• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
What you think should be the case and what is the case are different things.
Okay. Show me the exact chapter and page number where this is said. If Ichigo is making a silly face when he says that, it's intended to be comedic relief, just like all other comedic moments in the series. Whether or not they come out to be serious plotpoints or not is irrelevant to the point that it blends in with the other comedic relief, and most likely was intended to be just that.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Okay. Show me the exact chapter and page number where this is said. If Ichigo is making a silly face when he says that, it's intended to be comedic relief, just like all other comedic moments in the series. Whether or not they come out to be serious plotpoints or not is irrelevant to the point that it blends in with the other comedic relief, and most likely was intended to be just that.

No... If it comes around that it is Ichigo's uncle, your premise goes poof.

Big One

Banned
No... If it comes around that it is Ichigo's uncle, your premise goes poof.
No, it doesn't. Everytime a "joke" is made in the series, it's very clear that it's meant to be a joke. This isn't even remotely debatable whatsoever. I mean, really, everything in every medium ever crafted by human hands is like this, outside of more ambiguous material like dark comedy.

If Kubo says, "Hrm maybe I should draw Ichigo's uncle...oh shit, let's make him a Quincy!" later on then whatever. Point is, it's most likely not the original intent, especially since Kubo has admitted in the past that he pretty much draws cool shit and puts it on paper.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
And then we got this dude called Buckbeard. Sure he looks badass as fuck, but that shouldn't be a defining trait for this guy. Who exactly is this guy? Who is he linked to? There have been nothing to hype this dude up whatsoever, he's just a random villain Kubo created who has no links to any previously established plotlines other than the fact that he's a Quincy.
The opposite is being done here, which is fine. He has revealed the character, and now he is slowly adding the details. We will find out who he is exactly and who he is linked to (if anyone), soon, I suppose.

Being hyped up with small details BEFORE a reveal makes it dandy, but I see nothing wrong with the opposite being done as long as its done right. Will it be done right? It's too early to tell.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
No, it doesn't. Everytime a "joke" is made in the series, it's very clear that it's meant to be a joke. This isn't even remotely debatable whatsoever. I mean, really, everything in every medium ever crafted by human hands is like this, outside of more ambiguous material like dark comedy.

If Kubo says, "Hrm maybe I should draw Ichigo's uncle...oh shit, let's make him a Quincy!" later on then whatever. Point is, it's most likely not the original intent, especially since Kubo has admitted in the past that he pretty much draws cool shit and puts it on paper.

Original intent isn't relevant.

Tokyo Ghoul

Really intrigued with where this is going. I wonder how long the guy can hold out. I think normally, he would have already succumbed by now and eaten human meat while becoming some kind of dark hero, but this seems to be going in a different direction, especially with the coffee discovery.

Bleach
Holy good pacing Batman. I'm loving this shit. Hmm....one thousand years ago....Yamamoto became Captain Commander of the Gotei 13....and one thousand years ago he failed to kill the Vandenreich leader. Connection? Hmm

What the...
where was this leader when Aizen was hypnotizing everyone and going forth to get at the Soul King
?

Big One

Banned
It's always relevant, because it suggests that you've put thought and effort into the storyline in some form or another. Instead, what this suggests is that Kubo has no idea what story he wants to tell. Making up shit as it goes is not only bad writing, but it's straight up incompetence.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
What the...
where was this leader when Aizen was hypnotizing everyone and going forth to get at the Soul King
?
Depending on who he ultimately is, why would he care about that at the time? We don't really know if this leader has any connections to the Soul King, nor what his motives are behind the trampling SS thing. Until we find out, we don't really know if his timing makes sense or not.

Depending on who he ultimately is, why would he care about that at the time? We don't really know if this leader has any connections to the Soul King, nor what his motives are behind the trampling SS thing. Until we find out, we don't really know if his timing makes sense or not.

Well we know this:
He is a Quincy and thinking about it now, he probably wanted Aizen to do his dirty work for him. (I have to stop marking out at manga.)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Tokyo Ghoul

Really intrigued with where this is going. I wonder how long the guy can hold out. I think normally, he would have already succumbed by now and eaten human meat while becoming some kind of dark hero, but this seems to be going in a different direction, especially with the coffee discovery.

There's a ton of raws out so far. It's a shame the scans are so far behind.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

scalia2_0.jpg

Arcana Famiglia 3
tumblr_m2pktaLiJ31qbxqfpo1_500.png

Debito's turn was actually interesting. I liked the development for him to an extent in the casion and he had a cool panel when the action started. Ojou sama surprised me too. I wonder who is next?

Mr. Fix

What the...
?
Doubt Kubo planned that far ahead. If he did, then it's probably only rough stuff on the Royal Guard/SK stuff. This dude and his nazi gang/ apparent quincy return probably were thought up during the fullbring arc at the earliest.

Of course, people are willing to sugar-coat and connect things to try and make it seem legit. There is no legitimate way to prove kubo had this planned early without making it seem like we're reaching. I call it a retcon.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Doubt Kubo planned that far ahead. If he did, then it's probably only rough stuff on the Royal Guard/SK stuff. This dude and his nazi gang/ apparent quincy return probably were thought up during the fullbring arc at the earliest.

Of course, people are willing to sugar-coat and connect things to try and make it seem legit. There is no legitimate way to prove kubo had this planned early without making it seem like we're reaching. I call it a retcon.
Pfft. It's too early to tell either way. The majority of people readily scream plothole or that things don't make sense before we even know what we need to know. It's only been 8 chapters since the arc began.

This entire arc could be based around a retcon if Kubo doesn't tell us why some Quincy have survived/are around in the first place. So let's have that happen before jumping to connections and plotholes and retcons and stuff.

Big One

Banned
Pfft. It's too early to tell either way. The majority of people readily scream plothole or that things don't make sense before we even know what we need to know. It's only been 8 chapters since the arc began.

This entire arc could be based around a retcon if Kubo doesn't tell us why some Quincy have survived/are around in the first place. So let's have that happen before jumping to connections and plotholes and retcons and stuff.
You said that about Fullbringer arc too. Yeah, we sure got all our answers alright!

This was a mistranslation. The official translations don't have that.
Yeah I talked about this with a Bleach friend of mine and he said that there was nothing mentioned. It's just along the lines how sometimes certain mannerisms can be translated to a character calling an old lady "grandma" for example.

to be fair we don't have enough info yet to arrive at such of a conclusion so lets give it some time.

Hopefully Kubo can make it sensible.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
You said that about Fullbringer arc too. Yeah, we sure got all our answers alright!
Oh fuck off. Fullbring was an epic failure on most fronts and it was a shit arc. I thought we would get answers but Kubo was so disgusted with his own work that he just abruptly ended it. I don't blame him. What we're getting now is much better.

I hold it against him, but at the same time I think he cares about this arc a lot more so I expect proper explanations.

Mr. Fix

Fair enough. I do expect him to reuse scenes already shown to explain their significance. And no "technicality" bullshit, just because x said "_____" which could essentially be nothing at all. I want him to point out a fair legitimate scene that clearly hinted this. In due time, of course.

Even if he can't though, it's alright. He just won't be Goda-tier. Just make the war something fiercly nicee, to rub off the rancid trash that is the 4th Ninja world war.

God i love manga GAF stat post made me lol for some reason .
Kubo should care more about this arc than any other it's the last fucking arc of the manga .
I expect him to explain all the important stuff .

I have no problem with retcon stuff most writers do it , just don't make it look like bullshit when you do .

God i love manga GAF stat post made me lol for some reason .
Kubo should care more about this arc than any other it's the last fucking arc of the manga .
I expect him to explain all the important stuff.

I have no problem with retcon stuff most writers do it , just don't make it look like bullshit when you do .

Pretty much.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Oh, the ninja war isn't that bad.

There was that badass moment when...

Well, there was the time when the enemy tricke...

Okay, well there was of course that great fight where...

Shit, I got nothing.

RgPyi.png

Fair enough. I do expect him to reuse scenes already shown to explain their significance. And no "technicality" bullshit, just because x said "_____" which could essentially be nothing at all. I want him to point out a fair legitimate scene that clearly hinted this. In due time, of course.
Yes, yes. But don't worry, if it's bullshit, I'll be the first to point it out along with you.

Big One

Banned
Oh fuck off. Fullbring was an epic failure on most fronts and it was a shit arc. I thought we would get answers but Kubo was so disgusted with his own work that he just abruptly ended it. I don't blame him. What we're getting now is much better.

I hold it against him, but at the same time I think he cares about this arc a lot more so I expect proper explanations.
Yeah but really the same thing could be said about all arcs.

Soul Society? Oh yeah the whole plot was due to Rukia having something in her that wasn't even remotely implied to be inside of her.

Hueco Mundo? Plot? What's that?

Really, Kubo has no idea what the fuck he wants to tell story-wise. He really just needs to get it over with and show us what happened 1000 years ago.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yeah but really the same thing could be said about all arcs.

Soul Society? Oh yeah the whole plot was due to Rukia having something in her that wasn't even remotely implied to be inside of her.
How many implications do you need before a plot revelation becomes "well, we already knew that."...?

It isn't as if it didn't make sense. Urahara was shady from the beginning. Rukia noted that she was having problems with her gigai to Urahara way before she was sentenced to execution. At that point we knew something was going on between Urahara and Rukia/The gigai he lended her, or at least that Urahara was potentially hiding something. This made even more sense when we saw Urahara so willingly help Ichigo get to Soul Society. He wasn't going to tell anyone what he was planning, so when the reveal happened (from Aizen's mouth), it made sense.

Hueco Mundo? Plot? What's that?
Herp derp

Articalys

Bakuman 176 - Dreams and Reality (END)

Yep, they used the same title as the first chapter.
What a ridiculous terrible anticlimax.
Moritaka Mashiro, beta to almost the very end. Hope your manga and anime success was worth those ten years of not having a girlfriend.
Get this junk out of the OP and replace it with Medaka Box or Silver Spoon or something.

Also, thanks are in order to RH for seeing this through to its conclusion.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Bakuman, 130something - 175 not read, 176 (END): F

The poor fuck didn't even get laid.

Thanks Ignis and crew...I will read what I didn't of this manga when I feel like it some day thanks to you guys

Guesong

Bakuman

If it means RH can put out TWGOK faster, then it was damn time it ended!

Such a waste of talent after Death Note...hopefully the authors will heed their own Bakuman counsel and go back to what they were good at.

Now that Bakuman is done I can go back and read it. I couldn't stand Nanamiminana whatever his name was. Hopefully it gets a little better after that part, series went down hill so bad.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Now that Bakuman is done I can go back and read it. I couldn't stand Nanamiminana whatever his name was. Hopefully it gets a little better after that part, series went down hill so bad.

That guy who kept using money or something? If so, I never liked his character.

upandaway

Bakuman

Oh hey, no skip to the forever and ever, no montage, hell there's no character besides Mashiro and Azuki. Totally the opposite of what I expected. It's almost like they cut it short (hahaha).

So *ahem* a few words about Bakuman as a whole.

It wasn't the most incredible steak in the world but at least the chapters had a lot of meat. And it was meta to the very end (it ended just before the next season of the anime, and didn't go beyond the goals in ch1).

See what I did there with that word and that word? It was entirely coincidental but I'll take full credit.

Bakuman END

Meh end. One thing I never understood is why the manga called Bakuman, anyone knows?
It's about the uncle's "manga is a gamble" line.

Hurr durr. Kubo does not plan anything and everything is a retcon. Hurr durr.

The fact this has been foreshadowed since the introduction of the quincies and up to the Ishida/Mayuri fight says volumes about Kubo´s planing abilities, not to mention the shinigami badge. But hurr durr only Oda can foreshadow stuff hurr durr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom