• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes!

I'm working on a mock-up album cover for a fake rapper persona I made up called Young Anime

the album is called Moe Money, Moe Problems

just thought ya'll should know

Why is it that it is so difficult for me to jump into anime? Hmmmmmm. I can read manga for hours but when it comes to anime.... I just get bored easily even if the anime is about the manga that I can read for hours! Hahaha.

I guess the one on the watching anime of the manga series you read isnt that uncommon. One Piece anime, Fairy Tail anime, Bleach, and Naruto Shippuden feel equal to or more worthwhile than their counterparts.

Just try some shortish animes, or anime movies? I follow more weekly anime than my weekly reading list.

Why is it that it is so difficult for me to jump into anime? Hmmmmmm. I can read manga for hours but when it comes to anime.... I just get bored easily even if the anime is about the manga that I can read for hours! Hahaha.

Comics are special, of the visual storytelling mediums comics tend to have the highest degree of direct input from the creator(s) (at times all the input, but I suspect that's moreso a rarity in Japanese comics). Their styles and ideas can often times be washed over by a more generic anime pastiche. Comics are just closer to a creator's unfiltered vision, and can be really endearing for it.

Also if you're an appreciator of the art of animation, some of these shows can be hard to abide by. Of course there are some studios that are better than others, but many series' animate extremely poorly. With so many lazy techniques employed, and so many basic principles ignored, that often times the motion-less counterparts feel several degrees more alive by comparison.

Then there are the glorious exceptions, seek them out, watch Red-Line and Mind Game.

gunbo13

my nakama
Shocking news, survivor against manhwa.
I'm the same though these days I'm struggling to do longer manga read sessions. I think it is because I'm not being pulled in by a lot of them or most of my reads are weeklies. So when you catch up on TWGOK and then have to move onto the latest chapter of Yankee/Megane, I'm like fuck... The last time I was able to marathon was Lucifer BH. I could use another gripping read like that.

As for anime, there is a little bit of the stuff mentioned like art degradation, change in intended narrative, excessive fan-service (HS DxD), etc... that are bothersome. But for me, there are just way too much anime to go through. In order to filter anime, I usually watch at least the first chunk of episodes. If I follow 5-7 shows (which I usually do per season), I waste a shit-load of hours for all the shows I drop. Filtering manga is much quicker. Though, I can't really answer why most anime are less gripping for me then it used to. Probably one part is that many of my manga reads are more entertaining then most of the shows. The other part is the weekly waits. Finally, many anime just feel flat. The last anime that had me hooked was Steins;Gate. That wasn't flat and reminded me of some of my past favorite anime.
Reading anything with Im Dal Young working on it is a waste of time.
Most of his works, yes. And I wouldn't recommend Freezing to everybody e.g. most people. It's just hype right now, plain and simple. Last time I felt this type of shounen hype was probably Ichigo/Aizen. I find it rare that shounen get your blood flowing like that, which is probably the source of my latest ranting.

He also does have a quite superior work out there...but I'm tired of listing it.

Retcon:
Just noticed my previous hype show was DtB2 all the way back in 2009. And that should was riddled with problems. Bakemonogatari, Spice and Wolf II, Code Gaess R2, and FMP:B were also 2009. Lost interest progressively for anime starting in 2010 then.

survivor

Banned

Hopefully I am not the only odd one about this thing.

And about Freezing.... it seems like I am just going to skip it. I just read some chapters but I don't like the art or the story enough for me to tolerate its fanservice-ness.

Oh, and by the way, who amongst you guys are enlisted among "Can't stand Fairy Tail" club? I can't be the only one!

A lot of anime have shit pacing and it's a bigger problem than manga cause it's hard to do selective skipping. In manga I can just easily eyeball useless panels and not read them making me not waste my time with useless garbage. It's how I read Medaka Box.

flawfuls

A lot of anime have shit pacing and it's a bigger problem than manga cause it's hard to do selective skipping. In manga I can just easily eyeball useless panels and not read them making me not waste my time with useless garbage. It's how I read Medaka Box.

It's the only way to read Medaka Box as far as I'm concerned.

Aku no Hana 23

Hey the protagonist has finally stopped being terrible.

Yeah, but he being terrible it's part of the interesting evolution of the character.

Reading anything with Im Dal Young working on it is a waste of time.

Sorry but Lunatic still has potential...

I wish I could do that, actually if I skip some panels because it's boring I force myself go back and read them.Case in point, Medaka Box, had to do that a few times.

Air Gear 174 - 185
tumblr_m3nnzuiJ8I1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Sirius Trading/Commercial Group arc was fun. Half the time reading Air Gear Im often left guessing if Kogarasumaru will win or lose, it always keeps me guessing unlike a few other series. Old man had some great faces and really, actually did want Sirius to win even if it was just hilarious.

I pretty much only start skipping panels or skimming pages when I've either been reading for way too long and should stop, anyways. Happened when I blitzed through Ai Kora.

Sometimes I'll skip panels cause something comes across as fairly pointless, I try to keep that to a minimum though, don't like feeling like I'm missing parts of the story. There are times where particularly large blocks of text can seem grating, too. Mostly due to improper use over anything else. You shouldn't have a large section of text that regards multiple emotions, events or actions visually conveyed with one image.

I guess that's not a hard fast rule, but in general it isn't good.

Zekes! said:
I'm working on a mock-up album cover for a fake rapper persona I made up called Young Anime

the album is called Moe Money, Moe Problems

just thought ya'll should know

That's hilarious!

Azure J

I'll never get the sentiment of skipping pages in something. If it's not gripping/entertaining me to the point that I consider doing as much, what's the point of even reading in the first place?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'll never get the sentiment of skipping pages in something. If it's not gripping me to the point that I consider doing as much, what's the point of even reading in the first place?
Pictures.

"That" jutsu.

Also:
imkLtY.png

survivor

Banned
this is why I skip panels in Medaka Box. It's just useless drivel.

I'll never get the sentiment of skipping pages in something. If it's not gripping/entertaining me to the point that I consider doing as much, what's the point of even reading in the first place?
It's generally just certain chapters or couple of panels per chapter. So it's not enough to make me quit reading. Beside sometimes I can tell I'm not missing much from reading info dumps or jokes that I don't find funny.

edit: Oh and in the case of most smut manga, I don't even read them at all. I just look at pictures

I'll never get the sentiment of skipping pages in something. If it's not gripping me to the point that I consider doing as much, what's the point of even reading in the first place?

If one wanted to read something with tons of text to world build or text that leads to nowhere wouldnt they read a classical novel? But yeah, I agree with what was said, read it for the pictures, charcters, and attacks or such.

Azure J

Pictures.

"That" jutsu.

Also:
http://i.minus.com/imkLtY.png

It's interesting you brought this up. When I first saw it I did a double take after getting the jist but wound up reading it all anyways.

Nisio's word vomit has to be an exception. At the same time though, I'm still waiting to see someone transcribe his text art (the only description that fits) of Ajimu's skills used in that preliminary suitor fight chapter. :lol

gunbo13

Same here, I don't skip.

In fact, I have the opposite issue where I can't get away from 5 types of panels.
a) Good art - ohhhh enemies in Biscuit Hammer *stare*
b) Bad art - Why is her arm 1/10 the size of the other?
c) Bad continuity - Did she just back-flip behind the guy to dodge and then kick him in the face?
d) Bad translation - This shit doesn't make sense. Time to use context clues based on previous/future panels as well as the drawings to make some sense. Sometimes, it is a lost cause.
e) Confusing dialogue - Looks like the correct translation but WTF are they talking about? Reads again. Nope, still nothing. Read again really trying to piece it together. Nope, this shit is dumb.

The way I read manga is annoying and slow. Can't help it though.
edit: Oh and in the case of most smut manga, I don't even read them at all. I just look at pictures
You are missing some strong narratives and powerful emotional connections with the characters.

Cwarrior

Aku no Hana 23

this manga still around? I stopped reading round about the retcon flash back chapter.

What I really liked about it was seeing the protag suffer every week.mmm delicious, the only reason I read it, if his not suffering then there's no reason for me to read.

scy

I read the whole damn thing. To be fair, considering the reaction afterwards, I wonder if skipping the text was the intended goal.

...also, I think I missed when this image went around originally. Who's being quoted in that anyway?

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
FMA got boring in the end.

ZZZ no one dies, GOOOOOO EDWARDO KUN!!!!

Usual shounen bullshit.

Excitement = Death!

No, that doesn't explain why Deathnote was so terribly boring.

Ugh...I hope this doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the scene when I watch it in English in a few months.

I'm black and I always thought it was just a fun, goofy scene. :/
Well, bear in mind that it's usually not a black people are haxx kinda sentiment in these comics. It really has to do with how Japanese people are tiny and made of paper compared to the rest of the world's population. (At least in the view of a typical mangaka.) They whine about all foreign muscle and whine that the Japanese can't hope to compete save for some kind of miracle.

Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru has the evil K1 promoter gloating over the power of Bertrand's white muscle right now for example.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
A sense of tension and fear is exciting to me.

And man, way to bring that post from the dead.

No death leads to no tension and fear in a story since you know everyone will survive. See: most shonens.

Constant deaths also lead to no tension and fear in a story since you known everyone will die.

To create a sense of tension and fear you need only a few meaningful deaths so that the reader won't know what to expect. Fullmetal Alchemist accomplished this. Sure, Ed and Al were pretty much assured to live but everyone else? Do to the sporadic deaths during the series any battle or drama could result in a secondary character's death or some other horrific event. It left the series with tension during the battles.

Ex: Bradley appears on the scene? Someone is fucked.

Minamoto 31

He should've played with her drills instead.

Aku no Hana 23

Has he written a really badass composition?

On a related note, anyone checked out the author's new work, Boku wa Mari no Naka?

5987884r6j4j.jpg

Haven't actually started reading it yet, but it looks like it's gonna be a pretty standard body swap series.

I once tried to skip a panel in Bleach... ended up missing 2 arcs.

Nah, seriously, skipping panels is for pussies. Text can't take me down!

Noblesse

The 12th elder was fodder. I fucking hate this kind of crap in Noblesse. Roctis and the other traitors have founded the Union to hide, protect themselves, and to prepare for the war against the nobles.

Freezing 82-83-84-85

Haha. I love the fact that Chiffon did not go all out. If that happened and she still got stabbed by Stella, i would have broke my lap top. Humans turning to Nova might explain the origin of the Nova. That they were human at one point than turned to Nova because one circumstance or another.

Loving dr. Aoi. But he should have done something sooner, his creepy smile makes me think that he knew that Ohara will fuck up. He just waited for her to do so.

Freezing is communications, now? What? I guess they have to explain more about it.

Solune

Same here, I don't skip.

The way I read manga is annoying and slow. Can't help it though.
Skipping panels... Seems bizarre to me. Also I read manga very slow now as opposed to when I was reading before I'd just blow through panels and then have to look back because I forgot what happened. Sometimes I think I have a condition because I read panels multiple times depending on what I'm reading.
Has he written a really badass composition?

On a related note, anyone checked out the author's new work, Boku wa Mari no Naka?

http://www.abload.de/img/5987884r6j4j.jpg

Haven't actually started reading it yet, but it looks like it's gonna be a pretty standard body swap series.
Hmm I like the character design MUCH better than Minamoto based on this page, I'm interested.
Pictures.

"That" jutsu.

Also:
http://i.minus.com/imkLtY.png

Don't forget this and

upandaway

During marathons I read like this:
Panel 1
Skip panel 2 (as in, read enough to decide I'm skipping)
Panel 3
Some related panel from 2 pages ago
Last panel of the page
Panel 3 again
Peek at next page
Panel 2
Some related panel from 5 chapters ago
Panel 4 to the end of the page (usually panel 1 too in these moments)
The last panel of the previous page
Finally done. Next page, rinse repeat.

I just can't read normally. In the end I still read everything and in my head it's as if I read it in order. I dunno man. If I'm reading a single chapter I'm pretty normal.

Also I'll never skip something and not go back to it. It's like every time I skip something I put a flag in my head to remind me I skipped something, and it annoys the shit out of me. If I can't remember what I skipped I'd reread everything.

I skip panels when I feel like nothing important is being said

Occasionally this. Also skip panels that feel like they are just exposition when things are about, or are, getting serious. Its that feeling of just seeing the rewarding moment. Reminds me of the feeling of when people are near a final boss in a game and just skip fighting any enemy at all, skip scenes, and etc, just to get to that climactic moment.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Occasionally this. Also skip panels that feel like they are just exposition when things are about, or are, getting serious. Its that feeling of just seeing the rewarding moment. Reminds me of the feeling of when people are near a final boss in a game and just skip fighting any enemy at all, skip scenes, and etc, just to get to that climactic moment.

I'm no doctor, but this sounds a like like ADHD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom