• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

flawfuls

After School Nightmare

OS1Ge.gif

upandaway

Hungry Joker (oneshot)

So MC is basically a kid who just invented solutions to all his problems, because he'd die if he didn't.

See, it was always this simple! All those others who died, pfft, silly people. Can't even cure cancer.

Setting could, uh, use some work. A lot of some work.

scy

Hajimete no Aku, through Volume 7 -

3YJX5.jpg

best girl is best

Edit: I should've waited actually, there's better shots later. Yuki is bestest.

Thinking about reading Hitman Reborn as I found myself liking the volume covers. I've read it hear and there.

Er honest opinions? preface, I read the big 3 on the regular.

scy

Hajimete no Aku, Volume 8 - Did this really just have some relationship developments? Oh who am I kidding, Volume 9 will start with a way to set it back despite c78 promising something :(

Edit: Okay, nevermind:

UcHiz.png

Worth it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Fate/stay night

Decent adaptation that follows the Unlimited Blade Works route (which happens to be my favorite). Art could be better... they should have gotten the same artist who did the Tsukihime manga, but otherwise it's a good read so far if you've seen the anime or played the game.

lordmrw

I really need to get ahead on my website updates so I can start reading new manga series. Its almost a second job at this point and I only keep up with my long term series.

upandaway

TWGOK

Oh man that sure feels like final destination city. It's even next to the enemy super stronghold.

Feels like a climax of a dating sim, hohoho (hohohohoho (haha!)).

Thinking about reading Hitman Reborn as I found myself liking the volume covers. I've read it hear and there.

Er honest opinions? preface, I read the big 3 on the regular.

In case you don't know, it's a typical slice of life comedy for about 80 chapters before going battle series.

Quality-wise, it's up and down. The 2nd arc post-genre shift is pretty good, but the one after that lasts way too long and is marred by wasted potential. It's gotten a lot better since then though and has some very interesting ideas even if the execution isn't always perfect. You could give it a shot.

Mostly the guitar pick, what it is supposed to mean, and what you think the girls "strategy" is.

The guitar pick is a callback to the second Chihiro arc, specifically Chapter 163 when Keima suggested that they bring matching items to the festival eve for good luck. Chihiro gave him her old guitar pick for this purpose. When she clings to him in this chapter, her hand touches his breast pocket on page 12, where she feels the pick. She then distracts him by tickling him in order to retrieve the pick and confirm her suspicions: Keima kept her gift all along. This obviously rouses old feelings and makes her wonder how he truly feels about her.

It's not clear what the strategy refers to yet, I expect that's a reveal being saved for the next chapter. If I had to guess, I'd postulate that Ayumi and Chihiro put their heads together when they were alone at Miyako's house and set a reverse trap for Keima to get him to be earnest for once.

upandaway

Mostly the guitar pick, what it is supposed to mean, and what you think the girls "strategy" is.
The guitar pick is that thing. Y'know, that thing that happened at that time. There's even a short panel flashback in the chapter when she holds it.

edit: dangit ignis, but my explanation is way more concrete

The guitar pick is a callback to the second Chihiro arc, specifically Chapter 163 when Keima suggested that they bring matching items to the festival eve for good luck. Chihiro gave him her old guitar pick for this purpose. When she clings to him in this chapter, her hand touches his breast pocket on page 12, where she feels the pick. She then distracts him by tickling him in order to retrieve the pick and confirm her suspicions: Keima kept her pick all along. This obviously rouses old feelings and makes her wonder how he truly feels about her.
Huh? I thought it was just her realizing that he dumped her cruelly for a reason other than having the heart temperature of -20c. Not that she thinks he feels anything for her or anything.

Azure J

Beelzebub 151 & 152

Oh man, Beel's harem. :lol

More Toujou is always a good thing too.

Yamada

Ehh... Well we can all see the girl becoming "nakama" after this event. Man, this is so easy to read. :lol

Huh? I thought it was just her realizing that he dumped her cruelly for a reason other than having the heart temperature of -20c. Not that she thinks he feels anything for her or anything.

She just got done cuddling him for over a dozen panels, that's a clear indication of where her head is right now. She's confused. When you see her look at him on Page 16 she's clearly got some unspoken questions. This is now officially a subplot that will demand resolution sooner or later.

Solune

One of us.

Nurarihyon no Mago 198

Quite a transformation from Yura, not only did she got stronger also she got hotter. And I laughed at Nura comment abou her.
The best types of transformations.
TWGOK

Oh man that sure feels like final destination city. It's even next to the enemy super stronghold.

Feels like a climax of a dating sim, hohoho (hohohohoho (haha!)).

Oh you, we don't play filth like eroge, we follow the king of galge.

In case you don't know, it's a typical slice of life comedy for about 80 chapters before going battle series.

Quality-wise, it's up and down. The 2nd arc post-genre shift is pretty good, but the one after that lasts way too long and is marred by wasted potential. It's gotten a lot better since then though and has some very interesting ideas even if the execution isn't always perfect. You could give it a shot.

Hmm...80 chs of slice of life stuff? I think I'll give it a go

TWGOK

Chihiro is the final boss.

You'll see.

Unless something changes I believe the only options are a harem end, Ayumi, Tenri, Haqua, or Chihiro as the dark horse. They each have something going for them which would make them appropriate from a narrative perspective. Chihiro has the advantage of being the realest girl and therefore a perfect foil for Keima and a potential symbol for the conclusion of his character arc. She also fell in love with him completely naturally, to a degree unmatched by the other candidates.

But I'd still take Ayumi or even Tenri over Chihiro. Their arguments are stronger.

El Sloth

Banned
Unless something changes I believe the only options are a harem end, Ayumi, Tenri, Haqua, or Chihiro as the dark horse. They each have something going for them which would make them appropriate from a narrative perspective. Chihiro has the advantage of being the realest girl and therefore a perfect foil for Keima and a potential symbol for the conclusion of his character arc. She also fell in love with him completely naturally, to a degree unmatched by the other candidates.

But I'd still take Ayumi or even Tenri over Chihiro. Their arguments are stronger.
I see why you bring up there being a harem end, but for some reason I can't see that being a satisfying ending for TWGOK. I can't really back that up with anything though. I just feel like Chihiro has the most personality out of all the other girls, except for maybe Haqua, and therefore she's the most interesting one to watch interact with Keima. At least for me anyways.

Personally I'd choose Chihiro and Tenri over Ayumi. For pure selfish reasons with no basis in reality (Well, except for Tenri. I actually think she's going to end up being the legit final boss).
But Chihiro's already captured.
Stop trying to bring me down, man.

She can always be recaptured. After all there are new circumstances and shit.
Nope, Elsie will be the final boss.
I forgot she was even existed.

She's about as much as possibility as Keima's mom in my opinion.

JoJo Part 2 END

Being immortal, he [Cars] does not die; however he is unable to return to Earth after being thrown out of orbit. Trapped in the void of space for eternity, he eventually stops thinking and desires death.

Damn :lol

Solune

TWGOK 185 - Yup, I got nothing to add besides dat Ayumi. Yup.

I had to check out the chapter and yes, dat Yura.

Maybe I should actually catch up!
That's cheap / cheating! I don't even think gunbo(RIP) would have the audacity to fast forward for glimpses.
I forgot she was even existed.

She's about as much as possibility as Keima's mom in my opinion.

Ice cold.

Real question, are the people rooting for Elsie into incest or what? Because that's basically what it would be in terms of character interaction.

It's a shame stuff like ST&RS is cancelled while for some reason Bakuman is still around.
EDIT: That should be a meta-plot. Saving the manga in a manga while working on a manga.

Whenever I see any cruel death in any fiction I immediately think about this guy. And he was such a normal villain, too. He doesn't deserve that.

Normal? Douche bag offed his kind because he wanted to expand their space on the food chain when for centuries everyone was cool with it. I mean sure he wasn't super insane but he got his just desserts even if they are super out there.

upandaway

It's a shame stuff like ST&RS is cancelled while for some reason Bakuman is still around.
EDIT: That should be a meta-plot. Saving the manga in a manga while working on a manga.
If it makes you feel better Bakuman is looking sort of likely to end soon (I just noticed the next cancellation batch comes right at the timing of when Bakuman has enough chapters for a new volume, and there's a rumor that 3 series will end in this batch)

Normal? Douche bag offed his kind because he wanted to expand their space on the food chain when for centuries everyone was cool with it. I mean sure he wasn't super insane but he got his just desserts even if they are super out there.
There's been worse! And they all died properly!

TWGOK I genuinly love this manga, after sitting through some of the later chapters I'm thinking I'll officially raise it's status in my appreciation list. If I'm not mistaken that'd make it my 2nd fav manga.

Really liking the progress and interactions, I'm getting that "need to know what happens" next fibe again. TWGOK is really good at that.

Bakuman There was something strange to this chapter, like a sickening nostalgia you find when reflecting on the comfort of earlier years and adventures and how a change you've looked foreward to is in some ways, scary and an unconfortable shift from the life you've grown to love and know.

Obviously there's no way Bakuman's gonna play the romance arc in a negative daylight, but I can't help but get a bittersweet feeling from this chapter. Don't quite understand it myself.

upandaway

No no no no

Skiing isn't a sport, it's a method of torture.

Bakuman

Can someone explain to me how they could possibly make the anime of Reversi last a year? I've never heard of an anime that keeps it 1:1 when the manga's already finished. Is that even possible? //had to find something

Anyway that's Eiji done and everything done, and they didn't even resort to a complete pack of all the volumes like with FMA.
Also this chapter was clearly a setup for a montage after the proposal and wedding. It was partly montage-ic itself too.

I dunno man, seems like an ending.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
World Embryo

Started reading this one out of the blue and it's quite good. Chapter 74 raw just came out and the main character is finally getting his second power up. Took long enough, but still cool nonetheless. I kind of wish this was a weekly series though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom