• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I must have missed the part where Chihiro and Keima had a wedding ceremony. I think you're confusing her with the real winner.
Ayumi is now part of the Goddess pantheon, she is of no more use to Keima.

The only two people who came out of this arc with any real genuine progress in their relationship is Keima and Chihiro.

upandaway

Holyland: 160-182

That was worth reading I think. I'm disappointed it never "graduated" to pro fighting, but I think this was a proper way to let it end. I sorta wish the author didn't include a "epilogue" chapter though. Many probably would have found the ending frustrating without it, but I like endings that leave the outcomes to the reader's imagination (and furious arguments on internet message boards).
I think the open-ness of the ending sort of relied on the epilogue (because of all the hints to what ended up not true).

In both cases I would be equally confused so I don't really invest all of my intellectual shares in it. It was a
happy
ending and that's all that matters.

Holyland

Before I continue reading the 4th chapter, when does the MC become tolerable? Cause right now I just want to punch that weakling whiny kid.
The last chapter (or, well, you might still hate him in the last chapter, but for an entirely different reason)

All I can say is man, be as furious as you can in your panel skipping (hahaha) and get to those fights, because they're amazing.

El Sloth

Banned
TWGOK

A whole chapter dedicated to the Best Girl™. And with character growth!

You will see the light eventually, Ignis. You'll understand that your false idol is nothing more than exactly that.

Esch

Banned
Toriko

Komatsu gets
fucked up again
jesus christ, this happens every two arcs. Honestly they might as well just stop doing this or give him gourmet cells or armor or something because its really an old plot device.

Really looking forward to a new Full Course item arc because the Bishokukai are just boring.

Tobe

dammit im in such a withdrawal from prince of tennis and baby steps, nobody has released anything in a longs time :(

Toriko

Komatsu gets
fucked up again
jesus christ, this happens every two arcs. Honestly they might as well just stop doing this or give him gourmet cells or armor or something because its really an old plot device.

Well the guy has his own intimidation thanks to the knife, so hopefully something comes out of that.

Holyland END

Nice ending, I would get mad if
Kamashiro was killed by some random dude

Fights were really good and detailed and MC was a pain in the ass.

I never got used to the human faces they were so weird for me.

Articalys

TWGOK

So after nearly 100 chapters (though only really becoming the main focus about 70 ago), the search for the goddesses is finally (almost) over. Will refrain from commenting further until things truly wrap up next week.

Wiseblade

Fairy Tail

That was almost cool. Does this mean I'm turning into... DTL?

*shudder*

Ippo

I thought for sure things would turn around when the guy cussed Aoki's girlfriend. This really would be the worst note for the two to retire on.

TWGOK

Chihiro fans must be going nuts right now.

El Sloth

Banned
The guy who is starting Holyland should just skip this entire post.
Holyland (end)

The last couple fights were just as good as all the others. Dunno about Izawa vs Yuu.

As for the plot, well, it was plot. No clue why Yuu didn't go pro, or why no one recognizes him despite him still being active. I'm kinda lost on the whole ending to be honest.

Also, wasn't the big deal with the drugs that they were legal? When did they suddenly become illegal? Did I just entirely forget that happened?

Oh well, stuff, and also sometimes things. But the fights were so damn good in this manga.
I feel the same about Izawa v Yuu. It was just sorta "meh". Like, "these two guys are so awesome that unfortunately no cool stuff can happen and it will be kinda boring. But character growth!

Sorry, I'll make it quick."

As for the plot: I
n the end after Yuu got stabbed by that kid who was similar to how was made me think that Yuu probably chose to stay on the streets probably in a social worker role or at a Gym/Dojo. Teaching kids to protect themselves and all that stuff.

I like my friends suggestion that he just turned into a manbaby and decided to never grow up instead beating thugs up for their lunch money lol.

They never mentioned the drugs becoming illegal? Are you talking about Shougo being in juvy? Pretty sure that was just for assault and causing grievous bodily harm.

It did bother me that he introduced that detective dude again saying, "I'll get that Thug Hunter!" and then nothing.
I think the open-ness of the ending sort of relied on the epilogue (because of all the hints to what ended up not true).

In both cases I would be equally confused so I don't really invest all of my intellectual shares in it. It was a
happy
ending and that's all that matters.
That's true. But it's like you say, the real appeal of this comic was never the actual plot so in the end it doesn't really matter.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
im starting to read toriko, and i must say, its a pleasent suprise. the scope of the the world feels fucking huge in that one piece sense. and the main character is awesome. some of the villains have showed up, and other than the bug dude, dont really do it for me. i really wouldne mind if the series was about hunting dangerous ingredients.

upandaway

The guy who is starting Holyland should just skip this entire post.

They never mentioned the drugs becoming illegal? Are you talking about Shougo being in juvy? Pretty sure that was just for assault and causing grievous bodily harm.
But they also talked about how they found illegal drug residue/whatever in his urine, and the reason why they never confessed about the kidnapping was because they didn't want the police checking her for the drugs (despite the fact they could just tell the police she was knocked out and forcibly fed them).

Then there's also Shougou doing 3 years, on what, a street fight which was half self defense? That's what sealed the deal for me that the drugs were illegal after all. I had to do a double take, like, "what. Wait, what."

im starting to read toriko, and i must say, its a pleasent suprise. the scope of the the world feels fucking huge in that one piece sense. and the main character is awesome. some of the villains have showed up, and other than the bug dude, dont really do it for me. i really wouldne mind if the series was about hunting dangerous ingredients.

Isnt that what he is doing in each arc though? Getting that one dangerous ingredient, Century Soup, etc?

El Sloth

Banned
But they also talked about how they found illegal drug residue/whatever in his urine, and the reason why they never confessed about the kidnapping was because they didn't want the police checking her for the drugs (despite the fact they could just tell the police she was knocked out and forcibly fed them).

Then there's also Shougou doing 3 years, on what, a street fight which was half self defense? That's what sealed the deal for me that the drugs were illegal after all. I had to do a double take, like, "what. Wait, what."
The drugs could be technically legal to sell, but illegal to consume? I don't know.

Insert convenient plot here:

survivor

Banned
Holyland vol 1-3

Yuu sucks so much. Like not only is he a whiny kid, he is somehow strong just cause he practised punching at his house and somehow his frail body can take on so much shit. Remove him from the manga and make Midorikawa and Masaki the main characters and you got yourself a decent manga about high school kids who think that fighting in the streets like wild animals is the way to have a life and a future.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
TWGOK Catch up

Chihiro is still best girl

Haqua is best demon

Arcana Famiglia

I decided to check this out because it's getting an anime this summer; dumb as hell premise, characters look good so far though.

Fairy Tail

Man, Natsu came in there and walked out like a boss. I definitely didn't expect that. Gemma is far stronger, but he most assuredly underestimated Natsu's strength. He was thinking it was gonna be some DBZ "I stand there and the punches bounce off" shit right up until he got gut-checked. XD

He even had the "Huh?!" shocked face and sound effects at how much Natsu was able to throw at him. He might not have merely shrugged off that Lightning attack if it had actually landed.

gunbo13

BLOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Retcon:
My DMC play was also on Cacpcom's DmC facebook today. I always share with mangaf.

survivor

Banned
BLOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDLLLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Retcon:
My DMC play was also on Cacpcom's DmC facebook today. I always share with mangaf.

You are a good RSS feed

Blood Lad

If Staz was a main character in a bad manga, he would have gotten embarrassed and fainted. Good thing he isn't.

El Sloth

Banned
So, what's the deal with Natsu's lightning?

It's a permanent thing now? Does he have the lachyrma (or however the fuck you spell it) inside his body that Laxus did? Or just a part of it?

Scum

Chiffon!

darth_vader_nooo1.jpeg

Kreed

Holyland 160-182 (End):

Nothing ruins a great manga reading experience better than a bad ending. Everything was going great until that random Kamishiro stabbing and Kamishiro becoming a "street phantom" while everyone else moves on with their lives. But I guess I prefer that over a random death ending like the author was trying to fool us with. Still, it was just one chapter vs an otherwise great series, minus the dip in art quality the series took over the years. Guess I'll have to look for a Holyland replacement now.

El Sloth

Banned
Holyland 160-182 (End):

Nothing ruins a great manga reading experience better than a bad ending. Everything was going great until that random Kamishiro stabbing and Kamishiro becoming a "street phantom" while everyone else moves on with their lives. But I guess I prefer that over a random death ending like the author was trying to fool us with. Still, it was just one chapter vs an otherwise great series, minus the dip in art quality the series took over the years. Guess I'll have to look for a Holyland replacement now.
I guess Teppu would be the next best thing. It takes fucking forever to get translated though.

survivor

Banned
Holyland vol 4-5

Finally, it's about time seeing Yuu get his ass handed to him. Dude was getting too crazy and dumb taking this revenge bullshit way too far. I was hoping that the yakuza would get involved and off him but then the manga can't continue without our whiny protagonist.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
There's also Yawara! as far as realistic martial arts go, but it is pretty different from holyland.

From the same author as Happy! and Monster, if you can believe it. :p

Holyland vol 4-5

Finally, it's about time seeing Yuu get his ass handed to him. Dude was getting too crazy and dumb taking this revenge bullshit way too far. I was hoping that the yakuza would get involved and off him but then the manga can't continue without our whiny protagonist.

Eh, he gets better.

I get the hate for the MC but I dunno, I like him. He was a kid who was bullied to the point of attempted suicide and it makes sense that his personality is so meek, and it's kind of enjoyable watching him working his way out of that hole.

survivor

Banned
Oooohhh, first 6 chapters of Punpun 10 are out. Can't wait until tomorrow when the whole volume is translated.

Eh, he gets better.

I get the hate for the MC but I dunno, I like him. He was a kid who was bullied to the point of attempted suicide and it makes sense that his personality is so meek, and it's kind of enjoyable watching him working his way out of that hole.

Well he was getting better then he went crazy with the whole revenge thing

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
AKIRA

yotsuba_awesome_1.jpg

Read 4 volumes so far.... mightily impressive. Not much of a fan of the author's style in terms of characters drawing but the story is highly engaging and by God the background drawings are incredible.... Makes you wonder just how come something like Bleach can ever be produced.

DETECTIVE CONAN

Decided to give this series a reread and continued where I left off many, many years ago... but holy shit 75 volumes????????

no_wai.jpg

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
If we're talking martial arts manga then check out All-Rounder Meguru.

Speaking of MA manga, I happened across a Japanese Jump ages back that had the name Karate in English. Had some kabuki looking guy. (Searching for this is how I happened across Karate blah blah blah Minoru.) What was this?

Along those lines there was another manga featured that had a guy in a Hawaiian shirt who got arrested by the cops. He asked to go to the bathroom and ultimately beat up the cops and escaped the station by emerging from the stall with a mound of poo in his hands that he mashed in their faces (as a distraction) before he KO'ed them. What the hell was this manga?

survivor

Banned
Goodnight Punpun vol 10

So many emotions going on in my head. The ending of this fucking volume. My god, the ending. It was raining :(

Punpun went with Aiko who did not have any good life like was hinted at from previous volume. Poor girl living at that deadbeat job with shitty mom. And then the sex scene :( But then Punpun ditching Sachi :( :( :(

And yeah from the preview, manga is definitely ending next volume.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Punpun went with Aiko who did not have any good life like was hinted at from previous volume. Poor girl living at that deadbeat job with shitty mom. And then the sex scene :( But then Punpun ditching Sachi :( :( :(
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

neoanarch

Blood Lad, Holyland, Punpun

How about you stagger your releases you damn scanners.

I did forget how seriously entertaining and well written Blood Lad is.

survivor

Banned
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

Hero knows what's up
if9LC.png

Don't see the reason why Demon Queen had to go back to the demon world. Sure visit the grave or whatever but feels like a half assed reason. I really have a bad feeling that Gateway city won't stay like this for a long time. The people on top are dickheads and I have a feeling they will want to retake the city quickly.

So, what's the deal with Natsu's lightning?

It's a permanent thing now? Does he have the lachyrma (or however the fuck you spell it) inside his body that Laxus did? Or just a part of it?

When Laxus gave him his power to smoke that Hades guy, it seems to have stayed within him in part. Basically it was a stealth permanent powerup that people thought would be temporary like most powerups in Fairy Tail but it wasn't.

Medaka Box

So the reason Medaka hasn't simply taken Zenkichi up to her room and banged his brains out years ago is because she thinks he doesn't love her based on being rejected for marriage by him when they were 2 years old?

Oh wow. Wow. XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom