• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News |OT7| This thread gets an F-; I quit; see you next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shonen fans reliably believe that a character existing and then showing up again is foreshadowing.

Yes, but One Piece fans are far worse with that.

Think back of the time after the time skip, when Oda introduced the terrible redesigns of the already terrible looking characters. We saw Sanji's other eyebrow for the first time. Then someone remembered the scene where Sanji talked to Mr 2 on the den den mushi and the eyebrow was curled in the same direction.

OMG GODA THE FORESHADOWING MASTER

Yeah.

Nichijou has some of the worst anatomy for mangas I've seen. The anime however...

nchij_e20_p3.gif

Manga foreshadowing is almost never real foreshadowing

7 Seeds does some good ones.

Shouta

AKB49 - Ch 100

I got Vol. 11 which is up to Ch 94 but I needed to know what happens after so I'm reading the poor raws. However, I want these whiteboard magnets at the start of this chapter. The Takamina one is adorable. Fuck, I want them all.

Also, I'm loving that they're integrating Maeda actually leaving the group into the story.

Azure J

Girls of The Wilds 72 further confirming that Moon Young is Mai Waifu tier. Although Queen is the one character that's blah (mostly because of her demeanor and no real development on her end), I'm wondering what this new development will lead to. It's definitely her turn now though.

You guys really take Defending Your Flag/Capturing The Flag from other members of the Big 3 seriously.

Foreshadowing isn't really rocket science so I don't get what's so complicated about it.

it's just a hint at future events, any writer that plans ahead can pretty much do it.

Yep.

Also seriously, saying that Manga ______ isnt real ______ is looking down on the art form. While it's true most of shounen works are equivalent to Michael Bay movies there are some really compelling work out there.

Foreshadowing isn't really rocket science so I don't get what's so complicated about it.

it's just a hint at future events, any writer that plans ahead can pretty much do it.

Hell, even Toriyama Foreshadowed as much as he was making shit up, there was *some* form of planning and plot

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Everything foreshadows to a certain extent. Tobi being Obito was heavily foreshadowed, it's how everyone figured it out so quick. As was Ichigo's dad being a shinigami. Jinbei was as well, his title (knight of the sea) pretty much told everyone he'd be a cool guy. Foreshadowing isn't a complicated thing in the slightest, it's just a matter of not overdoing it.

Yep.

Also seriously, saying that Manga ______ isnt real ______ is looking down on the art form. While it's true most of shounen works are equivalent to Michael Bay movies there are some really compelling work out there.

Well it's not like Manga is only shonen anyway they always going to have the equivalent to Michael Bay movies in most forms of media .

789shadow

Banned
God, Doflamingo had better be amazing, I can't take the smugness of the Bleach guys who fail to forget that Bleach is still trash.

God, Doflamingo had better be amazing, I can't take the smugness of the Bleach guys who fail to forget that Bleach is still trash.

That really not going to matter , people like what they like .
I hope that all 3 are awesome since i spend my time reading them every week and to far gone to stop now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Then what would you call it then? Retcons that conveniently lie up with past plot points?
No, I'm saying it can occur, but most fans of shonen pieces legitimately don't understand what foreshadowing is and attribute any consistent characterization/plot elements to foreshadowing, e.g. they believe a character existing and then showing up again is foreshadowing.

upandaway

Alright GAF, I've been going around various places for recommendations and they all gave different answers, now I'm going to ask here.

I need a happy manga. I need Mahoraba levels of happiness. No major conflicts, a major background story is OK but nothing like "oh I'm poor as dirt" or "I have a terminal illness", great characters, funny, and most obviously a feeling of positivity during the entire manga.

Mahoraba was just plain amazing.
In addition to what else everyone said

Minami-ke

(wait so no one is in on this one? what the hell)

Madao

Who here has read Ghost Sweeper Mikami? It caught my eye as it's quite a long series.

i watched the anime waaaaaay back in 1999 when it aired in my country (i still have the episoes in VHS tapes somewhere).
the way it ended hinted at a second season and i was interested but i got very sad when i found out many years later that it was never continued and that the anime covers just a fraction of the overall series. i haven't read the manga but i might get into that one day when i'm too bored and clear my backlogs. i also have some hope that someone will do a new anime someday (with the latest revivals of old series and remakes, this hope is getting bigger)

upandaway

Stat man I like your opinions and you're a good guy but I feel like if I support any of your recent actions, I'll be indirectly advocating you not making more PTTs

With the exception of Yotsuba I was just suggesting completed series, otherwise I would have totally said Minami-ke.
You are good guy.

The World God Only Knows

Every time I try to read this manga and get into it... I reach the Librarian and stop at the end of her story... It is the best interaction between two in a Manga, the way he gets her to react is so funny and makes her a very adorable character, I started reading again 2 hours ago I hope I can at least grind through it this time to catch up in this manga.

Every time I've tried to get to this goddess arc I have failed to get beyond the Librarian not sure why I get stuck or sidetracked but she is the on that really makes me want to find out if and when she shows up again and her role.

Come on Anti-hero Aizen.
That would be amazing, and he will be back.
Stop being overly defensive about other people's opinions.
And you need to stop defending one piece fanboys, and stop accepting everything they state as a fact.
Then shanks came and made Akainu stop when no one else could .
Also it has not been proven that the marines can take out the emperors one by one hell they need the Warlords , huge amount of marines , a hostage and certain battlefield just to beat one .
And he was sick along with all of that .
They don't do anything to the Emperors because they can't you can only have a balance if the forces are about the same in power .

Big Mom just being a Emperor means she is important to story what happens to them influence the OP world .
If Doflamingo loses CC he won't even be able to make artificial DF any more which is the main reason why he so important right now.
Half the stuff you mention Emperors don't have to care about but just to give you a eg if Big Mom get beats Luffy is going to have to put a FI under his protection .
Utterly false. The only one who stopped the war was Sengoku. Even though Shanks was there Akainu, Kizaru, and Aokiji tried to kill Luffy. Which shows that they don´t give a shit about Yonku.

And no the trap was only set for Whitebeard, and no one else in this manga compared to his strength. Big Mom is not as important as Deflamingo. And as a matter of fact the marines only prepared the war against Whitebeard because he was the strongest man in the world, and the biggest threat. Artificial DF is very important to the story since it distort the balance of powers and the world. Big Mom has done nothing to the story. FYI not every shishibukai is important to the story. Not every emperor will be as impostant as Deflamingo to the story either.
Good god, Bleach needs to do something abominably shitty to counter these Bleach fans getting cocky.
You, and one piece hardcore fans are the last people who should criticize other fans. Especially when you and others consider one piece to be a literary brilliant novel written by the best author ever existed in the universe. Yeah, you are one of the last people who should talk about other fandom.
Ain't nothing funny breh.

Naruto is OBJECTIVELY bad. Part 2, that is. Part 2 of Naruto is absolute garbage. There were a couple of good moments; that's all. Compared to part 1?

If we were speaking strictly part 1, then maybe you'd have a point, but no, Naruto isn't even close to Bleach right now.

If someone were to say that they liked One Piece more than Bleach, I'd accept that. Whatever. If they thought it was just better, cool shit breh. I think it's boring as fuck, but I can see the reason some people like it. Naruto, ever since Part 2 happened, has been consistent trash. With inconsistent moments of non-trash made up of three total parts: Shikamaru Arc - Jiraiya Arc - 1st half of Pain arc. Everything else was just "Wtf?" garbage.
When you say shit like the bolded i automatically relegate you to big one status of not being taken seriously.
Don't forget all the shitty humor in the last couple chapters.
Highly subjective. I found the humor funny.

The World God Only Knows

Every time I try to read this manga and get into it... I reach the Librarian and stop at the end of her story... It is the best interaction between two in a Manga, the way he gets her to react is so funny and makes her a very adorable character, I started reading again 2 hours ago I hope I can at least grind through it this time to catch up in this manga.

Every time I've tried to get to this goddess arc I have failed to get beyond the Librarian not sure why I get stuck or sidetracked but she is the on that really makes me want to find out if and when she shows up again and her role.

She does, so just keep going.

Leaving my opinion aside, yes it can be. Bad storytelling mechanics, bad art, and bad anything else can make a manga bad. Not saying Naruto has any of these, just saying it's possible for even the big 3 to be "objectively" bad by some critics.

All of those that you mentioned are highly subjective. There is no such thing as objectively bad.

The fact that plot points are being delivered doesn't mean that the context in which they are delivered is any good or that they're delivered in a natural way. There isn't any sensical progression from Aizen to Fullbringers to Ghost Nazis. People rag on Kishimoto for ignoring side characters, but let's not forget Kubo literally made an arc about Ishida's supposedly extinct people and as of yet hasn't even put him in the arc at all. Now, I'm sure he's getting there eventually, but its kind of ridiculous.
The quincies are a very natural progression and have been since the beginning of Bleach. We know how dangerous they are from the very beginning. There´s also the fact that the quincy/shinigami war has been mentioned very early on, and the repercussion if the quincies were not stopped. The arc is not over yet, and the Ishidas will play an important role in it. The Fullbring arc was supposed to be about Chad. It explained his powers, but was relegated into persona none grata in his own arc.

Calling Naruto bad is subjective yes, because the only things you can really point at are fans being disappointed about the story or characters not doing what they predicted or story going where they wished the story would go.

A manga is still a book the plot can only go where the Author indeeds it to go.

She does, so just keep going.

yeah I want to I think the first few times I got turned off by the whole lost of memory thing but each girl seem to run from him blushing anyway so its not complete memory loss

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
This is what happens when we don't get the Big 3 for a while.

@upandawaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Once I get my new computer built, I'll have a PTT in time for the 3rd week of January. First of 2013, YEA BOI.

Shouta

AKB49 - CH 113

Shounen Heart has arrived in full force. Here comes that superpower and the next level of opponents to defeat. =o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom