• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, well... At least he lost an eye while doing it? :p

Right now Izanami seems too powerful. While it's supposed to be Izanagi's counterpart, it seems more like a step above it. Opinions might change once we learn more about it.

:x

Kabuto did notice something when Itachi's left eye fizzled out.

But everybody's still trying to figure Izanami out. Like Izanagi, it doesn't seem to be an illusion technique that works through manipulation of the recipient's senses.

He's an invincible zombie. I don't think he can lose eyes.

Sai

It'd be one thing if Izanami literally destroyed the eye, but that isn't the case. Those resurrected by Edo Tensei aren't entirely immune to adverse side-effects, like Muu and Nidaime Mizukage.

Tell Kishimoto to stop abusing them. The current character count is like 500+

Even taking into account all the one off characters, it's still very little relative to the manga's length. OP has like 200 more and it's only at around 100 chapters longer at the moment.

Edit: only counting canon of course.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Even taking into account all the one off characters, it's still very little relative to the manga's length. OP has like 200 more and it's only at around 100 chapters longer at the moment.

Edit: only counting canon of course.

No it isn't. That's an absurd number of characters. Saying some other series has an absurdER number of characters doesn't mean Naruto doesn't have way too many characters.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
MW

Well now, this is probably the darkest and uneasiest Manga I've read by Osamu Tezuka.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
One Piece

Does anyone else think that Big Mom is supplying Ceasar Clown with candy? "Candy" might be some type of drug Big Mom is addicted too and is selling across the world.

It may be the other way around. He could be Big Mom's R&D department.

How did Kabuto fall into a genjutsu even though his eyes were covered? I mean Kabuto was in sage mode, it should at least disrupt the illusion by getting natural chakra. Genjutsu controls the sense through manipulating the chakra inside the body.

If it is a genjutsu at all. Sharingan's have demonstrated that they allow control over space and time too, (Kakashi, Tobi) so this may be an outright physical time loop Itachi's initiated.

gunbo13

There are some huge rifts on there. Something like the stupid shitfest of Infinite Ryvius doesn't sit in the same company as Planetes. That's insulting to the sublime greatness of Planetes. I'd argue that Negima is one of the worst, maybe even more so then IR, since you can't tell the damn girls apart.

That link angers me and so do you Grimace.

Dragonball chps 1 - 16

Although action is really lacking and Im still waiting for it to take off, lots of the chapters, or even just Goku's sillyness and Yamcha get me laughing. Really like Yamcha and hope he continues to have a presence if not even larger. Roshis Kamehameha though, that mountain!

JJBA part 8

Jojolion ch. 9

What is it with Jojos attracting crazy women enemies? The whole dialogue and this girl's motives are um...yeah she crazy.

Angry Grimace

There are some huge rifts on there. Something like the stupid shitfest of Infinite Ryvius doesn't sit in the same company as Planetes. That's insulting to the sublime greatness of Planetes. I'd argue that Negima is one of the worst, maybe even more so then IR, since you can't tell the damn girls apart.

The fact that one series has a million characters and another series has a billion characters doesn't mean that only one of the series has too many characters. Tropes aren't inherently bad anyways. The fact that some series you like has a million characters doesn't mean it's a bad series.

survivor

Banned

Oh Planetes is on there?

"looks at list"

Yeah this is pretty pointless. Just list any anime/manga that are about group of people traveling or uses different cast of characters each arc and you will be there. Worst offender has to be Summer Wars

Angry Grimace

Oh Planetes is on there?

"looks at list"

Yeah this is pretty pointless. Just list any anime/manga that are about group of people traveling or uses different cast of characters each arc and you will be there. Worst offender has to be Summer Wars

Except it's not a list of bad series. It's a list of series with a lot of characters.

It sounds like you don't want your pet series from appearing on a trope page at all, on the grounds that using storytelling tropes = bad, but it's basically impossible: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/CitizenKane

gunbo13

Again, the fact that one series has a million characters and another series has a billion characters doesn't mean that only one of the series has too many characters.
Then there should be two trope articles.

Loads and Loads of Characters
Loads and Loads and Shitloads of Characters Which Mostly Suck

Oh and I don't even know what you guys were discussing. I just can't stand when that trope is in use like it is a fun gimmick to have way too many characters with zero development and no redeeming qualities. I also think it is lazy writing at times and new characters are introduced due to the inability of fleshing out the current batch.
I'm not saying it's bad, I just disagree with their criteria of loads and loads of characters.
Pretty much.

Angry Grimace

Then there should be two trope articles.

Loads and Loads of Characters
Loads and Loads and Shitloads of Characters Which Mostly Suck

Oh and I don't even know what you guys were discussing. I just can't stand when that trope is in use like it is a fun gimmick to have way too many characters with zero development and no redeeming qualities. I also think it is lazy writing at times and new characters are introduced due to the inability of fleshing out the current batch.

Pretty much.

I don't think you entirely understand how they are listing tropes. At least theoretically, it's not supposed to be listing value judgments, just whether the series has a lot of characters. Naruto legitimately has loads and loads of characters. I don't really see how you can dispute that. The fact that it's run for 10 years doesn't have anything to do with the fact I don't know who Muu or "the Second Mizukage" are.

gunbo13

I was joking (per usual, you should know better by now).

But there is still definitely a disparity. A trope is supposed to fit a type of "what series makes you think of ____." And there is no way Planetes makes me think of "Loads and Loads of Characters." Monster also really sticks out to me as being an odd choice. Summer Wars as well since it is a fucking family gathering...

Bleach

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and WTF at Aizen one billion. Does Kubo only know how to draw like 5 different faces for men? That's ridiculous, he look completely identical except for his hair color. I did enjoy watching that one arancar girl get impaled, those three-especially that specific one, always really annoyed me. Well, this is only the second time seeing her but she was obnoxious during that Aizen arc too. This fight just feels like an unnecessary waste of time to stall and prolong the arc. Just let Ichigo waste the guy already (after showing his angelic powers).

Naruto

As a self contained chapter, this was entertaining to me as Izunami is a pretty cool power with a definite draw back (which explains why it's not spammed every fight) and the whole chapter centered around the conclusion of this fight...finally. Going outside that, the fight as a whole was wasted potential as Sasuke didn't really do jack shit. What was the point of teaming them up? If I didn't like Kabuto alright this would have been a complete shit fight which I imagine it was for some of you. I enjoyed some of Kabuto's abilities and have always been somewhat interested in his background ever since the chuunin exam. So although it kind of stalled frequently and wasn't a proper quality fight, I still found most of the chapters interesting in some capacity either from abilities or information. No thanks on the Itachi preaching bull shit though. You're not turning Kabuto at this point. Pretty goofy concept to see a zombie lose vision (outside of having his eye physically removed). I'm burnt out on this fight and am disappointed with it (outside of learning about Kabuto and his abilities) so I'm glad it's over. Let's get back to Naruto! I hope the Sasuke and Itachi conversation doesn't consume multiple chapters...

One Piece

DAT ENDING! Fuck yeah! The prospect of Luffy teaming up with Law against a Warlord is just the kind of stuff I hoped for in the NW! I know it's a means to surviving and conquering in the NW for Law, but I still think he has a fondness and respect for Luffy and that's a really enjoyable aspect for me. Love the Thank You Fire attack, perfect balance of humor and tactical sense. I've been tired of the body switch for the past few chapters so hopefully that gets resolved now that Law wants to team up. As for their target, it can be anyone whether introduced or not because it's Law's agenda. He can bring Luffy up to speed and tell him why he's targeting this person so I don't think that unknown Warlord is off the table. It's got to be him or Big Mom. I would have said BM but Luffy does have his own feud with her and this is Law's battle plan so not sure how likely it is that she's being targeted this early. BB is late game and it doesn't make any sense that Shanks would be targeted before a few of the other War lords. I doubt he's as oppressive. Glad the Yeti Brothers were quickly dispatched, they were unworthy scrubs the second it became apparent that they resort to guns. The special bullets made for interesting minion fare but they aren't worthy of a SH fight. I wonder if they are really done for though as we didn't get to see their true appearance and they kept making reference to staying hidden and not revealing themselves. If Luffy and Law come to an accord quickly, they're probably out of the picture.

Reborn

Finally! We are at last going to get some serious information on the Arcebelano curse. The whole reason I was hyped for this arc. Didn't think it would come from the Vindice rather than Checker Mask though. Interested in Bermuda, how did he not have a presence in the future arc? They made a pretty big issue of collecting all the pacifiers... Is this just a big plot hole in the series? I guess we'll find out soon enough and this is the first time I've been excited for the next Reborn chapter in quite some time.

Fairy Tail

Lolz at Natsu challenging the Master of Sabertooth. Genma or whatever isn't an arc villain so not sure Natsu will get his ultra ass-pull ability to win the fight here. Best he can hope for is to earn Genma's respect by his stamina and perseverance/determination.

Anagle Mole

I fuckin called it! Kyousuke has a majinagram now! And it's a rather fitting one too. I think this might be bring him up to co-protagonist what with the title of the manga and all.

flawfuls

MW

Well now, this is probably the darkest and uneasiest Manga I've read by Osamu Tezuka.

At least it isn't this!

ne8co.jpg

Aphorism

Ahahaha. Other Rokudo just keeps on one-shotting people hyped up to be strong villains.

And is normal Rokudo's power basically materialization now? If so, that could be broken as hell if used right.

survivor

Banned
A Bride's Story

All caught up now. This was a great ride and really enjoyable read. The art is amazing and the attention to details is great. Really loved the feast they had and seeing all this food made me too hungry. The twins arc was the best one so far, they are really amazing characters

The boot camp chapter was the best. Begins with a comedic tone and seeing the twins struggle at simple house duties and exercises and then it gets all sad when their mother says goodbye to them. So great
mbvRB.jpg

Kreed

Mx0 1-99:

I just finished reading this whole series. I knew the series was canceled from other posts in the past manga threads, but I really wanted to read it and see if it lived up to all the "cancellation complaints". The series was a great read but I probably should have stopped reading at around chapter 96 and just imagined that the rest of the series hadn't been translated yet.

I am shocked that this series got cancelled considering how well done it was for a shounen series. Double Arts and Psyren were one thing as they both hit "spots" where you knew ratings were going to dip (even if Double Arts picked up in the last couple of chapters). But this series was very consistent quality wise and always had action going on. Plus the magic school theme seems like something that would be a hit for younger Jump readers. It would have been nice to see how Kuzumi used that black plate though.

Articalys

Dohohohoho
In an author's comment in the 38th and final manga volume of Ken Akamatsu's Negima! Magister Negi Magi! manga, Akamatsu writes that the series is done "for now," specifically noting that the phrase "for now" leaves open the possibility of a future revival of the series.

He then goes on to say that "To put it like Chao, the ending in this volume is only one from a number of different parallel worlds," and that his series still has enough hidden mysteries in it to easily last 100 volumes. Akamatsu's comment ends by telling readers that if, in the future, they see a new episode of Negima, it would make him happy if they picked it up.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
NARUTO

Emmm... ok....?

BLEACH

And thus the typical Bleach pattern is reborn.

ONE PIECE

The fighting scenes are a bit.... too chaotic. But the art is as good as always though.

BEELZEBUB

NOTHING happens *sigh*

AKB49

Oh yeah, still awesome.

Reborn

Finally! We are at last going to get some serious information on the Arcebelano curse. The whole reason I was hyped for this arc. Didn't think it would come from the Vindice rather than Checker Mask though. Interested in Bermuda, how did he not have a presence in the future arc? They made a pretty big issue of collecting all the pacifiers... Is this just a big plot hole in the series? I guess we'll find out soon enough and this is the first time I've been excited for the next Reborn chapter in quite some time.

Wouldnt that have ruined the 7^3 policy? Since he's separate from everyone he probably ended up perishing or something.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Aphorism

Ahahaha. Other Rokudo just keeps on one-shotting people hyped up to be strong villains.

And is normal Rokudo's power basically materialization now? If so, that could be broken as hell if used right.

I think it was the old man that told him about it.

Is anyone else reading akame ga kill since the new chapters got up? The story should move along once we get past two more character interaction chapters.

soc

I think it was the old man that told him about it.

Wasn't it that Uruma librarian guy from a couple of chapters ago? If you look carefully, it's actually Rokudou changing stuff at a distance as opposed to making things appear.
Anyway, I don't think I enjoy Aphorism as much when it's Rokudou (big) just killing stuff.

I wonder what was up with Hirosue. There some foreshadowing about his power back in the Tomonaga arc, and they haven't even shown his character yet. Same with Hinata's secret weapon, unless it was the poison/seal in this chapter.

upandaway

Anagle Mole

IT'S A MOLE HE'S A MOLE IT'S A MOLE OH GOD MOLE

hahahaha

I love this

the best power

Anagle Mole

I fuckin called it! Kyousuke has a majinagram now! And it's a rather fitting one too. I think this might be bring him up to co-protagonist what with the title of the manga and all.
Not only that, but see how his Majinagram and Luchiru's fit together. They're the embodiment of combo-able powers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Izanami seems worse than Izanagi actually, because it works on specific targets rather than themselves.

Averon

I hope they expand more on Izanami's mechanics in the next chapter because, with how Itachi used it, it seems like it functions like an unavoidable Tsukiyomi.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Holyland 180

Oh wow, this manga seems to be going for a really epic and manly ending after so many chapters of kamishiro's lameass introspection, and actually showcases some pretty great character developement.

Holyland 181-182

Wait, seriously, is this how you want to end kamishiro's story? Urgh.

Kamishiro gets stabbed by some random ass fucking guy for some random ass fucking reason, then at 182 we see everyone else moving on to better lives, and then kamishiro turns into some bullshit guardian of "the streets" and then make his death ambiguous at the very end? Is this really how it's going to end? Seriously?

Also I find it weird whenever the author inserts himself into the story.

The ending could have been so much better. Then he tacked on bullshit.

Naruto

So Izanami trades one of the users eyes to trap someone in a repeating genjutsu that can never be overcome unless Itachi gets killed which he can't because he regenerates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom