• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Akame ga Kill

I spoiled myself a bit.

Sadface... :(

Akame ga Kill 9

In retrospect, I should've seen this coming. Death flags were laid thick in chapter 7.

Akame ga Kill

So this is going to be like a cycle of revenge series now. Well that's definitely the opposite of the norm.

i didnt expect things to end like that though. and that chick is just as crazy as the rest of the empire, which is a little disheartening....

i didnt expect things to end like that though. and that chick is just as crazy as the rest of the empire, which is a little disheartening....

I thought that was obvious last chapter when she made that insane facial expression.

But yeah, not gonna be much moral ambiguity if everyone in the empire is a complete monster. I'm personally not rooting for anyone in this.

upandaway

Trinity Seven

Hey man, you know how we haven't explained anything to you ever, forcing you to improvise without knowing what you're doing at the risk of farting jellybean unicorns and also dying and killing everybody?

Yeah, let's just do that again. I mean, it worked before.

(Attention: the above exchange has taken place during his training)

Sensei no Bulge ch1

Hahaha man. That was a fun spin on the "rich and poor twins" trope. The guy just gets killed right there, holy shit! :lol

The two worst things that could now happen are if the prince isn't really dead, and if Astro is really the prince's twin by blood. That aside, it was really fun.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I thought that was obvious last chapter when she made that insane facial expression.

But yeah, not gonna be much moral ambiguity if everyone in the empire is a complete monster. I'm personally not rooting for anyone in this.

her face was crazy sure, but the one she made in this chapter was something outta berserk. i kinda expect the author to throw her back with the main to get a sympathetic view.

EDIT: damn, toriko is starting to feel like a harem series now.....

Dragonball 196 - 336 (Raditz arc, training arc, Namek arc, King Cold arc)

Like in the pretime skip to the z generation, I guess, the parts that occur between arcs and even much of the build up for an arc can be really slow at times.

The power levels is pretty interesting in the span of two arcs we went from people being shocked at power levels of 300-1100 ---> 2800 ---> over 5000 - over 8000 ---> 24,000 ---> 120,000 --> 530,000 ---> Over 1 million (Freeza). Which I thought was kind of shocking because the power levels really seemed to not matter since after a certain point the characters were still simply using beam blasts and super speed. Though it didn't say what Goku's Super Saiyajin form was. How did he continue after introducing an antagonist that was the strongest in the universe?

Raditz was cool though needed more time. Vegeta was hilarious then and I enjoyed seeing him turn around to being a protagonist of sorts, great development. Thus far he's my favorite fighter after Gohan, and his son (the dude from the future) is pretty cool. Hope he gets more panel time in a future arc, somehow. Gohan also needs his own arc.

Extending the powerful characters to Vegeta, Gohan, has done wonders for making the series compelling, and Im guessing this arc on androids will probably end up being the best.

Final point, I feel bad for not feeling anything about characters dying, even in universe characters are willing to die since the dragonballs can bring them back. Theres like no penalty of losing here.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dragonball 196 - 336 (Raditz arc, training arc, Namek arc, King Cold arc)

Like in the pretime skip to the z generation, I guess, the parts that occur between arcs and even much of the build up for an arc can be really slow at times.

The power levels is pretty interesting in the span of two arcs we went from people being shocked at power levels of 300-1100 ---> 2800 ---> over 5000 - over 8000 ---> 24,000 ---> 120,000 --> 530,000 ---> Over 1 million (Freeza). Which I thought was kind of shocking because the power levels really seemed to not matter since after a certain point the characters were still simply using beam blasts and super speed. Though it didn't say what Goku's Super Saiyajin form was. How did he continue after introducing an antagonist that was the strongest in the universe?

Raditz was cool though needed more time. Vegeta was hilarious then and I enjoyed seeing him turn around to being a protagonist of sorts, great development. Thus far he's my favorite fighter after Gohan, and his son (the dude from the future) is pretty cool. Hope he gets more panel time in a future arc, somehow. Gohan also needs his own arc.

Extending the powerful characters to Vegeta, Gohan, has done wonders for making the series compelling, and Im guessing this arc on androids will probably end up being the best.

Final point, I feel bad for not feeling anything about characters dying, even in universe characters are willing to die since the dragonballs can bring them back. Theres like no penalty of losing here.
They don't have power levels in terms of finite numbers beyond that point, but they invent really ridiculous nomenclature for the various forms, i.e. Super Mega Ultra Super Saiyan.

gunbo13

xBIxF.png

Hanamori needs his own series.

DBZ may be objectively bad, but there is literally no other anime that I can sit down and genuinely enjoy just about ANY episode they put on tv. It's the very definition of a guilty pleasure/mindless entertainment.

Big One

Banned
Android arc has some of the best moments in the series and some of the worst.
If you mean the final battle between Gohan and Cell, then yeah, that was cool. But the actual Android Saga was just pretty terribad. The plot didn't make any coherent sense even though it tried to be rather serious, and it was very off-tone with the style of the rest of the series. And seriously, why would Vegeta and Bulma hook up?! They never gave a real reason for that.

It was also the beginning of Yamcha, Krillin, and Tien becoming truly useless in the series as they showed no progress that the other characters have.

Zekes!

If you mean the final battle between Gohan and Cell, then yeah, that was cool. But the actual Android Saga was just pretty terribad. The plot didn't make any coherent sense even though it tried to be rather serious, and it was very off-tone with the style of the rest of the series. And seriously, why would Vegeta and Bulma hook up?! They never gave a real reason for that.

It was also the beginning of Yamcha, Krillin, and Tien becoming truly useless in the series as they showed no progress that the other characters have.

Because fuck Yamcha, that's why.

Also looking back you'd think Yamcha would end up clinically depressed or something

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
DBZ discussion? My childhood favorite anime? I've rewatched that shit like 5 times. So good.

DBZ was more than just an anime to me, though. So I don't really compare it with anything else.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Detective Conan

Does this manga ever ends? Reading this one in a marathon is a rather tiresome affair.... It's amazing how everywhere Conan goes some sort of catastrophe always immediately follows. And after so many of this I am now more often than not doesn't care anymore about the plight or touching emotional scenes of the fillers characters anymore.... just give me Conan + Haibara vs Gin + Vodka all the time, damn it!

And by God the "childhood friend" cliche is so full-force on this manga! The "idiot about love" too... *sigh*

Oh and Rikuo is still the best.

ch_310588_0.jpg

What a badass pimp.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Android arc has some of the best moments in the series and some of the worst.

Everything about it is horrible if you are the type of person who dislikes things for the sake of both disliking them and being able to tell other people that you dislike things. It's not a great narrative, but it hit a lot of notes that people of its target age would like, hence why so many people have fond memories of it despite its flaws.

Yamcha was useless even throughout most of the series, including pre-timeskip. I don't claim to remember all that much of the plot of original Dragon Ball, but I can barely remember any relevant things he did even at that point. Krillin wasn't useless. He was tappin' robot ass. I'd also say the Android arc made more sense than the Final Arc did, I never much cared for the Majin Buu stuff.

Big One

Banned
Yamcha was useless even throughout most of the series, including pre-timeskip. I don't claim to remember all that much of the plot of original Dragon Ball, but I can barely remember any relevant things he did even at that point.
Yamcha was not barely relevant. In Dragonball, he actually had abilities that kept up with speed with the other characters. This continued on till the Saiyan arc, and then was stopped in the Android arc. Yamcha, Tien, Krillin didn't even put up a fight in the Android arc whatsoever. Of course Yamcha got owned in Saiyan arc, as did Tien and Chaotzu, but the fact that they fought in comparison to NOT fighting is very significant. It shows that their role in the story is equal to other characters in the series. By Android arc, they got Tien, Yamcha, and Krillin all ready with another redesign looking badass amongst the other characters but they didn't do shit. The only one with major involvement in Android arc was Krillin, but he never really fought either.

Everything about it is horrible if you are the type of person who dislikes things for the sake of both disliking them and being able to tell other people that you dislike things. It's not a great narrative, but it hit a lot of notes that people of its target age would like, hence why so many people have fond memories of it despite its flaws.
I assume the only person here you're describing is yourself. ;)

Zekes!

DBZ discussion? My childhood favorite anime? I've rewatched that shit like 5 times. So good.

DBZ was more than just an anime to me, though. So I don't really compare it with anything else.

Dragon Ball exists on a whole different plane than most things for me. It's neither bad nor good. It just is. It's fucking Dragon Ball.

Angry Grimace

Yamcha was not barely relevant. In Dragonball, he actually had abilities that kept up with speed with the other characters. This continued on till the Saiyan arc, and then was stopped in the Android arc. Yamcha, Tien, Krillin didn't even put up a fight in the Android arc whatsoever. Of course Yamcha got owned in Saiyan arc, as did Tien and Chaotzu, but the fact that they fought in comparison to NOT fighting is very significant. It shows that their role in the story is equal to other characters in the series. By Android arc, they got Tien, Yamcha, and Krillin all ready with another redesign looking badass amongst the other characters but they didn't do shit. The only one with major involvement in Android arc was Krillin, but he never really fought either.
Edit: I mean, okay, whether they were in it or not, what does that matter? Thinking about it over again, I don't even know why I disputed it in the first place. Who cares if Yamcha was still around in the Android arc?

Big One

Banned
Why did you even make this reply? All you did was say, no, Yamcha was totally relevant, and then not provide any examples at all. Whether they were fighting or not isn't really relevant to anything, anyways. I don't get why this makes a difference.
This is where you're wrong. Dragonball is a fighting/gag manga. If a character isn't involved in some form or another in the story, he isn't relevant, which Yamcha and Tien wasn't. Krillin filled the roll of a gag character in the Android saga. Yamcha and Tien didn't have any role in the Android arc aside from in the beginning which was very minor and irrelevant.

Even characters like Bulma managed to stay more relevant than Yamcha and Tien cause they filled a good portion of the manga's story as a side character.

The 2 best things a non Saiyan did in that whole Android/Cell Arc

Tien holding off almost perfect cell like a fucking boss
Android 17 vs Piccolo aka the most equal fight in the fucking series

Shouta

The 2 best things a non Saiyan did in that whole Android/Cell Arc

Tien holding off almost perfect cell like a fucking boss
Android 17 vs Piccolo aka the most equal fight in the fucking series

If there was more of that, it would have been a lot cooler post-Freeza. It was pretty sad that characters that had some personality in their fighting styles were replaced with ones that were absolutely freaking boring. I mean the Saiyans were cool but they are the most boring characters to watch fight. Most of the really good fights come during Dragon Ball with a few coming in Z.

If there was more of that, it would have been a lot cooler post-Freeza. It was pretty sad that characters that had some personality in their fighting styles were replaced with ones that were absolutely freaking boring. I mean the Saiyans were cool but they are the most boring characters to watch fight. Most of the really good fights come during Dragon Ball with a few coming in Z.

Yea this whole thing pissed me off when i saw it happening as one of my favorite fights in all of series was the first Goku and Vegeta fight because of how fucking raw it was. Dudes beating the shit out of each other and Beam attacks that showed how powerful and draining it could be. Dragonball also had that as well (Yamacha's Wolf Fang Fist was pretty awesome also with buff Roshi doing a Kamehameha) but i watched DBZ first so my praise for DB won't be as great.

Then all of that was changed to super saiyan candy being handed over like nothing and teleport/fast fighting all over the fucking place :(

Ah DB talk reminds me of the old days , DB will always have a place in my heart even if i don't like it as much as i used to .
Saiyans were awesome for a while but then there fights got boring and got even more stupid after a while.

EDIT also Happy B day to Tess3ract

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
This is said every week, then followed by "This chapter sucks."

Is anyone actually holding out hope that Itachi and Sauce vs Kabuto + Kabuto flashbacks is going to be good from week to week?

I'm just waiting for any resolution to be dropped as focus jumps back to whatever Naruto's doing.

Zekes!

Shit, I haven't really read anything since I finished Punpun. I wanna go back to reading JoJo, but I feel burned out since I essentially marathon'd it to part 8. Maybe I'll start a new series...

Whens the big 3 coming out? It's my birthday today, i want some damn naruto.

Happy birthday homie

Big One

Banned
Ah DB talk reminds me of the old days , DB will always have a place in my heart even if i don't like it as much as i used to .
Pretty much how I feel, a lot of people already know that I have a very strong nostalgic feeling for DBZ. I LOVE it, and even made threads about how awesome it is on GAF. However despite this there are a ton of flaws in the series that makes Naruto look like A Game of Thrones in comparison. It's bad, but you gotta love it.

Angry Grimace

This is where you're wrong. Dragonball is a fighting/gag manga. If a character isn't involved in some form or another in the story, he isn't relevant, which Yamcha and Tien wasn't. Krillin filled the roll of a gag character in the Android saga. Yamcha and Tien didn't have any role in the Android arc aside from in the beginning which was very minor and irrelevant.

Even characters like Bulma managed to stay more relevant than Yamcha and Tien cause they filled a good portion of the manga's story as a side character.
I changed my mind about giving that response because even arguing the point implies that there's some legitimacy to the argument that that old characters are required to stay relevant at all times. What does it even matter if Yamcha was still doing anything in Chapter 300?

Is anyone actually holding out hope that Itachi and Sauce vs Kabuto + Kabuto flashbacks is going to be good from week to week?

I'm just waiting for any resolution to be dropped as focus jumps back to whatever Naruto's doing.
I assuming we're going to get a bullshit after the fact explanation of whatever Izanami does and why it's super broken. I mean, for fuck's sake, Itachi is fighting someone. He's fucking dead. It's not going to be a brilliant conclusion to this dumb, horrible fight. It was kind of a waste to have Kabuto have sage mode and not made him fight Naruto in sage mode. Maybe that would have been interesting.

Big One

Banned
Umm it matters because them staying relevant equates to their characters being involving with the world. When they aren't involved with the storyline like they once were, the story loses an aspect that shouldn't have been lost. It isn't that DBZ filled the void of a lack of Yamcha, Tien, and Krillin with anything good like other, normal stories do with abandoned characters. Without Tien and Yamcha, Dragonball became a POS manga with no personality, no real interesting continuity, nothing.

Angry Grimace

Umm it matters because them staying relevant equates to their characters being involving with the world. When they aren't involved with the storyline like they once were, the story loses an aspect that shouldn't have been lost. It isn't that DBZ filled the void of a lack of Yamcha, Tien, and Krillin with anything good like other, normal stories do with abandoned characters. Without Tien and Yamcha, Dragonball became a POS manga with no personality, no real interesting continuity, nothing.
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Edit: I think I understand what you're saying, but I don't think that it would have made a difference given the direction he took the plot in. The entire tone of the series was so different beyond 195 that I don't think those characters in particular had any relevant effect on the change in quality.

Big One

Banned
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. It makes no sense whatsoever.
That's because you have a lack of comprehension on what makes a good story or not. A good story does not abandoned characters and leave nothing to be desired in replacement of them. It would've been awesome if we shifted focus on Vegeta and get some legitimate character development from him in replacement for a lack of Yamcha, but nope. Nothing. Oh, how about giving Goku something to do other than shooting energy balls out of his ass? Nope. Basically anything good in Dragonball went down the shitter with the Android arc. No comedy, no badass side characters aside from like Piccolo or some shit, nothing. Android arc makes Boo arc look like a return to series form, cause at least Boo arc introduce Videl and Hercule to the story who are both cool/awesome and was basically a parody of the entire series.

Angry Grimace

That's because you have a lack of comprehension on what makes a good story or not. A good story does not abandoned characters and leave nothing to be desired in replacement of them. It would've been awesome if we shifted focus on Vegeta and get some legitimate character development from him in replacement for a lack of Yamcha, but nope. Nothing. Oh, how about giving Goku something to do other than shooting energy balls out of his ass? Nope. Basically anything good in Dragonball went down the shitter with the Android arc. No comedy, no badass side characters aside from like Piccolo or some shit, nothing. Android arc makes Boo arc look like a return to series form.
Dude, all I was saying was I didn't understand your sentence. That seems like a hilariously inappropriate ad hominem as a response given that we're agreeing on the qualitative analysis of the series.

Edit: I have no idea who Hercule is.

Double Edit: Hercule is Mr. Satan, and Mr. Satan was totally introduced in the Cell Games.

Averon

Naruto Spoilers
Izanami was set up from when Itachi was first stabbed with the sword.
Izanami also causes loss of eyesight.
Itachi explains why he used Izanami, how it's used, and also talks about Izanagi. Izanami is used in opposition to Izanagi.
In order to escape from Izanami you must accept the kind of person you have become and not run away from it. Izanami was a jutsu used to guide yourself to accept your destiny on your own.
Itachi used it as an act of kindness to Kabuto.
"All Kabuto wanted was to see who he was, to approve of who he was."

Elsewhere on a battlefield, Urushi is talking to his friends saying he hopes Kabuto comes back soon.

Itachi: "I'm now going to stop Edo Tensei."

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hahaha, I knew it would be something stupid like that.

It wouldn't work at all on Naruto.

Angry Grimace

Naruto Spoilers

No shit Izanami was set up from the beginning. Because it's by design dumb and broken because it's Eye Magic. Regardless of how they're describing it, its effect is as we assumed: an "I win button"

Hahaha, I knew it would be something stupid like that.

It wouldn't work at all on Naruto.

So yeah, nevermind on Izanami. Not really all that broken after all (in terms of what it does, it's still clearly an I Win button in the case of Kabuto) And yeah, it wouldn't do fuckall to Naruto.

Angry Grimace

So yeah, nevermind on Izanami. Not really all that broken after all. And yeah, it wouldn't do fuckall to Naruto.

Yeah, but the effect on Kabuto is a one-hit KO, which still reeks of lame, unless this becomes relevant later.

Bonus post: Regardless of the drawbacks, it doesn't matter since Itachi is already dead so it doesn't really matter what the permanent side effects are. What makes it broken and lame is the fact that Itachi had an unmissable attack which automatically defeated the guy he happened to be fighting, meaning the only thing that was ever at stake in the fight was....well, nothing. Itachi was already invincible and Kabuto never was capable of doing anything but getting hit and telling his shitty, by-numbers backstory.

Big One

Banned
"Izanami is used in opposition to Izanagi."

Wat I didn't even realize these were separate things, I always assumed that the same word was being used. This is some hardcore weeaboo shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom