• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khezu

Wow, this fight is seriously the lowest point in the entire manga for me.

Also since itachi is explaining everything I really wished he would have said why izanagi requires senju DNA and izanami doesn't, other then inzanami sucking ass and not worth casting ever, except for this one specific time. Also the way the spoiler reads it kinda sounds like something you use on yourself to find your own path in the world, like a native american spirit journey or something, probably not worth losing an eye for though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
"Izanami is used in opposition to Izanagi."

Wat I didn't even realize these were separate things, I always assumed that the same word was being used. This is some hardcore weeaboo shit.

What exactly does "weeaboo" mean to you?

"Izanami is used in opposition to Izanagi."

Wat I didn't even realize these were separate things, I always assumed that the same word was being used. This is some hardcore weeaboo shit.

Unless your trolling they are both parts of Japanese mythology just like allot of other Sharingan moves .
This is a Japanese comic after all.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Clearly, having the most basic knowledge of japanese mythology is "hardcore weeaboo shit".

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/weeaboo - "Weeaboo is an English slang used to describe a person (typically of non-Asian descent) who prefers Japan and all things in Japanese over one’s indigenous culture. The term is a successive mutation of “Wapanese,” a derogatory slur referring to western Japanophiles with a strong bias towards Japanese cultural and tech imports."

I mean, given that Masashi Kishimoto is a Japanese-speaking Japanese person living in Japan and writing a series for Japanese-speaking Japanese people living in Japan, he would be immune to being critcised for his obsession with Japanese culture.

Averon

What's ridiculous isn't that Izanami is unavoidable, it's that the nature of it--that you have to accept who you are to break the loop--is an absolutely perfect counter to Kabuto given his back story, which Itachi couldn't have knowledge about. It's way too convenient and smacks of laziness.

Big One

Banned
What exactly does "weeaboo" mean to you?
It means when translators do not translate words they should translate just to stay "pure" and "Japanese." Super Eye Power Jutsu is instantly more recognizable than Izanaki-desu Jutsu. I mean unless Naruto starts having very distinct Japanese names, it's very difficult to really tell the difference between names the sound similar.

Erigu

It means when translators do not translate words they should translate just to stay "pure" and "Japanese."
Kinda hard to translate names though.

What's ridiculous isn't that Izanami is unavoidable, it's that the nature of it--that you have to accept who you are to break the loop--is an absolutely perfect counter to Kabuto given his back story, which Itachi couldn't have knowledge about. It' way too convenient and smacks of laziness.
Par for the course...

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It means when translators do not translate words they should translate just to stay "pure" and "Japanese." Super Eye Power Jutsu is instantly more recognizable than Izanaki-desu Jutsu. I mean unless Naruto starts having very distinct Japanese names, it's very difficult to really tell the difference between names the sound similar.

You can't be serious.

Khezu

Can't really translate those two though, there named after japanese gods, like the black fire attack, mind control crow that was shoved into narutos throat, super genjustsu attack, and the thing that lets sasuke control his black fire.

Sai

It means when translators do not translate words they should translate just to stay "pure" and "Japanese."
Izanagi = "Forefather God"?

Susanoo = "He with the ability to help by all means"?

Can't even remember what Izanami was in literal english, but it was just as ridiculous.

What's ridiculous isn't that Izanami is unavoidable, it's that the nature of it--that you have to accept who you are to break the loop--is an absolutely perfect counter to Kabuto given his back story, which Itachi couldn't have knowledge about. It' way too convenient and smacks of laziness.
Rather, it seems to be the condition Itachi specified.

Angry Grimace

That isn't what weeaboo means (see above), and Izanami and Izanagi are proper names (which are intentionally similar because the myth that they are referencing refers to a brother and sister). It's like saying they should have called Nagato "Steve" on the grounds that it's too similar to Naruto.

Izanagi = "Forefather God"?
Susanoo = "He with the ability to help by all means"?
Can't even remember what Izanami was in literal english, but it was just as ridiculous.
Rather, it seems to be the condition Itachi specified.

Yep the Sharingan most powerfully moves would make no sense when you translate or they just to long .
Plus they are name of Gods and you don't normally translate certain names depending on the context and i would say this is one of them .

Big One

Banned
I don't even understand why the attack names have to be names of Japanese gods. In context it makes no sense. I guess Kishi has to remind us that Naruto is still really about ninja, who are Japanese or some shit like that. You got random reference to ramen in Naruto's name, Sasuke is named after a famous ninja, and then you got this shit; no real relation to each other than they are Japanese. Maybe the names would make more sense to me if there was something actually interesting going on.

Fact: Kishimoto is a home-grown weeaboo.

Angry Grimace

Yep the Sharingan most powerfully moves would make no sense when you translate or they just to long .
Plus they are name of Gods and you don't normally translate certain names depending on the context and i would say this is one of them .

Because I'm a helper:

Izanagi (イザナギ?, recorded in the Kojiki as 伊邪那岐 and in the Nihon Shoki as 伊弉諾) is a deity born of the seven divine generations in Japanese mythology and Shinto, and is also referred to in the roughly translated Kojiki as "male-who-invites" or Izanagi-no-mikoto. It is also pronounced Izanagi-no-Okami. He with his spouse and younger sister, Izanami, bore many islands, deities and forefathers of Japan. When Izanami died in childbirth, Izanagi tried (but failed) to retrieve her from Yomi (the underworld). In the cleansing rite after his return, he begot Amaterasu (the sun goddess) from his left eye, Tsukuyomi (the moon god) from his right eye and Susanoo (tempest or storm god) from his nose.

I'm sorry, but it's pretty ridiculous to argue that the translators should translate proper names into american equivalents because its too hard to read seven letter words properly.

I don't even understand why the attack names have to be names of Japanese gods. In context it makes no sense. I guess Kishi has to remind us that Naruto is still really about ninja, who are Japanese or some shit like that. You got random reference to ramen in Naruto's name, Sasuke is named after a famous ninja, and then you got this shit; no real relation to each other than they are Japanese. Maybe the names would make more sense to me if there was something actually interesting going on.

Yeah, why are those Japanese people so damn Japanese?! Someone should write them a letter.

Give up now, you're just digging deeper.

Kusagari

Wow Izanami is even dumber than anyone dreamed. It's basically useless unless you're fighting someone like Kabuto. What a coincidence that Itachi pulls it out of his ass for him!

Just end this shit already. My main interest at this point is in seeing if Madara somehow stays active after Edo Tensei is dispelled.

I am no big Naruto fan but what you said makes no sense .
It's a Japanese comic for Japanese people , naming them after Japanese Gods shows how strong they are nothing wrong with that .

Angry Grimace

I... I am not sure he is being serious there.

I mean... he can't be.

I think..... he is just *trying* to be funny.

He's used the term "weeaboo" to describe that same sort of thing several times, so I don't think so. Strangely enough, he hasn't yet complained about all the "nakama" in One Piece.

Kusagari

Bleach spoilers if anyone is interested:

More boring fighting with Allon, the Quincy Nazi, Ichigo and the Halibabes. And then at the end of the chapter Buckbeard appears before the new Aizen lookalike and those dudes he was talking to.

Big One

Banned
Yeah, why are those Japanese people so damn Japanese?! Someone should write them a letter.

Give up now, you're just digging deeper.
Umm not really, it would be just as stupid if an American did it.

Let's say there was an American comic about the Civil War and the main character was named Hamburger Helper (Naruto) as it's a reference to American food. Along the way he meets his best friend named Clint Eastwood (Sasuke) in reference to cowboy movies taking place in the Civil War. Clint Eastwood gains an magical attack called Jesus Christ (Izanagi) that allows him to do amazing crazy shit, and is also a reference to American's number 1 religion.

Angry Grimace

Umm not really, it would be just as stupid if an American did it.

Let's say there was an American comic about the Civil War and the main character was named Hamburger Helper (Naruto) as it's a reference to American food. Along the way he meets his best friend named Clint Eastwood (Sasuke) in reference to cowboy movies taking place in the Civil War. Clint Eastwood gains an magical attack called Jesus Christ (Izanagi) that allows him to do amazing crazy shit, and is also a reference to American's number 1 religion.

Now you're just trolling to cover up your mistake.

Seems Big One has lost it .

No mistake here, I didn't know it was a name of a god, but it's still freaking stupid and dumb. I just assumed it was random Japanese cause EVERY SCANLATOR leaves it untranslated, usually in every other manga.

As i said before depending on the context you don't translate names this is how it has always been done .

Angry Grimace

That implies he had it at one point! :p

He's just being intentionally dense now so he can say it's a joke later ("Couldn't you guys get that I was being sarcastic?! It was so obvious!"), but based on his previous comments about "weeaboo shit," I'm fairly certain he was being serious before he realized it was a pretty dumb complaint.

Big One

Banned
I don't consider it a mistake because you shouldn't need to know the backstory of something to truly know what it means in the first place. If it was explained in the manga, that would've been cool and fine as it makes a clear distinction to the reader what it means (which can even be done via scanlations). Saying it's weeaboo shit is not only the correct reaction to seeing that, but it's the most natural one. I assume this was the case because I'm bitter at the state of fantranslations in anime/manga leaving things unnecessary untranslated just to be stupid weeaboo fucks.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I don't consider it a mistake because you shouldn't need to know the backstory of something to truly know what it means in the first place. If it was explained in the manga, that would've been cool and fine as it makes a clear distinction to the reader what it means (which can even be done via scanlations). Saying it's weeaboo shit is not only the correct reaction to seeing that, but it's the most natural one. I assume this was the case because I'm bitter at the state of fantranslations in anime/manga leaving things unnecessary untranslated just to be stupid weeaboo fucks.

Do you know who Thor is? Jupiter? Zeus? Do you know the whole "backstories" of them?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Holy shit Oda is a stupid weeabo fuck.

One_Piece_True_Nakama_by_Lukiki_chan.jpg

78457825.jpg

543056_014_super.jpg

zoro_asura.jpg

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yes, but you shouldn't have to know who Thor, Jupiter, and Zeus is. Not to mention those are taught commonly in school curriculum in America while Asian mythology usually isn't.

....I don't really think there's much point in continuing this. Let's just get rid of all references everywhere, because people shouldn't have to know anything at all.

Angry Grimace

That complaint is no different than the above summary of your complaints as "why do those Japanese people have to be so Japanese?!" You're criticizing the Japanese people for having a specific narrative convention in their culture on the grounds that those conventions don't exist in English.

....I don't really think there's much point in continuing this. Let's just get rid of all references everywhere, because people shouldn't have to know anything at all.
All I'll say is that he doesn't post at all when you don't bite. Where do you think he went the last few weeks?

Yes, but you shouldn't have to know who Thor, Jupiter, and Zeus is. Not to mention those are taught commonly in school curriculum in America while Asian mythology usually isn't.

Come on now Naruto is a Japanese comic made for Japanese people .
You miss whole bunch of stuff if your not Japanese because your can't translate them or when you do certain things get lost in translations.

Big One

Banned
You're still not getting the bigger picture here, there just needs to be names that people can understand worldwide. A name like "Super Punch" can be translated into every language int he world. A name like Inazagi or whatever the fuck it's called can't. Yes I made the mistake of not realizing it was an actual name of an actual deity (I dunno SHIT about Japanese mythology), however assuming it was scanlators being weeaboo shits like in those above One Piece pictures Laughing Banana so nicely posted, shouldn't be scrutinized or questioned whatsoever. It's interesting that the name actually means something that can't really be translated, but it doesn't stop it from being stupid.

Angry Grimace

You're still not getting the bigger picture here, there just needs to be names that people can understand worldwide. A name like "Super Punch" can be translated into every language int he world. A name like Inazagi or whatever the fuck it's called can't. Yes I made the mistake of not realizing it was an actual name of an actual deity (I dunno SHIT about Japanese mythology), however assuming it was scanlators being weeaboo shits like in those above One Piece pictures Laughing Banana so nicely posted, shouldn't be scrutinized or questioned whatsoever. It's interesting that the name actually means something that can't really be translated, but it doesn't stop it from being stupid.
Well, I mean, it doesn't even matter what the names are. It doesn't make any difference whether you understand the reference or not.

Zeppu

I hate how all American cartoons expect me to know and give a shit about George Washington, Paul Revere and whoever the fuck else supposedly did shit in America. Fucking american-versions-of-weeaboos.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Tell me again why Kishimoto should care about making names that can be translated into any language in the world, when he's writing a japanese manga for a japanese audience using japanese stylistic choices?

Also, bolded line doesn't make sense to me, are you saying that we shouldn't call you out on your false assumptions?

All I'll say is that he doesn't post at all when you don't bite. Where do you think he went the last few weeks?

Sometimes the bait is just too tempting. :(

Erigu

I don't consider it a mistake because you shouldn't need to know the backstory of something to truly know what it means in the first place.
And clearly, not knowing about the mythological Izanami and Izanagi is a huge barrier when reading Naruto. How else would you know that... Er... I mean... How would you understand that... Well, you know!

You're still not getting the bigger picture here, there just needs to be names that people can understand worldwide.
How surprising and disturbing that there would be some Japanese flavor in a manga about ninja. I mean, spies.

Angry Grimace

Tell me again why Kishimoto should care about making names that can be translated into any language in the world, when he's writing a japanese manga for a japanese audience using japanese stylistic choices?

Also, bolded line doesn't make sense to me, are you saying that we shouldn't call you out on your false assumptions?

Sometimes the bait is just too tempting. :(

True enough, I'm not even following my own advice, but I think it's because I can't shake that weird feeling he really means it just because he's said some totally crazy things before.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Goddamnit Angry Grimace, I don't know how you can do it man. Mad props to you.

Anyways, let us just skip this whole discussion on the basis of two major points: what's the point? and I don't want to see unbelievably stupid argument clogging up the thread.

Come on guys, just skip it.

Yep he seems to be missing the point that it's a Japanese comic and the authors don't have to give a fuck if certain things don't translate or when they translate lose meaning .

Big One

Banned

No, I'm saying that the main hatred against it's use isn't really faulty. The only reason I ever even complained about it isn't because of the names themselves, but because I'm tired of scanlators inserting their weeaboo shit into manga that doesn't need it. Naruto has fallen victim to this multiple times (just the use of "no" in the jutsu names proves this). Personally I think the reference is fine and cool, however when you're insist on me being "faulty" just because I made the correct reaction to it outside of not knowing what the names mean, I take a little offense to that.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Goddamnit Angry Grimace, I don't know how you can do it man. Mad props to you.

Anyways, let us just skip this whole discussion on the basis of two major points: what's the point? and I don't want to see unbelievably stupid argument clogging up the thread.

Come on guys, just skip it.

Good idea!

I guess I can get back on track by posting impressions of what I've read in the last day or so:

Idol Pretender

Absolutely shocked by what happened, etc.
I could tell from the very first page she was a girl.

Sensei no Bulge
Prince dying just like that made me laugh so hard, I just hope he's actually dead and not just mostly dead.

TWGOK

Chiriho is best girl
Haqua is best demon

Nisekoi

Chitoge continues to rack up those Best Girl points

Big One

Banned
And yes just to go on record I was being sarcastic about Kishimoto being a homegrown weeaboo, it was a joke on how random the Japanese references are in Naruto as that's usually stuff weeaboo kids think of when they think of Japan. My main target was always about the scanlation community.

Angry Grimace

No, I'm saying that the main hatred against it's use isn't really faulty. The only reason I ever even complained about it isn't because of the names themselves, but because I'm tired of scanlators inserting their weeaboo shit into manga that doesn't need it. Naruto has fallen victim to this multiple times (just the use of "no" in the jutsu names proves this). Personally I think the reference is fine and cool, however when you're insist on me being "faulty" just because I made the correct reaction to it outside of not knowing what the names mean, I take a little offense to that.
Man, this is a seriously bizarre, surreal post and conversation, really.

And yes just to go on record I was being sarcastic about Kishimoto being a homegrown weeaboo, it was a joke on how random the Japanese references are in Naruto as that's usually stuff weeaboo kids think of when they think of Japan. My main target was always about the scanlation community.
Homer, Mr. Burns can't see you winking over the internet.

Big One

Banned
Man, this is a seriously bizarre, surreal post and conversation, really.
Well let me break it down for you...

1. I get mad and think the names are weeaboo shit
2. People tell me it isn't weaboo shit and it's actually a name of a set of Japanese deities
3. I realize that I was wrong but try to explain why I thought it was weeaboo shit
4. Everyone thinks I'm calling Kishimoto a weeaboo
5. Makes joke about Kishimoto being a weeaboo in reaction
6. Continue on the main subject of scanlators being massive weeaboos and defending my initial position
7. People still think I'm saying Kishimoto is a weeaboo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom