• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

flawfuls

Hanashippanashi End

That was soooo good. I didn't really like this manga when I started reading it way back when it was first getting translated, but it eventually won me over big time. I didn't really get better or anything, it just clicked after a while. It's a very unique manga, the closest thing to it is probably Mushishi as it does the whole nature/fantasy thing in a very similar way, but the short stories in this manga aren't really stories. It's very hard to describe but basically it's artsy fartsy nonsensical hipster bullshit.

Of course the real reason to read this is because it's made by Daisuke Igarashi, the best manga artist in the history of the universe. I am now going spam images because as we established earlier in the thread this is the best form of communication.

b6rqA.jpg

And this is Daisuke Igarashi's ugliest manga.

PK Gaming

One Piece

So Bon Clay is alive...? That's really... great. And by great, I mean terrible. I hate how this takes away from one of the best scenes in OP ever (Mr. 2's emotional sacrifice). Predictably i'll have people/survivor try to refute this, but you can't. Magellan had him dead, there's just no way he can get out of that situation alive. Grievances aside, there's one silver lining in this whole debacle; Mr. 2 will appear in future arcs so I'm eager to see more from him and his mane-mane powers. (He's also one of the characters that i've been pining to join the Straw hats.)

The chapter itself was pretty good, but I there wasn't much in terms of plot progression. Zoro / Sanji / Brook are still m.i.a as far as the rest of the SH are concerned (I really wanted to see Zoro and Sanji fight against the yeti cool brothers.) The interactions between Law and Caesar were nice (Law is STILL hiding something haha...). Oda set it up so that the next chapter is action packed, looking forward to it.

Ninjimbo

One Piece

Did Brownbeard just get offed?

Naruto

Kabuto's abilities are disgusting and stupid looking. That Orochimaru thing that came out of his chest was so goddamn retarded.

One Piece

So Bon Clay is alive...? That's really... great. And by great, I mean terrible. I hate how this takes away from one of the best scenes in OP ever (Mr. 2's emotional sacrifice). Predictably i'll have people/survivor try to refute this, but you can't. Magellan had him dead, there's just no way he can get out of that situation alive. Grievances aside, there's one silver lining in this whole debacle; Mr. 2 will appear in future arcs so I'm eager to see more from him and his mane-mane powers. (He's also one of the characters that i've been pining to join the Straw hats.)

The chapter itself was pretty good, but I there wasn't much in terms of plot progression. Zoro / Sanji / Brook are still m.i.a as far as the rest of the SH are concerned (I really wanted to see Zoro and Sanji fight against the yeti cool brothers.) The interactions between Law and Caesar were nice (Law is STILL hiding something haha...). Oda set it up so that the next chapter is action packed, looking forward to it.

Bon will never join the SH , he has the same voice actor as Franky .
If i remember right Oda liked Bon voice actor which is one of the reason Franky is how he is.

Also magellan having him dead don't mean much since all he did the whole arc was hit people with poison and go along his way and we know he got his ass kick afterwards.

PK Gaming

Bon will never join the SH , he has the same voice actor as Franky .
If i remember right Oda liked Bon voice actor which is one of the reason Franky is how he is.

Also magellan having him dead don't mean much since all he did the whole arc was hit people with poison and go along his way and we know he got his ass kick afterwards.

I'm not sure how your first sentence is relevant in ANY way but i'll take your word on it.

Your second post doesn't make any sense. Magellan's hydra poison's are lethal and "uncurable" when he mixes them with his other poisons (A doctor at the jail said that you'd sooner die from taking an antidote for one poison that reacts violently to another)

Magellan (when he was in "murder mode") killed a ton of prisoners with his hydra poison (unfortunate casualties), and massacred Luffy for getting in his way. It's because of him that Luffy shaved off at least 10 years of his life (for nothing too) and had Mr. 2 dead for sure if it wasn't for... something. Oda will explain "that something" but... I just don't like how things went down.

You really think that doesn't mean much?

lol no this is One Piece dude.

He's right -_-

Guesong

Naruto

Yeah...uhm...considering the hack that was Izanagi, pretty sure Itachi is not dead if Izanami is even better. Nice try.

Bleach

Am I supposed to be excited by the appearance of some random Owl-monster that we've never seen before?

Could've been Grimm Jow or something.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
It's not a surprise, really, that he would just destroy the emotional sacrifice of a character by just having him being alive. I would've been mad but I thought about it and Oda will retcon explain himself out of it. And when he does, you will love it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Bleach

Am I supposed to be excited by the appearance of some random Owl-monster that we've never seen before?

Could've been Grimm Jow or something.

It's not the first time we see it.

Although if i remember right, Yamamoto beated it very easily last time.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
We've seen it before. It fucked up a few vice-captains. It simply got destroyed because it went against Yamamoto. Most things that go against Yamamoto would have that fate.

Naruto

Yo dawg i put genjutsu in your genjutsu so we can cancel genjetsu.

one piece

Bon Clay arrival means that Buggy is not far behind.

Bleach

Ayonnnnnnnnnnnnnn. He going to fuck shit up. I am glad that opie mentioned that them and Soken are different. That´s a confirmation that Opie will not lose his powers after using this form. Opie is sucking reshi from everywhere.
Bleach

He showed up before alright.

PK Gaming

Naruto

I actually really ended up liking this chapter. 99% of what Itachi is complete and utter shit, but there was an exception in this chapter, and my god it was a damn good one. His speech to Kabuto was pretty good; I didn't find it to be hamfisted or PnJ. "Imitation is nice, but copying someone else will get you nowhere." It's even true for real life too, which is part of what makes his speech so damn good. Kabuto's latest technique is nasty as fuck, but I'm glad he brought back the sound 4. Good to see Kimi, Sakon, Tayuyu and Udon + the 40 year old Jirobo again. Haha, in reality Kishi is shitting on their memory (more so than usual, which is saying something considering the underlying nature of Edo tensei!) and totally ok. Orochimaru got owned in the funniest way possible; Oro fans are having a tough time defending... that.

I just know Itachi will ruin this fight with his stupid eye technique, but if you look at the fight as a whole (no flashback / just action) it wasn't that bad.

Bleach

A fight? A FIGHT! A FUCKING FIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I FEEL LIKE THAT GUY WHO WAS WALKING BY THE KRUSTY KRAB AND SAW SPONGEBOB AGAIN (when he left). Man, it's been ages since Kubo gave us an actually fight instead of 2 panel action scenes. I love how he didn't instantly make Ichigo use Bankai either (his base form is really strong now). Pity he still can't use anything other than GT, but I liked it nonetheless. There's something about this villain that I really like. Arrogant, stupidly designed, slick bastard seems like a commonplace in Bleach, but this guy actually lasted an entire chapter against Ichigo in a fight (which was more than I would could say about Ginjou LOL)

Here's hoping their fight continues into the next chapter.

flawfuls

It's not a surprise, really, that he would just destroy the emotional sacrifice of a character by just having him being alive. I would've been mad but I thought about it and Oda will retcon explain himself out of it. And when he does, you will love it.

It's a pretty simple explanation. They captured him instead of killed him.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
It's a pretty simple explanation. They captured him instead of killed him.
But the motives behind that explanation are pretty dumb. I mean, Magellan was on a killing rampage at that point. He was already willing to kill anyone, and when Bon Clay revealed how he tricked him and made a fool of him (and more importantly, Impel Down), he was at the height of his rage. Why wouldn't he kill him?

Also, since he's the now apparent queen of Newkama Land in 5.5...capturing him was a bad choice. It's not like Magellan and company didn't see Iva-Chan come from seemingly nowhere after thinking he was "dead". After a fuck up of those proportions, it really doesn't make sense that someone like Magellan wouldn't murder Bon Clay as soon as he saw him.

I just finished the Impel Down arc in the anime with my sister, so this is really really fresh in my head.

I'm not sure how your first sentence is relevant in ANY way but i'll take your word on it.

Your second post doesn't make any sense. Magellan's hydra poison's are lethal and "uncurable" when he mixes them with his other poisons (A doctor at the jail said that you'd sooner die from taking an antidote for one poison that reacts violently to another)

Magellan (when he was in "murder mode") killed a ton of prisoners with his hydra poison (unfortunate casualties), and massacred Luffy for getting in his way. It's because of him that Luffy shaved off at least 10 years of his life (for nothing too) and had Mr. 2 dead for sure if it wasn't for... something. Oda will explain "that something" but... I just don't like how things went down.

You really think that doesn't mean much?

My point is there is a antidote for the one type of poison and since the fight was off panel we don't know what happen .
For all we know Bon got hit with one type of poison and then he got the antidote later or before he could kill Bon he got his ass kick by level 6 guys .
The only person in that whole arc that hit with many types of poison is luffy because he refuse to back down .
Magellan was cocky he hit you with poison and then thought you were done for which is what he did to BB and it came back and bit him in the ass.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Basically: Magellan is an idiot...or rather, Oda made him an idiot for the sake of plot.

"300 million rookie that basically ruined the world government headquarters, has fucked up Shichibukai left and right, and has broken records with his Impel Down break-in?"

*Fucks him up with poison*

"Hmmm. Leave him there. Herp derp." *Herp Derp* *Walks away*

One piece

Shit i thought Bon Clay was the candle guy (i read it on the iphone, and did not pay attention to the first page, and i read Gaf to see if the chapters are out) Bon Clay being alive is dumb as shit. It totally ruins the moments that we thought that Bon Clay died and his final words to Luffy. Dumb as shit, but whatever.

Basically: Magellan is an idiot...or rather, Oda made him an idiot for the sake of plot.

"300 million rookie that basically ruined the world government headquarters, has fucked up Shichibukai left and right, and has broken records with his Impel Down break-in?"

As i said he was cocky as hell if felt if he hit you with poison you we done for .
Also Magellan won't have know that luffy beat 2 warlords .

Like all the other souls that got fucked up by his poison and die horrible deaths? I could see why he would do that given what usually happens plus he did more than usual in their encounter.

Sucks for him that Luffy has plot armor due to being the main character.

Like all the other souls that got fucked up by his poison and dies? I could see why he would do that given that usually happens plus he did more than usual in there encounter.

Suck for him that Luffy has plot armor due to being the main character.

He also did it for BB but he has plot armor also .
Hell in most of his fight he hit people with only one type of poison Inazuma is another eg of this .

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
As i said he was cocky as hell if felt if he hit you with poison you we done for .
Also Magellan won't have knowed that luffy beat 2 warlords .
Yeah, in other words, he's an idiot.

At that point in the break-in...A rational warden should understand that nothing is guaranteed or impossible. With a breakout of those proportions happening, it just doesn't make any sense that he at least wouldn't take Luffy with him. How much effort would it have taken to pick him up? He couldn't have put up any resistance. Instead, he leaves him there because the impossible just can't happen at this point. Just like Impel Down is impenetrable. Right.

Like all the other souls that got fucked up by his poison and die horrible deaths? I could see why he would do that given what usually happens plus he did more than usual in their encounter.
And that's even MORE reason why he shouldn't have just Luffy there. Luffy proved himself to be more than capable, to the point that Magellan had to actually put in effort. Luffy from there separated himself from all of those other people. Luffy was the leader of the break-in itself, for him to just toss him off as nothing was ridiculous at the least.

Naruto
tumblr_m3r9cuPN5v1qcrnx8o1_500.jpg

What is Kishimoto doing?! How in the world is he gonna cause Itachi to be cut in half, I know he's dead, but now he's dead dead! Sasuke and Itachi were actually working in perfect unison and now with one half of Uchiha gone, the intensity has come back down to Earth. I wish this could be fast tracked to being animated.

flawfuls

But the motives behind that explanation are pretty dumb. I mean, Magellan was on a killing rampage at that point. He was already willing to kill anyone, and when Bon Clay revealed how he tricked him and made a fool of him (and more importantly, Impel Down), he was at the height of his rage. Why wouldn't he kill him?

It's somewhat unrealistically convenient, but not a huge leap in logic. By the time they were down to just Bon Clay the prison Magellan had the situation under control so he didn't have to just keep killing everyone. I mean he is a prison guard so he probably isn't going around killing people when it isn't necessary.

Honestly this is exactly how I expected it to go when I was reading it. If they were going to kill him they would have shown it explicitly for maximum drama.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Honestly this is exactly how I expected it to go when I was reading it. If they were going to kill him they would have shown it explicitly for maximum drama.
I figured that Oda wouldn't show it to represent how Bon Clay is the silent hero. Him having a drawn out dramatic death on screen wouldn't fit with how Oda wrote up Bon Clay's character in relation to Luffy. Him having an off screen death that no one but Magellan could actually see (and only few knew about) made a lot of sense at the time.

But alas. Like I said, I'm happy he's back...since I like him. I won't toil over the mechanics of it, because it doesn't surprise me that Oda would pull that.

At that point in the break-in...A rational warden should understand that nothing is guaranteed or impossible. With a breakout of those proportions happening, it just doesn't make any sense that he at least wouldn't take Luffy with him. How much effort would it have taken to pick him up? He couldn't have put up any resistance. Instead, he leaves him there because the impossible just can't happen at this point. Just like Impel Down is impenetrable. Right.

And that's even MORE reason why he shouldn't have just Luffy there. Luffy proved himself to be more than capable, to the point that Magellan had to actually put in effort. Luffy from there separated himself from all of those other people. Luffy was the leader of the break-in itself, for him to just toss him off as nothing was ridiculous at the least.

Luffy got hit with many types of poison and there was no cure for it at all .
How should Magellan know that they got Iva there that can cure that .
If anything him leaving BB after he was poison was much more stupid
Then again i never said he was smart .

I figured that Oda wouldn't show it to represent how Bon Clay is the silent hero. Him having a drawn out dramatic death on screen wouldn't fit with how Oda wrote up Bon Clay's character in relation to Luffy. Him having an off screen death that no one but Magellan could actually see (and only few knew about) made a lot of sense at the time.

But alas. Like I said, I'm happy he's back...since I like him. I won't toil over the mechanics of it, because it doesn't surprise me that Oda would pull that.

After reading OP for so many years with what happen before Pell , Conis dad etc etc the first thing that came to your mind was a off screen death .
You show know better Stat this is OP we talking about lol.

Because in his point of view he eliminated the threat with moves he's confident that would end him (also he had the life saver as well) and that's all that matters.

Or to him more effort means you just die faster. He was supremely confident in his abilities (and to be fair Luffy was knocking on heavens door at that point, hence proving Magellan right) but it cost him due to the help Luffy got.

PK Gaming

This to a T. It's kind of the post I wanted to make, but never could. Eerie.

More copy-copy fruit shenanigans please!

If anything the two non fodder\non flashback deaths we got in OP so far tell me if Oda going to kill someone ever again he will make sure we all know about it .

Bleach
Good chapter still waiting for Icihgo to go Bankai .
I expect that owl thing should get beat next week .

Wiseblade

One Piece defense force... Activate!

1) Magellan sees people with bigger bounties and greater reputations than Luffy's was on a daily basis. Why would Magellan give Luffy the time of day when he offs Level 6 prisoners like nothing?

2) What had Luffy really done at that point? breaking in was impressive, but all he'd achieved since was letting a few nobodies out of their cells. Not really enough to warrant watching him die personally.

3) It's not like he did nothing either. Luffy got thrown into a Level 5 cell. With Buggy and 3 captured, 2 on the run and the riot on levels 1+2 quelled, who was going to save him? especially with Ivankov assumed dead.

survivor

Banned
Why are you guys arguing about Luffy vs Magellan? Magellan straight up poisons Luffy, tells him you will suffer extreme pain for 24 hours then die, and throws him in a level 5 cell. Why the fuck would he check if he is dead? lol

PK Gaming

One Piece defense force... Activate!

1) Magellan sees people with bigger bounties and greater reputations than Luffy's was on a daily basis. Why would Magellan give Luffy the time of day when he offs Level 6 prisoners like nothing?

2) What had Luffy really done at that point? breaking in was impressive, but all he'd achieved since was letting a few nobodies out of their cells. Not really enough to warrant watching him die personally.

3) It's not like he did nothing either. Luffy got thrown into a Level 5 cell. With Buggy and 3 captured, 2 on the run and the riot on levels 1+2 quelled, who was going to save him? especially with Ivankov assumed dead.

3 I agree with but1 & 2 is a big no-no. Luffy is the first person to break into Impel down, ever and he's trying to free Ace, a person who is arguably the most important criminal at the time. To compare to a standard lvl 6er is just wrong imo. Magellan should have absolutely pay attention to him.

Now I don't have a problem with the way he beat Luffy, the man was as good as dead. (no point in lugging around a dead corpse... like you said he was thrown into a lvl 5 cell anyway). I only expressed my displeasure with the way he dealt with Mr. 2. He even says "any last words?" which strongly implies he was going to kill him. My guess it that their fight got interrupted OR Oda just retconned the scene and had Magellan take him to a cell. "Technically" at that point things were under control so I could see Magellan calming down to the point where he wasn't going to kill him.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Why are you guys arguing about Luffy vs Magellan? Magellan straight up poisons Luffy, tells him you will suffer extreme pain for 24 hours then die, and throws him in a level 5 cell. Why the fuck would he check if he is dead? lol
No one is arguing. I made my point, anyone who disagrees is just wrong.

Magellan is an idiot. Oda made him one for the sake of plot. No, you don't just let the first person to ever break into Impel Down successfully and is trying to to break out the most important criminal in the world at that point in time (a criminal whose fate will decide an era) just "die" in a cell. That's just fucking dumb. Dumb dumb dumb. You fucking kill him on point to stop any chance of ANYTHING happening. The thing is, it wouldn't have been hard to just kill Luffy right there or take him with him either. So to not do that is even dumber.

At this point, he'd already done impossible things, did Magellan think there was a 0% chance of him surviving? Just like there was a 0% chance of him breaking into Impel Down? When things like this happen, you take more caution than you usually would. And this is not a usual case at all. It's the first time it's happening.

Steroyd

One Piece

It's quite possible that Blackbeard freed his new crew in time to interrupt Megallan from wrecking Bon Clay proper.

That's what Magellan does to everyone, no exceptions, he doesn't bother checking for pulses, he leaves them to suffer to death from his poison then moves on, he did this before and after the breakout.

survivor

Banned

Magellan is an idiot. Oda made him one for the sake of plot. No, you don't just let the first person to ever break into Impel Down successfully and is trying to to break out the most important criminal in the world at that point in time (a criminal whose fate will decide an era) just "die" in a cell. That's just fucking dumb. Dumb dumb dumb. You fucking kill him on point to stop any chance of ANYTHING happening. The thing is, it wouldn't have been hard to just kill Luffy right there or take him with him either. So to not do that is even dumber.

At this point, he'd already done impossible things, did Magellan think there was a 0% chance of him surviving? Just like there was a 0% chance of him breaking into Impel Down? When things like this happen, you take more caution than you usually would. And this is not a usual case at all. It's the first time it's happening.

lol ok so you got nothing outside of saying "dumb dumb dumb"

3 I agree with but1 & 2 is a big no-no. Luffy is the first person to break into Impel down, ever and he's trying to free Ace, a person who is arguably the most important criminal at the time. To compare to a standard lvl 6er is just wrong imo. Magellan should have absolutely pay attention to him.

Now I don't have a problem with the way he beat Luffy, the man was as good as dead. (no point in lugging around a dead corpse... like you said he was thrown into a lvl 5 cell anyway). I only expressed my displeasure with the way he dealt with Mr. 2. He even says "any last words?" which strongly implies he was going to kill him. My guess it that their fight got interrupted OR Oda just retconned the scene and had Magellan take him to a cell. "Technically" at that point things were under control so I could see Magellan calming down to the point where he wasn't going to kill him.

He could just let Magellan stop his assault after hearing whats going down in Level 6 resulting in number 2's capture and Magellan himself going down there/almost dying.

Wiseblade

Big One hacked your account?

They had no idea why Luffy was there. It's not like Luffy's relation to Ace was public knowledge.

Your argument sound like you're faulting Magellan for not realising that Luffy is the main character and doing everything in his power to stop him early.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
lol ok so you got nothing outside of saying "dumb dumb dumb"
What I'm saying is that Luffy was at that point the most important person to take out. Why would Magellan treat him like anyone else? That's the point. Luffy isn't like any other prisoner. HE IS A NOT A PRISONER. This is the man who is making a fool of your prison and doing unprecedented things. And to make things even worse, what he is trying to accomplish is even worse than an Impel Down break-in. He is trying to save the prisoner whose fate will decide an era.
They had no idea why Luffy was there. It's not like Luffy's relation to Ace was public knowledge.

Your argument sound like you're faulting Magellan for not realising that Luffy is the main character and doing everything in his power to stop him early.
They had no idea Luffy was there? IDK who "they" is. But at the point Magellan encountered Luffy, he knew who Luffy was and that he is the break-in, and that he's trying to save Ace. That's alll that matters.

And yes, I'm faulting Magellan for not realizing that one who has achieved the previously thought thing to be "impossible" should be killed immediately.

Your not trying to form a argument over the main character of a shonen manga having plot armor are you ?
The same can be said for thousands of other series.

survivor

Banned
What I'm saying is that Luffy was at that point the most important person to take out. Why would Magellan treat him like anyone else? That's the point. Luffy isn't like any other prisoner. HE IS A NOT A PRISONER. This is the man who is making a fool of your prison and doing unprecedented things. And to make things even worse, what he is trying to accomplish is even worse than an Impel Down break-in. He is trying to save the prisoner whose fate will decide an era.

And that's why he rendered him unable to move with fatal poison to torture him for 24 hours cause of what he did. He was pissed and he wanted Luffy to suffer for it.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
And that's why he rendered him unable to move with fatal poison to torture him for 24 hours cause of what he did. He was pissed and he wanted Luffy to suffer for it.
Fine, if he wants to do that, that's fine. But keep him in your sights. He's the most important man. PERIOD. Don't just trust him with fodderjailers or whoever. They obviously can't keep an eye on things, as evidenced by the situation they're in in the first place.
Your not try to form a argument over the main character of a shonen manga having plot armor are you .
Plot armor is exactly what it is. Which is fine, but at the same time making one of the big bads of an arc and the warden of the biggest prison of the world look like a complete idiot at the same time, that's wack.

And now he looks even more incompetent because apparently Bon Clay is alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom