• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Bakuman

Only 20 pages for the final chapter? I would have thought they would double it or something and show more stuff. Maybe they will do some special chapter for the volume release. Chapter was alright. Mashiro was rocking his awesome new car. Must have wasted all of his Reversi money on it. Poor guy.

I do hope they do like a sequel, Bakuman: 10 Years Later, where Mashiro and Azuki get divorced and she is ruining him financially taking all his money.

flawfuls

Crimsons 4

Good stuff as always

p9qDm.png

I feel like the whole smolting thing was a wasted opportunity though. They should have gone more dramatic with it. It could have been this manga's super saiyan.

upandaway

Nononono

That reason is silly. Who says they'll spare them if they win?

No matter what it started from, they've been sacrificing for centuries. I thought this would be something but their win is pretty much irrelevant to anything and everything.

Kiwaguro no Brynhildr

Pffft hahaha what. Hooooooly shit.

I love it when chapters are super normal and SoLish and everything is peaches and strawberries and then, on the final page, "look at this for a sec" -> "what's this weird capsule?" -> "oh this? it's a
BABY GODDAMN ALIEN
"

I love this.

Edit: daaaamn that's a nice save flawfuls

ShinNL

Hurr durr. Kubo does not plan anything and everything is a retcon. Hurr durr.

The fact this has been foreshadowed since the introduction of the quincies and up to the Ishida/Mayuri fight says volumes about Kubo´s planing abilities, not to mention the shinigami badge. But hurr durr only Oda can foreshadow stuff hurr durr.
Your entire post is hurr durr.

A good foreshadowing is revealing there's a bankai and then having bankai revealed one by one.

A bad foreshadowing is saying 1 chapter beforehand there's another ultimate power beyond what's currently known and using that power the next chapter.

Kubo fills Bleach with the latter after the Soul Society arc.

And quincy foreshadowing? With what? With Ishida using every opportunity to introduce himself as "I'm the last quincy!". Oh yeah, totally.

PK Gaming

Bakuman

Only 20 pages for the final chapter? I would have thought they would double it or something and show more stuff. Maybe they will do some special chapter for the volume release. Chapter was alright. Mashiro was rocking his awesome new car. Must have wasted all of his Reversi money on it. Poor guy.

I do hope they do like a sequel, Bakuman: 10 Years Later, where Mashiro and Azuki get divorced and she is ruining him financially taking all his money.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I was expecting a wedding, or at least an appearance from Takagi. I don't even read the series, but I wanted him to be his "bros"man or something.

Averon

Bakuman 176 (end)

No time skip. No wedding. No montage. They went with a really basic, bare bones ending.
Now that Bakuman's finished, how would MangaGAF rate the series as a whole?

Kusagari

Hurr durr. Kubo does not plan anything and everything is a retcon. Hurr durr.

The fact this has been foreshadowed since the introduction of the quincies and up to the Ishida/Mayuri fight says volumes about Kubo´s planing abilities, not to mention the shinigami badge. But hurr durr only Oda can foreshadow stuff hurr durr.

Yep Mayuri going nuts about their being a Quincy alive and saying they were all dead, when he apparently knew the entire time that a group of them were in fact alive, is total foreshadowing.

Your entire post is hurr durr.

A good foreshadowing is revealing there's a bankai and then having bankai revealed one by one.

A bad foreshadowing is saying 1 chapter beforehand there's another ultimate power beyond what's currently known and using that power the next chapter.

Kubo fills Bleach with the latter after the Soul Society arc.

And quincy foreshadowing? With what? With Ishida using every opportunity to introduce himself as "I'm the last quincy!". Oh yeah, totally.

Look who´s talking about hurr durr posts. A person who does get anything.

Bankai? really? Ichigo is a hybrid. Lol, way to miss the whole of Ichigo´s existence.

The fact that Soken said that he does not want shinigami/quincy war to happen again when Uryuu remembers him in his fight with Mayuri totally implies that there are more quincies. Since Uryuu is in no way a threat to SS. Actually Mayuri mentioning Uryuu in this chapter proves it. Of course that´s not mentioning the brilliant planning of the shinigami badge and tying it up with 300 previous chapters. It´s not Kubo´s fault that you´re slow.

Griffith

Banned
Bakuman

Pretty dull ending. The romance plot was always the worst part of the series anyway so I wasn't expecting much from it.

survivor

Banned
Bakuman 176 (end)

No time skip. No wedding. No montage. They went with a really basic, bare bones ending.
Now that Bakuman's finished, how would MangaGAF rate the series as a whole?

Average at best. They had great ideas in the beginning and it was pretty cool to see some insights on the manga process, even though not all of it might be accurate. The manga competitions they had and the challenges they faced in increasing their ratings were enjoyable as well.

However, the problem really is about the series going past its prime. It really should have ended a long time ago but they just kept dragging it on with adding new villains, recycling villains or coming up with dumb obstacles. Not to mention, the romance plot and a lot of the other sub-plots weren't really good or entertaining. I guess what I would have liked is if this manga wasn't for kids. No need for this unrealistic romance plot or a lot of the dumb things they did that you find in bad shounen manga.

I wouldn't really recommend the manga to anyone unless they really care about the subject it covers, or just recommend they read the first few arcs and stop afterwards.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yep Mayuri going nuts about their being a Quincy alive and saying they were all dead, when he apparently knew the entire time that a group of them were in fact alive, is total foreshadowing.

What? Batshit insane? Mayuri said in this very chapter that he considered the possibility of a threat after Ishida confronted him. He brought that possibility to The CC but was ignored. I don't see what you're getting at here.

upandaway

Toriko

Alright, alright. Yeah, natural pudding. I'm willing to compromise on such a concept. I'm not that stubborn of a guy, really.

But why the hell is it actually shaped like man-made pudding? How does this make any sense? The process of making a pudding shaped like that is way too complicated and way too sterilized for that. This is almost worse than the anime's two opening ingredients each episode.

And don't get me started on the ham.

I really don't like the man-made-esque ingredients. They just ruin the mood. If only they put just a little bit of effort into making them seem natural, I'd be all over it.

Kusagari

What? Batshit insane? Mayuri said in this very chapter that he considered the possibility of a threat after Ishida confronted him. He brought that possibility to The CC but was ignored. I don't see what you're getting at here.

That isn't foreshadowing. Foreshadowing would have been Mayuri mentioning this to Yamamoto after Soul Society and us seeing that. Nothing in Mayuri's confrontation with Uryuu or afterward so much as hinted at the Vandenreich.

Hell Mayuri going "I thought all the Quincy were dead, but could you be related to him?" would have been foreshadowing. All of us would have thought he meant Uryuu's dad, but then the twist would be he meant Buckbeard.

That IS foreshadowing. Not Mayuri revealing this chapter he said something to Yama that we never saw.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
That isn't foreshadowing..
Oh, you were only saying that's not foreshadowing. Well, I agree, it's not. This is just a reveal, afterall. I thought you were saying that there was just something wrong or that didn't make sense with Mayuri's actions at all.

Esch

Banned
Toriko

Alright, alright. Yeah, natural pudding. I'm willing to compromise on such a concept. I'm not that stubborn of a guy, really.

But why the hell is it actually shaped like man-made pudding? How does this make any sense? The process of making a pudding shaped like that is way too complicated and way too sterilized for that. This is almost worse than the anime's two opening ingredients each episode.

And don't get me started on the ham.

I really don't like the man-made-esque ingredients. They just ruin the mood. If only they put just a little bit of effort into making them seem natural, I'd be all over it.

I feel like all the things that Toriko could improve this is a complaint i dont get. this manga's been absurd like this from chapter 1.

Shaman King Flowers 1

Only decided to check it out since its from the artists of Ultimo and wanted to see the other franchise he is known for. This chap 1 was really compelling by the end there. Hana is cool and the antagonist there, looking strikingly like he is from Ultimo, had a cool attack, the Oversoul Tsukuyomi Lance. Think I will continue to follow it.

upandaway

I feel like all the things that Toriko could improve this is a complaint i dont get. this manga's been absurd like this from chapter 1.
It sort of escalated recently (even if it was always there). Things like the puffer fish and the meat and the century soup were given lots of explanations and seemed natural. But ever since the gambling there hasn't really been any ingredient that wasn't just "it's ___ and has ___ and that's it". As recent as the Zebra arc there was still some sort of reasoning behind the ingredients.

Maybe I've been selectively reading it and only noticed it recently but it sure seemed that way.

Dunno, it's easily the thing that bugs me the most in Toriko.

Solune

This sounds bad, really bad. KNIM levels of bad. I'd rather have a :firehawk version of the ending.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Mashiro should've died in the hospital. No one would've seen that coming. Then, Eiji could've been the main character. With a rival in Takagi.

Esch

Banned
It sort of escalated recently (even if it was always there). Things like the puffer fish and the meat and the century soup were given lots of explanations and seemed natural. But ever since the gambling there hasn't really been any ingredient that wasn't just "it's ___ and has ___ and that's it". As recent as the Zebra arc there was still some sort of reasoning behind the ingredients.

Maybe I've been selectively reading it and only noticed it recently but it sure seemed that way.

Dunno, it's easily the thing that bugs me the most in Toriko.

i agree that earlier on things were given more background, but to be honest i think the author is trying to push through this whole arc pretty fast. Its essentially been a set of training exercises from the IGO chief. None of these items are going to be portrayed as full course material. Toriko still has a really incomplete menu, so its my thought that after this temple shit is done there's only one thing left on this list, then....? hes moving these mini ingredient arcs at a fast pace though.

Kreed

Bakuman END:

Horrible ending chapter. That's the type of ending I expect when a manga is canceled, not when it finishes out properly. They could have at least given us a chapter showing what happened with the other characters and Saiko and Shujin's next series.

Regardless, like I said earlier in the week, I am going to be extremely hesitant to read anything else from Ohba and Obata going forward when it is obvious they don't know when and how to end their works properly.

scy

I thought the "throwaway" Toriko ingredients were primarily the reader submitted ones? That's how I've always took the ones that never really got much attention.

Mr. Fix

The fact that Soken said that he does not want shinigami/quincy war to happen again when Uryuu remembers him in his fight with Mayuri totally implies that there are more quincies.
Again, this is a technicality. Where's clear cut proof back then? It could mean anything, like Ishida representing the Quincies, opposing Shinigami. It's too vague.

Esch

Banned
I thought the "throwaway" Toriko ingredients were primarily the reader submitted ones? That's how I've always took the ones that never really got much attention.

I think he's talking about the ones Ichiryuu wanted him to find. Shining Gourami, Ozone Herb, Bubble Fruit, etc.

upandaway

i agree that earlier on things were given more background, but to be honest i think the author is trying to push through this whole arc pretty fast. Its essentially been a set of training exercises from the IGO chief. None of these items are going to be portrayed as full course material. Toriko still has a really incomplete menu, so its my thought that after this temple shit is done there's only one thing left on this list, then....? hes moving these mini ingredient arcs at a fast pace though.
I hear you, but still, even if they didn't have a full on encyclopedia on every ingredient, I'd like them to be not based on complicated man-made products. I mean, yeah.

Though in their defense none of it so far has been as bad as the Big Mac flowers (how can the hamburgers even be cooked) or the chocolate biscuit (complete with patterns) giraffes from the anime!

I think he's talking about the ones Ichiryuu wanted him to find. Shining Gourami, Ozone Herb, Bubble Fruit, etc.
Yeah but the smaller ones too.
@ scy, the thing that gets me about the man-made ones is that they're canon and that hurts the immersion (well to begin with the fact he credits all the fans in between panels hurts the most, might as well put "THIS DOESN'T EXIST IT'S MANGA I DREW THIS" between every panel, but y'know), shouldn't be like that

Disclaimer: I'm starting to sound like this is the biggest deal ever and I'm eating fresh soil out of frustration but I really don't mean it that bad. It's just explaining it and all

Big One

Banned
YO DAWG THERE ISN'T ANY PLOTHOLES YOU GOTTA WAIT TILL KUBO EXPLAINS IT JUST LIKE HOW KUBO EXPLAINED EVERYTHING ELSE, LIKE WHEN HE EXPLAINED THAT...

I got nothing.

ShinNL

Look who´s talking about hurr durr posts. A person who does get anything.

Bankai? really? Ichigo is a hybrid. Lol, way to miss the whole of Ichigo´s existence.

The fact that Soken said that he does not want shinigami/quincy war to happen again when Uryuu remembers him in his fight with Mayuri totally implies that there are more quincies. Since Uryuu is in no way a threat to SS. Actually Mayuri mentioning Uryuu in this chapter proves it. Of course that´s not mentioning the brilliant planning of the shinigami badge and tying it up with 300 previous chapters. It´s not Kubo´s fault that you´re slow.
It seems you don't know what foreshadowing is. You mentioning the shinigami badge proves this. Also, stop using "the fact that", there's nothing brilliant about creating plots in hindsight.

And WTF does Ichigo being a hybrid have to do with me listing an example of foreshadowing?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
TLRD 18.5:
GLORIOUS PETTANKO.

(I still prefer momo)

survivor

Banned
One of the things I always loved about Bakuman was the covers for the manga volumes. They were colourful, lots of little detail everywhere, and not empty/lazy. Always loved looking at them when I'm at Chapters.

My top 3

vcUvz.jpg
rfrvx.jpg
KoKyX.jpg

One of the things I always loved about Bakuman was the covers for the manga volumes. They were colourful, lots of little detail everywhere, and not empty/lazy. Always loved looking at them when I'm at Chapters.

I think I liked most, Dream of Life probably among my favorite as well as the first one, and whichever have both ashirogi muto on it, like 10 (which has naruto on it)
Bakuman%2Bvol%2B6.jpg

The crow poster.

Wiseblade

Magi

It's nice that Zuko's getting the angst out early rather than sitting on it and letting it build into a major conflict. I have to admit, him crying on the floor and telling everyone to shut up was hilarious.

Again, this is a technicality. Where's clear cut proof back then? It could mean anything, like Ishida representing the Quincies, opposing Shinigami. It's too vague.

It´s not a technicality one bit. Kubo does this a lot. He makes vague comments than elaborates on them later on like the shinigami badge. You dismissed them as retcon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom