• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

They had no idea why Luffy was there. It's not like Luffy's relation to Ace was public knowledge.

Your argument sound like you're faulting Magellan for not realising that Luffy is the main character and doing everything in his power to stop him early.

The bolded is irrelevant. Magellan swore that he would not allow Luffy to rescue Ace, nor would he allow him to step outside of Impel down. It doesn't matter what kind of relationship he has with Ace, he swore that he wouldn't let him get away for breaking inti impel down.

I'm not 100% on Stat's side here (he basically killed Luffy, and I don't have a problem with his actions regarding the way he dealt with him). He had no way of knowing that Luffy would be saved by Ivankov (who was presumed dead.)

I just thought it was odd that a man (who basically kills prisoners on a whim for insulting him) would let Mr. 2 live, considering it was because him Luffy managed to escape with his life.

It's quite possible that Blackbeard freed his new crew in time to interrupt Megallan from wrecking Bon Clay proper.

Err you mean Shillew right? I definitely agree this is probably the only possible answer here.

Wiseblade

What I'm saying is that Luffy was at that point the most important person to take out. Why would Magellan treat him like anyone else? That's the point. Luffy isn't like any other prisoner. HE IS A NOT A PRISONER. This is the man who is making a fool of your prison and doing unprecedented things. And to make things even worse, what he is trying to accomplish is even worse than an Impel Down break-in. He is trying to save the prisoner whose fate will decide an era.

They had no idea Luffy was there? IDK who "they" is. But at the point Magellan encountered Luffy, he knew who Luffy was and that he is the break-in, and that he's trying to save Ace. That's alll that matters.

And yes, I'm faulting Magellan for not realizing that one who has achieved the previously thought thing to be "impossible" should be killed immediately.

"They" referrs to the officers of Impel Down. I sure the wardens on monitor duty who first spot luffy say they have no idea why he's there and Magellan says something like "I have no idea why you're here, but you're not leaving alive" at the start of their fight.

And again, Luffy was nothing compared to the people being held in Level 6. Why would Magellan give half a minute worrying about some rookie (who is about to die anyway) when he deals with some of the worst pirates ever to set sail on a daily basis?

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
The main point you guys are making is that Magellan isn't really at fault because he "basically"/"thought he"/"assumed he" killed Luffy or that Luffy was done.

What I'm saying is that at that point in time, assuming anything is stupid. Thinking that what worked in the past will work now is irrational. This is a unique situation. Assuming that because you've done to Luffy what you've done to everyone else will work is being foolish. Why? Because Luffy has already accomplished the impossible. Even if it wasn't of his own doing.
And again, Luffy was nothing compared to the people being held in Level 6. Why would Magellan give half a minute worrying about some rookie (who is about to die anyway) when he deals with some of the worst pirates ever to set sail on a daily basis?
Luffy is more important than them because he's not locked down. He's a break in. Did any of those guys break in to Impel Down? Are any of those guys trying to save Ace (the most important of all Level 6ers)? Have any of those guys successfully broken out? Nah. So yeah, Luffy is of paramount importance.

I just thought it was odd that a man (who basically kills prisoners on a whim for insulting him) would let Mr. 2 live, considering it was because him Luffy managed to escape with his life.

Because a problem that is frankly greater than number 2 could come up (eg Level 6)?

Luffy is more important than them because he's not locked down. He's a break in. Did any of those guys break in to Impel Down? Are any of those guys trying to save Ace (the most important of all Level 6ers)? Have any of those guys successfully broken out? Nah. So yeah, Luffy is of paramount importance.

Actually you could go the opposite direction of him being a fucking idiot and treated as such but you know Luffy made it work to their detriment.

survivor

Banned
The main point you guys are making is that Magellan isn't really at fault because he "basically"/"thought he"/"assumed he" killed Luffy or that Luffy was done.

What I'm saying is that at that point in time, assuming anything is stupid. Thinking that what worked in the past will work now is irrational. This is a unique situation. Assuming that because you've done to Luffy what you've done to everyone else will work is being foolish. Why? Because Luffy has already accomplished the impossible. Even if it wasn't of his own doing.

Uh no, it's not foolish. Nobody can survive his poison without the antidote which Luffy had no way of getting.

The only flaw in what Magellan actions was that Luffy is the main character. Outside of that, Luffy was a dead man if he was anyone else.

PK Gaming

Because a problem that is frankly greater than number 2 would come up (eg Level 6)?

Yeah I amended that in my post, its the only way Mr. 2 is alive right now.

...Otherwise we're looking at Naruto/Bleach level asspull.
(gags)

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Uh no, it's not foolish. Nobody can survive his poison without the antidote which Luffy had no way of getting.
More assumptions. Foolish thinking (on Magellan's part). If he would have stopped assuming things (like how he assumed no one could break into Impel Down...which...happened) and just killed him...one of his biggest problems would be solved.

Assuming things are gonna go the way you plan when the exact opposite is happening right in front of your eyes is foolish. You must make certain of things with your own eyes. This is especially true of a head warden.

survivor

Banned
More assumptions. Foolish thinking. If he would have stopped assuming things (like how he assumed no one could break into Impel Down...which...happened) and just killed him...one of his biggest problems would be solved.

Assuming things are gonna go the way you plan when the exact opposite is happening right in front of your eyes is foolish. You must make certain of things with your own eyes. This is especially true of a head warden.

sigh

again, there is a reason why he didn't outright kill him.

And I don't see how assuming things is foolish. He poisoned with fatal poison that will kill a person in 24 hours and put him in level 5 prison. there are no assumptions about that

Lain

Hanashippanashi End

That was soooo good. I didn't really like this manga when I started reading it way back when it was first getting translated, but it eventually won me over big time. I didn't really get better or anything, it just clicked after a while. It's a very unique manga, the closest thing to it is probably Mushishi as it does the whole nature/fantasy thing in a very similar way, but the short stories in this manga aren't really stories. It's very hard to describe but basically it's artsy fartsy nonsensical hipster bullshit.

Of course the real reason to read this is because it's made by Daisuke Igarashi, the best manga artist in the history of the universe. I am now going spam images because as we established earlier in the thread this is the best form of communication.

And this is Daisuke Igarashi's ugliest manga.

I've only read Saru from him, but I have to agree that he's a great artist. I still need to start looking for more of his stuff.

The bolded is irrelevant. Magellan swore that he would not allow Luffy to rescue Ace, nor would he allow him to step outside of Impel down. It doesn't matter what kind of relationship he has with Ace, he swore that he wouldn't let him get away for breaking inti impel down.

I'm not 100% on Stat's side here (he basically killed Luffy, and I don't have a problem with his actions regarding the way he dealt with him). He had no way of knowing that Luffy would be saved by Ivankov (who was presumed dead.)

Err you mean Shillew right? I definitely agree this is probably the only possible answer here.

I will say this again he does not kill anybody right away , he poison them and leaves them for dead.
Even after Magellan found out luffy was alive again all he did to BB the man that caught Ace and a warlord was poison him and leave him to die .
Steroyd is mostly likely talking about what happen off panel that the level 6 guys who were free mess him up or BB since he had already gotten the antidote.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
sigh

again, there is a reason why he didn't outright kill him.
And like I said, that's fine. But at least don't leave him in the hands of people that you know cannot be fully trusted to do the job right...as evidenced by the break-in itself. If you want him to suffer, take him with you. That way you certify that nothing will happen. Well, I'm just saying that would be the reasonable thing to do.

And assuming that Luffy could not be healed or saved just because it has never been done before (or seems impossible) is the problem. Just hours ago the dude thought that Impel Down couldn't be broken into because it was never done before. I'm sure that seemed impossible, but it happened. Kill the dude yourself, make sure that he's dead (DEAD DEAD) and you don't have this problem of there being a chance, no matter how small, that things can go wrong.

PK Gaming

Pell was a mediocre one off character who barely got any character development prior to his death.

Mr.2 was an important character who was predominantly featured throughout the plot of OP.

When Pell "died" I couldn't care less.
When Mr. 2 "died" I almost teared up.

survivor

Banned
And like I said, that's fine. But at least don't leave him in the hands of people that you know cannot be fully trusted to do the job right...as evidenced by the break-in itself. If you want him to suffer, take him with you. That way you certify that nothing will happen. Well, I'm just saying that would be the reasonable thing to do.

And assuming that Luffy could not be healed or saved just because it has never been done before (or seems impossible) is the problem. Just hours ago the dude thought that Impel Down couldn't be broken into because it was never done before. I'm sure that seemed impossible, but it happened. Kill the dude yourself, make sure that he's dead (DEAD DEAD) and you don't have this problem of there being a chance, no matter how small, that things can go wrong.

lol the two things don't relate to each other

Pell was a mediocre one off character who barely got any character development prior to his death.

Mr.2 was an important character who was predominantly featured throughout the plot of OP.

Are you joking before that arc Mr 2 fought Sanji and help the SH escape .
Pell and Mr 2 were about even in terms of stuff they did before ID.

Doesn't matter what kinda of character development he got its fact he fucking survived such a situation.

Wiseblade

More assumptions. Foolish thinking (on Magellan's part). If he would have stopped assuming things (like how he assumed no one could break into Impel Down...which...happened) and just killed him...one of his biggest problems would be solved.

You're acting like the whole prison was falling apart at the time of their first encounter. The people Buggy and Mr 3 let out of their cages ran straight back into them after the guards showed up. and they themselves had been caught by Hannyabal by the time Luffy was poisoned.

Your would have needed Magellan to know/suspect that:

Ivankov was alive
Ivankov could cure his poison
Luffy could escape his cage
Luffy could find Ivankov

All of which were inconceivable. "But Luffy has a history of doing the impossible!", I hear you type. Except that Luffy's past antics are less than nothing compared to other people in the prison.

Sure killing Luffy when he had the chnce would have been the smart thing to do, but people don't behave that way in One Piece and Magellan shouldn't be failted for not doing that.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
lol the two things don't relate to each other
One was thought to be impossible. The other was thought to be impossible

It doesn't matter if they relate directly in their nature. What matters is that the notion of "impossible" or "can't happen" needs to go out the window. Anything is possible. As such, kill the fucker dead or deal with the consequences. He, like an idiot, didn't kill the fucker dead, or at least make sure with his own eyes that he would be killed.

I've definitely filled my OP discussion quota. Will read Naruto and Bleach later.

survivor

Banned
One was thought to be impossible. The other was thought to be impossible

It doesn't matter if they relate directly in their nature. What matters is that the notion of "impossible" or "can't happen" needs to go out the window. Anything is possible. As such, kill the fucker dead or deal with the consequences. He, like an idiot, didn't kill the fucker dead, or at least make sure with his own eyes that he would be killed.

I've definitely filled my OP discussion quota. Will read Naruto and Bleach later.

That doesn't make them related at all

They should just make Pariston Hill from HxH the warden instead, he would've dealt with this due to the power of being extremely genre savvy, just like you.

PK Gaming

Are you joking before that arc Mr 2 fought Sanji and help the SH escape .
Pell and Mr 2 were about even in terms of stuff they did before ID.

You're out of your mind if you think the 2 are even in terms of plot relevance. Like really, full blown "i'm arguing for the sake or arguing" type deal. Go back and read through the entirety of OP again and tell me that with a straight face. EVEN IF YOU WERE RIGHT, Mr. 2's actions in impel down ALONE makes me care about him more than Pell (who is and will always be a one off character)

Doesn't matter what kinda of character development he got its fact he fucking survived such a situation.

Am I supposed to be impressed?!?

It's crazy, we have Pell who save luffy then save Vivi .
After that he look like he sacrifice him self to save everyone from a bomb he still lives and people thinking Bon was dead because it went off panel .

You're out of your mind if you think the 2 are even in terms of plot relevance. Like really, full blown "i'm arguing for the sake or arguing" type deal. Go back and read through the entirety of OP again and tell me that with a straight face. EVEN IF YOU WERE RIGHT, Mr. 2's actions in impel down ALONE makes me care about him more than Pell (who is and will always be a one off character)

As i said before impel down there were about the same in terms of character development and Pell live threw something that was crazy as fuck .
Just because we spend more time with Bon does not increase his chances of dying off panel .

It's crazy, we have Pell who save luffy then save Vivi .
After that he look like he sacrifice him self to save everyone from a bomb he still lives and people thinking Bon was dead because it went off panel .

I guess Pell needed to give a rousing speech before it happened. :p

The hilarious thing is, that after Whitebeard and Ace in the Marineford arc, everyone was fair game for a while.

to be honest i thought Oda would pull our leg with Ace at least (since WB is the old guard) but it actually went through.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Lol what? What's wrong with HxH? Except the obvious
The problem with HxH, this most recent hiatus too...

1) Does Togashi just not care enough to at least tell his fans what's up? What's going on? As people who are interested in his series, does he think at least they don't deserve to know what's happening? When they can expect a comeback?

2) Why did he start an arc with one chapter and then go on hiatus? At least just end the arc on the last chapter before a hiatus. Supreme kick in the teeth to fans.

3) The latest arc had a bullshit ending.

I didn't read the last chapter that came out...and I probably won't care enough to continue reading when it comes back. Until Kurapika vs Ryodan part 2 happens.

Anteater

One Piece

Brutal scene with Brownbeard getting shot multiple times point blank, kind of a cliffhanger chapter, I have a feeling the next chapter or so will progress a bit slower since everyone are split again.

Bleach

At least i understand now when the Ishidas called themselves the last quincies. They don´t agree with the VR´s methods and probably don´t acknowledge them as quincies.

Mr. Fix

Bleach

At least i understand now when the Ishidas called themselves the last quincies.

Don't even try it. You're obviously trying to save Kubo-face by reading into something not there, or by twisting things to make sense for you.

As for PK, my assumption for Bon Clay surviving would be that Blackbeard stirred up trouble, and BC could have fled to the hideout. Who knows?

Ichigo vs. Ulquiorra was some plot armor bullshit too so don't even Stat. His hollow powers basically give him the edge to win some.

scy

Goddamnit, lack of Big 3 releases recently lulled me in a false sense of security. So many posts to go through :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The big beast thing is going to get owned in one panel to show off how strong the Quincy is.

Then Ichigo is going to own him.

Can't wait for Ryuuken to fight.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Why? The indication was that Bon Clay died to save Luffy. At the very least that´s the impression that got when the phone call was cut.

Nah. He's too awesome to die. It was always just a question of when he would reappear.

Naruto

Yeah...uhm...considering the hack that was Izanagi, pretty sure Itachi is not dead if Izanami is even better. Nice try.
Itachi's a zombie. He'll just regrow his legs next panel. Him getting cut in half is completely pointless.

Bleach

Am I supposed to be excited by the appearance of some random Owl-monster that we've never seen before?

Could've been Grimm Jow or something.
That thing has appeared before in fake Karakura town. It tore out Matsumoto's stomach and beat Hisagi near to death until Yamamoto one shotted it.

Big One

Banned
One Piece B

Good chapter. Not sure why everyone is surprised about Bon Clay, though. He's been confirmed alive (or, err "captured") for weeks.

Cool Brothers are the motherfucking shit. I am HYPED. My body is ready.

Law looking more and more mysterious. Not sure who will end up being more evil: Law or Caesar Clown.

Bleach F

I don't even know what was going on cause I didn't read it and shit, but I'm assuming this chapter sucked.

Naruto D

D is for DARKNESS. God I'm so fucking sick and tired of seeing this emo crap in this series. Every emotional moment in the series fucking sucks so much it gives me an aneurysm in my dick.

Did Kishi really need to spend an entire chapter of Itachi talking about how he and Kabuto are the same despite him establishing that point chapters ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom