• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Take the whole quote: "If one side was just, it would be called a defense or suppression. But this is war and wars happen because both sides are just."

Unless the definition of war has changed since I checked last time this is like... completely throwing out the last 100 years of human history out of the window. If "believing in what you fight for" makes you just, there would be no need for these two sentences at all.
He's implying that it's naive to think of wars in terms of good and bad. People are willing to fight because they believe their side is in the right. This is not a novel idea and consistent with most of human history.

Alternatively, he's saying that a truly just cause doesn't exist. It all depends on where you stand but being 4zen he's playing with words.

He's implying that it's naive to think of wars in terms of good and bad. People are willing to fight because they believe their side is in the right. This is not a novel idea and consistent with most of human history.

Oh, I know what he is trying to imply but he worded it in such an ass-backwards way.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Retcon: nvm.

Although it's not really badly worded either. Wars happen because both sides are just. It's true.

Of course, you could say "wars happen because both sides [believe they] are just" is a more correct way to say it...but I'm sure that we can all imply here.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I thought they'd go after Shanks, Luffy could prove his worth. Big Mom is just Luffy's own issue for another future arc.

Can't believe I'm quoting and responding but...yes I see that as the twist. Law wants to take out Shanks, Luffy then doesn't go through with it and they go about their way.

I actually see it more that Luffy won't really care either way to help Law as long as it doesn't interfere with his fun.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Hitman Reborn!: B-

What the hell! This actually wasn't that bad! First good chapter in a while...

Let's see what actually happens.

Retcon: nvm.

Although it's not really badly worded either. Wars happen because both sides are just. It's true.

Of course, you could say "wars happen because both sides [believe they] are just" is a more correct way to say it...but I'm sure that we can all imply here.

For the sake of argument let's assume for a moment that there is universal justice. This would make the second sentence untrue since if there is only "one justice", there can only be one "just".

Now I think we both more or less agree that he's implying everybody has his own sense of "justice" making the second sentence true in a sense. But why bring up the first part at all then? He's basically saying "If there was an universal justice this wouldn't be called a war." Which is bullshit.

This would be a minor annoyance if someone said this casually but he just had to spread the damn thing over several pages and make it all shonen dramatized. Ble
ac
h.

Retcon: Don't think I like you because I'm discussing this with you though! /glass tsundere

Zoe said:
He did or the translator did?

Unless he completely changed what Kubo wrote there is no reason to assume that the original text was any better.

Jexemad

One Piece.

LMAO at Franky-in-Chopper. That was freaking hilarious.

Caesar is giving me a big Orochimaru vibe for some reason.

Kusagari

One Piece:

Law is destroying everyone this arc. Smoker, Tashigi and now he destroys the Yeti Cool Brothers instantly.

The Law/Luffy alliance should be interesting. Hope we find out who Joker is next chapter.

KHR

The cover page was pretty cool, as well as the chapter too. Hiieee, my favorite Tsuna quote from the anime made an appearance even. I did like Reborn's response about the boss watch.

The secret of the Arcobaleno being revealed makes me feel like the series may end soon.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
For the sake of argument let's assume for a moment that there is universal justice. This would make the second sentence untrue since if there is only "one justice", there can only be one "just".

Now I think we both more or less agree that he's implying everybody has his own sense of "justice" making the second sentence true in a sense. But why bring up the first part at all then? He's basically saying "If there was an universal justice this wouldn't be called a war." Which is bullshit.
Which "first part" are you referencing here?

Also, about what he's basically saying "if this was universal justice, this wouldn't be called a war"...I feel like you've flipped it to go more on your premise of there being a universal justice in the first place. I think it's more that what he's saying is "A war is defined by different groups of people have opposing ideas of justice." And that ain't bullshit.

ryan13ts

I think the Luffy/Law thing could very well happen, so long as the Yonko that Law wants to take out isn't Shanks. There's no way that Luffy would try to take down the person who inspired him to be a pirate in the first place (And also helped save his life), so I can't see it happening if that's the case. I'm even kinda iffy on this alliance of it's Kaidou too, since Luffy hasn't met him and therefore has no grudge to bear with him.

Blackbeard and Big Mom are the two who I would see Luffy willingly team up with Law to take down (Both for seperate, obvious reasons), so here's to hoping it's one of these two. I can only see all kinda of awesomeness from this ultimate team-up :D

Which "first part" are you referencing here?

Also, about what he's basically saying "if this was universal justice, this wouldn't be called a war"...I feel like you've flipped it to go more on your premise of there being a universal justice in the first place. I think it's more that what he's saying is "A war is defined by different groups of people have opposing ideas of justice." And that ain't bullshit.

The first sentence, sorry.

As I said, I know what the underlying message is but the first sentence is stupid in this context. It's not the fact that both sides feel justified that makes it a war. It's just sloppy writing, really.

Kusagari

I think the Luffy/Law thing could very well happen, so long as the Yonko that Law wants to take out isn't Shanks. There's no way that Luffy would try to take down the person who inspired him to be a pirate in the first place (And also helped save his life), so I can't see it happening if that's the case. I'm even kinda iffy on this alliance of it's Kaidou too, since Luffy hasn't met him and therefore has no grudge to bear with him.

Blackbeard and Big Mom are the two who I would see Luffy willingly team up with Law to take down (Both for seperate, obvious reasons), so here's to hoping it's one of these two. I can only see all kinda of awesomeness from this ultimate team-up :D

Big Mom makes the most sense. It feels like to me that Fishman Island, this arc, maybe even the next arc are just all leading up to the Big Mom arc.

BB going to be a end game enemy i see Luffy fighting him by himself .
He is the only Yonko that has a small crew like Luffy but he is broken with his DFs , he also a D which should play a big part later on in the story .

Yo Gotti

Banned
One Piece >_<!!!!!!!!

I'm just glad that Law is still a potential ally. I'd have loved to see him and Luffy fight, but the dude seems like he's on another level right now. Manipulating the gov't and CC at the same time, making light work of Smoker, and busting out new moves like it's nothing. That "Shock" just seemed like really fast movement inside his "Room" to me, the way there's shockwaves coming out of the Yeti's back makes it look like he took an insanely strong blow to the gut, and not literally an electric Shock.

The alliance will be interesting however it goes. If Law's plan involves taking down Shanks, I can see Luffy being completely opposed to it and possibly even fighting law because of it, but I doubt it'd be Shanks seeing as the guy is pretty much universally loved/feared by both pirates and the govt. They probably couldn't take him down either.

I don't think it'd be Big Mum, I don't think Luffy will ever truly fight her, once his relationship with Lola comes to light I think she'll back off and maybe become an ally or at least indifferent. They probably couldn't take down Blackbeard yet, with him out rampaging and stealing fruits, but I could see it possibly being him just to get him out of the way for a new villain, someone needs to slow down the guys crazy ascent. He apparently already gave Shanks a run for his money, and this was long before he got his abilties.

Kaidou seems most likely, we have no idea what he's capable of. Although he apparently lost to Shakes during the great war...

One Piece >_<!!!!!!!!

Kaidou seems most likely, we have no idea what he's capable of. Although he apparently lost to Shakes during the great war...

He did not lose to Shanks he try to attack WB and Shanks stop him .
We have no idea what happen afterward but it most likely end in a draw with Kaido going along his way since WB got to Marineford .

Yo Gotti

Banned
He did not lose to Shanks he try to attack WB and Shanks stop him .
We have no idea what happen afterward but it most likely end in a draw with Kaido going along his way .

Maybe it was a draw. I thought the implication was that he lost since Shanks showed up pretty much unscratched to Marineford.

Either way, I think Kaidou is most likely.

Maybe it was a draw. I thought the implication was that he lost since Shanks showed up pretty much unscratched to Marineford.

Either way, I think Kaidou is most likely.

It was a day afterwards plus Shanks showing up so fast and unscratched would show it was just a skirmish .
No way they getting into a big battle and it not news if one of them get beat .

I still think it's Big Mom we know nothing about Kaido so far , so for Luffy and Law to fighting him out of nowhere won't make any sense .
Luffy already has a connection Big Mom plus the biggest reason is that she is a woman , she going to get taken out first would be shock if that does not happen .

survivor

Banned
Enigma vol 1

Great concept for a manga. This reminds me a lot of 999 except it's shounen so probably not as dark and more asspulls. I'm just concerned if they will drag out the school settings for the rest of the manga or if they will move somewhere else.

789shadow

Banned
I don't think it'd be Big Mum, I don't think Luffy will ever truly fight her, once his relationship with Lola comes to light I think she'll back off and maybe become an ally or at least indifferent.
Um, I hate to break this too you, but Big Mom has absolutely no relation to Lola.

gunbo13

*1, 473,164 *,473,164 Kimi ni Todoke vol.16
That's certainly a lot of copies of nothing happening.

Should have bought this instead.
QyvIJ.jpg

Much cheaper and serves the same purpose.

Kusagari

Telling you guys it will be Luffy/Law/Kidd all teaming up to beat Big Mom. Only way to beat a Yonkou this early in the story, especially considering how large her crew must be.

That's certainly a lot of copies of nothing happening.

Should have bought this instead.
http://i.imgur.com/QyvIJ.jpg[/

Much cheaper and serves the same purpose.[/QUOTE]

Not again , where is the love gunbo :(
Wish the story would move a little faster but got to keep that cash incoming .

Toriko

Damn, big stuff be happening. I thought that shadow I actually meant the dude's skin got blasted away, but this is also pretty intimidating.

gunbo13

Not again , where is the love gunbo :(
Wish the story would move a little faster but got to keep that cash incoming .
I'll keep going until something finally happens. We are talking 16 volumes here. 10 volumes for Sawako and Kazehaya to sort the shit out. Fine, typical slow shoujo.

But ffs with 6 more volumes of complete nonsense. For Sawako x Kaze, they touched hands (OMG!) and now for no reason at all are "drifting apart". We also had a few volumes for Chizu and her older oniichan crush with Ryu doing his whole "but I'm a good #2" shit. Now we are on to Ayane, who is like trying to not be a slut or something. I say that girl is better then the entire cast put together cause she probably puts out.

All that shit could have been woven properly into the first 10 volumes. Or you do something meaningful and have those things going on in the background. 6 fucking volumes though for what I wrote in about three sentences (and trust me, there isn't much more to it) is ridiculous. I reward this manga no points and may God have mercy on its soulless binding made of awful toxic shoujo on a stick shit.

flawfuls

The other Wednesday tradition, weekly sales for May 7-13.

Manga
*1, 473,164 *,473,164 Kimi ni Todoke vol.16
*2, 414,099 2,689,552 One Piece vol.66
*3, 166,799 *,166,799 Worst vol.29
*4, 154,701 *,154,701 Gantz vol.34
*5, 144,464 *,992,290 Naruto vol.60
*6, *91,661 *,424,746 Bakuman vol.18
*7, *87,132 *,*87,132 Otoyomegatari vol.4
*8, *73,592 *,*73,592 Ane no Kekkon vol.3
*9, *71,852 *,*71,852 Shaman King Zero vol.1
10, *63,594 *,*63,594 Hanma Baki vol.34

11, *56,750 *,*57,057 Sengoku Tenshouki vol.14
12, *54,941 *,186,288 Gate 7 vol.3
13, *46,158 *,*46,158 Yowamushi Pedal vol.22
14, *44,458 *,*44,458 Shitsuren Chocolatier vol.5
15, *37,257 *,118,430 Vampire Knight vol.16
16, *31,883 *,*32,235 Wangan Midnight vol.10
17, *31,378 *,*31,378 Coppelion vol.14
18, *30,217 *,*30,217 Youkai Apartment no Yuuga na Nichijou vol.2
19, *29,193 *,*29,193 Q and A vol.6
20, *27,661 *,*88,153 Tegami Bachi vol.14

21, *27,156 *,*27,156 Bukkomi no Taku vol.15
22, *26,795 *,475,847 Gin no Saji vol.3
23, *23,280 *,*91,488 Toshokan Sensou: Love & War vol.9
24, *22,926 *,*22,926 Hunter x Hunter recap vol.6
25, *22,680 *,335,621 Uchuu Kyoudai vol.4
26, *22,587 *,328,639 Uchuu Kyoudai vol.3
27, *22,525 1,064,700 Thermae Romae vol.1
28, *22,199 *,341,186 Uchuu Kyoudai vol.1
29, *21,979 *,326,185 Uchuu Kyoudai vol.2
30, *21,825 *,332,410 Uchuu Kyoudai vol.5

Wow Q and A is a pretty big bomb.

My guilty pleasure. i love anything by kaoru mori. i feel like a 40 year old woman when i read any one of her mangas, but good lord don't i enjoy every single intricate page.

also, why do i keep reading bleach. why. i wish i could stop. i really do. i don't think i even enjoy it. i just....read.

gunbo13

My guilty pleasure.
You're going to have to up your game around here if Otoyomegatari is your guilty pleasure.

Fantastic art with near zero excitement. I like SoL but I have no connection to these characters. I haven't seen anything for me to care about them. And if you don't care about the characters, then you are reading a documentary. Might as well go to a museum and look at the art of the period. Only good thing right now about Snoring Bride Story is that the kid is partaking in the ultimate male fantasy competition. He can't touch Umi no Misaki, cause he's got 3 chicks jumping him alternating nights, but he has a shot at Oneesan Fiction. Fiction still has the edge though since the protag is in HS. If he capitalizes on Hot Bride Story though, then he'll easily get the silver.

Still better then KnT. ;)

survivor

Banned
You're going to have to up your game around here if Otoyomegatari is your guilty pleasure.

Fantastic art with near zero excitement. I like SoL but I have no connection to these characters. I haven't seen anything for me to care about them. And if you don't care about the characters, then you are reading a documentary. Might as well go to a museum and look at the art of the period. Only good thing right now about Snoring Bride Story is that the kid is partaking in the ultimate male fantasy competition. He can't touch Umi no Misaki, cause he's got 3 chicks jumping him alternating nights, but he has a shot at Oneesan Fiction. Fiction still has the edge though since the protag is in HS. If he capitalizes on Hot Bride Story though, then he'll easily get the silver.

So much wrong in this post

And I thought you would appreciate the manga with the best waifus

i don't know you but you're dead to me!

Mr. Fix

Telling you guys it will be Luffy/Law/Kidd all teaming up to beat Big Mom. Only way to beat a Yonkou this early in the story, especially considering how large her crew must be.

One of the things I'm really looking forward to is the Tea Party after this island (has it even been close to 2 weeks since they left?). I wanna see all her bamf crew members. Throw the Sun Pirates in and it'll be an epic arc for sure.

Though I wonder which of the supernovas allied with the yonkou. Drake's situation seems iffy.

789shadow

Banned
Really? Who was the Mom that she was referring to? Just some no-named pirate then?

I always thought they were referring to Big Mum.
She was talking about her mom. Whether or not she was a pirate I can't remember. But the "Big Mom is Lola's mother" thing is nothing more than speculation that for some reason a crap ton of people take as fact. She's not Lola's mom.

flawfuls

All that smut has finally gotten to you. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom