• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes!

Papa no iukoto wo kikinasai! Chronicles

fzolF.png

RAIKA IS MY WAIFU

Step over Aunt Tits, this manga is the king of smut

Raika has gotta be up there on my waifu list

upandaway

In regards to this skipping debate, are you guys talking about speed reading and/or skimming pages or are you actually skipping pages? I can understand why some people would do the former (especially with some of the Medaka Box examples) because you can still get a general understanding of what's going on from skimming words, but I don't understand why you would skip panels or pages in a manga you're invested in reading.
It's flat out impossible that they're skipping because to skip a panel means to read enough of it to decide if you should skip it or not.

There's some critical amount of information we're missing if someone says he's truly skipping a panel. To begin with, can you have that much control over yourself? It's just a panel. Going over it with your eyes is sometimes enough to skim it.

So yeah I was pretty certain we were talking about skimming all along.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Sometimes I skip.

It's possible if you start a new chapter, realize it's just dragging on some inane plotthread from the previous chapter you can't be arsed to read through, then you read the first few pages to get an idea of what's happening and skip to the end.

Zekes!

Caught up to Beelzebub. Now I'm wondering what I should read next...

Any recs for good mystery/thrillers? I've already read the big ones like Monster, 21st Century Boys, Pluto, Death Note, etc.

upandaway

Caught up to Beelzebub. Now I'm wondering what I should read next...

Any recs for good mystery/thrillers? I've already read the big ones like Monster, 21st Century Boys, Pluto, Death Note, etc.
I can't remember if you read Shingeki no Kyojin so I'm gonna go with that

upandaway

I'm starting to wonder just how likely it is for Shokugeki no Soma to be serialized in Jump. It's that cooking one-shot that was in Jump NEXT with the artist being tosh (y'know, that tosh, Haly you know the guy). It seems people really dig it, but I'm suspecting they're only doing it because they want a weekly tosh manga.

There's Jump this week right?
I'm just gonna reveal it now, Jump doesn't exist, this thread conjured everything. The big 3 are side manga in Sunday.

neoanarch

At least this attitude explains why some people keep "reading" terrible manga.

I just remembered I never finished my baseball manga adventure. Rookies and Ace of Diamonds was a spectacular 1-2 punch of baseball greatness.

Shokugeki no Soma
It wouldn't be the first time jump hired a h-artist.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Manga is a form of literature, you're supposed to read it like a book, but with pictures. Fuck, that's the entire comic medium right there. If you can't appreciate that, stop reading manga, period. If this is how everyone thinks when they read manga, I guess I must be some type of peak human or something.

Peak human... LOL.

Yeah, people skip stuff in books too. Like the first 5 pages of any chapter in a WoT book pre Jordan death where he'd tediously recap the character's backstory every time they were mentioned...

Or in LOTR. If you don't like the songs, for hell's green kissing sake don't read them. Doesn't hurt the story at all.

Dresden

Why read when you can look at a picture, a vastly superior form of communication with each image equaling a thousand words? And if the pictures move, the potential is potentially endless!

Like, you could read what I wrote above, or you could get the same meaning from the gif below without reading it. All you have to do is glance at it and the meaning is clear. Instant transmission.

miOxl.gif

flawfuls

Why read when you can look at a picture, a vastly superior form of communication with each image equaling a thousand words? And if the pictures move, the potential is potentially endless!

Like, you could read what I wrote above, or you could get the same meaning from the gif below without reading it. All you have to do is glance at it and the meaning is clear. Instant transmission.

http://i.imgur.com/miOxl.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

And because that gif is animated it counts as like millions of words!

Haly

I see Big One is being Big One again.
And because that gif is animated it counts as like millions of words!
And that is not even taking into account the sub picture within the greater picture.

We're talking billions.

flawfuls

Kamisama no Inai Nichiyoubi 7-8

It's been a while since I last read this. Good to know it's still as hilariously sadistic as ever.

Big One

Banned
Peak human... LOL.

Yeah, people skip stuff in books too. Like the first 5 pages of any chapter in a WoT book pre Jordan death where he'd tediously recap the character's backstory every time they were mentioned...

Or in LOTR. If you don't like the songs, for hell's green kissing sake don't read them. Doesn't hurt the story at all.
I guess that makes it ok, right? Nope. If you skip anything, you have absolutely not a single right to to make an adequate judgment on something outside of personal preference at best.

Haly

I guess that makes it ok, right? Nope. If you skip anything, you have absolutely not a single right to to make an adequate judgment on something outside of personal preference at best.
Good thing most of us are only judging manga by our tastes then!

dumbyugi

I don't think anyone on here has ever claimed that they judge on anything other then personal preference. Most of your posts are talking about how you hate Bleach and Naruto and that they factually suck so it's hard to think you can make adequate judgement on something.

HSDK
This chapter was awesome really looking forward to next week to see what happens .

Also Bon is alive and it's great we finally get to see him again. .

Depends. If it's just a big chunk of exposition, the writer failed already.

For me it depends on presentation and placement.

What I can't bring myself to appreciate/accept is huge chunks of exposition in say, chapter 1-2. If I'm actively invested in a story and it's shown it can go on for a long time without relying over huge chunks of text, then I'm more lenient.

When it comes to series that just decide to give you half a novel purely as an introduction..there's something wrong there.

I think HxH can get fairly text heavy at times (didn't it get text heavy with the election stuff?)
but the stuff is clever enough to make reading it a must.

But if a series gives you a whole bunch of exposition that seems absolutely unnecessary (tell, don't show-esque situations) it is sloppy writing, I agree.

I think you can judge the quality of something without having to read every single line. There's been at least a dozen chapters of Bleach where the pretentious engrish spouted by the characters added absolutely nothing
to storytelling at all.

I don't think "absolute knowledge" is required when it comes to trying to objectively judge the quality of a series. Heck, if you can properly follow a series whilst skipping large chunks of exposition, maybe that implies the exposition
is largely unnecessary to begin with?

You're making it sound a lot more black and white than it is.

neoanarch

I think you can judge the quality of something without having to read every single line. There's been at least a dozen chapters of Bleach where the pretentious engrish spouted by the characters added absolutely nothing
to storytelling at all.

I don't think "absolute knowledge" is required when it comes to trying to objectively judge the quality of a series. Heck, if you can properly follow a series whilst skipping large chunks of exposition, maybe that implies the exposition
is largely unnecessary to begin with?

You're making it sound a lot more black and white than it is.

If you skip chunks of a manga on a regular basis, does that not imply you don't like the manga? Why continue reading something you don't actually want to read.

"I like the cheese in my cheeseburgers but don't eat anything else, therefore I like cheeseburgers."

If you skip chunks of a manga on a regular basis, does that not imply you don't like the manga? Why continue reading something you don't actually want to read.

"I like the cheese in my cheeseburgers but don't eat anything else, therefore I like cheeseburgers."

Yeah, I'm not saying anything about liking it or not. Big One was saying that if you skip stuff you can't properly comment on or criticize a manga.

If I skip stuff in a manga it generally means I don't really like it, though I barely do that anyway; But I don't think skipping meaningless exposition in low quality manga somehow
means I can't properly judge if it's low quality.

neoanarch

Yeah, I'm not saying anything about liking it or not. Big One was saying that if you skip stuff you can't properly comment on or criticize a manga.

If I skip stuff in a manga it generally means I don't really like it, though I barely do that anyway; But I don't think skipping meaningless exposition in low quality manga somehow
means I can't properly judge if it's low quality.

I'm with Big One on that one. You shouldn't make a judgement call on a manga as a whole unless you experience it as a whole. And just to be clear your like or dislike isn't dependent on a mangas quality. You can like something and concede it is low quality or dislike something and concede it is high quality.

naruto
Wonder if Itachi is taken out, i doubt it but why waste a double spread on someone who can just regenerate.

pretty pictures though.

I'm with Big One on that one. You shouldn't make a judgement call on a manga as a whole unless you experience it as a whole. And just to be clear your like or dislike isn't dependent on a mangas quality. You can like something and concede it is low quality or dislike something and concede it is high quality.

As with any product, I think sometimes the quality or lack of quality is such a large part of the whole that sometimes knowing, seeing or reading a mere 10% is enough to judge the overal quality of a product.

There are some cases where what you're saying makes sense to a large degree. Manga in which dialogue and especially exposition is crucial to understanding finer details of the plot elements are a prime example.

HxH's whole "political arc" isn't one you can judge if you skip half of the dialogue, because it has a lot of minor yet important information that could only be properly conveyed through text. I don't see how anyone could possibly judge that arc, let alone the manga itself, by skipping "boring text".

But at the same time I know of series where huge chunks of dialogue and sometimes even entire scenes serve little to no purpose or are thrown in at inconvenient or laughable moments.

When I made the mistake of deciding to do a speed read of Wolf Guy I actively skipped any dialogue that started with the protagonist yapping about how noble wolves are.

Y'know why? That dialogue served no purpose apart from him repeating the same tired mantra over and over, the same shitty antisocial philosophy doesn't suddenly become meaningful when the character says it for the 45th time.

If dialogue is clearly undeniably repetitive or in some way not essential to the flow of the story at all, the fact that one can skip it without confusion about what they're reading and/or lessening the experience this itself can say something about the quality of the writing.

Just for clarity: In most manga I deem at least sorta worthwhile of reading like Naruto, OP, Bleach, TWGOK, FT etc I do not skip any panels at all. Most of them aren't that dialogue heavy and tend to have at least decent pacing to their text.

But some series like the previously mentioned Wolf Guy insist so damn heavily on repetition that I cannot bring myself to read past the words "nobility of the wolf".

I don't see how I'm somehow not qualified to judge a series in terms of quality when it factually does this sort of stuff.

One Piece
Law on the move , yeti cool brothers look like they could be fun .
I expect things to start going in next 2 or 3 chapters .

Now, Itachi is back?

Bloody Hell, Naruto is becoming a troll series by now.

Itachi has been around for a good set of chapters .
You now catching up or something like that ?

Mr. Fix

Naruto
More fanservice. Though I was wondering where the sound 5 were. Also, shouldn't Itachi not be affected by an attack like that? I'm guessing there's something different about it, and Kabuto would know how to deal with it. Better than the last chapter anyway.

One Piece
Fuck yeah @ Bon Clay! The brothers seem cool. Law being a boss of course. Good to know he wasn't responsible for what's going on. Definitely seems like a spy though.

scy

I'm starting to wonder just how likely it is for Shokugeki no Soma to be serialized in Jump. It's that cooking one-shot that was in Jump NEXT with the artist being tosh (y'know, that tosh, Haly you know the guy). It seems people really dig it, but I'm suspecting they're only doing it because they want a weekly tosh manga.

Hahaha .. ha ...

...cooking, you say?

Sai

Bon Clay's back?!

Naruto
Also, shouldn't Itachi not be affected by an attack like that?
If allowed, his body will eventually regenerate. But as we've seen with Edo Tensei bodies before, if they sustain damage significant enough, they will crumble away momentarily, vulnerable to sealing techniques 'n the like.

Hope Itachi got Izanami active before he took that attack, because now Kabuto's in a perfect position to take back his pawn.

One Piece

This arc seems pretty unpredictable...I like where this is going. I expected the 88 Cool Brothers to be goof balls, but they seem pretty focused...obviously the others aren't dead, but not sure how they were taken out...They are likely to have some trouble with Luffy though, given all the haki training he has had, I doubt they will be any sort of match for him....I reckon it is more likely Zoro and Sanji will match up against them..maybe even ussop

One Piece

Yay Bon Clay~

I really wonder what those cool brothers did to Zoro's group. They definitely didn't use their extremely destructive guns, that's for sure.

The fact that they seemingly just vanished into thin air as Luffy tried to kick them is interesting as well, I wonder if these guys have some sort of DF power? Every single thing about them seems fishy.

One Piece

Bon Clay is alive, Okama Way forever.

The brothers must have some DF to disappear like that, I expect them to have stupid faces.

Law being a boss is awesome. I predict that Joker is Don Flamingo since Law knows who it is and Don Flamingo reminds me of the Joker.

Naruto

Next chapter, it was all a illusion. Sharigan hax.

One Piece

Yay Bon Clay~

I really wonder what those cool brothers did to Zoro's group. They definitely didn't use their extremely destructive guns, that's for sure.

The fact that they seemingly just vanished into thin air as Luffy tried to kick them is interesting as well, I wonder if these guys have some sort of DF power? Every single thing about them seems fishy.

The basic concept seems to be that they are hunters that seem particularly adapted to their glacial habitat...perhaps they can burrow into the ice or some such being Yetis...but it is probably that they are camoflaging themselves into the snow extremely proficiently...If they are just ranged opponents, they aren't really a good match for Luffy ie they are overmatched by him

As for the whole skimming or skipping thing, i could see skimming happening and that's cool but a no no for actual skipping.

Naruto

The chapter was alright with Itachi trying to show how Kabuto is just being some pale imitation of a certain snake.

And given the amount of eye magic going around i won't believe that final scene just yet.

One Piece

After all this time we finally know of Bon Clay's fate.

These brothers seem interesting but i still want to know what happened to Zoro and crew since the bro's tactics seem more extreme right now with their guns.

Still not sure why Law is there but i wouldn't be surprised if he would try to help the kids since he seemed pretty disgusted when Ceasar told him what he did to them. And still broken as fuck

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
One Piece: B

Best thing about the chapter was seeing Bon-Clay. I could've sworn he was dead.

And ah, this chapter... much better than the last chapter. These brothers are just assassin's, we'll see if there's anything more to their characters. It's hard to tell what's going on in Law's head right now. Where the fuck is his crew? Or are they just disbanded (for now) because he joined the Shichibukai anyway? That ain't cool...Either way, he's on the move now. Good.

This Ceasar clown guy is stupid and annoying. Whatever.

I'm not buying that Zoro got murked in any way shape or form by these losers. I wonder what REALLY happened. And either way, I hope we get to see Luffy do some fighting next chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom