• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

Haikyuu!!

The setup between setter and spiker really reminds me of a battery in baseball. I like sports bros.

Anagle Mole

Hey, another one of those big brothers.

Does any other manga do this besides Anagle Mole and Hayate the Combat Butler? They're pretty badass.

Big One

Banned
This is probably old but I've been working in my new job for the past week so I haven't kept up with this thread lately. I apologize if this was already posted but...

Oda on the final arc of the series

Questioner: Many are looking forward to what happens next in One Piece could you give us a message for them?

ODA: One thing that keeps me motivated to keep drawing One Piece is that I want to draw the last chapter. The last chapter is amazing! I imagine a final chapter that will make Marinefold arc look like nothing!

Questioner: Seriously?!

ODA: The Marinefold arc really felt like a side trip to me. I didn't expect it to be so popular. So I don't know how readers will take this one. But the thing I think is interesting will be in that last chapter. Until then I would like as many of the fans as possible to stick with me.

survivor

Banned
"The Marinefold arc really felt like a side trip to me. I didn't expect it to be so popular."

How did you expect an arc that has the strongest fighters in the OP world wrecking shit to not be very popular? Come on Oda.

Hopefully he can gauge his audience better, since that was the second best arc after alabasta/goa kingdom, makes me a bit worried over just what he will do with the actual thing that is the one piece, if its just some sheet of paper that says "believe in yourself"...

Mr. Fix

Questioner: Many are looking forward to what happens next in One Piece could you give us a message for them?

ODA: One thing that keeps me motivated to keep drawing One Piece is that I want to draw the last chapter. The last chapter is amazing! I imagine a final chapter that will make Marinefold arc look like nothing!

Questioner: Seriously?!

ODA: The Marinefold arc really felt like a side trip to me. I didn't expect it to be so popular. So I don't know how readers will take this one. But the thing I think is interesting will be in that last chapter. Until then I would like as many of the fans as possible to stick with me.

Fuck yeah! He's building it all up. The Revolutionaries, all the yonkou perhaps, supernovas, new/ old faces. Hnnnggghh.

gunbo13

Denpa Kyoushi

vVdqk.png

Oh good, another series has turned creepy.

Femme Fatale 1-END

I need to not read these kinds of mangas. My attention span checked out after a few chapters and I had no idea what was motivating anyone to do anything or what the fuck was wrong with everyone.

Is Medaka Box worth reading? I tried it ages ago and dropped it after about 6-7 chapters, but I've heard it goes through a pretty radical shift shortly after that which hopefully makes it more entertaining.

Kreed

One Piece:

Hell i would do the same the last arc is going to make the Marinefold arc look like a joke , keep on reading for the next 10 years to find out .

This right here is why that quote is unimportant. Forget getting hyped for the last chapter, no way in hell anyone in this topic even remembers this quote 10+ years from now. Hell most of us won't be posting in GAF Manga threads that long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_aw...s doesn't mean it doesn't fit the stereotype.

Mr. Fix

Ugh. Please no. The Marineford is already a clusterfuck of an arc as it is, and Oda wants to add MORE?

Dude needs to calm his ass down.

How so brah? I mean, compared to Bleach I would see why you'd feel that way. There's so much more going on, especially with the use of actual backgrounds. We're talking about a war here. Not some gang fight.

Is Medaka Box worth reading? I tried it ages ago and dropped it after about 6-7 chapters, but I've heard it goes through a pretty radical shift shortly after that which hopefully makes it more entertaining.

It genre shifts at like chapter 14 and then just keeps getting crazier and crazier. So yeah, I'd say it's worth reading.

Maron

Ugh. Please no. The Marineford is already a clusterfuck of an arc as it is, and Oda wants to add MORE?

Dude needs to calm his ass down.

I didn't take it to mean that the final chapter has to be a giant clusterfuck of a brawl between everybody in the known OP universe. I just thought he meant the chapter will be very good from a storytelling perspective. I know Oda loves drawing fights but he also knows how important story is, I doubt he'd make the final chapter mostly about fighting.

Must be torture for him. He's had this ending in his head since he started the series. Wonder how many times he's done storyboards of it over the decade and-a-half OP has been running.

gunbo13

Freezing (fake pandora arc)

So Dal-Young has a bad rap. And Legend of Maian is his best running work, which doesn't get as many reads as Freezing. Freezing does bring the hype though. Crazy nova shit, experiments gone wrong, battles between the best pandora, etc... The last arc especially went from total shit to pretty damn good shit.

It's unfortunate that the series is also riddled with issues. Inconsistent art at times having awful mistakes, nonsensical reasoning, a narrator appearing out of fucking nowhere, girls who you can't tell apart, Voltron type monster merging ignoring conservation of mass, incest bros to save the day, no arms / no problem -> stomach wound / KO, mach 3 vs. mach 4 (what?), limiters being forced to matter, etc... So much bullshit but still entertaining. There is even some drama that pulls at you a bit, only ending when you realize that the characters make no sense with any of their justifications.

I'll also just say that first chronicle was just way too short. It went from yuri voyeurism to blood bath way too quick. And were they going for the panty shot per page record? I mean, damn. Disappointing but it is a good read to learn about Chiffon, especially considering what is going on in Freezing vanilla.

Zekes!

I'd read it just because it becomes fucking ridiculous and stupid(ly cool) later on.

Freezing (fake pandora arc)

So Dal-Young has a bad rap. And Legend of Maian is his best running work, which doesn't get as many reads as Freezing. Freezing does bring the hype though. Crazy nova shit, experiments gone wrong, battles between the best pandora, etc... The last arc especially went from total shit to pretty damn good shit.

It's unfortunate that the series is also riddled with issues. Inconsistent art at times having awful mistakes, nonsensical reasoning, a narrator appearing out of fucking nowhere, girls who you can't tell apart, Voltron type monster merging ignoring conservation of mass, incest bros to save the day, no arms / no problem -> stomach wound / KO, mach 3 vs. mach 4 (what?), limiters being forced to matter, etc... So much bullshit but still entertaining. There is even some drama that pulls at you a bit, only ending when you realize that the characters make no sense with any of their justifications.

I'll also just say that first chronicle was just way too short. It went from yuri voyeurism to blood bath way too quick. And were they going for the panty shot per page record? I mean, damn. Disappointing but it is a good read to learn about Chiffon, especially considering what is going on in Freezing vanilla.

Haven't kept up with freezing for a while now but is that MC still a whiny ass bitch who would occasionally go badass due to his broke ass ability?

gunbo13

Haven't kept up with freezing for a while now but is that MC still a whiny ass bitch who would occasionally go badass due to his broke ass ability?
Yep.

But coincidentally, the latest chapter is going into some BS where they are going to level up the freezing ability. It's going to be really dumb based on first impression. However, I would ignore the MC and all the annoying freezers. The girls are the main characters and some of them are pretty good. Best are Chiffon, Cassie, and Lana in that order. The clever part of Freezing is the usage of the nova as a power source. So the girls are always pulling out hidden stuff, breaking limits, etc... and it doesn't feel idiotic (though pretty much everything else is). So it is fun to see how they evolve or get revealed like Chiffon's ridiculousness.

Zekes!

I never really understood what the Freezing ability even did, or how it was supposed to help out the Pandoras. Did it literally just freeze shit?

I stopped reading after the incredibly terrible mishandling of Satella's abusive brother.

One Piece:

This right here is why that quote is unimportant. Forget getting hyped for the last chapter, no way in hell anyone in this topic even remembers this quote 10+ years from now. Hell most of us won't be posting in GAF Manga threads that long.

I've been posting on manga forums since 2002, so...

Air Gear 140-174
tumblr_m3mx8r50L01qbxqfpo1_500.png

Tower that goes so far into the Earth that they can simulate zero gravity conditions, gravity children, and an actual character death. The arc was pretty good. I just dont know how I feel about the girl getting the pole struck through her and all that fire stuff with Sano, Sora(2), and Spitfire. I liked Agito and Ikki's random location to location thing since they are essentially homeless, and Kazu got the fire regalia. Ringo and the rest of sleeping forest need to get destroyed.

Dina

I never really understood what the Freezing ability even did, or how it was supposed to help out the Pandoras. Did it literally just freeze shit?

I stopped reading after the incredibly terrible mishandling of Satella's abusive brother.

I was close to dropping the series after how they solved Satella's incest brother. Sad, because I generally like Dal Young's work but nothing else seems to be subbed at the moment (at least not with the speed that Freezing's subbers maintain).

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is Freezing any good?

For some reason seeing the overtly booby cover of the 1st volume kind of kills my mood of reading it but it seems like this one is pretty popular so I figure I'll give it a shot if you guys think it as good.

Gazzawa

Is Freezing any good?

For some reason seeing the overtly booby cover of the 1st volume kind of kills my mood of reading it but it seems like this one is pretty popular so I figure I'll give it a shot if you guys think it as good.

tried to get into it. Run of the mill
3/10 wouldn't bang

neoanarch

I honestly think people mistake Freezing for Freesia. I mean why else would anyone subject themselves to the numbing blandness of Freezing.

Is Freezing any good?

Tried reading it, gave up about 10 chapters in. I'd only ever persevere with a fanservice heavy battle manga if it had an interesting setting or cast and it had neither.

gunbo13

I don't think Freezing has much more issues then a lot of action shounen. It's just that most action shounen don't take many risks. It's always about saving your friends, avenging your friends, uh...fighting with your friends... Shounen action is mostly damn boring. I don't see how you can read more then a handful and not want to vomit.

Freezing at least delves into some dark shit. The fan-service can overwhelm at times but you also have intense violence. Arms being ripped off like Jax is pretty violent. It's really not that bad a series for the reasons I wrote above and I think it gets misaligned hate. It's less generic IMO then most of the shounen action clones and that's why I'm sticking with it. The incest arc was putrid but the whole family is bottom tier so whatever. Chiffon is more interesting then most shounen MCs with their boring ass righteousness.

1. Viz sends me an email. 40% off manga today only! Excite.
2. Click link
3. It's only good for DBZ v1, Toriko v1, Rosario v1, Death Note v1, Bakuman v1
4. fail

scy

I don't think Freezing has much more issues then a lot of action shounen. It's just that most action shounen don't take many risks. It's always about saving your friends, avenging your friends, uh...fighting with your friends... Shounen action is mostly damn boring. I don't see how you can read more then a handful and not want to vomit.

Power of friendship is what I use as a palate cleanser to bring myself back to terrible standards.

gunbo13

Power of friendship is what I use as a palate cleanser to bring myself back to terrible standards.
That's why all MC's should be deranged like Felix in Legend of Maian. Smacking people who piss you off, picking fights, and telling everyone off. You should read it and be one of the few here not missing out.

Friendship is bullshit. Action shounen should be like Blood Lad for niche', Gan-Kon for gag, and HOTD for service/gore. The rest mostly just annoy the shit out of me. Cage of Eden is the WORST offender for friendship bullshit. They have like fucking friendship celebrations in mobs every damn chapter; ad nauseum.
Oh it's Rosario II volume 1, not Rosario I volume 1

But I already tried reading Rosario 1, and ugh
Rosario II has turned to shit. IKEDA can't write serious battle manga.

survivor

Banned
Iris Zero 29

The fuck is wrong with the MC? Being a dipshit and asshole for no reason? Hey dickhead, just help the cute girl and move on with your life. Why does this manga suck so much?

Freezing at least delves into some dark shit. The fan-service can overwhelm at times but you also have intense violence. Arms being ripped off like Jax is pretty violent. It's really not that bad a series for the reasons I wrote above and I think it gets misaligned hate. It's less generic IMO then most of the shounen action clones and that's why I'm sticking with it. The incest arc was putrid but the whole family is bottom tier so whatever. Chiffon is more interesting then most shounen MCs with their boring ass righteousness.

smh

scy

Iris Zero 29

The fuck is wrong with the MC? Being a dipshit and asshole for no reason? Hey dickhead, just help the cute girl and move on with your life. Why does this manga suck so much?

How can we have character development without this kind of arc?! The dramaz! The tensions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom