothing like "oh I'm poor as dirt" or "I have a terminal illness", great characters, funny, and most obviously a feeling of positivity during the entire manga.

Mahoraba was just plain amazing.

Alright GAF, I've been going around various places for recommendations and they all gave different answers, now I'm going to ask here.

I need a happy manga. I need Mahoraba levels of happiness. No major conflicts, a major background story is OK but nothing like "oh I'm poor as dirt" or "I have a terminal illness", great characters, funny, and most obviously a feeling of positivity during the entire manga.

Yotsuba
Aqua then Aria

Yotsuba

survivor

Banned

Yotsuba
Ryushika Ryushika

Solune

Sure I love SoL, Minami-ke was amazing and amazing.
By the way if I'm allowed a different suggestion, you and Banana should totally team up and do Kyou Kara Ore Wa
Good to see you enjoyed Minami ke =3
About Smutterfly Effect? Or the avatar? :x

Manga adaptations let me get a game character! LOOPHOLES!

The avatar of course, it's fortunate I didn't have to ... close your loop.

Hmmm that's not making it easier. Guess I'll both watch and read the equivalents to decide... IN THE FUTURE!
We can watch together! I just finished Spice and Wolf S1& S2 two nights ago. =/
Bros who read Medaka Box, explain this shit to me:

please
Japan, NisiOisiN, etc.
One Punch-Man Ch. 20

Murata's facial expressions are still great as ever and Saitama is the sword-chomping C-Rank hero every bustling city needs,
but doesn't deserve
Ultimabro, welcome!

No excuse now Slothbro, you have to do this now.

Yotsuba
Azumanga Daioh
Koganeiro

edit: We need more Azumanga Daioh fans in this thread.

dumbyugi

Yotsuba&
Azumanga Daioh
Aqua/Aria
G-maru Edition
Onidere

wonzo

Banned

Goodnigh
Youtsuba
Azumanga Daioh
Ryushika Ryushika
Koganeiro

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Bleach problems started when Soul Society became the good guys, also Kubo started introducing characters by the fuckload and the manga turned into a mess.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
One Piece problems started when the manga started and Oda started introducing characters by the fuckload and the manga turned into a giant mess.

Angry Grimace

Naruto problems started when Kishimoto started writing it.

amidoingitrite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom