• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

TLR D

If only Kotegawa loved Rito's eyes as much as she loves the rest of his body, it might be possible to pretend her fantasies are the real manga.

Hayate no Gotoku

All caught up. Not much to say other than fun things are happening.
What did you think about her losing the money (and subsequently owning a house where eventually all the cast lives in)

Haikyu

Those jumps are still crazy. It's a wonder he doesn't crash into the net like that, geez.

Lain

Lindbergh vol 1
b9264368cf60138e97f98ee7b78b34106dafe444.png

This was nice. Story follows a guy, Knit, who dreams of flying like his father (who died trying to fly and became a criminal because in Eldora trying to fly is banned) and his pet "dragon" Plamo, who later is said to be a Lindbergh.
Shark, the man that arrives crashing down on Eldora on his own Lindbergh is higly suspicious, as it's shown when he kidnaps Plamo and hides him, or when he's out researching some ruins. I'm all for Knit following his dream of flying, but leaving Eldora with Shark, separating from Morin, his childhood friend with a crush on him, and Nanna, the older sister of Morin and a friend of Knit's father (whom she was in love with, or so it's implied), made me sad.

The art is really nice and imho distinctive (I love Nanna's design and the expressivity of the faces of all the people), though the design of Plamo doesn't sit too well with me

What did you think about her losing the money (and subsequently owning a house where eventually all the cast lives in)

Definitely not what I expected since the whole hook in the first place was "unlucky teenager gets debt, lives in luxurious mansion as a butler". Gota give props to the author for shaking up the status quo like that (though we've kind of been given a new status quo now).

Lindbergh vol 1
http://i.picpar.com/b9264368cf60138e97f98ee7b78b34106dafe444.png[/ig]

This was nice. Story follows a guy, Knit, who dreams of flying like his father (who died trying to fly and became a criminal because in Eldora trying to fly is banned) and his pet "dragon" Plamo, who later is said to be a Lindbergh.
Shark, the man that arrives crashing down on Eldora on his own Lindbergh is higly suspicious, as it's shown when he kidnaps Plamo and hides him, or when he's out researching some ruins. I'm all for Knit following his dream of flying, but leaving Eldora with Shark, separating from Morin, his childhood friend with a crush on him, and Nanna, the older sister of Morin and a friend of Knit's father (whom she was in love with, or so it's implied), made me sad.

The art is really nice and imho distinctive (I love Nanna's design and the expressivity of the faces of all the people), though the design of Plamo doesn't sit too well with me[/QUOTE]

Is that just an adventure one (how many volumes)? It actually looks and sounds pretty fun (and has a dragon).

[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3cb69KOrP1r09tqxo2_250.png
tumblr_m3cb69KOrP1r09tqxo5_250.png

tumblr_m3cb69KOrP1r09tqxo2_250.png

tumblr_m3cb69KOrP1r09tqxo6_250.png

Well Viz is polling for what they will add to SJAlpha, although Id want Reborn and Haikyu!!

Beelzebub
Genson! Kodai Seibutsu-shi Pakki
Gintama
Haikyu!!
Hunter x Hunter
Inumarudahii
Reborn!
Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Koen-mae Hashutsujo
Koisome Momiji
Kurogana
Kuroko no Basuke
Magico
Medaka Box
Nisekoi
Pajama na Kanoko
Sket Dance

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why don't they just run every series that is in Jump? People on the internet do this for free. It can't cost more than a few hundred dollars to translate a series, particularly not with a 3 week bumper between getting the raw and putting it out. I mean, they've already got an agreement with Shuiesha and none of these series are particularly super-popular.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Well Viz is polling for what they will add to SJAlpha, although Id want Reborn and Haikyu!!

Beelzebub
Gintama
Haikyu!!
Hunter x Hunter
Inumarudahii
Reborn!
Koisome Momiji
Kurogana
Kuroko no Basuke
Magico
Medaka Box
Nisekoi
Pajama na Kanoko
Sket Dance

Screw that, I'm entering for the collections.
Also, Pakki is dead. Cancelled due to being stupid shit.

Lain

Is that just an adventure one (how many volumes)? It actually looks and sounds pretty fun (and has a dragon).

It would seem so. It's ongoing with 5 volumes so far and the first volume is fun indeed, though these dragons are weird. As can be seen on the cover, they don't have real wings, their wings are just built by people and put on them.

survivor

Banned
I once thought we were nakama, I may have to rethink my life now.
:(

Beelzebub
Gintama
Haikyu!!
Hunter x Hunter
Inumarudahii
Reborn!
Koisome Momiji
Kurogana
Kuroko no Basuke
Magico
Medaka Box
Nisekoi
Pajama na Kanoko
Sket Dance

I voted for these. I was gonna pick HxH but that will be a ripoff.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Addicted to Curry

Is this good? Skimming some of the chapters... it seems like there's a surprisingly decent amount of romance in this one.

Why don't they just run every series that is in Jump? People on the internet do this for free. It can't cost more than a few hundred dollars to translate a series, particularly not with a 3 week bumper between getting the raw and putting it out. I mean, they've already got an agreement with Shuiesha and none of these series are particularly super-popular.

Contests like these are a decent cheap advertizing opportunity. If they just do everything from the beginning, they can't pretend to improve.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The romance is so normal it hurts. I'm only really reading it for the curry recipes.

The art from what I have seen is rather inconsistent too, hmmm. I think I'm going to skip it.

Anyways, reading this right now:

Kanojo_wo_Mamoru_51_no_Houhou.jpg

Chronicling the story of Tokyo getting hit by a huge earthquake. Not really feeling the atmosphere so far but I suppose after reading Dragon Head all apocalypse manga seems so inferior in terms of atmosphere :(

I've only read the first volume though so hopefully this one can get better, we'll see.

Big One

Banned
Part 3 of JoJo isn't that exciting so far. Granted, I'm only on chapter 136, but still.
The more memorable stuff comes with time tbh. The later fights in particular are really awesome.

Part 3 is kind of overrated though. Personally I think Part 5 and SBR is better. Part 3 is just most popular and has Dio Brando in his prime as the central villain, which is always awesome.

neoanarch

The art from what I have seen is rather inconsistent too, hmmm. I think I'm going to skip it.

Anyways, reading this right now:

Kanojo_wo_Mamoru_51_no_Houhou.jpg

Chronicling the story of Tokyo getting hit by a huge earthquake. Not really feeling the atmosphere so far but I suppose after reading Dragon Head all apocalypse manga seems so inferior in terms of atmosphere :(

I've only read the first volume though so hopefully this one can get better, we'll see.

cover looks familiar. I've read it before. Run of the mill disaster manga. nothing in the genre matches the greatness of A Spirit of the Sun. still by far one of the greatest stories in the disaster genre I've ever read.

flawfuls

Was A Spirit of the Sun ever fully translated? I remember reading and loving it ages ago, but I'm pretty sure I couldn't finish it.

Azure J

Late but what the hell:

Medaka Box

Naze is still best Kurokami by far. Interesting setup Zen's got here now. Can't wait to see what happens when he crashes the party.

Beelzebub

Nice to see the big four not completely buckle over and need to be saved by Oga as per the norm in this genre. I wonder what this guy's deal is dealing with Oga so enthusiastically.

neoanarch

The disaster part is the first volume. You can read it as a stand alone as the second part is a time skip and has very little to do with the first volume.

Kurogane no Linebarrel 79

Holy shit did this storyline get crazy. Kouichi being a boss and teleport smacking people around like a pinball a la DBZ is awesome. He's on some next level Id Mode Weltall shit now.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Where did you here that? If true, that might beat out Shaman King for being the most abrupt cancellation of a popular series.

Claire sucks. Awesome people show up and wreck shit. Then they cut off their useful body parts and stuff them into Claire.

Claire still manages to suck and need more transplants.

So I guess for the finale they just give up and swap out her brain...

Claire sucks. Awesome people show up and wreck shit. Then they cut off their useful body parts and stuff them into Claire.

Claire still manages to suck and need more transplants.

So I guess for the finale they just give up and swap out her brain...

Raki kills last boss solo then tells Clare how much she sucks at being the main character.

Make it happen.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
hasnt clare been dead for awhile now?

she stays dead, priscilla wanders to the mainland, the organization makes their superweapon and leaves to go fight their war, raki makes many babies with his new claymore harem.

smurfx

get some go again
if claymore ends then i wonder if there might be a claymore 2 and this focuses on the mainland. wonder if its ending because the writer is sick or something and can't continue.

smurfx

get some go again
Rumour on 2chan is that Claymore ends at ch126 and a sequel with a different name starts next issue.
ah makes sense if that is the case. now that raki is back in the picture he might be the leading person in the next manga. that and we will hopefully see what the mainland is about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom