• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Averon

Naruto

I'm really tired of these villains with poor pasts schtick Kishi seems to love so much. This is why Oro continues to be the best villain in Naruto. He was a complete power hungry bastard through and through, not some poor, abused soul that's misguided.

Bleach
So Soul Society is now massacring civvies. SS has always been shady and authoritarian but this takes it up a notch.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oro is the best villain Naruto has had and will have

All he did was creepy tongue gymnastics while making moon eyes at Sasuke like every other character.

Naruto

I'm really tired of these villains with poor pasts schtick Kishi seems to love so much. This is why Oro continues to be the best villain in Naruto. He was a complete power hungry bastard through and through, not some poor, abused soul that's misguided.

Bleach
So Soul Society is now massacring civvies. SS has always been shady and authoritarian but this takes it up a notch.
Even worse, they all have like the same fucking past. Their stories are rarely distinguishable from anyone else's; i.e. they lived in a village and the village leaders were douches who made them do stuff for the evulz

Desmond

Naruto

Bleach

Wasn't Orochimaru's goal to resurrect his parents or some shit? Did I make that up?

One Piece
tumblr_m2oogse2ad1qf6rio.png

More interesting than the contents was just the tracking of Luffy's expression through the chapter. I would have handled this and the previous chapter better, the Luffy and Law encounter ought to have been as long as a chapter on its own and this backstory condensed or forgotten. I dont understand why he is focusing on unappealing characters for the sake of world building on the least interesting event on punk hazard. I didnt like it beyond luffy.

Desmond

I don't remember anything like that , his goal was to learn every technique or the strongest ones if i remember right .

Well here's what the wiki (lol) says

According to Tsunade, Orochimaru had always been twisted, even back when he was a child. His sadistic attitude was presumably due to the death of his parents, which led him to study kinjutsu and eventually becoming obsessed with learning all ninjutsu. Jiraiya theorised that Orochimaru went down this path in an attempt to forget his painful memories.

Naruto

Sarutobi sensei made it seem as if Lord Orochimaru was misguided, their dialogue during their fight at least.

Naruto

Yeah, i still don´t care about Kabuto.

one piece

Nice pacing, too much info.

Bleach

Great chapter. So much going on. The pacing is really great in this arc so far. Yamamoto said that no on shinigami in a 1000 years bested him, yet Buckbeard survived. But since Mayuri blamed Yamamoto for it. The way Mayuri said that reminded me with the relationship between Hiruzen (third hokage( and Orochimaru. Yamamoto and Buckbeard might have had the same relationship.

Mayuri acted like a boss towards Yamamoto.
SS is morally shitty, and Aizen probably had the right idea.

I'll give a little extra this time since I missed out on last week. But none of these grades include consideration of last week's chapters as those were last week's chapters.

Bleach: A-

This chapter was great. Lots of stuff happening...

First, we've got KIRA THE SNITCH. Nah, it actually fits his character, he was always the type to go spying and stuff ever since the Aizen betrayal back in Soul Society. I like that we got a Vice Captain meeting to go along with the Captain meeting. It had a much less tension filled vibe than the captain meeting. But it was nice to see that everyone is kicking...I guess. Also, they relayed a lot of information for just being vice captains. Kira was right for suspecting Mayuri, though. Nemu was like "stfu." Does Matsumoto have a new haircut? HNNNNNGGGGG

Then, the fight between Nazi captain dude and Ichigo. If Kubo wasn't going to do as much with this, I would've preferred him to not go to it at all until he was going to do the battle full out. But it's good to know that they aren't just staring at eachother for 20 minutes or talking. Also, Ichigo knows that they're Quincies, but so what? Is he going to do something about it? The best thing about it was that through this little bit of scuffle we know that Ichigo is "Special War Potential"/a "Special Weapon"...in other words Buckbeard knows what the fuck is up. Unlike Aizen who underestimated the dude, Buckbeard is like "This dude is a problem....or a solution"

Next, we have Buckbeard on swag mode. GOING TO INVADE SOUL SOCIETY. No bullshit. He had that nice ol' troll smirk as soon as he found out Ichigo was fighting the Kirge dude. This means he trusts the Kirge dude to actually give Ichigo a good fight. And now, he is not stopping with his plan at all. That's what we like...no bullshit.

Then, we've got Mayuri and Yamamoto. Whoa dude. 28,000 people just got murked like that? That's the Mayuri we know, and without orders too. Like a boss. And the Captain Commander didn't even give a fuck??? Wow man, Soul Society is corrupt as can be. But more importantly we learn that the Captain Commander didn't kill "that man" 1,000 years ago. Not even necessarily Buckbeard, either. Could be one of Buckbeard's ancestors. But either way, great set up chapter.

No Mayuri telling Yamamoto off? You whole post fails :p
Mayuri is boss for talking like that to Yamamoto.
Nice to have you and the others back. Now we wait for Gunbo.

One Piece

Info time.

Now we know about this Ceasar and his deal, time to kick some ass.

Bleach

So the Old Man is at fault? LOL

Lets see what is this link to bearded Aizen is about.

Also not that surprised about the 28,000 thing since Soul Society has always been shady as fuck.

upandaway

Anyway, whatever. There was a little over a two year delay between Death Note and Bakuman, so if Ohba and Obata decide to work again as a duo it might take that long for their next series to show up.
Sure but Obata had another serialization (that was cancelled) one year after DN/before Bakuman, I think.

In general Obata can churn out serializations like crazy (and he switches authors really often). Could be less than a year before we see him again.

I hope for another Ohba teamup in any case.

One Piece

I love the text chapters too. Not much to say but yeah. I've been really looking forward to the past of the island so seeing the entire timeline in 1 chapter is great.
Hell, we know.. pretty much everything now. No, wait, uh, whoa.

Do we? I think we do. What else is left? Law's motives, and.. that's it. It feels so weird to know everything this soon.
There might be a twist.

By the way kinda weird that Basil was the one that got Brownbeard. Wasn't Kidd shown jesus-ing him right after the war? Or am I remembering wrong?

Big One

Banned
Naruto F

Bleach F

Hunter x Hunter A+

HOLY SHIT IT'S BACK! IT'S BACK! TOGASHI IS BAAAACK!! MY LAWD AND SAVIOUR TOGASHI IS BACK!

Kusagari

Bleach:

Vandenreich is already moving on Soul Society? I don't see how they can be the final villains at this point.

Anyway, we learn that Soul Society is even shittier than we knew since Yamamoto doesn't care about Mayuri killing thousands of people.

Everything is setting up perfectly for the "AIZEN WAS A GOOD GUY ALL ALONG" plot twist.

And then we find out the Spirit King is the reason the entire spirit worlds so fucked up and he and Squad 0 the real FVs.

upandaway

Oh hey, that rumor about 3 cancellations was true? There are 3 new series (ANOTHER ROMCOM OH MY GOD).

So weird that Hungry Joker didn't make it. That's just weird.

Kusagari

Well, I personally think Soul Society is about to get crushed. This would be a nice lead-in for the Royal Guard.

Ehh, I don't know. It feels the Quincies are just a plot device at this point to lead up and tell us how bad the Spirit King really is.

I'm betting everything wrong with Soul Society, the Quincies, etc leads back to him.

Solune

Oh hey, that rumor about 3 cancellations was true? There are 3 new series (ANOTHER ROMCOM OH MY GOD).

So weird that Hungry Joker didn't make it. That's just weird.

So what are the cancellations other than ST&RS? And do we have any info of what's getting serialized?

Well, I personally think Soul Society is about to get crushed. This would be a nice lead-in for the Royal Guard.

That´s exactly what will happen. Not only crushed by severely incapacitated. And not only SS, but Urahara, Isshin and the rest of the group and the vizards. Everyone. Because the RG did not show up when Aizen crushed SS, because there were Urahara his group and Isshin, and Ichigo to stop Aizen. This time everyone will get devastated. It´s the only way for the RG to interfere.

Which would make sense , SS being take over would give them a reason to come out .
Still it should bring out the Spirit King no matter what happens.

That´s exactly what will happen. Not only crushed by severely incapacitated. And not only SS, but Urahara, Isshin and the rest of the group and the vizards. Everyone. Because the RG did not show up when Aizen crushed SS, because there were Urahara his group and Isshin, and Ichigo to stop Aizen. This time everyone will get devastated. It´s the only way for the RG to interfere.

Well they were on earth and not in SS.
RG job is to protect the Spirit King , Aizen beating people on earth really don't effect him much to tell the truth .

Hmmm....

They could finally show their fucking faces and maybe Aizen could be freed as a desperation attempt :p

Well they were on earth and not in SS.
RG job is to protect the Spirit King , Aizen beating people on earth really don't effect him much to tell the truth .

I guess if Aizen actually managed to open the Door they would have appeared

Azure J

One Piece

Antagonist? Check.

Guy with badass power and dubious motives following antagonist? Check.

Mystery involving a third party? Check.

Outside influences? Check

Looks like it's going to be a fun one this time.

Bleach

You know, I always had a sneaking suspicion that Soul Society could be very fucked up ethically, but I can't believe I never saw something like that being revealed like it was in the end of the chapter. Crazy stuff.

Tasogare 33

Pause, Niiya's 12? I thought it was established from way back that he was 15 or so? Also "shut up and accept this disgrace" might be the best line I've read in anything ever. :lol

Reading 34 in a minute too.

Edit: Misread, I thought that special at the beginning was its own chapter.

Kono S o mi yo

Why does manga insist on making everything so hard mode? IRL, this chapter would have been like "You're getting cheated on, screw the marriage." but of course, we have a protagonist that can't spit it out and a dork of a 30 year old woman who can't read between the lines.

And yet I still want to see how this all plays out. :lol

Man, a ton of the manga I was reading just got multiple updates out of the blue it seems. I'm looking and we even have new chapters of Otoyomegatari here. I'm going to be reading forever at this rate.

upandaway

So what are the cancellations other than ST&RS? And do we have any info of what's getting serialized?
After ST&RS, Bakuman and the one-shots I think there's no need to make any more room, but something else could still be cancelled in the next 2 weeks, if Jump wants to continue the one-shots. I won't try to predict anything!

For the new series the previews have a romcom, a gag manga (the name is something ridiculous like Chounouryoukusha haha, dunno if I got that right), and something new by the Oumagadoki Zoo guy. I don't really recognize the other authors, maybe new people.
I'm pretty sure all of these had one-shots at one point, but I don't think any were translated.

Took me so long just to understand all these silly letters. Japanese just goes full armageddon with names/titles.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
How badass is it that the Vandenreich can basically fuck with Soul Society major just by destroying Hollows? I mean, they destroyed 28,000 of them so quickly that it ruined the balance and put them in a terrible moral dilemma. Not to mention that I don't think SS is ready for such a quick invasion. They're still preparing while Buckbeard is rearing to go.

I definitely like Buckbeard. A lot of people were saying that they didn't like him killing his subordinates a while back, but it really matches up with this kind of character that doesn't care and he's taking any advantage of any situation he can, despite not knowing or caring why it's happening. He even said himself "I don't know why Ichigo is invading HM, but whatever. Let's go." Compare this to Aizen going through the trouble of trying to get Ichigo to HM. Buckbeard doesn't even give a fuck about Hallibel. But he does care about Ichigo, enough to go trample SS while he's busy.

No Mayuri telling Yamamoto off? You whole post fails :p
Mayuri is boss for talking like that to Yamamoto.
Nice to have you and the others back. Now we wait for Gunbo.
Lmao, thanks. But yeah, Mayuri definitely put Yama in check, but I wasn't really surprised at the same time...such a badass.

Like you say, I really think everyone on all cylinders is in for a major crushing. I wonder what Kisuke's knowledge of the situation is.

How badass is it that the Vandenreich can basically fuck with Soul Society major just by destroying Hollows? I mean, they destroyed 28,000 of them so quickly that it ruined the balance and put them in a terrible moral dilemma. Not to mention that I don't think SS is ready for such a quick invasion. They're still preparing while Buckbeard is rearing to go.

I definitely like Buckbeard. A lot of people were saying that they didn't like him killing his subordinates a while back, but it really matches up with this kind of character that doesn't care and he's taking any advantage of any situation he can, despite not knowing or caring why it's happening. He even said himself "I don't know why Ichigo is invading HM, but whatever. Let's go." Compare this to Aizen going through the trouble of trying to get Ichigo to HM. Buckbeard doesn't even give a fuck about Hallibel. But he does care about Ichigo, enough to go trample SS while he's busy.

And this mofo survived from battling the old man himself. That instantly qualifies you as a badass outright.

After ST&RS, Bakuman and the one-shots I think there's no need to make any more room, but something else could still be cancelled in the next 2 weeks, if Jump wants to continue the one-shots. I won't try to predict anything!

For the new series the previews have a romcom, a gag manga (the name is something ridiculous like Chounouryoukusha haha, dunno if I got that right), and something new by the Oumagadoki Zoo guy. I don't really recognize the other authors, maybe new people.
I'm pretty sure all of these had one-shots at one point, but I don't think any were translated.

Took me so long just to understand all these silly letters. Japanese just goes full armageddon with names/titles.

It doesnt seem like their search for series to at least replace/complement the popularity of the popular titles is working to well if those are the new options on the table.

Tobe

Bleach
so thats why yamamoto hasnt retired from being sotaicho. well thats his last mission. im finding really hard to place ishida into all this quincy problem, i mean what whats his place in the puzzle?

Naruto
its nice to know the background of kabuto but come on kishi its taking way too long.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
And this mofo survived from battling the old man himself. That instantly qualifies you as a badass outright.
True. The implications of Yama vs Buckbeard are awesome.

Another thing I like about this guy when thinking about Aizen is how much he simply does not rely on the protagonist to move his plans forward. Aizen needed Ichigo...or at least acted like he did to move his plans and whatever forward. He also let SS plan for an attack and all that jazz, whereas Buckbeard isn't really up for all that. He isn't the type to show mercy for the sake of how great he is, or allow his enemy any advantages or time to plan. Which is why I think Soul Society is definitely about to get its shit rocked.

Luffy had the proper reaction at least.
God, I almost missed this. Not enough :lol smileys for this.

I'll call him Buckbeard until we get a better name. Big bad? Leader? Vandenreich leader? Lame.

OP

I find it interesting Smoker's crew refer to themselves as rejects. I think it's safe to assume these guys do not hold the belief of Absolute Justice then. The guy probably brought together a team like that intentionally. They're probably considered a black sheep group and I'm sure Smoker is still pissing off his superiors that way (even if he has climbed near the top).

Bleach
so thats why yamamoto hasnt retired from being sotaicho. well thats his last mission. im finding really hard to place ishida into all this quincy problem, i mean what whats his place in the puzzle?

Naruto
its nice to know the background of kabuto but come on kishi its taking way too long.

5 chapters later:

"I have successfully stalled Itachi and Sasuke long enough for Tobi to win the war"

Solune

Ah, that's right Bakuman, forgot about that even though it's been confirmed, I have no feelings about it! Hmm the new stuff doesn't sound promising except maybe the last one since I like Oumagadoki Zoo.

At least you can go through moon! I'll learn someday, or maybe not. Thanks for the infos =3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom