• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
smh @ people that dont read and skip panels. And I think I am the laziest person here.

Minamoto 31

Dude you should have said that you wanted to do it.

used to skip a bunch of pages in One Piece when I used to read it during the Marineford arc, just a bunch of shit everywhere, too much clutter and I couldn't understand a single double spread.

Zekes!

On a related note, anyone checked out the author's new work, Boku wa Mari no Naka?

http://www.abload.de/img/5987884r6j4j.jpg

Haven't actually started reading it yet, but it looks like it's gonna be a pretty standard body swap series.

Too early for me to form any kind of opinion honestly. There's like 2 chapters and not enough has happened, besides the body swap. This could be a sign that this series is going to be boring and/or have shitty pacing, but I'm willing to check out a few more chapters.

Standard body swap series is probably a good description right now.

On panel skipping again: I said I only skip panels when I feel like nothing important is being said, but also that only happens if I'm marathoning a series. If I'm reading a single individual chapter I'll read it carefully regardless.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Lol @ people admitting to not reading. What is this, dyslexic kid class reunion?
No, we just can't be bothered with all the shit we feel is useless and a waste of time. If I want to read a book, I'll read a book.

It's one of the reasons I dropped Bakuman.

Actually, fuck it, I also skip some panels when I just feel like it. I mean, the last few Naruto chapters I actually read about a total of 4 pages. Still all F's.

Big One

Banned
No, we just can't be bothered with all the shit we feel is useless and a waste of time. If I want to read a book, I'll read a book.

It's one of the reasons I dropped Bakuman.
Manga is a form of literature, you're supposed to read it like a book, but with pictures. Fuck, that's the entire comic medium right there. If you can't appreciate that, stop reading manga, period. If this is how everyone thinks when they read manga, I guess I must be some type of peak human or something.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Manga is a form of literature, you're supposed to read it like a book, but with pictures. Fuck, that's the entire comic medium right there. If you can't appreciate that, stop reading manga, period. If this is how everyone thinks when they read manga, I guess I must be some type of peak human or something.
No shut the fuck up.

I'll continue reading my manga the way I want to: On an HDTV, skipping unimportant shit, and taking it half seriously. And no, I don't read individual chapters of shit like it's a book. Maybe if I had the complete series, then...maybe.

gunbo13

Freezing 82-83-84-85

Freezing is communications, now? What? I guess they have to explain more about it.
Whatever is explained, will be stupid.

I'm with Big One on the panel argument (though, much less harsh). But that's all I'll say. I used up my random bitching quota for the week with my shounen rant. Wait, who started this one? Oh, survivor this time? I'm clean.

Big One

Banned
No shut the fuck up.

I'll continue reading my manga the way I want to: On an HDTV, skipping unimportant shit, and taking it half seriously. And no, I don't read individual chapters of shit like it's a book. Maybe if I had the complete series, then...maybe.
Then you're doing wrong. You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself. Reading manga is about having a book in your hand, reading it from panel to panel in proper sequence (possibly multiple times), reading all of the dialogue no matter how shitty it is, etc. You don't sit back on your pimp ass couch looking at your pimp ass HDTV watching pimp ass characters doing pimp ass shit. No, you read a fucking book. A book with words and pictures in sequence to tell a story. You will never ever understand why Naruto and Bleach fucking suck unless you actually read manga.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Then you're doing wrong. You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself. Reading manga is about having a book in your hand, reading it from panel to panel in proper sequence (possibly multiple times), reading all of the dialogue no matter how shitty it is, etc. You don't sit back on your pimp ass couch looking at your pimp ass HDTV watching pimp ass characters doing pimp ass shit. No, you read a fucking book. A book with words and pictures in sequence to tell a story. You will never ever understand why Naruto and Bleach fucking suck unless you actually read manga.
I am not ashamed of doing shit the way a real boss would do it.

Fuck holding a book in my hand. When I was catching up on a couple of manga and didn't do it on my HDTV, I still did that shit on my iPad. Do you know why? Of course you fucking don't. Like I said, I don't consider reading manga like reading a book.

I already know why Naruto sucks (anyone could explain this). I already know why Bleach sucks. And I know why One Piece sucks too.

upandaway

Then you're doing wrong. You should be absolutely ashamed of yourself. Reading manga is about having a book in your hand, reading it from panel to panel in proper sequence (possibly multiple times), reading all of the dialogue no matter how shitty it is, etc. You don't sit back on your pimp ass couch looking at your pimp ass HDTV watching pimp ass characters doing pimp ass shit. No, you read a fucking book. A book with words and pictures in sequence to tell a story.
Man, you sound like my high school literature teacher.

Manga/comics are not books but a visual representation of story telling/character focused stories. Words should help one understand what´s going on in panels and not be the main representation of a manga. After all a picture is worth a 1000 words. Pictures can relay emotions better than words ever could.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Manga/comics are not books but a visual representation of story telling/character focused stories. Words should help one understand what´s going on in panels and not be the main representation of a manga. After all a picture is worth a 1000 words. Pictures can relay emotions better than words ever could.
Well said.

Expect an incoming Bleach hating post though breh.

Big One

Banned
Nope, just wrong on every level. If you knew anything about the medium in question you'd know that words are just as important as the visual. It is true that comics have their origins in early sequential art (aka barely any words, sometimes captions explaining what's going on in the picture) but it's still a form of literature, just like a movie script is. The final product is a whole nother story, but you're still reading what is, at the core, a book, that's meant to be read in either a serialized magazine or in a compiled volume.

It's obvious that the art and writing in comics work in tandem. They're equally important to most great comics. If people are skipping panels or pages because they're bored with the story or a sequence offered within that story then that's a flaw of the comic. It should be maintaining your interest. It's not inherent to the way comics are digested to skip pages, it's a result of boredom.

I don't think anybody is saying that they're skipping panels/pages in comics that are great and maintaining their interest, are they? Even if that is the case, I don't think people should feel ashamed. Read the comics however you enjoy reading them. It just might lead to a lesser understanding of the creator's work.

Good comics tell as much with their images as they do with their words, and vice versa.

Well said.

Expect an incoming Bleach hating post though breh.

No just shut the fuck up. You're factually wrong about this and you should be ashamed of yourself. If you skip even a single panel, or even the hugely important summaries in the margin, you and your whole family deserve to die a horrible death because it's people like you who bring the sacred art of manga down.

Just making sure the half-assed parody isn't lost on a mod

I have read books that relay emotion better than comics , movie , etc etc .
I would go as far as to said words are the best way to relay emotions .

As for manga\comics both of them are need , depending on the genre words are need much more since pictures are useless without them .

survivor

Banned
I skip every other post in this thread

It's obvious that the art and writing in comics work in tandem. They're equally important to most great comics. If people are skipping panels or pages because they're bored with the story or a sequence offered within that story then that's a flaw of the comic. It should be maintaining your interest. It's not inherent to the way comics are digested to skip pages, it's a result of boredom.

I don't think anybody is saying that they're skipping panels/pages in comics that are great and maintaining their interest, are they? Even if that is the case, I don't think people should feel ashamed. Read the comics however you enjoy reading them. It just might lead to a lesser understanding of the creator's work.

Good comics tell as much with their images as they do with their words, and vice versa.
Pretty much. I don't skip anything in any of my favourite manga. Read every word and admire the art a lot. But for smut, romance, bad arcs of shounenshit? Absolutely. Or in the case of Medaka Box (I love shitting on it), I skip panels whenever I feel Nisio is masturbating to his text

upandaway

Okay, so say you're at this place. And this place gives you food.

The food's pretty great on its own, but you also only eat half of it, or season it, or whatever the fuck. You can even bring your own food and add to the plate or something. It's all about saying if this is a good attitude to have, or that if you're at a dude's place, eat it like the dude made it, or don't go there to begin with, and fuck your opinion.

I don't know where I'm going with this, but I already wrote it so whatever.

I have read books that relay emotion better than comics , movie , etc etc .
I would go as far as to said words are the best way to relay emotions .

Without question or qualification? Can't either have the potential to be better than the other depending on the execution? Not that I'm trying to say that can't be your opinion. It just seems like a tough thing to decide across the board.

As for manga\comics both of them are need[ed] depending on the genre words are need[ed] much more since pictures are useless without them

I tend to agree, but there's no hard fast rule. Chris Ware manages to say a lot about his characters, while often going long stretches or entire sequences without words.

upandaway said:
Okay, so say you're at this place. And this place gives you food.

The food's pretty great on its own, but you also only eat half of it, or season it, or whatever the fuck. You can even bring your own food and add to the plate or something. It's all about saying if this is a good attitude to have, or that if you're at a dude's place, eat it like the dude made it, or don't go there to begin with, and fuck your opinion.

I don't know where I'm going with this, but I already wrote it so whatever.

XD

Lain

After School Charisma vol 1
2b338f645c5cfec6b42d968524d9f0190c245efb.png

Not a bad start here. I like this setting where every guy/girl is the clone of a famous history character except Shiro (though I do wonder if he's not just a clone himself, just not a clone of a famous person).
As soon as that Marie Curie thing went down, I felt she wasn't really let out of the school and, even though there isn't a confirmation about that, there is a confirmation that Shiro's dad doesn't seem to really give a fuck about him and is just using him as a spy, which Shiro is doing unknowingly.
The clone of Hitler is a bit... weird. I'm not convinced he's really that good.

After school charisma was pretty interesting. Made a few chapters in when viz was offering it for free on their site, put it on the backlog list to buy which its still sitting on. They made it higher priced than their other manga for some reason...

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I laughed at this.

Without question or qualification? Can't either have the potential to be better than the other depending on the execution? Not that I'm trying to say that can't be your opinion. It just seems like a tough thing to decide across the board.

I tend to agree, but there's no hard fast rule.

Well it depends on execution but if things are equal i find i am more invest into things if i use my imagination.
Now i don't expect this to be the same way for everyone but reading the words and creating the images , voices , etc etc are better IMO .

Of course i would never say there is a hard rule to all of this but i think is wrong to say that words can not relay emotions as good as movies , pictures etc etc .

gunbo13

I think the error here is that people are saying there is a "wrong" way to read manga. There isn't. Lick the cover and say it's now a part of you, I don't care. But I would give somebody less of a notice if they have read a chapter and skipped material. So from a discussion stand-point, if we are talking about a manga that requires focus, I would be put-off responding to that person.

Luckily, most of my manga is stupid as shit and I don't have to worry about people paying attention. If anybody tried to analyze something like aunt tits, I would just laugh. This proves that smutgaf is superior since we can't be divided.

Detective Conan 815:
Thank you, based Gosho!

Wow. I mean, I knew something was going to come of the new antidotes, but I wasn't expecting it this chapter. Haibara turning back into Shiho is a pretty crazy twist. I hope she stays in this form for at least a few chapters, and that Sera sees her like this. That seems to be where the plot is going right now.

Kreed

In regards to this skipping debate, are you guys talking about speed reading and/or skimming pages or are you actually skipping pages? I can understand why some people would do the former (especially with some of the Medaka Box examples) because you can still get a general understanding of what's going on from skimming words, but I don't understand why you would skip panels or pages in a manga you're invested in reading.

In regards to this skipping debate, are you guys talking about speed reading and/or skimming pages or are you actually skipping pages? I can understand why some people would do the former (especially with some of the Medaka Box examples) because you can still get a general understanding of what's going on from skimming words, but I don't understand why you would skip panels or pages in a manga you're invested in reading.
because they're fucking boring.

survivor

Banned
I see no contradictions

I think the error here is that people are saying there is a "wrong" way to read manga. There isn't. Lick the cover and say it's now a part of you, I don't care. But I would give somebody less of a notice if they have read a chapter and skipped material. So from a discussion stand-point, if we are talking about a manga that requires focus, I would be put-off responding to that person.

Luckily, most of my manga is stupid as shit and I don't have to worry about people paying attention. If anybody tried to analyze something like aunt tits, I would just laugh. This proves that smutgaf is superior since we can't be divided.
smutgaf is best subset of mangaf

By skipping I mean skimming. Just quick glance at the art or just speed read whatever wall of text there is and I'm set.

gunbo13

Freezing (ch85)

Oh boy, I gots to review this manga now. Such gloriousness oozing from the pages.

Unfortunately, in reality this chapter was a piece of garbage. Oh I predicted this, no? Somebody tell Stella that her tit is hanging out. Lana has no arms but she appeared nude in some dream jump. First time I saw that combination. Kazuya is going to be a Pandora psychiatrist cause he can't fight for shit. Dream world was the most short idiotic shit drama I have ever seen. And they fucking killed off two of the novas off screen? Chiffon needs help from Lana with no arms?

Fantastic chapter
smutgaf is best subset of mangaf
Always the underlying truth.

Lain

I used to never skip text or skim pages. I used to go over a page even 4 times to make sure I had gotten everything there was to see and read. But lately I can't be bothered as much. To not skip even a word I have to force myself and I started to wonder why. My conclusion has been that many authors are lousy writers that aren't able to be concise and to the point, bloating their works with fluff, forcing me to skip over the chatter that the manga could do without.

Kreed

because they're fucking boring.

Then why not drop the series and picking up another manga that isn't "fucking boring"? If you find yourself SKIPPING entire damn pages of a manga/comic then it's probably not a series you should be wasting time reading IMO.

Then why not drop the series and picking up another manga that isn't "fucking boring"? If you find yourself SKIPPING entire damn pages of a manga/comic then it's probably not a series you should be wasting time reading IMO.
I'm not saying I'm skipping half a chapter or something.I skip the pages because I find that page's contents to be fucking boring. Those few boring page's aren't going to make me want to drop the manga. For example, I read Naruto because I find it to be quite interesting but sometimes some of the chapters are pretty boring(like the beginning of the war chapters like team 10 vs asuma or hanzo vs samurai leader) so I skip a few pages in them or quickly skim through them.Those few boring pages/chapters don't really dampen my opinion on the manga as a whole.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

You know... you should be asking this question to hordes of people who kept continuing on reading Naruto week after week even if according to them its a piece of shit, trash, or whatever derogatory terms they can conjure up on daily basis.

Oh bloody hell I hope I am not opening up a can of worms here, hahaha.

As for skipping pages, I've never done it myself, even when I consider the chapter that I am reading is not up to the task of grabbing my attention. Just my habit, I guess.

Clear black muscles reference.

I thought it was because of this (taken from Something Awful):

I think part of that may have to do with translation and cultural perspective issues. Some of it is because those translating it apparently didn't "get" it. Which is why we initially had the mistranslation where people thought it was Oda talking about "black people being super strong and their afros give them power" which is just stupid.

Oda says "Does the Champ wear the Afro, or does the Afro make the Champ? The mythical power within Afros is a mystery to science even today." Oda is referring to a very specific few Japanese boxers here.

dHaWm.png

The line is without a doubt a reference and tribute to Yoko Gushiken (left), a Ryukyuan champion boxer who had great fame in Japan, and who wore an afro. He's still popular in Japan, and quite a number of boxers emulate his style as a tribute (right).

He is a major cultural icon, and the imagery associated with him being "a champ" is the core of the reference.

P6XO6.jpg

Kreed

You know... you should be asking this question to hordes of people who kept continuing on reading Naruto week after week even if according to them its a piece of shit, trash, or whatever derogatory terms they can conjure up on daily basis.

Oh bloody hell I hope I am not opening up a can of worms here, hahaha.

As for skipping pages, I've never done it myself, even when I consider the chapter that I am reading is not up to the task of grabbing my attention. Just my habit, I guess.

That "question" and someone directing it in my direction was exactly why I dropped Naruto after getting pissed off at the Pain saga ending. The negative comments I've seen since that time have just help me verify I made a good decision, so I actually don't mind reading them every week.

scy

Detective Conan 815:
Thank you, based Gosho!

Wow. I mean, I knew something was going to come of the new antidotes, but I wasn't expecting it this chapter. Haibara turning back into Shiho is a pretty crazy twist. I hope she stays in this form for at least a few chapters, and that Sera sees her like this. That seems to be where the plot is going right now.

Oh man, I need to catch up with Detective Conan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom