• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I'll call him Buckbeard until we get a better name. Big bad? Leader? Vandenreich leader? Lame.

Ichigo's Uncle.

You're making him sound like a pirate from One Piece who ate a buck buck fruit that only gives zoan powers to his chin.

It's bad enough that mangaf is catching on.

Diablos54

Naruto: Only good thing was seeing Oro again. I just hope the flashback (And Uhicha Bros. fight) finishes as quick as possible.

Bleach: Interesting with the Vice Captians having their own meeting after the Captians meeting, and Mayuri being the boss that he is laying the verbal smackdown on Yamamoto. Vandenreich leader is getting better and better as a villian, and him having a past with Yamamoto is also pretty cool.

One Piece: Standard OP info dump, interesting as always. Now that that's out of the way things should start heating up a bit, there's a lot of things going on at once, and things could go a number of different ways from here.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Has anyone been thrilled with the Madara vs Kage fight? It's been pretty underwhelming to me. I'm not sure what Kishimoto plans to do as far as switching it up, but that battle is gonna need something to raise the stakes. Maybe a well needed Hashirama + Madara flashback? That's a flashback I'll care about.

Gvaz

Banned
Are you talking about how the translation are or the content in the chapters .

Content. I'm just like

One Piece
tumblr_m2oogse2ad1qf6rio.png
Last few chapters

Naruto

yo. fuck this.

Bleach

They have statistics about how many people are wearing sandals? what

There's something that bugs me out about "Iacto Arme", if you're going Nazi, Tite, go all the way. Leave the Latin bullshit and give it a Germanese name.

Also, what's that "balance of souls"?

Content. I'm just like

I pretty sure most people still read the chapters even thought the translation is horrible.
Just 2 chapter ago we had the smoker vs law fight that people were talking about .
Now we have normal info dump that set up things while giving us history behind the characters and island.

Each world has to have a certain number of souls or everything can break down .
That is why so much hallow getting destroy at once is a bad thing .
It's also the reason why the had to wipe out the Quincy because unlike the Death Gods when they kill hallows they mess up the balance.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I pretty sure most people still read the chapters even thought the translation is horrible.
Just 2 chapter ago we had the smoker vs law fight that people were talking about .
Now we have normal info dump that set up things while giving history behind the characters and island.
Which always impresses me in how it presents information you pretty much already know.
Bleach

Qunicies destroy souls. Soul Reapers route the souls to Soul Society. If the soul flow is disrupted, the world's structure could be destroyed. The Quincies have been busy eradicating souls recently so to keep the soul eco system from going out of wack, 11th squad captain elected to kill a matching number of SS residents.

Qunicies destroy souls. Soul Reapers route the souls to Soul Society. If the soul flow is disrupted, the world's structure could be destroyed. The Quincies have been busy eradicating souls recently so to keep the soul eco system from going out of wack, 11th squad captain elected to kill a matching number of SS residents.

Ooohh, I had no idea. That actually makes sense.

but still, sandal statistics. guys.

Mr. Fix

Has anyone been thrilled with the Madara vs Kage fight? It's been pretty underwhelming to me. I'm not sure what Kishimoto plans to do as far as switching it up, but that battle is gonna need something to raise the stakes. Maybe a well needed Hashirama + Madara flashback? That's a flashback I'll care about.

Gimme that, + Full Susanoo, + Amaterasu, + a couple of dead Kages.

Are statistics about poverty in the districts that crazy?

Barefoot and rags is the way to go but yeah if don't have much or any spiritual pressure in SS.
Then you can fuck right off , now it seems they killing them to keep the balance.
People without spiritual pressure have it really bad, i wonder if they getting send back to earth or they killing them outright.

Are statistics about poverty in the districts that crazy?

JOqIe.png

I don't know if it's because of the translation but it sounded like a really weird thing to say or even have data on. As if someone would actually be interested who wears sandals or not. On the other hand, Mayuri is kinda insane so I guess I can let this one slide. It's really minor but it caught my attention.

Don't worry Statu-kun, I don't hate Bleach more because of this~

TommyT

Might have been discussed... just noticed it and came to post. Edit - Didn't think that was a problem especially since it was a big deal when they stopped hosting. Thanks gundamkyoukai for the quote edit.

Check out their twitter for more information (a few tweets down). Also...I don't know if it would be wise to post that either... Might want to edit it out.

Their twitter was down on their site, so I'll have to check it out.

Bleach
tumblr_m2okrl4LLq1qa6vgoo1_500.jpg

That was actually a really cool moment. I cant wait to see Kirge get destroyed by Ichigo soon.

For the matters of Soul Society, with the continuous scenes of Old Man Yamamoto looking so grim in these panels, I fear that he may actually meet his death this arc. If he couldnt kill the man 1K years ago, then how could he defeat him now. That plot could get the other nebulous higher entity of the spirit realm involved, I think.

SS is like the worst afterlife ever. Either you're a shinigami and have to put your life in danger to fight hollows or you're poor living in some country backwoods village from hundreds of years ago despite having died in the 21st century

And now we know you can be rounded up and killed (AGAIN I might add) for no reason

SS is like the worst afterlife ever. Either you're a shinigami and have to put your life in danger to fight hollows or you're poor living in some country backwoods village from hundreds of years ago despite having died in the 21st century

You can be born into those royal families though, if we count the filler arcs, though is every Kuchiki a fighter, or the Shiba's?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Huh? But not everyone is poor in Rukongai.

Dartastic

Real talk: when does Kishi NOT take way too long to explain stuff? There's a reason there's been about 8 million episodes of filler in the anime...

Big One

Banned
Which always impresses me in how it presents information you pretty much already know.
There isn't a single thing of information in this chapter that contains content we already know. Last chapter was the only one that did that to summarize the events so far.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Huh? But not everyone is poor in Rukongai.

Just the established clans. The random dead guy gets a burlap sack and the chance to die of some soul transmitted disease.

There isn't a single thing of information in this chapter that contains content we already know. Last chapter was the only one that did that to summarize the events so far.
No. This chapter was summarizing stuff we knew but not all the characters did.

What it told us was how the manbeasts came to be (don't care) and that the dragon was artificial. How the diasaster happened is irrelevant.

Did nothing to explain why half the crew got their bodies switched or why.

Naruto
boring, i liked the page with kabuto from different villages though

bleach
this feels like one of those shitty bleach anime movies.

Big One

Banned
What exactly did it summarize? There's nothing said in this chapter that we already knew. That was last chapter.

What it told us was how the manbeasts came to be (don't care) and that the dragon was artificial. How the diasaster happened is irrelevant.

Lol no.

If you have no interest in that you should just quit reading manga, period. If you even remotely think that characters not wearing flip-flops is "interesting" while slowly giving hints of the mystery of Punk Hazard isn't, then you have more issues outside of bad tastes in manga.

If you don't care, then there's no point in reading. It is undeniably of quality and important information, whether you care about it or not.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
What exactly did it summarize? There's nothing said in this chapter that we already knew. That was last chapter.
If you have no interest in that you should just quit reading manga, period. Pay attention to the chapters you're supposedly reading.

If you have no interest in that you should just quit reading manga, period. If you even remotely think that characters not wearing flip-flops is "interesting"
Kubo explained the soul balance and set up the Qunicy return years back. You should be jizzing nonstop and shouting "Godu Kubo!!!!!" If you don't care, then there's no point in reading. It is undeniably of quality and important information, whether you care about it or not.

survivor

Banned
Kurogane

This chapter made me think, why doesn't Kurogane have dream sex with Sayuri? She clearly likes him and there are no risks in doing it in your dream.

Well this chapter also told us that someone who is in the marines might be working with the pirates .
More info on rookies who are now called the worst generation because of all the trouble they cause in NW along with BB.
How the disaster happen plays a part in telling us what sort of character CC is , who might be the main villain for this arc .

Only stuff that was not explain was anything to do with law.

Big One

Banned
There was nothing about the Quincy in this chapter, aside from the cliffhanger at the end and Ichigo saying, "You guys are Quincy, aren't you?" basically.

The only storybits exposed in the Bleach chapter are about Rukongai. Take in consideration that last time we've even SEEN Rukongai, was a couple of early chapters in the very first major arc in the series.

The One Piece chapter set up a similar, equal amount of information, except it's about Vegapunk, a character of mystery who has been slowly expanded upon in tidbits of legitimate information. No, we haven't seen Vegapunk, but because previous chapters have established a sense of mystery on what his motives are, when we DO see him it'll be very interesting to piece together everything and see how the story unfolds.

And then we got this dude called Buckbeard. Sure he looks badass as fuck, but that shouldn't be a defining trait for this guy. Who exactly is this guy? Who is he linked to? There have been nothing to hype this dude up whatsoever, he's just a random villain Kubo created who has no links to any previously established plotlines other than the fact that he's a Quincy.

If there was some form of chapter that at least hype him up in some form or another, aka how Oda has hyped up Ceasar Clown for the past few chapters, Buckbeard would be a lot more badass and awesome when revealed. But nope, when he was revealed, we've pretty much seen what he can do from the start. There's nothing wrong with establishing that your character is a bad dude, but it doesn't create any sense of legitimate interest other than, "I wonder if he can shoot lasers out of his dick?"

And there's also a whole slew of problems with Buckbeard's existence. If we're expecting this dude to outclass Aizen to the point where he actually DESTROYS Soul Society, does this mean that when Yamamoto and etc. defeated him and the other Quincy years ago that they were actually powerful enough in the far past to defeat someone who is more powerful than Aizen? This is Aizen here, the guy that NO ONE BUT ICHIGO could beat, cause he was pretty much a god.

PK Gaming

Good to see that the recently banned mangaf members are up and about.

One Piece

I didn't really like how Oda spent a good chunk of the chapter on Smashigi and Toker, (seriously Smoker in Tashigi's body is gross) but they did end up revealing a few key things. I was fan of Cesar's backstory with Vegapunk, and Brownbeards explanation was actually heartwarming. There was a lot to absorb in this chapter, but ultimately it was an enjoyable read.

Bleach

(Wow rating a bleach chapter before Naruto? It must be end of times). I'd actually enjoy Bleach a lot more if the arcs were based around the SS and the captains instead of being all over the place. Mayuri's talk with Yamato made me smile (but why on earth did he kill that many people >_>)

Hopefully Kubo can draw a decent fight for the next chapter.

Naruto:

Read last weeks summary. Having a flashback in the MIDDLE of a fight (not before, not after, but in the MIDDLE) is stupid. I didn't really feel "anything" while reading Kabuto's flashback, which is a pity since I actually like him. It's clear to me he's going to die by Itachi / Sasuke's Sailor moon eye attack, in the following chapters. He didn't deserve any of this tbh.

Big One

Banned
He's Isshin's brother.
Uhh...no, as far as we know there's absolutely not a single thing that even hints this. Even if he was, where exactly did that come from, exactly? Isshin could've at least hinted it previously in the series that he had some relatives outside of Ichigo and his little sisters.

It was pretty obvious some chapters back when
Law pulled their hearts and suddenly the personalities switched, he traded the hearts

Law also said he did not want anyone to leave the island .
So he knows the SH not going to leave unless there bodies\ personalities switch back to normal same for Smoker group.
Still it seem smoker going send out some men to report what happen but if someone in G5 working with the pirates the report might not matter.

survivor

Banned
Shingeki no Kyojin 32

Finally, had the time to read it. Great chapter. Eren's transformation at the end was badass.

The cover page made me realize something, I don't ever recall seeing ripped females in manga or anime before.

Articalys

Patience is a virtue. Good quality for the big three again!

One Piece was an infodump, granted, but I like Oda's worldbuilding and at least we got our first real glimpse at, and data for, Caesar. Also, Tashigi!Smoker is awesome.

Bleach is feeling better paced than usual. I hope Ryuuken gets involved in things soon.

Sure but Obata had another serialization (that was cancelled) one year after DN/before Bakuman, I think.

In general Obata can churn out serializations like crazy (and he switches authors really often). Could be less than a year before we see him again.

I hope for another Ohba teamup in any case.
Oh yeah, I know Obata does other work as an artist (Blue Dragon Ral Grad and that oneshot with Nisioisin); I was just specifically referring to the possible timeframe of another teamup with Ohba.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Uhh...no, as far as we know there's absolutely not a single thing that even hints this. Even if he was, where exactly did that come from, exactly? Isshin could've at least hinted it previously in the series that he had some relatives outside of Ichigo and his little sisters.

First time Ichigo sees Zangetsu he says, "He kinda looks like my uncle." I doubt it's coincidence that he looks exactly like Zangetsu.

It was pretty obvious some chapters back when
Law pulled their hearts and suddenly the personalities switched, he traded the hearts
What moved him to do so and what was the point?

PK Gaming

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Next Wednesday will suck...

What?

Hrn-

NO!

Stay Frosty - Stay Frosty - Stay Frosty tay Frosty - Stay Frosty - Stay Frosty tay Frosty - Stay Frosty - Stay Frosty tay Frosty - Stay Frosty - Stay Frosty tay Frosty - Stay Frosty

Ok I think i'm good...

Kreed

So nice to have Mangastream working on scanlations again (particularly One Piece and it's panels with so much stuff going on).

One Piece 664:

I was hoping Ceasar Clown's ability wouldn't be gas. Seems too close to Magellan IMO. I guess it's still "different" in a way, and it depends on what Oda does with his ability. Otherwise this was an ok "wikipedia" chapter before leading into more chaos/fights, although I'm not expecting much from this arc in terms of battle match ups, particularly with the Straw Hats in the wrong bodies and the fact that Law seems like the strongest opponent.

Apath

Naruto
I think this is the worst Naruto chapter I've read in a while. I just couldn't give less of a shit about Kabuto or his back story. I got enough of it last chapter -- devoting an entire chapter to it was unnecessary. Can't wait for more useless, shitty, generic flash backs next week!

Big One

Banned
First time Ichigo sees Zangetsu he says, "He kinda looks like my uncle." I doubt it's coincidence that he looks exactly like Zangetsu.
I highly doubt Kubo ever intended that Ichigo's uncle would be revealed to be the Quincy boss and is more powerful than Aizen. The uncle thing was for comedy relief rather than meant to be serious.

Law doesn't want them to leave the island, this basically forces them to stay until he fixes them.

TO KEEP THEM ON THE ISLAND and make sure they came back. They're not going to return till that's resolved and he was busy with Smoker and co so he didn't have time to actually confront them so he did what he could think of quickest to make sure they wouldn't go too far

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kubo seems to really like Nazis. He's got Soul-Josef Mengele conducting brutal human experiments and now randomly executing entire cities plus the bad guy squad seem to be some Soul Nazis in full uniforms shouting random german sounding words and enslaving people.

Kubo seems to really like Nazis. He's got Soul-Josef Mengele conducting brutal human experiments and now randomly executing entire cities plus the bad guy squad seem to be some Soul Nazis in full uniforms shouting random german sounding words and enslaving people.

Dont forget if you want to go there with Ichigo's bankai sword hilt. :p

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I highly doubt Kubo ever intended that Ichigo's uncle would be revealed to be the Quincy boss and is more powerful than Aizen. The uncle thing was for comedy relief rather than meant to be serious.
What you think should be the case and what is the case are different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom