• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
It´s not a technicality one bit. Kubo does this a lot. He makes vague comments than elaborates on them later on like the shinigami badge. You dismissed them as retcon.

CWXgo.png

survivor

Banned
If i remember right don't shoujo sell a fair amount same for that yaoi stuff.

Probably but they should at least pay attention to their other labels. When is the last time they picked up new shit for their Viz Signature lineup?

Hell, why aren't they picking up new shounen manga like Beelzebub, Magi or Sket Dance? Wasn't that supposed to be their specialty?

scy

the thing that gets me about the man-made ones is that they're canon and that hurts the immersion (well to begin with the fact he credits all the fans in between panels hurts the most, might as well put "THIS DOESN'T EXIST IT'S MANGA I DREW THIS" between every panel, but y'know), shouldn't be like that

Hm ... that's true. I guess I just liked the fact that they were reader submissions enough to not care about the "psst, THX GUY @location 4 IDEA" notes.

But think of the shoujo fans!

...actually, wait, I did like Kaikan Phrase.

survivor

Banned
I resent the implication that shojo isn't good manga! And I'm really liking Strobe Edge so far.

I'm just bitter cause they are not bringing the manga I want.

I guess I can always count on Yen Press these days to bring classy manga like Thermae Romae.

upandaway

Magi

Crybaby Hakuryuu twist just got him +10 points on my list. And gotta love Mor nearly snapping when he lashed at Alibaba.

Whew, okay I'm calm now. I laughed good. Poor Zagan, didn't know what was happening :lol

This screws a bit with Zagan recognizing him though. I still hope he does, but he should favor Alibaba after that.

Wiseblade

It´s not a technicality one bit. Kubo does this a lot. He makes vague comments than elaborates on them later on like the shinigami badge. You dismissed them as retcon.

There's a difference to leaving something deliberately vague and alluding to hidden depth, and just tacking on extra meaning to a throwaway Macguffin/statement.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I resent the implication that shojo isn't good manga! And I'm really liking Strobe Edge so far.

It's just hackneyed as shonen is, but generally about super hot guys.

Bakuman

Eh... that was pretty lackluster for a final chapter, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised since the romance was the worst part of this series...

To Love-ru Darkness 18.5

Dat pettanko

upandaway

Buyuden

Swimming? Huh. Didn't see that coming. So weird seeing Isamu tanking hits. That's so damn weird.

And we better get another skip to a thin Moka again, I've seen enough of that shit.

I laughed at "I STAB U SO HARD U NO WISH I STAB U SO HARD" guy. That guy. I swear, that guy.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Btw I knew it was body switching shenanigans from the first second.

Although I had my doubts halfway through.

Zekes!

I just read the last Bakuman chapter, even though I stopped at chapter 30 something. The ending doesn't make me want to want to go back and continue it, I'll say that much

survivor

Banned
I just read the last Bakuman chapter, even though I stopped at chapter 30 something. The ending doesn't make me want to want to go back and continue it, I'll say that much

You didn't miss much. Just assume that Detective Trap got serialized, was made into an anime and now Mashiro proposed to Azuki.

Prison School 33

Kyoshi cant catch a break, from one frying pan to another. And dem vice prez breasts <3

Soul Eater 97

So they were negotiating with the witches. And Justin is really gone.

neoanarch

Sounds like I made a somewhat wise decision when I bailed out on that stupid promise at the start.

Eh. The majority of the ride was fun, interesting reading with some truly likeable characters. The romance plot and resolution were ass the entire way through. The perfect resolution would have been Miho and Mashiro getting together regardless of their success. The uncles self-promise was a huge mistake and Mashiro discovering that would have been perfect character growth. I guess you can't really send that sort of message in Jump though.

Articalys

Turns out that winning the Manga Taisho award is a real sales-booster.
Silver Spoon, Fullmetal Alchemist creator Hiromu Arakawa's manga about a boy's life in an agricultural high school, has printed one million more copies in less than one month. Before the manga won this year's Manga Taisho (Cartoon Grand Prize) on March 23, its three compiled book volumes had 1.5 million copies. Shogakukan then ordered additional printings, and as of this week, the manga has a new grand total of 2.5 million copies.

The Manga Taisho award has only been around for five years, but it has significant influence since the winners are selected by bookstore staff members from all over Japan. Media Factory's Da Vinci magazine said that Silver Spoon "seems to have anime adaptation plans" like several previous winners have had.

Shogakukan only ran 330,000 copies for the first print run of the first Silver Spoon volume last July, and had to order an additional printing after 90,000 sold in the volume's first three days of sale. By December, there were one million copies printed of the first two volumes. Mainichi Shimbun paper's Mantan Web anticipates that each of Silver Spoon's three volumes will eventually be a million-copy best seller.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Flawfuls, what's a good great manga with a MC like Light from Death Note? Preferably with better than worse art, too.

Kreed

Silver Spoon:

Same here i was waiting for it to done before i start reading it .
I wonder if this sales boost means i have to wait even longer now .

Congrats to her on the win and the sales boost.

More likely i'm gonna wait until its done

You guys do know Silver Spoon is a "slice of life" manga about farming? There's nothing to "wait for" with this series vs Full Metal Alchemist where there was a "big bad" to defeat. There are continuing story lines/plot elements but you could pick up the manga in chapter 30 or chapter 2 and you wouldn't really be lost. And because of that there's no real indication as to when a series like this would actually end. This type of manga could go on for ever if the author wanted or end any time the author wants.

flawfuls

Flawfuls, what's a good great manga with a MC like Light from Death Note? Preferably with better than worse art, too.

Well I know of a few manga with total Light clones like Zennou no Noa, Lost+Brain and the Code Geass manga, but I haven't actually read them beyond chapter 1 so I can't vouch for their quality.

Silver Spoon:
You guys do know Silver Spoon is a "slice of life" manga about farming? There's nothing to "wait for" with this series vs Full Metal Alchemist where there was a "big bad" to defeat. There are continuing story lines/plot elements but you could pick up the manga in chapter 30 or chapter 2 and you wouldn't really be lost. And because of that there's no real indication as to when a series like this would actually end. This type of manga could go on for ever if the author wanted or end any time the author wants.

Yeah i know it is a slice of life , just don't really want to start to read any new series unless it finish .
It has been that way for me for the last few years when it comes to manga.

survivor

Banned
Chihayafuru Manga Released in Bilingual Edition in Japan
Kodansha began selling a bilingual edition of Yuki Suetsugu's first two Chihayafuru manga volumes in Japan in December and February. Chihayafuru is the latest Kodansha manga title to receive an English/Japanese edition in Japan. This story, which follows a school girl competing in the Japanese card game of karuta, won the second Manga Taisho (Cartoon Grand Prize) and inspired a television anime series.

Kodansha restarted the bilingual manga program in 2006, and added the following titles since then:

Nodame Cantabile
President Kosaku Shima (continuation of Division Chief Kosaku Shima)
Angel Bank
Ghost in the Shell: Man Machine Interface
Chihayafuru

This is so cool. I knew about Ghost of the Shell but I thought that was a one time thing. It's pretty great of them to pick Chihayafuru.

This is how it looks like from Amazon
ftNsg.jpg

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Well I know of a few manga with total Light clones like Zennou no Noa, Lost+Brain and the Code Geass manga, but I haven't actually read them beyond chapter 1 so I can't vouch for their quality.
So is that because you just weren't grabbed by the first chapter or you never had the time to get past it?

Thanks breh.

Lain

I've read the first volume of this (which is only 3 volumes long), and I think it's avoidable (I regret having bought it). DN clone with hypnotism. Art wasn't all that bad but too cheesy.

flawfuls

So is that because you just weren't grabbed by the first chapter or you never had the time to get past it?

Thanks breh.

Well to be honest I'm not really a fan of Light like protagonists. I just find them to be huge unlikable jerks and cannot sympathize with them at all.

Though now that I think about it there is one manga with a similar kind of character that I liked. Ushijima the Loan Shark. The difference here is that you are not supposed to do anything resembling sympathizing with Ushijima. He is just a horrible person doing horrible things to horrible people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom