• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure J

ReBirth The Lunatic Taker 24

Trainwreck status: Achieved

Also, as much as I usually hate the thought train that most people find themselves on regarding characters like this, someone needs to kill the fuck outta Reiji, he's exceptionally bitch. :lol

Silver Spoon:
You guys do know Silver Spoon is a "slice of life" manga about farming? There's nothing to "wait for" with this series vs Full Metal Alchemist where there was a "big bad" to defeat. There are continuing story lines/plot elements but you could pick up the manga in chapter 30 or chapter 2 and you wouldn't really be lost. And because of that there's no real indication as to when a series like this would actually end. This type of manga could go on for ever if the author wanted or end any time the author wants.

I know that but i can't be bothered with following another series right now...

ReBirth The Lunatic Taker 24

Trainwreck status: Achieved

Also, as much as I usually hate the thought train that most people find themselves on regarding characters like this, someone needs to kill the fuck outta Reiji, he's exceptionally bitch. :lol

I assume your talking the MC and if so yes he should die.

Hi guys, I don't know if this is the most recent manga thread but gunbo13 asked me to tell you guys that he will be back next thursday, he just has some IRL shit to sort out.

Toriko

The improvement is very nice. I am glad that Toriko´s improvement for once is not about evolving his cells. I am glad for Komatsu´s improvement as well.

Beelzebub

I am actually surprised that the 4 acknowledged Oga as their boss. Next week should be fun.

Soul Eater

Brilliant chapter. The witches are back, and they will play a vital part in defeating the clowns and the war against the Kishin. And Free is back. Yeah.

CWXgo.png
Lol, why are you so hurt?
There's a difference to leaving something deliberately vague and alluding to hidden depth, and just tacking on extra meaning to a throwaway Macguffin/statement.

OK. So Oda mentioning a rival for Vegapunk now without ever mentioning him before or alluding to him is a retcon. That´s a great point.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Hi guys, I don't know if this is the most recent manga thread but gunbo13 asked me to tell you guys that he will be back next thursday, he just has some IRL shit to sort out.
Tell him Stat Flow said "Fuck you gunbo"

Then tell him I said we'll welcome him back with open arms.

Thanks for the update

Big One

Banned
OK. So Oda mentioning a rival for Vegapunk now without ever mentioning him before or alluding to him is a retcon. That´s a great point.
There is a difference between introducing story elements and retcons.

A retcon is when...
Mayuri knowing that Quincies were still alive
Introducing a story element is when...
Revealing who fought Soul Society back during the Quincy slaughter.

Notice how people are perfectly fine with the entire existence of Buckbeard, and not fine with everything else?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Aaah so his ban was due to his own request?

Tell him that the folks of the Manga threads are wishing him well :)

Anyways, started reading Battle Angel Alita. The art is quite sharp and the fightings are done well, I like it. And it's refreshing to read one of these old-school mangas.

dzsTG.jpg

Speaking of old-school manga, I've never read Akira before. Is it good?

survivor

Banned
Soul Eater

Stuff happened, nobody was fighting and witches were trolling.

Feels like all that wait each month isn't worth it. Manga needs more pages and better action.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car

A retcon is when...

Notice how people are perfectly fine with the entire existence of Buckbeard, and not fine with everything else?
While I agree with what you're saying, I'm not so sure Mayuri having had suspected that there were some Quincy survivors is a retcon. It is actually common sense. I never actually thought that Ishida was the very last quincy alive (not counting his dad). The way his dad was speaking all cryptically (beating around the bush) during their conversation and shit...was enough evidence for that.

It's kind of like an "I told you so" moment. This isn't necessarily a retcon, because Mayuri actually having suspecting this fact 1) Makes sense, and 2) Does not drastically change the direction of the story/plot.

Not that it's great foreshadowing (or rather, foreshadowing at all) either. This is simply a reveal...

A retcon is when...

Mayuri did know the quincies are alive. Mayuri has a thousands of years info at his disposal he can research. Besides Ishida´s grandfather implied that there were other quincies left because of his fear of a new war.
Introducing an rival to one of the most important character is nothing short of shoehorning a new plot element without any elaboration or explanation or anything to allude about the existence and this very important rival to a a influential character in the manga. But the same happened with Sabo. And don´t even try to say that the Ace´s tattoo is a foreshadowing to anything.

survivor

Banned
Mayuri did know the quincies are alive. Mayuri has a thousands of years info at his disposal he can research.
Introducing an rival to one of the most important character is nothing short of shoehorning a new plot element (retcon) without any elaboration or explanation or anything to allude about the existence and this very important rival to a a influential character in the manga. But the same happened with Sabo. And don´t even try to say that the Ace´s tattoo is a foreshadowing to anything.

That's not what retcon means

survivor

Banned
Yes it is when said character has been so influential that he has never been mentioned before. Vegapunk having a rival is a retcon by itself.

Show me where in the manga it was stated that Vegapunk does not have a rival and then it will become a retcon. Otherwise it's not one no matter how disappointed you are with Caesar Clown's reveal.

ShinNL

First you don't know what foreshadowing is, now you don't know what a retcon is. Man, this is just ridiculous.

Edit: Darn you in-between posters, my post is obviously meant at the one guy who keeps trying and failing, a few posts up.

Edit2: I just noticed how the hilarious attempt to change the subject (from Bleach bashing to One Piece bashing) has failed so hard it went back to Bleach bashing.

Big One

Banned
Mayuri did know the quincies are alive. Mayuri has a thousands of years info at his disposal he can research. Besides Ishida´s grandfather implied that there were other quincies left because of his fear of a new war.
Introducing an rival to one of the most important character is nothing short of shoehorning a new plot element without any elaboration or explanation or anything to allude about the existence and this very important rival to a a influential character in the manga. But the same happened with Sabo. And don´t even try to say that the Ace´s tattoo is a foreshadowing to anything.
I guess that's why he was surprised that Ishida was a Quincy cause he thought they were all dead...derp.

And no, introducing a new story element is never a retcon. No one has problem with new story elements, unless the story elements are so unbelievably uneventful and stupid as the shit you see in Naruto.

A retcon is when you take previously established material and change it to fit the current criteria of the storyline. Nothing's been established about Vegapunk outside of a few, ambiguous details that are open up to everything. Bleach has always made it clear that Ishida and his father were the last of the Quincy, and everything thought they were, including Mayuri. A secret rogue sect of Quincies would've made perfect sense, but these guys aren't so secret to characters that shouldn't have known about them. Next we're going to have Isshin and Ishida's dad be all, "We knew about these guys all along, they're the REAL THREAT."

Of course, the "REAL THREAT" has always been ambiguous in Bleach. There's no problem with making up that plotpoint later, but when it conflicts with established material...it's a retcon.

First you don't know what foreshadowing is, now you don't know what a retcon is. Man, this is just ridiculous.

Edit: Darn you in-between posters, my post is obviously meant at the one guy who keeps trying and failing, a few posts up.

There is a quote feature you know...

and also

ibkDe5H9Xuj7Sv.gif

Mr. Fix

Yes it is when said character has been so influential that he has never been mentioned before. Vegapunk having a rival is a retcon by itself.
I'll give you that much. While I'm sure oda has the main structure of the story, he probably does throw in new stuff, maybe an extra island, or adding a planned plot point to a newly thought-up-of-island. But it's still alluding to Vegapunk, which is foreshadowing. Caesar's small-time anyway. With Bleach, we're talking about a huge chunk of this last arc. It's a bigger deal here.

I think the whole quincy thing was made up during the fullbring arc, especially Yamamoto's connection to Buckbeard. But what it is, is an add-on to the Royal Guard/SK plot, which has been clearly hinted at.

Or, I can be like you, and play a techinical and say: Vegapunk's a scientist, it isn't completely unheard of to have rival scientists, which is a tv trope anyway.

Show me where in the manga it was stated that Vegapunk does not have a rival and then it will become a retcon. Otherwise it's not one no matter how disappointed you are with Caesar Clown's reveal.

It was mentioned many times that Vegapunk is the most brilliant scientist, etc.... A rival would challenge that status, and there is nothing in the manga that has mentioned anyone that is on the same intellectual level of Vegapunk. If there was anyone on the same level of Vegapunk intellectually, it should have been hinted at or mentioned.

Edit2: I just noticed how the hilarious attempt to change the subject (from Bleach bashing to One Piece bashing) has failed so hard it went back to Bleach bashing.
Oh look, a guy who does does not know what he´s talking about entering the thread.

I'll give you that much. While I'm sure oda has the main structure of the story, he probably does throw in new stuff, maybe an extra island, or adding a planned plot point to a newly thought-up-of-island. But it's still alluding to Vegapunk, which is foreshadowing. Caesar's small-time anyway. With Bleach, we're talking about a huge chunk of this last arc. It's a bigger deal here.

I think the whole quincy thing was made up during the fullbring arc, especially Yamamoto's connection to Buckbeard. But what it is, is an add-on to the Royal Guard/SK plot, which has been clearly hinted at.

Or, I can be like you, and play a techinical and say: Vegapunk's a scientist, it isn't completely unheard of to have rival scientists, which is a tv trope anyway.
It was hinted at by Soken. How many times do i have to say the same thing. The quincy thing was at the beginning of Bleach.
That´s my point. It was stated that Vegapunk is the most brilliant scientist, and as such he should not have a rival in the first place.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I guess that's why he was surprised that Ishida was a Quincy cause he thought they were all dead...derp.
Actually, what he says is not that he thought they were all dead. He says "I haven't seen one of your kind in a long time" and that the Quincy are a "rare breed"...

This is a big difference and doesn't insinuate that he believed that all of them were dead.

Bleach has always made it clear that Ishida and his father were the last of the Quincy, and everything thought they were, including Mayuri. A secret rogue sect of Quincies would've made perfect sense, but these guys aren't so secret to characters that shouldn't have known about them.
This is based on an assumption from one sentence from Mayuri at the end of the latest chapter. We don't know what Mayuri "should" or "shouldn't" know based on what will be revealed about Buckbeard and Yamamoto in the upcoming chapters. There's plenty of ways this can be written that it makes sense and connects with what we were shown back in the Soul Society arc.

It's actually a possibility that the "one man" isn't even Buckbeard.

And no, introducing a new story element is never a retcon. No one has problem with new story elements, unless the story elements are so unbelievably uneventful and stupid as the shit you see in Naruto.

A retcon is when you take previously established material and change it to fit the current criteria of the storyline. Nothing's been established about Vegapunk outside of a few, ambiguous details that are open up to everything. Bleach has always made it clear that Ishida and his father were the last of the Quincy, and everything thought they were, including Mayuri. A secret rogue sect of Quincies would've made perfect sense, but these guys aren't so secret to characters that shouldn't have known about them. Next we're going to have Isshin and Ishida's dad be all, "We knew about these guys all along, they're the REAL THREAT."

Of course, the "REAL THREAT" has always been ambiguous in Bleach. There's no problem with making up that plotpoint later, but when it conflicts with established material...it's a retcon.
Reading comprehension FTW. Mayuri thought all the quincies were dead until he saw Ishida and investigated the matter.

survivor

Banned
It was mentioned many times that Vegapunk is the most brilliant scientist, etc.... A rival would challenge that status, and there is nothing in the manga that has mentioned anyone that is on the same intellectual level of Vegapunk. If there was anyone on the same level of Vegapunk intellectually, it should have been hinted at or mentioned.

Many times? One time was by Kuma when he was talking about the scientist that made him, other time by Drake which was for the same reason. Neither of these occasions had a reason to discus Clown or mention him. Very little is known about Vegapunk outside of these small panels left and right.

And even, none of what you said fits the definition of a retcon

That´s my point. It was stated that Vegapunk is the most brilliant scientist, and as such he should not have a rival in the first place.
This line of thinking makes no sense

ShinNL

Oh look, a guy who does does not know what he´s talking about entering the thread.
"Hey guys, I have the memory of a fish and I have nothing to say, because I know it's true that I have no clue what I'm talking about. Retcon, WTF is that LOL. Bleach is gud manga."

"Anything not foreshadowed is a retcon too! One Piece is full of retcons!!11!"

Oh yeah, I forgot, you also had no clue what foreshadowing is. Must be hard for you to argue about retcons and foreshadowing and normal plot reveals when you have no clue what 3 out of 3 are.

You're pretty entertaining... for someone who started this all with "hurr durr", yet ends up derping in every post.

Kusagari

There was no reason for Clown to be mentioned at all prior to this. He seemed to dabble more in warfare technology like WMDs, chemicals, etc. Just because he's Vegapunk's 'rival' doesn't mean he worked in the same field. What were characters supposed to randomly mention Clown, for no real reason, back when talking about Vegapunk's genius?

If anything, there is every reason to believe Clown really isn't that comparable a genius to Vegapunk at all. He might have been #2, but there was still likely a gigantic gap between the two.

It's nowhere near the kind of stupidity that Naruto, for example, had with Danzo randomly appearing in Part II and being this all important figure. The fact that Danzo didn't appear at all when they were looking for a Hokage in Part I is one of the biggest examples of a retcon in manga. It would have been perfect for him to move in then, but nope he wasn't mentioned and the Elders, who worship him in Part II, didn't even mention his name.

"Hey guys, I have the memory of a fish and I have nothing to say, because I know it's true that I have no clue what I'm talking about. Retcon, WTF is that LOL. Bleach is gud manga."

"Anything not foreshadowed is a retcon too! One Piece is full of retcons!!11!"

Oh yeah, I forgot, you also had no clue what foreshadowing is. Must be hard for you to argue about retcons and foreshadowing and normal plot reveals when you have no clue what 3 out of 3 are.

You're pretty entertaining... for someone who started this all with "hurr durr", yet ends up derping in every post.

How about you actually say something that has substance back it up in it instead of derping all the time. Instead you are a sheep,"OMG one piece is the best literature i have ever read". Well it actually shows.

Mr. Fix

I like you.

Also @above, thanks for mentioning Danzo. I let out a huge sigh when I found out he wasn't actually in part 1. But I guess that's part 2 for ya.

Mr. Fix

I thought it was pretty obvious by now Beam only hates OP fans who shit on Bleach. Whereas some OP fans hate on Bleach the actual show/manga because it's just plain bad or inferior (subjective brah, calm down) to OP.

vareon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retcon#cite_note-telegraph-1

Retroactive continuity (retcon for short) is the alteration of previously established facts in a fictional work.

Is not an established fact. You can call it shitty revelation, but not technically retcon. Unless you retconned the definition of retcon itself.

Maken-ki

Jesus christ, I thought the old dude would be invincible and the group would have to run away. Minori is packing some ridiculous strength.

Wiseblade

There's no point arguing. Beam loses the ability to think rationally when it comes to One Piece. It's like he feels the need to balance out all the praise it gets by irrationally hating on it.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Maken-ki

Jesus christ, I thought the old dude would be invincible and the group would have to run away. Minori is packing some ridiculous strength.

expect the old man to come back with some bullshit power, and when the scenario looks bleak, takeru drops the weights and pulls out some bs variant of his own powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom