• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Aoi Hana 43:
LESBIAN.

SEX.

Almost.

vareon

PRINCE OF TENNIS

I can't... Holy shit, I can't read this.

At first I thought since I like tennis I should probably try reading one of the (apparently) more well known manga series about it... but right now, it is precisely because I like Tennis I just cannot afford to continue reading it.

What the fuck? With these kind of Ninja skills these guys can spank even Federer or Nadal with their hands tied behind their back! Ridiculous.

You're not familiar with the genre? Sports with ridiculous techniques have a long history. After all Tezuka killed all the dinosaurs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBqBCMpn4ZE

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Once you let it go, it's a fun ride just to see the extent of ridiculousness. 10 balls at once? lol np. SHAPESHIFTING! ILLUSIONS!

The problem is, I don't really like the characters (they are too 'perfect' for my taste). Honest question: is Prince of Tennis actually shoujo manga? Because usually these types of characters I usually associate with shoujo mangas (plus the way Sakuno went oooh aaaah towards Ryoma)

Psh, if Federer can't do a Federer Zone, it's only because Tezuka is better than him, not because it's not doable!

Has any real tennis player get a mention in the manga? Cause these guys are supposed to be playing in high-school level but holy shit! What kind of world-destroying techniques the pro are using in their world if high-school level players can use those kind of moves?

Man that is one of the reason i enjoy the show .
I watch and read a fair amount of sports stuff and while it's cool to see it in a realistic setting sometimes .
There are times where i want to see them go crazy will all sort of special skills where impossible shit happens.

You're not familiar with the genre? Sports with ridiculous techniques have a long history. After all Tezuka killed all the dinosaurs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBqBCMpn4ZE

I actually have no problem with "fantastic" sport mangas: you know, where characters unleashing physic-defying techniques with no abandon. But in regards to Prince of Tennis, my disappointment is mainly caused by:
1. Manga about tennis is rare. The only one that I can think of besides Prince of Tennis is Happy!
2. The manga starts "realistically"--well, sure super boy genius might not be that realistic but at the very least it is still within reasonable boundaries (for mangas). The art is rather good too, so at first I was rather excited in reading it. But I am very disappointed when the ninja techniques started to appear :( It feels like... it feels like the author is "cheating", you know? If the manga carried the ridiculous tone from the very beginning I don't think I'd be this disappointed.

Ah well......

Solune

I haven't read Shonan 14 Days yet. I should work on that.

I'm also starting to lose my patience with stuff like Claymore. It's like month after month of build up and it will all be over in one page half a year later. Maybe I don't have patience or something...

Maybe if they cut out half of the god damn useless banter and explanations. This isn't a weekly shounen for god's sake. >.<
Shonan 14 Days should be done scanlating soon. It was such a glorious return for me even though it was the standard fare for GTO. It's one of the series that I would not care at all if it went for as long as Ippo because it's so god damn entertaining.

As for Claymore... I see alot of complaints about dragging and not giving a damn about the current characters and wanting Clare back asap. To be honest I don't really care, Norihiro can do as he pleases for me. I haven't lost interest in his world or his characters. I do understand where people are coming from though, it doesn't help that despite being monthly Claymore sometimes barely pushes out more pages than weekly series, and that's underwhelming.

I do think that Norihiro does need to progress the story further and faster, because monthly pacing is atrocious especially when people are following it actively. Right now though I like that Raki has had some screen time but I do admit I want to see what has happened to Clare as well.
Aoi Hana 43:
LESBIAN.

SEX.

Almost.

"How do two girls do it"?

Griffith

Banned
Parasyte

That sucks what happened to Shin's mum :(

I really like the designs of the parasytes and the way they attack, especially the way their heads just split and unravel.

ahhh... reading Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles.

Having only watched the anime a bit... I find the art to be a lot better/consistent here. And Sakura is cute as a button =(

The whole plot is a bit tragic though >.>"

Biggest flaw of the anime was the huge second season diversion, would have been great if the entire manga had been animated. Art and character designs really nice, love all the outfits they gave the cast. Syaoran one of my favorite characters ever, ah Kurogane too.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Parasyte

That sucks what happened to Shin's mum :(

I really like the designs of the parasytes and the way they attack, especially the way their heads just split and unravel.

This manga is very memorable for me.

It is the first manga where I feel physically uncomfortable while reading it.

Verelios

It's probably the most confusing story ever too.

Are you referring to Resevoir or the entire Clamp storyline in general. Because holy shit, I have no idea how they can cram that many stories into one...general continuity...I think.

I actually got lost at the end of XXXHolic. I was okay until about 160, and then I was gone.

flawfuls

I actually have no problem with "fantastic" sport mangas: you know, where characters unleashing physic-defying techniques with no abandon. But in regards to Prince of Tennis, my disappointment is mainly caused by:
1. Manga about tennis is rare. The only one that I can think of besides Prince of Tennis is Happy!
2. The manga starts "realistically"--well, sure super boy genius might not be that realistic but at the very least it is still within reasonable boundaries (for mangas). The art is rather good too, so at first I was rather excited in reading it. But I am very disappointed when the ninja techniques started to appear :( It feels like... it feels like the author is "cheating", you know? If the manga carried the ridiculous tone from the very beginning I don't think I'd be this disappointed.

Ah well......

There is also Baby Steps. A better shounen tennis manga than Prince of Tennis at least. Then again I have a very hard time thinking of a sports manga worse than Prince of Tennis. How did that shit ever get so popular?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It is somewhat entertaining if you can turn your brain off. I haven't read it in years though.

PoT was a WSJ series, so no, not shoujo. The entire series is a sausage fest.

They are in middle school. lol.

There is also Baby Steps. A better shounen tennis manga than Prince of Tennis at least. Then again I have a very hard time thinking of a sports manga worse than Prince of Tennis. How did that shit ever get so popular?

It's actually a Shounen............... really.......? With so many bishounen-style characters like that....?

Huh.......... o______O

iavi

I've pretty much just come to terms with Baby Steps being one of those manga that I'll never get into, but try to repeatedly, for some reason. I've tried 2 or 3 times now.

Cookie18

Bakuman

This is my first Manga that I bought a few weeks ago because I'm a fan of Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata's work on Death Note (I've only seen the films thus far). I am honestly quite surprised with how I have taken to it and I am glad I went with Bakuman over Death Note since it's nice reading a completely new story. I've only read the first two volumes so far and I think I am going to order the remaining volumes that have been released here in one go.

Great thread and I look forward to finding new stuff to read from it. Subscribed :)

vareon

The problem is, I don't really like the characters (they are too 'perfect' for my taste). Honest question: is Prince of Tennis actually shoujo manga? Because usually these types of characters I usually associate with shoujo mangas (plus the way Sakuno went oooh aaaah towards Ryoma)

Has any real tennis player get a mention in the manga? Cause these guys are supposed to be playing in high-school level but holy shit! What kind of world-destroying techniques the pro are using in their world if high-school level players can use those kind of moves?

Ah well......

I see. Well IMO Prince of Tennis isn't that good anyway so you're not missing much. My guess is PoT gained a much bigger female fanbase than males so the stories started adapting to them. So if you don't like the ridiculous shots, all you have left is pretty boys smiling at each other.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Alright, just read the first volume of Baby Steps.

So far, so good :)

Hmmm... this manga is already loads better than Prince of Tennis in terms of depicting the sport. The author, so far, has done a pretty good job to describe tennis in a "realistic" way.

It's Wednesday. Our first wednesday of OT5. Let's goooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Soon we should be getting some spoilers .

Edit some spoilers out for OP not much but i post them anyway .
Sanji, Chopper, and the children arrive where Law and Smoker are.
They say "It's the Marines!" and run back towards the castle.
The Marines pursue.
Law stops them (has the scope of his "Room" gotten wider?) and makes the Navy ship float (in the air, I assume)

speaking of prince of tennis. wtf is up with the 'new manga' series? Is this just fanfiction now? Is there even a 'plot' anymore? All I'm getting is random matchups.

Big One

Banned
Leaked spoilers -

Bleach:
*crickets chirp*
Ichigo: Sup
Rukia: 'Kay
Orihime: Ichigo-kun!
*new villain*: ICHIGO KUROSAKI-KUUUUN!

Naruto:
It is revealed that Sasuke must fight Naruto butt naked to gain the infinite Sharingan once and for all so he, Madara, Itachi, and the Uchiha clan can rule the warld! RIP Tsunade and her titties.

speaking of prince of tennis. wtf is up with the 'new manga' series? Is this just fanfiction now? Is there even a 'plot' anymore? All I'm getting is random matchups.

The new series seem like author wanted some fast money .
It has no plot at all really , random match ups and now we have high school students who suppose to be so great when half the people there suppose to be able to play at pro level .
To make matter worst this takes place right after Nationals it rather stupid to tell the truth .

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
There's no Bleach this week?!?!?! WTF. My week is ruined.

.....I guess I could just create a 17 page blank pdf and it would be a reasonable and believable substitute.

Big One

Banned
Naruto

"Madara realizes that Tsunade can revive herself without using any seals, the same ability that Hashirama had."

"Madara insists that all jutsu are useless against him."

"Sasuke and Itachi team up to stop Kabuto."

vqAED.jpg

Tobe

PRINCE OF TENNIS

I can't... Holy shit, I can't read this.

At first I thought since I like tennis I should probably try reading one of the (apparently) more well known manga series about it... but right now, it is precisely because I like Tennis I just cannot afford to continue reading it.

What the fuck? With these kind of Ninja skills these guys can spank even Federer or Nadal with their hands tied behind their back! Ridiculous.

holy shit, for a second there i though kabaji was imitating niou and niou was imitating tezuka:lol. i kinda feel ripped off that chapter 74 oonly had 10 pages

Naruto

"Madara realizes that Tsunade can revive herself without using any seals, the same ability that Hashirama had."

Man sometimes things sound worst than the really are .

So i just read the full spoilers for naruto and i just don't know what to say other than WTF .
Well i guess it don't matter since i going to read until it ends.

Big One

Banned
Hunter x Hunter spoilers

Dude...what the hell? This shit sounds fucking awesome. What the hell?!?! Why is Togashi going on hiatus all of a sudden?!

Hunter x Hunter spoilers

Good news is that we're seeing Kurapika next week and the manga isn't ending.

Bad news is that we're going on another hiatus. Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-03-14/hunter-x-hunter-manga-longest-uninterrupted-run-to-end

As much as it was expected i still laughed out loud in real life.

AYO FUCK THIS SHIT B. Fuck. This. Shit.

I didn't know I signed up for this. When I decided to start Hunter X Hunter I thought that the hiatus thing was for the specific time period...that it would be different this time. I was a fool.

well there were rumors that it would happen again after he came back...

Naruto

Wasn't much of a strech though

Hunter x Hunter spoilers

Dude...what the hell? This shit sounds fucking awesome. What the hell?!?! Why is Togashi going on hiatus all of a sudden?!

Togashi just wanted some more spending money even thought he already got allot 3 Vols going to add to the cash fund .
So he can now rest for a while .

True but still....
Man DTL is going to love this i can already see him talking about brotherly love .

Big One

Banned
It is a stretch. Kishimoto can't make up his mind on what he wants to do with Sasuke. One chapter he's straight up, "DUN DUN DUN DUN" evil, another he's a just a whiny brat, and now he's an ally of justice. There has been no character development that has caused this change; it just happens, just because. Naruto has always been this way because Kishimoto doesn't know how to write character development.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom