• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think FI had to much subplots , Punk Hazard on the hand had to much and was to long for a set up arc .

Fishman Island had the Fisher Tiger stuff, the Queen, Reverie, the prophecy of Luffy destroying the island, Vander Decken, Caribou, another prophecy about the Noah, and the Ancient Weapon Poseidon. Most of that stuff was crammed in just to foreshadow later events. There was no reason for Shirley to be related to Arlong but for some reason Oda felt it necessary to add that connection.

Nudull

Banned
Hm, I've been meaning to catch up and get into more manga, Naruto and OP in particular, although I'm ridiculously behind on the latter, and I've more or less fallen out on Bleach after the Soul Society arc, so I'm still interested in shonen works, but I'm certainly not against anything different than the usual. Care to reccomend a few, mangagaf?

Also, Neorice, your sprite icons are amazing. I'd love to get one, as well. :)

No one does that.

Lighthearted fun that gets repetitive after 10 minutes and then simply boring and pretty ugly "cosmetic design", yes.

Are you talking about very specific things like Miis here?

Cause the cosmetic design in games like Mario Galaxy, Skyward Sword etc is definitely not ugly. The resolution's shit but the design's solid as all everything.

Also, Neorice, your sprite icons are amazing. I'd love to get one, as well. :)

Got a char in mind?

survivor

Banned
Hm, I've been meaning to catch up and get into more manga, Naruto and OP in particular, although I'm ridiculously behind on the latter, and I've more or less fallen out on Bleach after the Soul Society arc, so I'm still interested in shonen works, but I'm certainly not against anything different than the usual. Care to reccomend a few, mangagaf?
Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is one of the best battle shounen manga

Never seen it to be honest.
Related, I'm glad to see that Punpun is relatively popular in France.
I was watching bunch of French reviews for the Punpun on youtube. Not that I understood anything outside of few random words, but I just liked seeing people flip through the manga lol

Fishman Island had the Fisher Tiger stuff, the Queen, Reverie, the prophecy of Luffy destroying the island, Vander Decken, Caribou, and another prophecy about the Noah. Most of that stuff was crammed in just to foreshadow later events.

That might be so but unlike Punk Hazard all them were not going on the same time .
Reading FI in vol format the sub plots were deal with one after another so the pacing much better and they don't seem to be so many at once .
The same can't be said for Punk Hazard plus some of FI subplots were just few words that had no effect on the arc pacing .

Wiseblade

Most of the reasons to have on fake anime like Avatar are valid, though. Just look at Wiseblade's gifs. Terrible, every single one of them.

idzWv0YVQA6J9.gif

Mr. Fix

The thing with Deflamingo is it´s early for him to fight Luffy and co. Luffy has already declared war on Big Mom. Sure Luffy will fight them all eventually, but sending all big shots at the beginning of the new world does not seem wise to me. The war with big Mom, if it ever happens, will be in a few years, a la fishmen island announcement in water 7, which means that the war will happen in a few years because all of the obstacles. Luffy defeating Big Mom in his first major battle in the new world will throw the whole world in chaos, and it would be great seeing how the new world reacts, and how the other emperors would react. One would say Emperors>shishibukai in strength, but we only know about WhiteBeard and BalckBeard strength. Besides Daflamingo has a bigger role in the story than Big Mom since he runs the whole illegal underground industry. Deflaminga might not lose now, but unless he finishes off Law, or the SH, than his attack will not mean anything.

(fuck yeah, actual discussion!)

Is it too early? Absolutely. Though I find nothing wrong with hyping it up early on. It's better than having it come out of the blue, that's for sure. In retrospect, I liked the subtle building up to the Marineford War. As for Big Mom, again, I'm still not sure if Luffy will actually beat her or if their fight will come to a conclusion. Some aspects of OP are pretty obvious, so who knows what may happen with Lola's vivre card- assuming BM is her mother.

I'm also not sure about Emperors being stronger than all the Warlords. Sure they're powerful, but I doubt they're the absolute strongest. For BM and maybe Kaido, I assume it's an influential/worship sort of hiearchy, resulting in a huge ass crew. There's still Doflamingo and Mihawk, and one of the greatest things about the OP-verse is that it comes down to match-ups as well as not always having obvious power levels. Enel and Crocodile, even to this day are still formidable opponents. Taking DBZ (Frieza, Cell, etc.)/Akatsuki and damn near everyone else in Naruto for example, they've all fallen off the wagon of who appears to be strong. There's a level of consistency in unpredictable power levels in OP.

But yeah, it's still too early for Doflamingo to get taken down. I expect Law to get hit hard with his arrival though. There needs to be repercussions after the shenanigans Law/Luffy pulled in this arc.

Is it too early? Absolutely. Though I find nothing wrong with hyping it up early on. It's better than having it come out of the blue, that's for sure. In retrospect, I liked the subtle building up to the Marineford War. As for Big Mom, again, I'm still not sure if Luffy will actually beat her or if their fight will come to a conclusion. Some aspects of OP are pretty obvious, so who knows what may happen with Lola's vivre card- assuming BM is her mother.

I'm also not sure about Emperors being stronger than all the Warlords. Sure they're powerful, but I doubt they're the absolute strongest. For BM and maybe Kaido, I assume it's an influential/worship sort of hiearchy, resulting in a huge ass crew. There's still Doflamingo and Mihawk, and one of the greatest things about the OP-verse is that it comes down to match-ups as well as not always having obvious power levels. Enel and Crocodile, even to this day are still formidable opponents. Taking DBZ (Frieza, Cell, etc.)/Akatsuki and damn near everyone else in Naruto for example, they've all fallen off the wagon of who appears to be strong. There's a level of consistency in unpredictable power levels in OP.

But yeah, it's still too early for Doflamingo to get taken down. I expect Law to get hit hard with his arrival though. There needs to be repercussions after the shenanigans Law/Luffy pulled in this arc.

I expect Doflamingo to go down before Big Mom , Oda might change it up still that is what i expect to happen .
Taking down a Emperor has much bigger effect on the story and it much harder to do .
What makes the Emperors so dangerous is there large crew and allies the SH going to need help to take out one so early in the story .

Gradivus

I expect Doflamingo to go down before Big Mom , Oda might change it up still that is what i expect to happen .
Taking down a Emperor has much bigger effect on the story and it much harder to do .
What makes the Emperors so dangerous is there large crew and allies the SH going to need help to take out one so early in the story .

Its a bit hard to tell with Doflamingo, he was pretty much one of the only Shichibukai that always blabbed on about the changes of the era that he was looking forward to (as well as all his dirty work behind the scenes). Pretty much hinting that he is gonna to be an end game player compared to most of the others in that group.

I mean Hawkeye is pretty easy to guess he going to be close to end of the story due to his background with Zoro. Not too sure about Kuma, maybe he might have a fight against a now upgraded Franky in a Vegapunk arc?

Yea it seems the game plan in the new world is alliances and shit with the emperors doing it the most (next is the shibukai/world goverment). If you don't choose a side and go to attack them on your own you are in deep shit (look what happened to Kid after these 2 years and iirc its due to him feuding with Kaido).

It seems the supernovas are trying to come together and topple one of them (so it will be enough to shake up shit) but their efforts of teaming up seem to be hampered by their egos at the moment (Kid vs Apoo vs the Fortune Teller guy as an example).

Kusagari

My general feeling is that Doflamingo will be a Crocodile like villain and the next few arcs will probably be smaller and segue into his. And then Big Mom will be afterward.

It's hard to say though considering he's racing toward the Straw Hats right now. I really didn't expect that.

I really doubt that Law would die in this arc. There´s still Luffy´s heart that´s still in question, and weather Law has done something funny to it. Deflamingo is too important to lose now, but there´s 2 crew against him. We have not even seen Law´s crew. Deflamingo is powerful but i doubt he can best both crews by himself.
Bolded: that´s exaclty the point. Taking an emperor now would throw the whole world in chaos.

As far as more difficult to take down an emperor, we don´t know that. Deflamingo has infiltrated the marines, and provably every Younkou, shishibukai, and the rebels. Who knows. The matter of the facts are

1- Deflamingo is much more important to the story than Big Mom and therefore he should not go down before her.
2- He is the boss of the underground so he has allies everywhere as we have seem with CC and the slave trade etc...., so he is formidable and has powerful allies in power. Not to mention that marine who talked to Deflamingo and Deflamingo says that he will do what he wants. Make no mistake Deflamingo has powerful allies.

I honestly don't think donflamingo will do much to the crew since they have some decent plot armor now but will focusing on dealing with the Cesar issue (either getting him back or taking him out since both will mess up Law's plan a bit) and maybe add a bit of destruction of evidence (aka the island) since monet failed.

Gradivus

I honestly don't think donflamingo will do much to the crew since they have some decent plot armor now but will focusing on dealing with the Cesar issue (either getting him back or taking him out since both will mess up Law's plan a bit) and maybe add a bit of destruction of evidence (aka the island) since monet failed.

Well its a bit strange with Franky being the only crewmember outside now with Buffalo, Baby 5 and Caeser, especially after Caeser shown interest in capturing him for his laser system. Maybe he will try and convince Doflamingo to help with that, just a random theory.

As far as more difficult to take down an emperor, we don´t know that. Deflamingo has infiltrated the marines, and provably every Younkou, shishibukai, and the rebels. Who knows. The matter of the facts are

1- Deflamingo is much more important to the story than Big Mom and therefore he should not go down before her.
2- He is the boss of the underground so he has allies everywhere as we have seem with CC and the slave trade etc...., so he is formidable and has powerful allies in power. Not to mention that marine who talked to Deflamingo and Deflamingo says that he will do what he wants. Make no mistake Deflamingo has powerful allies.

We do know it more difficult it took the marines and warlords just to take down one emperor and he was sick and dying old man .
Another came and done the war just by talking .

Also explain to me how Doflamingo is more important to the story than some who rules islands and the WG has not been able to do anything about for years.
Doflamingo getting beat would hurt the underground and WG would have to look for a new warlord since some of his power comes from that .
Big Mom getting beat changes the whole OP world .

You want to talk about facts but the facts are Emperors have more influence than Warlords in the OP world .

Ultimadrago

One Punch-Man Ch. 20

Murata's facial expressions are still great as ever and Saitama is the sword-chomping C-Rank hero every bustling city needs,
but doesn't deserve

Well its a bit strange with Franky being the only crewmember outside now with Buffalo, Baby 5 and Caeser, especially after Caeser shown interest in capturing him for his laser system. Maybe he will try and convince Doflamingo to help with that, just a random theory.

Eh he might not even remember given his life is on the line and he needs protection but that would be interesting if that somehow returned. LOL

Also explain to me how Doflamingo is more important to the story than some who rules islands and the WG has not been able to do anything about for years.
Doflamingo getting beat would hurt the underground and WG would have to look for a new warlord since some of his power comes from that .

The thing Doflamingo seems to have right now is the possiblity of a closer link to the World Goverment given the talk he gave before getting rid of (?) Moria. IIRC someone here made a theory of being the relative of one of them, which sounds interesting.

Akito

GE - Good Ending 156 (end)
It turns out the problems were solved within the last chapter already, this is an epilogue with everyone being so goddamn happy it's disgusting. Now if only KNIM would come to an end already.

GE - Good Ending 156 (end)
It turns out the problems were solved within the last chapter already, this is an epilogue with everyone being so goddamn happy it's disgusting. Now if only KNIM would come to an end already.

So even that girl everyone was hoping (in vain i might add) would have been with the MC is happy? What happened

We do know it more difficult it took the marines and warlords just to take down one emperor and he was sick and dying old man .
Another came and done the war just by talking .

WhiteBeard was the strongest man in the world and not just an emperor. He demolished Akainu, BlackBeard and the whole damn island.

As have proven the marines have enough power to take each and every individual emperor out. The don´t do that because that would screw up the balance. Besides it´s better having 4 people responsilbe for massive lands than many people who fight and war against each other to grab land or money or slave etc.... The yonkou are a force of stability and that´s why the WG did not do anything about them.

Deflamingo is more important because he already played part of it. He has under world connections, developing artificial DF, and having a high ranking marines as an ally, responsible for the slave trade. Big Mom has not done anything at all except wanting candy from various islands. So you tell me how Big Mom can compare to Deflamingo as an important part of the story.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I watched the Pain Invasion and Confining the Jinchuuriki (or however you spell it) arcs animated, and they were better than I remember when I read those in the manga.

Well, Pain Invasion arc was fuckawesome already in the manga but, aside from the ridiculously silly Kyuubi vs Pain fight, to me the anime did a better job with it. Hinata's appearance for instance had more build up and it didn't give that sensation of coming from nowhere like it did in the manga, it was also handled a lot better in the anime.

These recent chapters in the anime will probably not be as cringeworthy because the Konoha 11 get a lot more screen time in the anime (thanks to fillers and added scenes not in the manga).

Pain is still Kishimoto's best designed villain, such a fucking badass and I absolutely love how he was coldblooded when it came to killing people. He should have been end-game villain, not these fucking Uchihas. His motive to me was a lot more interesting than Obito's lame friendzoned motive.

The thing Doflamingo seems to have right now is the possiblity of a closer link to the World Goverment given the talk he gave before getting rid of (?) Moria. IIRC someone here made a quip about him maybe being the relative of one of them.

Still don't change want i said even if he link to a World Noble \ WG and we get some back story about that .
The WG forces are the marines and they have not been able to do anything about Emperors .

survivor

Banned
The Rose of Versailles vol 1
e7dfT.jpg

Ah, French political court drama at its finest. The art style looks a lot sillier and comical for what would be a tragic manga. I also still prefer the anime's character designs over the manga. Every character looks so chubby and not fabulous enough in the manga.

There was shit ton of footnotes in this volume and I'm actually not sure if most of them are comments by the author or the translator. Most of them were French history lessons and explanations of certain customs or words so I didn't mind them that much.

Lirlond

Welcome to ManGAF. Leave your dignity and your pride by the door. Get ready for screaming matches between our resident children ;p

Shouta

I watched the Pain Invasion and Confining the Jinchuuriki (or however you spell it) arcs animated, and they were better than I remember when I read those in the manga.

Well, Pain Invasion arc was fuckawesome already in the manga but, aside from the ridiculously silly Kyuubi vs Pain fight, to me the anime did a better job with it. Hinata's appearance for instance had more build up and it didn't give that sensation of coming from nowhere like it did in the manga, it was also handled a lot better in the anime.

These recent chapters in the anime will probably not be as cringeworthy because the Konoha 11 get a lot more screen time in the anime (thanks to fillers and added scenes not in the manga).

That's one of the big pluses for the anime renditions, when done properly they can make the scenes far more poignant or interesting. The Naruto anime has always been really good about getting a lot of action in for the characters that Kishimoto has neglected

That's one of the big pluses for the anime renditions, when done properly they can make the scenes far more poignant or interesting. The Naruto anime has always been really good about getting a lot of action in for the characters that Kishimoto has neglected

Minato and Kushina's sacrifice to me is the pinnacle of Shippuden goodness.

I highly doubt it's going to be topped, anytime soon if ever.

Korosenai

We still dont even know doflamingos devil fruit abilities yet. He can control people like puppets, slice off peoples limbs with ease, and now fly. Awesome character and i cant wait to see him go crazy on punk hazard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom