• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunbo13

What the fuck happened in this thread.
They couldn't even wait for the chapters this week...SMH... See, weekend mangaf doesn't fight. We take our rage out on the manga and not each other. Therefore, we are a peaceful bunch and are scared of the Wednesday blood-shed. You horrible horrible people.

retcon:
DBZ is awesome.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Wednesday.
shit its wednesday.

I didn't even realize. Last Wednesday was when my finals started so this last week has been a shitstorm. At least they're over now. And at least I've got the big 3...wait no Naruto sucks. Bleach sucks right now. OP could either be great or suck any given week.

Back to depression.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This... this is the worst chapter of Naruto ever. Flowcharts now. Eye Hax are so broken they have to be described in depth with fucking flow charts. This is the weekly dose of shounen entertainment from Kishimoto's pen.

Whats next? A Venn diagram look at Ichigo's soul matter to narrow down what percentage of him is human, hollow, shinigami?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This... this is the worst chapter of Naruto ever. Flowcharts now. Eye Hax are so broken they have to be described in depth with fucking flow charts. This is the weekly dose of shounen entertainment from Kishimoto's pen.

Whats next? A Venn diagram look at Ichigo's soul matter to narrow down what percentage of him is human, hollow, shinigami?

I suppose you forgot how this isn't the 1st time Kishimoto does that in Naruto.

One Piece
This OP chapter was full of lol parts.
From chopper on Law head to him becoming handphone strap and bishonen Sanji .
We still not find out who the Yonkou they want to beat is but a pirate alliance with Law is awesome.
Plus this week has the most power monster of all time SLIME.

Zeppu

Law's expression when chopper was tied to his hat
= priceless

In fact I had already cut it out to post it here:

36yMb.png

Yea this whole thing pissed me off when i saw it happening as one of my favorite fights in all of series was the first Goku and Vegeta fight because of how fucking raw it was. Dudes beating the shit out of each other and Beam attacks that showed how powerful and draining it could be. Dragonball also had that as well (Yamacha's Wolf Fang Fist was pretty awesome also with buff Roshi doing a Kamehameha) but i watched DBZ first so my praise for DB won't be as great.

Then all of that was changed to super saiyan candy being handed over like nothing and teleport/fast fighting all over the fucking place :(

Late, but that is one of the things I liked in Dragonball and miss in the Z generation. Roshi was really cool when he was fighting back then and even Yamcha's wolf fang fist. Tien was also up there as well. Though I should have known Yamcha would be out of focus when he was eliminated in the first round of the final Tenkaichi Budokai back then. Now its everyone who is not fully human saying at every fight "its impossible, I can't win, hurry "piccolo or saiyan xyz".

One Piece

Chopper tied to Law hat was hilarious. The pirate alliance is awesome. Wonder what Yonkou it is?

All the giants monsters that appeared are clear references to Dragon Quest. Slime lol.

Kusagari

One Piece:

Great chapter. Really setting things up for the future with the Law alliance now confirmed. Also seems we got confirmation that only the Monster Trio can use Haki, which is a bit disappointing. Who isn't gong to have Haki in the New World?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
DRAGONS&
CENTAURS&
GIANTS&
HARPIES&
YETIS&
GIANT SLIMES.

you are probably the best One Piece arc. So much... going on.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
One Piece

Funny chapter. So many great comedy moments, like Law using Chopper as a keychain after the tied to his hat attempt failed (which was also hilarious). Poor Nami, always in the body of perverts.

And to quote Frank Zappa, I am the slime oozin' out from your TV set. Or in this case, comic book.

Steroyd

Naruto

Dear god, what the fuck was that shit!?

One Piece

Haha, Chopper on Law's hat was hilarious, and now a slime? Someone must be hyped for the new Dragon Quest game or something lol.

scy

I missed a weaboo fight? Goddamnit, I need to stop playing Diablo 3.

Every time I look up Aunt Tits to see what you guys are talking about I get linked back to this thread. What's the actual name of this godforsaken manga?

You actually searched for "Aunt Tits"?

Steroyd

Just curious, but how do you guys feel about "power exposition" in manga in general?

Is it just a bad thing as a whole, or is it sometimes done well? Any times you remember a power explanation or power-related exposition actually being good or mildly mind-blowing?

It can be done good, as others have mentioned Hunter x Hunter is phenomonal in that area.

The biggest issue with Naruto is that at first it explained things in an acceptable manner (Chakra flow, eye power balance, elements, bloodline limits etc), then it created bullshit, then it created bullshit ontop of bullshit, then it retconned it's bullshit ontop of bullshit to provide more bullshit, then the bullshit driven itself into a corner where you get... the latest Naruto exposition chapter.

And it all happens when the sharingan is involved, what a coincidence.

One Piece

God those Chopper x Law panels are hilarious, hahahah. I like how Oda manages to even
play a guy like Law for laughs without ruining him.

"Huh, you'll betray us? "
"No."

was probably the best bit of dialogue though.

That slime seems like it'd be a tough opponent and more so than that, a really bad mix for Law's fruit. Dissecting something that might just be a liquid mass won't do much good.

The implications of Law's dialogue are very interesting, apparently the "end" of this arc (defeating Ceasar Clown) will simply mean the start of the next arc? Or what?

This arc went from sorta just a casual arc to "oh geez this might be the start of a huge thing"-territory. I'm extremely curious where it'll go.

It can be done good, as others have mentioned Hunter x Hunter is phenomonal in that area.

The biggest issue with Naruto is that at first it explained things in an acceptable manner (Chakra flow, eye power balance, elements, bloodline limits etc), then it created bullshit, then it created bullshit ontop of bullshit, then it retconned it's bullshit ontop of bullshit to provide more bullshit, then the bullshit driven itself into a corner where you get... the latest Naruto exposition chapter.

And it all happens when the sharingan is involved, what a coincidence.

This is actually a good call. These explanations seem completely disjointed from previous worldbuilding, I remember when they were fighting bloodline limit guys in the war and it actually took me a while to realise what those were again. Most of it's jutsu system have been tossed aside the same way a lot of characters are.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Naruto: F-

Uh. What the fuck bro?

Like? What? What did I even just read? So basically Izanami is something that can be used on 1% of people and one of those 1% just happened to be the one person who is controlling Edo Tensei blahblahdefuckingblah

What's more disappointing than the fact that Sasuke didn't do a goddamn thing in this fight?

This is yet another fight where it boils down to love, friendship, and talk no jutsu. I mean really, Izanami "you break the loop when you realize who you really are!"...really? -_-

Why couldn't they have just killed the fucker for being an asshole? And has Kabuto set the record for biggest villain turned fodder in a matter of chapters...chapters numbering the single digits? I mean, he literally just finished talking about dragon shit and snake sages with turbans and pipes and now he's just kinda like...nothing.

Bleach: B+

WHOA. I expected this chapter to be shit just because the fight up until now has been shit. Of course, Ichigo still didn't do anything THAT relevant other than swing his sword down...but now that he's in Bankai I'm hoping that we get some more info on the whole bankai stealing thing.

Opie is a fucking boss. The parts with Inoue and hallibel's cronies was cool, shit felt really dire, I guess that none of them are special war potentials as Opie was about to murk them all. He's ugly as shit now too, but in a cool way. He just destroyed Ayon...

BUCKBEARD. SWAG. Did he just murk all those dudes? "I see. I guess that makes sense." He has the same kind of swag as Yamamoto. That's no coincidence. Where are the other Sternritters...did they just go to different locations? That's how I'd prefer it since Buckbeard seemed to be alone up there.

Will read OP later.

ryan13ts

One Piece:

Holy shit, Chopper being tied to Law's head, then to his sword like a doll had me nearly in tears, especially with look on Law's face. I'm still a little disappointed that we didn't get to hear which Yonko Law plans to take out, but I think it's safe to say it isn't Shanks since Luffy so readily agreed to the alliance. My bets right now are on Big Mom, considering the fiasco that went down on Fishman Island. We also FINALLY got confirmation that Zoro and Sanji can use Haki, but I'm still holding out hope that the others can learn it. I'm assuming that Luffy can just "tell" that Zoro and Sanji have the potential to use Haki, since none of their New World attacks they've shown so far have exhibited any use of Haki (With maybe the exception of Zoro's "Ashura", but that was pre-New World).

And did anyone else get a Magellen type vibe from that Slime monster at the end? Hell, before the finally page reveal, I could have sworn Magellen was going to pop out since that slime looks just like the poison from the Doku-Doku no mi. Either way though, the next few chapters should be ace. This is easily shaping up to be one of my favorite arcs so far in One Piece!

One Piece

I must admit, I’m surprised Luffy took up Law on his offer. Law clearly has no clue what he’s gotten himself into.

I'm sure Law knows.

He was there with the Tenryuubito incident and saw all the crazy stuff Luffy did with the war.

Because of this I'm more worried about how insane his plan must be. Even back when he saved Luffy he must've realised that being on the "good side" of someone as absolutely insane as Luffy would pay off in the end. Chances are he wants to abuse Luffy's crazy attitude for his plan.

Khezu

Naruto
This is fucking terrible, why did this need a full chapter of explanation.
Also izanagi require senju DNA and only lasts for 5 minutes at a time at the cost of an eye so one person can only use it twice, so how exactly was everyone and there mother spamming it so much that it would become a problem that would require such a random ass stupid justu like this to be made?

Steroyd

Naruto
Also izanagi require senju DNA and only lasts for 5 minutes at a time at the cost of an eye so one person can only use it twice, so how exactly was everyone and there mother spamming it so much that it would become a problem that would require such a random ass stupid justu like this to be made?

They all had sewn the face of the 1st hokage onto them obviously.

Naruto

Stop applying logic to Sharinganz.

Khezu

I really wonder why the Uchiha clan did not rule the world or at less Konoha .
The have to most broken stuff and now it seem the clan were spamming this shit that they needed a counter for it .

Because they were all too busy being crazy people, murdering there familys and best friends so they could get more powerful, and then wasting that power on a stupid justsu that makes you blind and useless.

Just you know, general incompetence.

PK Gaming

God I miss this place. I've been suffering from a bad cold / limited computer time so I couldn't really post but...

Sasuke

(Previous chapter): Hated it. Izanami is too strong. Invalidated the fight completely.
(Current chapter): I didn't actually hate it... I spent a good 2 minutes deciphering Kishi's explanation of izanami and that was somewhat fun. Giving the move a legitimate weakness is also good too.

Bleach
(Previous chapter): Ayon will do nothing, he's a joke. The elaboration on why the quincy's were exterminated was very good. The quincy dude's pretty strong.
(Current chapter): See what did I tell you. That quincy dude is ridiculously strong hah.

Sai

Heh. Figured the opinions about Izanami would change after it was explained further.

Still kind of ridiculous that you can ensnare someone with it without locking eyes with them. But the preparations, and conditions for it's release don't make it a very ideal technique for just any opponent.

Heh. Figured the opinions about Izanami would change after it was explained further.

Still kind of ridiculous that you can ensnare someone with it without locking eyes with them. But the preparations, and conditions for it's release don't make it a very ideal technique for just any opponent.

Well in theory it's extremely weak, except when fighting other sharingan users who use izanagi.

If Konan had Izanami in her fight with Tobi she could've ensnared him when he tried to perform Izanagi, essentially taking away his "choice" to avoid her final attack.

It'd either render Izanagi useless or it'd force him to use both of his eyes (I guess?) as payment.

As far as I can tell it's a move that is quite literally designed to fuck Izanagi users over when they rely too heavily on their overpowered destiny-changing power.

In a way I think it's pretty clever in theory. But it builds upon such a steaming pile of dookie, being a sharingan move, that it kinda comes across as just another power given to these already overpowered and annoying bastards.

upandaway

One Piece

Law's reactions made my sides blue. At least I know if I die from this, I'll die with a smile on my face.

The manner in which Luffy called out Zoro and Sanji's Haki was pretty badass. I wonder if they told him off-screen or if he just noticed it on his own.

And yeah this happened last week but this arc is getting pretty real. Like, really real. Law's 100% making this happen. If he wasn't in this arc it wouldn't have been nearly as awesome.

Meanwhile, Smoker is fighting his hardest just to deliver a message outside. What the fuck, Smoke? Seriously?

I'm sure Law knows.

He was there with the Tenryuubito incident and saw all the crazy stuff Luffy did with the war.

Because of this I'm more worried about how insane his plan must be. Even back when he saved Luffy he must've realised that being on the "good side" of someone as absolutely insane as Luffy would pay off in the end. Chances are he wants to abuse Luffy's crazy attitude for his plan.

oJfsV.png

Noblesse

Very good development between the cast. I really liked the interaction there. Very good chapter.

Bleach

Damn, Kubo said in the 3 weeks off, that SS will have a major disaster for the RG to interfere. Sucking SS of reshi is considered major disaster.

That´s one helluva ability, the VR have. It makes sense since it´s the extension to the one Uryuu used in SS to use the reshi from building in his fight with Mayuri.

Come on Buckbeard, destroy SS. He´s such a boss.

Naruto

I really liked the explanation. It made plenty of sense. But it´s still one hax ability.

one piece

Good informative chapter without being an info dump. I am going to guess the emperor will be Blackbeard.

survivor

Banned
Naruto

I'm not reading your damn stupid charts to understand how a broken technique works

One Piece

So no reveal of the emperor? Don't see why Oda wants to keep it a secret

upandaway

One Piece

It would shift way too much focus from the Caesar to what comes after him. It's not coincidental that Law points out right afterwards that he'll reveal the entire plan once Caesar's done.

Seems like standard practice to me. You want the readers thinking about this arc, not the next one.

One Piece

When the time comes we'll get a big full page zoom in on Luffy and Law and they'll go all "It's time to take down XXX!" with stern serious faces.

And everyone will go "wooo they're gonna take down xxx omg!"

Though judging by the reactions we can kinda figure who it is or isn't.

Shanks: not possible, Luffy's reaction would not be the one he had.

Blackbeard: Seems mildly unlikely to me, considering Luffy's rather passive reaction to the name. After all, in the past just hearing BB's name was enough to make him go "STERN ANGRY FACE".

Big Mum: highly possible. Nami reacting to the name seems plausible considering their awareness of her.

Kaidou: Could be it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Luffy doesn't even really "get" who Kaidou is. I'd imagine a more verbal reaction from either him regarding "what's a kaidou?" or Nami about "Taking on two yonkou at once!" if they went after him without any knowledge.

Unless his resentment over Blackbeard has vastly changed, Big Mum seems like the only one to provoke such a mild reaction. Though who knows, I might be wrong.

survivor

Banned
It would shift way too much focus from the Caesar to what comes after him. It's not coincidental that Law points out right afterwards that he'll reveal the entire plan once Caesar's done.

Seems like standard practice to me. You want the readers thinking about this arc, not the next one.

Fuck Caesar, he is too boring. Reveal the damn name so I can maybe pay attention to this arc instead of thinking of the awesome future fights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom